Awoo.

Sonic games you still play and why

PerfectChaos

Every Mega Drive game except for 3D.

CD

Adventure 1 and 2.

Heroes.

S4

Those are the ones i keep returning to over and over again.

All of them, except some of the game gear games. I even play shadow and 06, because despite their issues, I like playing with them.

Playing those games...it's kinda like playing in the mud. It gets you dirty and may even feel bad for getting dirty, but it's fun to play in. :P

All of them. Except for;

- Sonic Spinball both versions. Extremely unappealing games in difficulty, gameplay and tone.

- Sonic Chronicles. The game's utter shittiness and it's horrific mutilation of Sonic's character bores and angers me.

- The crappier Game Gear games like Labyrinth and G-Sonic. Why should I play them?

I sometimes play '06 for the lulz, laughing at it's pathetic story and hilarious-bad glitches and screwed physics. SatSR tempts me back with the Crest of Wind on the odd occasion. Unleashed and Generations are marvelous to replay again and again especially Unleashed and the main quartet of Mega Drive games are timeless classics that never get old IMO. Colours keeps tempting me to play it again and again despite it's short life span, the game is that good and appealing.

• Thumbs Up 1

About 10 years ago my response to this would likely have been "All of them". But being spoilt for choice of excellent games besides Sonic these days and having to prioritise work, my choice has slimmed down.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles

This game just doesn't get old. It doesn't matter how many times I have to start from the beginning on a new console, I love this game. I recently bought the DS Sonic collection for it. It's one of the older games where you can drop out and jump right back in without problems because of the save feature. It's long enough that you won't complete it in an hour (Or at least I can't!) and it was excellent regarding the story. It's also one of very few games where I will actually bother to finish it 100%.

Sonic Adventure

Admittedly I don't like SADX as much as the classic DC version, but I find I keep coming back to this game as well. I know a lot of people prefer the new controls of the modern 3D Sonic games, but I always come back to SA as my favourite of the 3D games because I feel I have more control over my actions. Despite the majority, I like Big! He may be slow and the fishing may not be exciting, but he has a different pace from the rest of the game. But my favourite part has to be snowboarding!

Sonic Adventure 2

Again, I preferred the DC version, but with my DC dead, I can only play the battle version. I really hate the Tails and Eggman portions, but I love everything else about the game. I especially love the Chao gardens and would often play the game just to raise my chao.

Sonic the Hedgehog '06

I absolutely love this game. Yes, some of the controls are irratating, the Sonic story feels like something out of Mario and there's a few parts of the story that should be carved out with a butcher knife, but I really enjoyed the story of this game, especially Shadow's section. More importantly, I enjoyed watching my best friend play it when she didn't have it, just to drive Shadow off of cliffs and hear his epic noooo!

Sonic the Hedgehog '06...

...the Sonic story feels like something out of Mario

What the hell kind of Mario have you been playing?!?

• Thumbs Up 5

Sonic rescues princess, princess gets kidnapped, sonic rescues princess again, princess gets captured again...

How many times has princess peach been kidnapped and rescued?

on the up side, at least peach isn't as irritating.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's rare that I go back to them now, simply because I've played them so much over the years, but:

Sonic 3 and Knuckles - The one I have spent the most time with and my favourite game of all time. It's still fun to relive the story and explore the levels again.

Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 - Despite their age, I still find them to be playable. Nostalgia helps of course, allowing me to look passed their flaws and enjoy them for what they did well. They contain a lot of elements I miss about the series, such as the focus on the cast, level identity (stage-specific gimmicks and badniks), the freedom to run up walls (i.e. Pyramid Cave) and roll (limited though it be), etc.

Sonic 1 & 2 - I may not find them as fun as S3&K, but they're still great games that I go back to now and then.

Generations - Since it hasn't been out very long, I've played this one the least. I do find myself returning to it more than I did Unleashed and Colours though, to whizz through the beautifully realised, nostalgic levels and bosses.

Edited by Pawn
  • Thumbs Up 1

I always pick up Sonic Adventure whenever it's re-released, I feel it was the last Sonic game to continue the tradition of Sonic-ish levels and stage music.. it also brings back memories when I saw the game early on in 1999 which blew my mind more than the Sonic CD animated intro back in 93

I also dust off the Gamecube every now and then and boot up my Japanese copy of Sonic Gems to play CD (it was a lot closer to the original than that weird re-make)

Sonic CD - I play through this game semiregularly. There seems to always be something new I find in this game; never mind how much I appreciate every little thing about it. Plus, trying to up my height on the scoreboards is pretty sweet.

Sonic 3K - Every time I pull out anything related to the Genesis I feel the strangest urge to play this game. Pop this bad boy in and see how far I get in collecting the Chaos Emeralds by the time I'm at Flying Battery, which is about the time I get tired of it. Even then though I seem to try to continue playing it just so I can go to Sandopolis, Lava Reef, etc since those are easily some of my favorite Sonic stages ever.

Sonic Adventure 1 - If I have a Dreamcast nearby this is gonna get played. I jump into Adventure Mode, run through the hubworlds and then play through every stage repeatedly; and in both action & adventure stages I see how much I can abuse the Spindash. Too much fun. Plus, nostalgiagasming every time I play the DC version is a big part of it too.

Sonic Unleashed - Talking to all the NPCs in the hubworlds, buying food and recalling Chip (and Sonic)'s reactions to it all, using the entrance stages as my playground and chillpad, and then taking a brisk stroll through the stages, daytime or nighttime, doesn't matter. I swear I can spend the most idle time with this game only because of how awesome it's atmosphere is.

Sonic Generations - When I get bored with the main stages (I never touch the missions minus that one with the wheels everywhere), 30 second trials aaaand the hacking scene. Especially the hacking scene.

Edited by Azukara

S3&K because it's available on freakin' every system. It's one of the best of the classic series and it's just about the perfect length too. When I play this game I make sure I have like 3-4 hours to do it in one sitting.

Sonic CD is also one of the best. I love this game because of how it represents a more platforming centered Sonic. I play the remake on the PS3. When I'm bored with other games I go at this for like a half hour.

The Sonic Rush series is another one that I can pick up and just do. I don't pick up my DS too often, but when I do (I prefer Dos Equis) it's usually for one of these two games. I love the tricking system so much.

8-bit Sonic 2. Maybe it's the incredible use of gimmicks in this game (minecarts, gliders, water skipping, zoom tubes) or a sense of nostalgia. I find Sonic handles really well and the bosses are all awesome.

Sonic Adventure is another one when I have my Gamecube plugged in. I love the atmosphere in this game and it's so accessible for a two or three level run. The overworld is so much fun to just mess around in.

That's about it! I don't own Generations or Colors or they might be on this list. Strangely I don't find much replay in Unleashed at all. If I owned a Wii I might also say Secret Rings. I played the hell outta Secret Rings.

Edited by American Ristar

I still play Sonic 1 occasionally. I play S3&K (my favourite 2d game) on Steam, but I don't play it that much. To be fair, I would play it a lot more if it was put on PSN (WHY HAS THIS NOT BEEN DONE!) along with 16:9 narrative. HD etc.

The classic game I play the most, is the Sonic 2011 re-release. It's a fantastic game. Two soundtracks and unlockable Tails, it's just a joy to play. It's also so easy to load up, being a digital download. I have played the game to death-and some. I can just so easily casually pick up and play the game.

Very occasionally, I play Sonic 3d Blast and Sonic Generations.

Oh and (as if you didn't know), I am playing the shit out of SA2 right now. I can see myself replaying that game quite a lot in the near future.

Edited by NightwingFox