Awoo.

Should Sally, Scratch, Grounder, etc show up in party games?

Multikaris

If it's just spin-offs I guess it's fine.

I just don't really give a shit about the vast majority of characters that exist outside of the game universe.

You do realize that those four characters have backstories that are completely alien to the game's universe. We are talking about a world where Robotization is canon compared to a world where the most horrible thing Eggman did to animals was stuff them inside machines and capsules, a world were there is a furry kingdom that Sonic has some allegiance to versus a world where Sonic is a wandering hero who does what the fuck he wants, I mean I don't mind a reboot, but we are only three games into this one. Can we at least give this one a chance before we turn Sonic into some knight of some furry kingdom because of some cartoon?

What are you going on about?

Of course, if it is some kind of spin-off, sure. Just no Sally. If you bring in Sally, the character has to be completely re-written. I mean seriously. She isn't worth the trouble.

What are you going on about?

I'm comparing the game's world to the comic's world and how those specific characters that you mentioned just would not make any sense at all even if they might be more interesting than the Rogues and Silver since their characters because their backstories are all tied to plot elements in the comics and,exclusively in the comics. It wouldn't make any sense to just bring them in.

Edited by turbojet

But it's a spin-off nonsense party game where none of that would be relevant or even mentioned.

Then they might as well not be in the game.

I don't see how that follows. It isn't as if most of the games of that ilk try to justify when, say, Sonic plays in a pinball tournament against characters from the NiGHTS series; or when no one in the game raises questions when he jumps in a car and races against Ulala.

Edited by Tornado

But why not, if they don't need to have any connection to this series. I like Spiderman, he's a fun dude, and I want to have fun.

Pretty disappointed that your response is to flip the checkerboard when someone says "king me."

Edited by Tornado

But why not, if they don't need to have any connection to this series.

..But the characters we're talking about do have a connection to the Sonic series, so what the hell are you talking about?

Edited by Chooch
  • Thumbs Up 3

I don't see how that follows. It isn't as if most of the games of that ilk try to justify when, say, Sonic plays in a pinball tournament against characters from the NiGHTS series; or when no one in the game raises questions when he jumps in a car and races against Ulala.

Ulala and NIGHTS are from separate games.First off, specify spin-off game. Are we talking, "a bunch of franchises getting together for some inncous activity" or are we talking about something completely exclusive to Sonic? If it is the former, I doubt Sega would even put them in, but if they do, sure, why not? If it the latter, we have a problem. They are so alien. Everything about them is completely alien to the games. Bunnie was/is/will be/probably not roboticized. A shit ton of her character is/was based on being half robot. The game universe has no concept such as this. Antoine was cowardly knight for a kingdom doesn't exist in the game. Rotor probably could make it without much discrepency up the point we take away elements such as "Freedom Fighter." Geoff is in the same boat as Antoine.

You can have their basic personalities there even without their back stories.

Quick question: What is Bunnie's personality without her back story?

I like how this topic is basically boil down to Game purists vs. Comic fans.

Except 1.) I read the comics and if certain characters are being transported to the games, you have to realize that certain elements have to be in tact and 2.) I realize that the game world is pretty damn loose in terms of plot devices, but the world in the comics is mostly concrete and defined. I'm saying that they clash.

Edited by turbojet

Except 1.) I read the comics and if certain characters are being transported to the games, you have to realize that certain elements have to be in tact and 2.) I realize that the game world is pretty damn loose in terms of plot devices, but the world in the comics is mostly concrete and defined. I'm saying that they clash.

It's a party game, I doubt people care about their back stories in any way shape and form.

It wasn't really that clever the first time.

Here is a better comparison:

Ultimate Marvel characters being placed in 616 Marvel.

Not to the games they don't.

Which is fine and dandy, but I think you'll find that's pretty damn close to irrelevant when they are putting together a roster for a party game for a franchise. If they made a Crisis on Infinite Earths fighting game, or a Turtles Forever action/platformer game, I don't think it would be too much of a stretch to see characters from the various universes within that overall franchise interacting with each other because that would be the point. I would be considerably more surprised if, say, Cyclops showed up in the middle of the game about DC characters and started eye-beaming people.

If it is the former, I doubt Sega would even put them in, but if they do, sure, why not? If it the latter, we have a problem. They are so alien.

I can't think of a game of that ilk that had a story more than a couple sentences long (if it has one at all), so I don't see how the distinction matters.

I like hot this topic is basically boil down to Game purists vs. Comic fans.

I don't like any of the SoA-produced media with the exception of AoStH. I just haven't seen a single argument so far that says why co-mingling in a non-canon spinoff party game makes any difference.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 1

Quick question: What is Bunnie's personality without her back story?

I'm not gonna write something, but here:

Sweet, gentle and maternal, Bunnie always looks for the brighter side of life and tries not to let the "lil' thangs" get to her. She's an optimist by nature and has a soft feminine charm and speaks in a heavy southern accent. She's somewhat pragmatic and down to earth, though she's also a good-natured flirt. Despite her girly ways, she has a tomboyish streak in her, especially when it comes to her love of sports (martial arts in particular). She's no pushover from either a physical or a mental standpoint, having a strong sense of courage and determination, and she enjoys competition, though she's never a sore loser. She holds deep love for her friends and family and while she's not afraid to speak her mind, she has their best interests in mind and is always willing to offer her support.

http://archiesonic.w...tte#Personality

Nothing has to do with her back story.

Edited by MarcelloF

I'm pretty sure things like a character's back story and all is irrelevant to a spin-off game when adding comic characters.

But considering that even in spin-offs Sonic characters get a lot of flak that is just flat out uncalled for, I wouldn't want that to happen with Archie characters coming in and adding to it. Sonic characters are picked on even in games like Mario and Sonic at the Olympics, simply because they were around in the game while Mario characters (generally) go scott free with some exceptions. The Rider's series are just more flamebait for them.

Were we not in this kind of situation, I probably wouldn't give much of a fuss about it. I mean, my answer would still probably be "no" but I wouldn't have much of a reason to say it when it wouldn't harm anything. But considering where things are now, I don't see much of a neutral perception of this.

Yes Sally should be in the games. I don't give a fuck about Scratch and Grounder, but I feel that the Satam and Archie characters can add a lot to the game canon.

I'd love to see Fiona in a Sonic game.

fiona_fox___evil___2011_by_earthwind_dk2-d362alh.jpg