Awoo.

Should Sally, Scratch, Grounder, etc show up in party games?

Multikaris

Oh nooo, how dare they put optional side-characters into a non-canon party game.

Seriously, you people are overreacting.

I like how whenever we're asked a question of "Should X thing happen" and we give the answer "no" and explain why, rather than simply disagreeing and saying "yes" - even in risk of criticism - someone decides to go the patronizing route and say everyone is overreacting for giving their answer.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic
  • Thumbs Up 7

It's all fun and games until people take a mile and demand Sega to give Sally a canon role.

I always think that's one of the two things that would send the Sonic fan base into a large uproar the likes no one has ever seen, the other being a hypothetical Sonic Adventure 3 announcement.

In all honesty, I think even introducing great characters like Scratch and Grounder would be problematic. The main reason Scratch and Grounder were SO...FUCKING...GAZE-MAZING was that they fit perfectly in with the wacky world the show took place in. Sonic's world, although not entirely serious any longer, is SEVERAL leaps and bounds away from the completely zany and non-continuous world of Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog.

If Cubot and Orbot were to adopt a few traits from them, however, I certainly wouldn't mind.

It's all fun and games until people take a mile and demand Sega to give Sally a canon role.

Honestly if it were one or the other I'd rather Sally (or whoever) be introduced into canon rather than just wandering into a spinoff. At least that's a sensible way for a character to enter a series.

So..uh. I like Sally, and even I think she shouldn't be in the games. Maybe a background cameo or something, but nothing bigger.

So..uh. I like Sally, and even I think she shouldn't be in the games. Maybe a background cameo or something, but nothing bigger.

People still use her appearance in Spinball as proof that she's canon.

It's all or nothing, buddy.

I don't understand why it would be such a problem for some non-game characters to appear in random Sonic party-type games. The game won't be canon, so it won't affect the "precious" game storyline or characters, and in return, exposes more people to the comics, resulting in more sales of the comics, leading to healthier franchise...

Not wanting them in a non-canon party/spinoff/bullshit game just sounds like rampant fanboyism to me.

Edited by ChaosXVI
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

I don't understand why it would be such a problem for some non-game characters to appear in random Sonic party-type games. The game won't be canon, so it won't affect the "precious" game storyline or characters, and in return, exposes more people to the comics, resulting in more sales of the comics, leading to healthier franchise...

Not wanting them in a non-canon party/spinoff/bullshit game just sounds like rampant fanboyism to me.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

The amount of SonSally vs SonAmy would triplify if this ever happened. Not that it doesn't already exist, but we REALLY do not need to add more fuel to this than we already have.

People who aren't hardcore fans are already confused about canons and shit. It would be like taking two canons and putting them together!

*explosion*

Seriously though, AVGN references aside having this sort of canon mix up wouldn't be fun for fans or even critics. Critics wouldn't appreciate it so much as get pissed off because "well why hasn't she been in other games" or whatever, and confusion would just lead to anger. Or something like that.

Edited by Semi-colon e

People who aren't hardcore fans are already confused about canons and shit. It would be like taking two canons and putting them together!

*explosion*

Seriously though, AVGN references aside having this sort of canon mix up wouldn't be fun for fans or even critics. Critics wouldn't appreciate it so much as get pissed off because "well why hasn't she been in other games" or whatever, and confusion would just lead to anger. Or something like that.

Even without adding SatAM characters, SEGA doesn't care about continuity or canon. They do what they want. And the question is about party games, which aren't canon anyway.

Not be fun for fans? Why not? Fans who like these characters would be happy to see them. Fans who don't like them, won't. This can be said about any character, though.

As for the critics, I doubt they care which canon they come from, or even know there are different ones. If they don't like extra characters, they'll complain about them whether they're from the game canon or other canons (Though, it would be quite dumb to complain about extra characters in a party game).

• Thumbs Up 2

And comics/cartoons fans demanding for these non-essential, non-canon foreigners to be introduced into the games reeks of blatant fanboyism to me as well.

Which perhaps would apply if we weren't talking about non-essential, non-canon games as well. You should also be careful using the word "demanding" when most of the people who aren't against it are only not against it because they don't see why not.

Yeah, SatAM Robontik showing up in the next main series Sonic game would be a fucking awful thing. A Turtles Forever-style excuse plot waggle fest party game? Who cares? Outside of worrying about people bitching about things like "OMG SonxSally!" and a bunch of other shit that people already fight about anyway, I'm worried more about having fun when I'm playing a game where Sonic plays tennis or soccer or whatever.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 2

I only say no because more than likely, those characters would be messed up and NOT like they are in their respected canon. Which pleases NOONE. Comic fans would be pissed Sally isn't doing A,b,c Sega fans pissed cause she's THERE, etc etc. And it could be something simply like they put sally in jeans or something. You really think her fans would like that much of a change? I don't think they would, if most of this fan base bitched about sonic's fucking eye color....

Edited by Vicki Turner

You really think her fans would like that much of a change? I don't think they would, if most of this fan base bitched about sonic's fucking eye color....

So since that never actually happened, you're saying that no one would have a problem with her portrayal?

Sure. I'd much rather see characters like Antoine, Rotor, Bunnie and Geoffery than Silver and the Rogues.

You do realize that those four characters have backstories that are completely alien to the game's universe? We are talking about a world where Robotization is canon compared to a world where the most horrible thing Eggman did to animals was stuff them inside machines and capsules. A world were there is a furry kingdom that Sonic has some allegiance to versus a world where Sonic is a wandering hero who does what the fuck he wants. I mean I don't mind a reboot, but we are only three games into this one. Adding characters that have so many plot elemts tied to them especially since said plot elements are completely foreign to the game is essentially rewriting a new universe and rebooting a new canon. Can we at least give this one a chance before we turn Sonic into some knight of some furry kingdom because of some cartoon? Why bother adding the characters if they aren't like their comics? They might as well be completely new characters.

Edited by turbojet

So since that never actually happened, you're saying that no one would have a problem with her portrayal?

It didn't? I remember people hating it, I might have jumped the gun by saying 'most' if so my bad. But I do remember a good number of people hating it. Not so much in adventure but afterward.