Awoo.

Other Villains in the Series

WarioBone

A new villain. A vampire who is sarcastic and has a crush on rouge. She does not want to return the favor. He has an affinity for fast food.

Fuck no! I love vampires, but the last thing that the Sonic series needs is vampires.

Silver is just like Raiden in MGS2. You can't help but like him. You want to hug him and yet at the same time kick his arse.

I think Knuckles should go evil again. Poor gullable Knuckles.

I can very well disagree with this.

Not once since the debut of Silver have I ever wanted to hug him. Only punch him in his fat marijuana head for being such an incompetent moron in 06 and for having a voice that rapes ears.

Generations managed to redeem him somewhat though.

Silver's not a good character, but because 06 was kind enough to erase itself from continuity he has the potential to be a good character both in gameplay and in characterisation.

Edited by SiLeNt PyRrH0n

I can very well disagree with this.

Not once since the debut of Silver have I ever wanted to hug him. Only punch him in his fat marijuana head for being such an incompetent moron in 06 and for having a voice that rapes ears.

Generations managed to redeem him somewhat though.

Silver's not a good character, but because 06 was kind enough to erase itself from continuity he has the potential to be a good character both in gameplay and in characterisation.

Fair enough.

I know Silver has been in other games but his appearance in Generations was very brief. I found it very hard to judge him in that game. Did Silver appear in any of the missions in Generations? I don't think he did but I can't remember.

Edited by MilesKnightwing

Did Silver appear in any of the missions in Generations? I don't think he did but I can't remember.

Nope. His role in Generations was limited to

1. Standing around in the hub world

2. Boss Battle

3. A few cut-scenes at the end of the game.

Silver did get a ton of exposure in a few other games though. He was one of a handful of main characters in both Sonic Rivals 1 and 2, and he did get some screen time in the story mode of Sonic Colors DS too.

I think if were talking personality, you really do need to look into what he did over in rivals. I thought he and Espio worked together pretty well over there.

Wasn't he kind of a dick in rivals?

Yep, but for all the right reasons. He did what he had to do.

The only thing I find that Silver shares to Raiden is his voice actor. :P Honestly though I don't think he shares a whole lot to MGS2 raiden.

• Thumbs Up 1

He was a dick in Rivals, insomuch as he would quickly resort to threatening telekinetic destruction if he felt anyone were an obstacle to his goals. But being that kind of uncompromising, idealistic asshole with powers is what makes Silver an interesting character because it's borne from inexperience and idealism, unique in a cast of heroes who are almost always in the moral and rational right anyway, and I kinda fear what people who don't like him would do to him and that part of his character if they had their way with him. xP

• Thumbs Up 1

He was a dick in Rivals, insomuch as he would quickly resort to threatening telekinetic destruction if he felt anyone were an obstacle to his goals. But being that kind of uncompromising, idealistic asshole with powers is what makes Silver an interesting character because it's borne from inexperience and idealism, unique in a cast of heroes who are almost always in the moral and rational right anyway, and I kinda fear what people who don't like him would do to him and that part of his character if they had their way with him. xP

Splash in a tad of ego and THAT pretty much.

I've always been afraid that people would miss these qualities behind Silver. Behind the cloud of "Its No Use" and the general 06 haze, Silver does have a lot of things going for him from a character standpoint.

• Thumbs Up 4

See thing is, Silver came off as far more whiny and annoying so any "interesting" traits he has are going to quickly be ignored. If the 06 wasn't such a shitty game, then Silver might have had a chance, but for me everything about him just screams "Shadow 2.0" with the whole "misguided Hedgehog who fights the hero before ultimately teaming up with him" angle. I mean if he wasn't such a blatant retread of Shadow, then I might be inclined to say he's interesting if a little flawed, but as it stands he's just another hedgehog to me.

I can understand how Silver can be annoying to people. I don't understand how Silver has ever been "whiny." Nor do I see how a disenfranchised, ignorant youth with telekinetic powers from a post-apocalyptic future is a retread of a biological super soldier who went rogue because his best friend was murdered.

• Thumbs Up 3

I can understand how Silver can be annoying to people. I don't understand how Silver has ever been "whiny." Nor do I see how a disenfranchised, ignorant youth with telekinetic powers from a post-apocalyptic future is a retread of a biological super soldier who went rogue because his best friend was murdered.

Because both characters were hedgehogs with new abilities never before seen before, with a backstory that's meant to make the audience sympathize with them, both characters more or less get the jump on Sonic, before ultimately realizing the error of their ways and becoming his ally. Both characters were introduced in anniversary titles, etc. etc. etc. I'm not hating on Silver for this fact alone, but how shit he is compared to his predecessor in this regard.

As for the whiny thing, it's more because of his voice actor but he sounded like somebody trying to be badass, instead of somebody who actually is. Perhaps whiny isn't the best word, grating would be more accurate.

"Shadow 2.0"

Silver flinched at the idea of killing 1 guy he didn't even know to save his Armegeddon-Apoocolypse Future.

Shadow had a whole game devoted to him screaming "I don't give a F#@K" and mowing down anyone and everyone.

Silver does what he has to within reasonable boundary's, but I wouldn't dare mistake him for a Shadow 2.0 by any stretch of the word.

Silver flinched at the idea of killing 1 guy he didn't even know to save his Armegeddon-Apoocolypse Future.

Shadow had a whole game devoted to him screaming "I don't give a F#@K" and mowing down anyone and everyone.

Silver does what he has to within reasonable boundary's, but I wouldn't dare mistake him for a Shadow 2.0 by any stretch of the word.

See post above.

"Bad guy with new powers who tries to stop Sonic for misguided reasons but accepts him as an ally after learning the error of their ways" is pretty much every single rival ever. It's an arc that's been explored for years, from Knuckles to Shadow to Chaos to Blaze to the Babylon Rogues to even Merlina. None of these characters are really retreads of one another until you start proceeding to break them down into such broad terms like that and ignore the key differences in character and development arc.

And I agree, whiny isn't the best word. It isn't for most characters, with perhaps the exception of Cream who cries when the TV goes out.

"Bad guy with new powers who tries to stop Sonic for misguided reasons but accepts him as an ally after learning the error of their ways" is pretty much every single rival ever. It's an arc that's been explored for years, from Knuckles to Shadow to Chaos to Blaze to the Babylon Rogues to even Merlina. None of these characters are really retreads of one another until you start proceeding to break them down into such broad terms like that and ignore the key differences in character and development arc.

That's why I like Metal Sonic. He just pure evil and wants to kill Sonic every time. Normally in a race.

I'd like Knuckles to go back to being an anti-hero. His beliefs seem to oppose that of both Sonic and Eggman, perhaps he could be some kind of medium? Meh...

Fack the Weaper (AKA Nang the Snipsel) should come back too. Of all of the crappy 90's rejects, he's the only one I think actually needs screentime. He's a bumbling fool from what I've seen, which could be interesting as an opposition to the great genius that is the Eggman.

Yanno how in Arkham City, we have Joker and Ra's al-Ghul as villains, but then there's Mr. Freeze, who's just a dick? Shadow and Rouge should just be "the dick" in the games. :P

Note, I said I wasn't judging Silver on that fact alone, but how crap his arc was in comparison to the others, adding on how unnecessary it was to make him a hedgehog if only to play up a similar angle to Shadow's, then yes he comes off as a failed attempt to recreate Shadow's popularity. I am aware the details are different, I just find it hard to ignore the general similarities between the two.

I didn't say you were judging him on that reason alone; Excluding the fact that I don't think Silver's arc was all awful, I merely disagreed with the substance of that reasoning considering Silver and Shadow aren't the only ones in the franchise who have gone through that exact same arc every other rival does. And the differences between them are so glaring anyway- from their personalities to their situations to their abilities to their relationships with Sonic- that it's a much tougher sale to say that Silver was created to repeat Shadow's popularity in any way more than merely being a new hedgehog character.

Fuck no! I love vampires, but the last thing that the Sonic series needs is vampires.

Or Werehogs.....oh wait.

Where'd all this Silver talk come from? I thought this was a topic about villains. Yes Silver gets way more hate than he should; he is actually a pretty cool character and I loved his 06' gameplay (go ahead and whine about "every character needs to be fast like Sonic" which they don't by the way) his gamplay was interesting and I liked the new elements it added to the series. As for the personality itself, yeah Silver can get on your nerves; his voice just grates on you and it doesn't help when he's going about throwing accusations here and there unwarranted, but that's all part of what makes him a good character.

Just because something is annoying doesn't mean it should be changed. Silver is naive and acts on hunches without any real thought, kind of unique as Sonic characters go. The only thing I'd wanna have changed was the fact he was made a hedgehog. Would really have preferred they went with the Mink route they were originally planning on making him.

Back on topic. I see a lot of people actually have some sense. SEGA you listening? Bring Nack the Weasel back you fools!

It amazes me how people can advocate for gameplay completely unfitting for this series, but then complain about how crap it is.

I didn't say you were judging him on that reason alone; Excluding the fact that I don't think Silver's arc was all awful, I merely disagreed with the substance of that reasoning considering Silver and Shadow aren't the only ones in the franchise who have gone through that exact same arc every other rival does. And the differences between them are so glaring anyway- from their personalities to their situations to their abilities to their relationships with Sonic- that it's a much tougher sale to say that Silver was created to repeat Shadow's popularity in any way more than merely being a new hedgehog character.

Yeah sure, the end result, they're different but I'm talking mainly about their introductions and roles in their respective introductions, which while every other rival has had as well, Shadow & Silver share more similarities in their case, and unless it was a massive coincidence makes me think they tried to bill Silver as the next Shadow.

• 5 weeks later...

I'd like Knuckles to go back to being an anti-hero. His beliefs seem to oppose that of both Sonic and Eggman, perhaps he could be some kind of medium? Meh...

Fack the Weaper (AKA Nang the Snipsel) should come back too. Of all of the crappy 90's rejects, he's the only one I think actually needs screentime. He's a bumbling fool from what I've seen, which could be interesting as an opposition to the great genius that is the Eggman.

Yanno how in Arkham City, we have Joker and Ra's al-Ghul as villains, but then there's Mr. Freeze, who's just a dick? Shadow and Rouge should just be "the dick" in the games. tongue.png

Maybe "the dick" alternates from game to game? Sometimes its Chaotix, sometimes its Omega...

Maybe "the dick" alternates from game to game? Sometimes its Chaotix, sometimes its Omega...

There are a bunch of characters that could fit that roll.

I think the Babylon Rouges could be a perfect fit if you wanted to slide them into place (its not like they are busy with anything else). They are already established as as a greedy group that isn't afraid of getting their hands dirty. They don't have to pander to the hero or the villain. They could literally just be there to "be in the way".

non-offensive screen time is a win-win.

The Babylon Rogues need to be bosses in a main game. Rouge said she would stop stealing in SA2. But she still does. Maybe the Babylon Rogues brainwashed her.