Awoo.

Final Fantasy XIII Lightning Saga

pppp

Here is some LEGIT gameplay from IGN of the game. You get to see the HUD and how battles really play out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vz3mvvHm3B0

I must say, even with the FF XV hype still with me this still looks pretty cool. For the 360 version it looks great too.

• Thumbs Up 1

I am SO hyped about this game! >w< It looks even more fun than XIII-2! At first I thought these changes are gonna suck but they proved me wrong!

Why can't February 2014 come any faster?! Square if you have a heart, please release a demo this year... T_T

OK, guys, so i have been checking out the full demo of Lightning Returns, so i finally saw the battle tutorials and now i fully get what journalists were saying about the combat being better. As for me...I...I lll....I lik.....I did like what i sawhappy.png

Now, I'm not saying the game is going to be good, I haven't played it, but i do like the changes quite a bit. Here's the video and below it I will proceed to explain what i like about the changes to the combat system:

1st point - OK, check out the first tutorial starting at 0:43.  We can move Lightning around like in Ni no Kuni, so now dodging attacks is possible, which will make combat more lively. It looks like she walks a little too slowly, but that may just be the guy who's playing taking it slow. I like the Schemata system better than the paradigms, the change seems faster and the lack of auto-battling pleases me.

Of course Lightning's victory pose at 1:46 is completely out of character and gratuitous fanservice, but of course I'm done expecting good storytelling from this trilogy

2nd point - OK, now check out the defensive tutorial at 3:03. It's not anything too big, but if you block at the right time the enemy will recoil which gives you time to wail on him, which will help you stagger him faster. the tutorial wont say that till the stagger tutorial appears though which brings me to point nº 3:

3rd point - At the 10:10 mark we have the stagger tutorial: Now it works with enemy specific weaknesses. In the previous 2 games, you just throw magic mindlessly till the enemy staggers, then switch to commando to drain his hp. do,rinse, repeat. As I've said before: all it did was make battles twice as long, it's the illusion of strategy. In here however you have to experiment with each new enemy to find his weakness, in this boss's case it's thunder magic, so casting it will make him stagger faster. I'm guessing hitting it with a spell he's resistant to will decrease the stagger wave(It's a electric wave around the enemy's hp bar that gets bigger as its near staggering point, not a gauge that fills). It's not much in comparison to much better JRPGs, but i think it is a HUGE improvement over the previous system.

So yeah, overall, i have to admit, I did like what i saw, these changes do indeed make me interested in trying the combat system. As Xenos said, combat in the previous games wasn't satisfying but i will have to play it to know if the same applies here.

Edited by Tetsuya Nomura

Well, I finished XIII before and although I didn't think the combat was necessarily as good as previous games I did like it, and I liked the story as well. This week I'm hanging out with my in-laws and I played through the main story of XIII-2 and I did like it as well. I'll admit, there's some flaws, but I still enjoyed it.

Personally, Lightning Returns looks pretty good, but I tend to prefer turn-based RPG's. I like the open world concept of it, though.

Hamauzu and VGO dicuss FF: Lightning Returns soundtrack (Destructoid)

Square's lineup at this E3 has been among the best in show, with Final Fantasy XV, Kingdom Hearts III and Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII tearing up the show floor. We managed to sit down with Masashi Hamauzu and Shota Nakama to talk about the soundtrack for Lightning Returns, and we can now exclusively reveal that in addition to having Hamauzu doing the music for the upcoming title, Video Game Orchestra will be orchestrating and recording the soundtrack at their studios in Boston.

"This was absolutely THE dream gig. I grew up playing the 'FF' series and have always loved them - I can recall so many great memories. I had never imagined I would be working on FF back then but I am incredibly, overwhelmingly happy that I did" Nakama says on his involvement as orchestrator and producer for the orchestra, before adding, "I received the music in April from Hamauzu-san. After that it was pretty much lock myself in my room writing scores everyday for hours."

Hamauzu himself was very much involved in the recording process as well. "I monitored most of the sessions online, but I also traveled to Boston to be there first-hand. There was no one else I wanted for this project, my first request for SQEX was to work with the VGO forLightning Returns."

When speaking about the musicians used for the game's 60 minute plus score, Nakama states, "We carefully selected the musicians for this recording because this is Final Fantasy - it has to present the highest quality. Not only that, we had to select the musicians who LOVE the music. Mainly the musicians were in their 20s-30s, the ones who grew up playing games. So naturally you can hear more emotions in the performance - joy, sadness, passion, and all kinds of things. Also the two engineers I had for this project, Falk and Alvin, were absolutely fantastic. They instantly understood what Hamauzu-san and I wanted from the music, and they just made things happen, you know?"

Nakama also responds with excitement when asked if Lightning Returns would become part of their touring live show lineup, quickly answering "Absolutely! We would LOVE to do that!"

Be sure to check back for more news on Lightning Returns, and check out the game when it releases on February 11, 2014.

Ok, sounds all goo-.......wait a fucking second....

So naturally you can hear more emotions in the performance - joy, sadness, passion, and all kinds of things. Also the two engineers I had for this project, Falk and Alvin, were absolutely fantastic. They instantly understood what Hamauzu-san and I wanted from the music, and they just made things happen, you know?"

Also the two engineers I had for this project, Falk and Alvin, were absolutely

I had for this project, Falk

Falk

No fucking way. *checks Retro*

Yes that's the same Falk that's on our forums.

zim-dib-mind-blown.jpg

Unbelievable. we sonic fans are talking over the industry.

• Thumbs Up 1

This would be phenomenal in literally any other game but this one.

Well you know, and the Xbox ONE's library, but you get what I mean.

Best regards to Falk, though, lucky guy. I hope his talent gets put to better use in the future. He's more than earned it.

Edited by Sixth-Rate Soma

Okay I don't know a damn thing bout FF, but seeing a member of the lovably wacky Sonic community get into legit VG music for such a big old game is really fucking awesome. Congrats to him, I don't know the guy personally but still, congrats, it's a real achievement and super kudos to him.

I dont care about 13 to be honest, but this is great for Falk. Hes made it big!

And we know him from a tiny not very heard of Sonic fangame. God hopefully this will land him in with SEGA one of these days, then he would be elbowing it with the best composers of current sonic music.

I'm buying the soundtrack, hell I'm buying 2. Sonic Retro breeds success!

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh wow, seeing how the combat works, it actually looks really fun, like an actual improvement over XIII's combat system. Maybe...hm...maybe this game will be...okay.

Still, though,

ffxiii_lightning_miqote.jpg

......................................................................................................................................................................................................

This gratuitous, senseless fanservice...it...it hurts. It really, really hurts me.

Oh wow, seeing how the combat works, it actually looks really fun, like an actual improvement over XIII's combat system. Maybe...hm...maybe this game will be...okay.

Still, though,

......................................................................................................................................................................................................

This gratuitous, senseless fanservice...it...it hurts. It really, really hurts me.

Yep...at least is not as bad as Serah's bikini outfit. Before you know it there will be a "Get Naked" DLC costume. She looked fine in 13 and that game had no costumes.

Before you know it there will be a "Get Naked" DLC costume..

...Final Fantasy XX-XIII?

Rated TM for "Toriyama's Waifu"

I'm so sorry that was terrible and unfunny and I am bad please forgive me

Edited by T-Man

...Final Fantasy XX-XIII?

Rated TM for "Toriyama's Waifu"

I'm so sorry that was terrible and unfunny and I am bad please forgive me

Final Fantasy 33. Yeah, that game will be for adults only alright ;)

Catgirl costumes are popular in Japan though...

That doesn't change the fact that it is degrading to women. As a feminist, this offends me quite a bit. Is this what Lightning, who despite her lack of complexity, was at least a strong dignified female character? Now she's just spanking material?

• Thumbs Up 3

That doesn't change the fact that it is degrading to women. As a feminist, this offends me quite a bit. Is this what Lightning, who despite her lack of complexity, was at least a strong dignified female character? Now she's just spanking material?

...it's just a costume. I know an international friend that wears cat ears from time to time. I don't see how it is offensive for the Japanese or us even and I'm female. This isn't even Lightning's official costume for the game.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but did Noel from XIII-2 get costumes too?

Edited by Ming Ming Hatsune
  • Thumbs Up 2

Final Fantasy XIII: Lightning was strong non-sexualized at all

Final Fantasy Lightning Returns: We can dress er up and all sorts of outfits. Yeah!

...it's just a costume. I know an international friend that wears cat ears from time to time. I don't see how it is offensive for the Japanese or us even and I'm female. This isn't even Lightning's official costume for the game.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but did Noel from XIII-2 get costumes too?

I find Lightning's victory poses and suits offensive because they're made specifically to show as much of her skin as possible for fanservice, kinda like in Twilight where they keep all werewolf boys shirtless. Yes, the once upon a time greatest JRPG franchise is now taking things from freaking Twilight.

I find Lightning's victory poses and suits offensive because they're made specifically to show as much of her skin as possible for fanservice, kinda like in Twilight where they keep all werewolf boys shirtless. Yes, the once upon a time greatest JRPG franchise is now taking things from freaking Twilight.

It was one victory pose that was out of character, the rest are fine according to the videos I've seen.

I understand what you mean, but Square is catering the Japanese audience, specifically men sadly. And not all of her costumes will show a lot of her "skin", I remember seeing one costume that didn't have much skin.

Her style from the original 13 seems pretty gone either way. I just want her original costume and stance back.

I dunno, taking away her old stance just feels like if Cloud held the Buster Sword in a reverse pose or something.

I am very upset that FFIII and FFV with their job systems similarly allowed you to dress up the characters in a bunch of costumes. Seriously. Especially the Dragoon class. Those wings-for-ears are so degrading.

This would be phenomenal in literally any other game but this one.

Well you know, and the Xbox ONE's library, but you get what I mean.

I assume we can expect to see your musical talents in an upcoming AAA game that isn't Final Fantasy, then?

Edited by GerbilSoft

Lightning_Farron_wallpaper_by_CharlotteL

As far as I can see, she was already good looking. The new costumes are stupid.

I assume we can expect to see your musical talents in an upcoming AAA game that isn't Final Fantasy, then?

Please don't bring the bullshit "Let's see you do better" argument into this.

Edited by Solkia
  • Thumbs Up 2

Her outfit in XIII wasn't bad-looking on its own merits, but it was a little weird. Literally no other soldier in the game wore an outfit anything like Lightning's, and I'm pretty sure we saw her wearing it when she was supposed to have been on duty.

It would've been fine if they'd put her in a mook suit in flashbacks and had her change into a civilian outfit before boarding the purge train, but... nope. Apparently she just happened to be the only Sanctum trooper who got to wear a miniskirt to work.