Awoo.

The humans in sonic unleashed.

Djawed

I remember, but the genessis(mega drive) series indeed has some seriousness and dark themes(some music tracks, some levels). And you know..Every series MUST evolve. I think it's not a good idea to look so far. I enjoyed playing sonic games since Sonic the hedgehog 1, i liked Sonic 2 very much and i adore Sonic 3 & Knuckles, but i became a fan after Sonic adventure. This game has a lot of aspects which fit Sonic perfectly and animeish-looking humans is one of them.

Sure, Eggman from that old(VERY old) art looks kinda childish, but childishness ends there.. I can't find anything else that looks childish in megadrive games. But Sonic unleashed has lotsa childish things: humour, humans, chip(he's annoying as hell), werehog(he was supposed to be the dark side of Sonic, but..he doesn't look so at all.. Well, i hope you see what i mean.. Though, i like unleashed's design of SOME levels(shamar night,adabat the most)And i hope to see that kind of levels again.

P.S. Sorry for bad spelling if i made some mistakes^^

Oh, yeah..Everything i said is my opinion only)))

Edited by ArtFenix

I went to the beginning of the topic to see what I wrote in May, and I agree with past me. :P

These animated looking guys have "ugly" exaggerated features in order to make them individuals. The Pixar style is a fine style, it's kind of "cartoon real". Maybe anime would've been fine with classic Sonic, since early Japanese models were very anime in design. But these guys fit in with Unleashed and modern Sonic, even Eggman. I think whatever the visual human theme is, Eggman can be tweaked to match. If you look at the OVA, Sera and the President are anime-styled and Eggman is the most anime-styled out of all his designs. Modern Eggman isn't far from Pixar anyways, IMO. He's just round like an egg instead of typical fat person fat, which is a deliberate part of his design. He's also got a red nose, which Unleashed actually modifies. In the past the nose was red enough to look like a Mr. Potato Head part, but Unleashed blends it with the rest of his face. So if you change the humans you tweak Eggman. He should remain consistent with whatever human visual theme, because he's human too.

Anyways, something about Wentos I've wanted to say for a while. He looks like Andy Capp, just a nose and a hat:

ac01_large.jpg

Edited by Ezra the Badnik

I remember, but the genessis(mega drive) series indeed has some seriousness and dark themes(some music tracks, some levels).

The Genesis were more light-hearted than they were serious. Very, and I mean VERY few of the music and levels were serious compared to the overall tone of the games themselves.

Sure, Eggman from that old(VERY old) art looks kinda childish, but childishness ends there.

No, the look is still goofy and cartoony to this day.

I can't find anything else that looks childish in megadrive games.

The badniks and bosses? Those were among the most childish looking things in the eariler games, though the bosses did take a slightly edgier look when it got to Sonic 3.

But Sonic unleashed has lotsa childish things: humour, humans, chip(he's annoying as hell), werehog(he was supposed to be the dark side of Sonic, but..he doesn't look so at all..

Humor: what's wrong with having something to enjoy and laugh at? It's what keeps Sonic as a fun cartoon level and not treated as a generic dark story as most received games are nowadays.

Humans: Not sure what to say for this, other that they fit a lot better than a lot of past models did.

Chip: don't see how he's annoying. And if you bring up the ghost scene as an example again, then you're really being desperate for an excuse.

Werehog: Of all things was among the LEAST childish things in the game. He was really the same Sonic in spirit, but he really looked more like a monster in form. That's not anything close to childish.

Oh, yeah..Everything i said is my opinion only)))

Now to everyone here, you don't have to throw out the "it's my opinion" card as a safety measure so no one calls you out on it.

Whether it's an opinion or not (and we should all know that our views are our opinions), anything you say here can be used against you regardless. We can respect your opinion, but we can also disagree and let it be known as well.

• Thumbs Up 2

I think the humans in Sonic Unleashed fit in as good as a human could. But I do agree that they don't need so damn many of them. Sonic use to be mostly all animals with one human. I don't mind having humans in the game, but having only the main characters as animals is to much like Sonic X. What next, is Chris going to come in to take Chip's place?

Most fans of sonic hated the unleashed humans so yeah i would say kill and burn em all.

Edited by Dark Motor
  • Bad Quality Post 2

Most fans of sonic hated the unleashed humans so yeah i would say kill and burn em all.

I'm sorry. Who are you speaking for again?

On Youtube and gameing websites.....sorry i have to make my sentance longer for the bast-err staff.

Edited by Dark Motor
  • Bad Quality Post 3

^ Granted that audiences might not expect humans, because many are familiar with Eggman as the only human or SatAM from the classic days. Still, the series moved past that a long time ago. What I want is more furry NPCs.

I honestly don't see a problem with a character as realistic and attractive as Elise for example, to stand side by side with sonic or his friends.

I like what the user Nepenthe said in one of her posts. It adds a sense of something... like uniqueness. Adds to sonic's physiology.

The Zelda series for example actually has a clashing character art direction. Majora's Mask for example, look at a character like the Postman, and look at Link.

Edited by lounge
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I honestly don't see a problem with a character as realistic and attractive as Elise for example, to stand side by side with sonic or his friends.

When one character's hands are large enough to crush another's head... In my mind, that presents a problem. 8D;;;

Sign me up for the Unleashed humans for reasons I would only be repeating at this point. -twirls away-

I don't have a problem with there being lots of humans, so long as we have lots of anthros, too, which isn't the case. On the subject of "large variety of appearances," that doesn't have to be restricted just to the butt ugly appearance for the humans. They can use the style of humans from other games that isn't too realistic or too cartoony and still have a larger variety of NPC looks.

On Youtube and gameing websites...

They don't speak for the fanbase. No one does with one this divided.

• Thumbs Up 1

I honestly don't see a problem with a character as realistic and attractive as Elise

Am I the only one who though Elise wasn't that attractive? The anime-styled Sara from the Sonic movie was more attractive than Elise in my opinion. But maybe that's just me. haha

• Thumbs Up 1

Am I the only one who though Elise wasn't that attractive? The anime-styled Sara from the Sonic movie was more attractive than Elise in my opinion. But maybe that's just me. haha

Sometimes she looked okay, at least when you could actually see her chin, but it was hard to see past the plague that she was on this series.

The badniks and bosses? Those were among the most childish looking things in the eariler games, though the bosses did take a slightly edgier look when it got to Sonic 3.
I think robots from heroes and unleashed look more childish, than any badniks.

And if you bring up the ghost scene as an example again, then you're really being desperate for an excuse.
There are some more scenes where chip pisses me off, like this one on the screenshot. Or those scenes with "want some chocolate?". In my opinion, sonic riders has the best kind of humour.

The least childish thing in sonic unleashed is dark gaia))

Whether it's an opinion or not (and we should all know that our views are our opinions), anything you say here can be used against you regardless. We can respect your opinion, but we can also disagree and let it be known as well.
Yes. You have a point^^.

post-254-125380892045_thumb.jpg

I think robots from heroes and unleashed look more childish, than any badniks.

Funny, cause the badniks have a much cuter look than any of the ones from Heroes and Unleashed.

There are some more scenes where chip pisses me off, like this one on the screenshot. Or those scenes with "want some chocolate?". In my opinion, sonic riders has the best kind of humour.

I'm having a very hard time understanding why you would get pissed off a Chip when he says "want some chocolate?" I don't see how that was humorous either. It's more of one of those things that really doesn't mean much of anything to worry about, while some folks may find it cute.

The least childish thing in sonic unleashed is dark gaia))

Yes, but the Werehog is right up there next to Dark Gaia. Something that looks like it can rip you to shreads is not something one would call childish, though some people have the balls to call him adorable...I don't get it myself, but I'm not worried.

I'm having a very hard time understanding why you would get pissed off a Chip when he says "want some chocolate?" I don't see how that was humorous either. It's more of one of those things that really doesn't mean much of anything to worry about, while some folks may find it cute.

Maybe you're right, but it doesn't look cute for me.. I just don't like chip and everything he does.

Funny, cause the badniks have a much cuter look than any of the ones from Heroes and Unleashed.

This is much more cuter)))And i don't find it childish.

post-254-125381124876_thumb.jpg

• Bad Quality Post 1

The most childish thing from the whole game was the game it's self, its weird how unleashes gameplay was kind of directed to the older fans but the story was at 3 year olds.

• Bad Quality Post 1

This is much more cuter)))And i don't find it childish.

Most of the enemies in Heroes and Unleashed were far from cute. And cute plays a part in something that can be childish in appearance.

They had a sort of wacky look for them, and they may not be appealing on the eyes. But childisn isn't a word I would use to describe them.

The most childish thing from the whole game was the game it's self, its weird how unleashes gameplay was kind of directed to the older fans but the story was at 3 year olds.

If you want a story made for a 3 year-old, look no further than Heroes. Unleashed is nothing childish compared to that.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

I really liked it, I thought it was original and it made the characters all the more unique.

I guess exaggerated features wouldn't be considered conventionally beautiful, I think they are. I consider myself to be an anime artist so while I like the style, I do think that the Unleashed characters fit best, there are more possibilities thar way. It looks great up against the Sonic characters.

If you think about it, Sonic looks like a tricked out Mickey Mouse ((lol)) and while the heroes and heroines are always really pretty and simplified, the supporting cast in Disney films is always full of characters with over exaggerated features and I think they're all great.

• Thumbs Up 1

I like what the user Nepenthe said in one of her posts. It adds a sense of something... like uniqueness. Adds to sonic's physiology.

Clashing styles got old with Aqua Teen Hunger Force. I'm guessing you're referring to the juxtaposition between the two, but that really doesn't work with such contradictory styles. The suspension of disbelief collapses hard. Worse yet, that was kind of the point to that game, to make Sonic look plausibly real.

The Zelda series for example actually has a clashing character art direction. Majora's Mask for example, look at a character like the Postman, and look at Link.

Every character in that game has the same art style, from the tiny plant people all the way to the giants at the end of the game.

Every character in that game has the same art style, from the tiny plant people all the way to the giants at the end of the game.

I was referring to body and face structure. In Twilight Princess, Link looks as close to human as us, yet, a character like Malo (kid from ordon village) could fit right into Unleashed. Just add GI lighting to him.

But maybe it has to do with the in game graphics in Sonic 06 that made things look off between sonic and elise, and the other humans. In the opening CG movie, when sonic holds elise in his arms to save her, does it still look strange even with those graphics?

06 is not a good example of how humans should be. But that whole game was a failure. I enjoyed the game a lot but there were so many things wrong including the humans. Sonic himself looked like a giant next to elise. They failed so hard in that game

I was referring to body and face structure. In Twilight Princess, Link looks as close to human as us, yet, a character like Malo (kid from ordon village) could fit right into Unleashed. Just add GI lighting to him.

But maybe it has to do with the in game graphics in Sonic 06 that made things look off between sonic and elise, and the other humans. In the opening CG movie, when sonic holds elise in his arms to save her, does it still look strange even with those graphics?

Then why did you specify Majora's Mask?

Yes.