Awoo.

Nintendo @ E3 2012 | The Mayans Were Not Ready | 5 Days

Patticus

At this point, I really wish they'd use the genre variety for some other franchises.

Like... why the fuck did we get another Mario Kart game when we haven't had an F-Zero game in years?

• Thumbs Up 5

That a little be too much labelling on your part. For a while now I've had a Diddy Kong avatar. And at no point in time say that I was better than any fans of other franchises. But it seems to be ok for you to bash on the fans of the Mario series right?

Edited by Dissident

Here's the fun thing about that. They don't care. Don't get so mad about video games, bro.

• Thumbs Up 4

Here's the fun thing about that. They don't care. Don't get so mad about video games, bro.

You know, by that logic, why does anyone even bother saying anything about E3? It's not like it amounts to anything when each company just keeps doing its own thing anyway.

The irony here. Ooooh, the irony.

Is it wrong for me to say that I think Nintendo should stop making Mario a priority over everything else? Is that it? Because I hate to break it to you, bro, but uh... a long time ago there was this game called F-Zero GX that I enjoyed more than any Mario game I've ever played. Where's my sequel? Or how about a Star Fox 64 sequel? Or some mention of Kirby's 20th Anniversary? Who am I kidding, they completely forgot about Metroid's 25th! Silly me!

Then I'm going to continue complaining about it because Mario's boring as shit and Mario Kart is a shitty game.

Oh my! Did I say that out loud!?

I'm not sure if this could be called irony, considering our fanbase isn't exactly guilt free of getting mad at games (Granted SEGA does tend to listen more; perhaps a little too closely, but I digress.).

Tell that to Microsoft who are clearly more interesting in selling you apps for the Xbox 360 than games.

You know, by that logic, why does anyone even bother saying anything about E3? It's not like it amounts to anything when each company just keeps doing its own thing anyway.

The fact that you like Mario doesn't make you better than fans of the franchises Nintendo's been completely ignoring for years now.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wow, I'm sensing some pretty nasty vitriol in this thread, now.

So, since I'm also a Mario fan does that put me on the same level of assumption that I'm better than the other fans of Nintendo's game franchises for wanting some new titles each year, because that's the vibe I'm getting.

Is it wrong that I expect a couple of Mario games every year, like Sonic fans do for their own titles when they look forward to what SEGA has in their line-up? No, of course it does not. I think Nintendo is stretching their creative teams a bit thin, however, and should assign the teams to a different franchise or create a complete department dedicated to a genre because I also look forward to other house titles - I mean come on most of them are planted firmly in my childhood.

And of course Mario gets better treatment than any of the other house franchises, because he's the titular moneymaker, he transcends all ages and has been cemented as my generation's video-game version of Mickey Mouse whether you like it or not. He's the big boy they expect to cash in on because he makes the most profit for the company, just like Sonic is for SEGA.

Do I agree with that sentiment? Not really. Do I wish they would focus on another house franchise or spinoff? Yes, but we also need to be realistic if we are to expect that they should give Mario a one year absence.

At this point, I really wish they'd use the genre variety for some other franchises.

It seriously bugs me that this one franchise (that I admittedly don't even like) gets better treatment than every other property Nintendo's ever made.

• Thumbs Up 1

So it was just more of the same was at the E3 conference? Damn. Three seperate conferences (Nintendo Direct, the actual main E3 press conference, and the 3DS conference) and for the most part Nintendo failed on the first-party support homefront in all three. Incredibly dissapointing.

The only non-Nintendo games revealed at this E3 that I was interested in this year was Guacamelee! and Watch Dogs. Aside from those two games, the obligatary new Mario, and the updated specs of Wii U; this year's E3 was a total turd for me (ASR:T, LBPK, and Sony Smash Bros. are fine with me though). Anyone hoping that the yet-to-be-revealed Nintendo game that IGN is tight-lipped about should have properly lowered their expectations, I'll expecting it to be NintendoLand: Sports Edition or something similar.

Hopefully this year's gamescom and TGS will live up to expectations.

Edited by Zinos

It could just end up being Fire Emblem: Awakening but, I don't know about that since IGN was tweeting about that and junk.

Why make two Mario platformers at the same time when they could have gotten another Kirby game out? It seriously bugs me that this one franchise (that I admittedly don't even like) gets better treatment than every other property Nintendo's ever made.

This one kind of answers itself, really. the mario games are simply better. Kirby's last greaat game was probably super star, and since then he's wallowed in weird experiment type games or half baked super easy uninteresting platformers. If you don't like that, sucks for you but I find it hard to believe someone could actively dislike 3D Land or the Galaxy games.

Mario, with the exception of NSMB has been starring in constant classics. if the team at nintendo are on fire making awesome mario games, let them continue, I say.

And as a call back to F-Zero, firstly GX probably has more content then one person could rationally complete/get bored with in one life time, and secondly I wouldn't even want another F-Zero unless the SEGA boys who did the last one come back.

Also, whilst many of these franchises have been on the back-burner for quite some time, I fully expect Kirby at the least to make a Wii U appearance. I know it's been a long time since the last console launch but people should be mindful that most console launches don't have shit in the way of games. Remember what the Wii launched with? the Gamecube? I'm quite frankly amazed we even have Mario this time.

One of these days they are going to milk Mario so much that people will be sick of just seeing him. They really need to give him an extended vacation (AND NO, not like the Delfino vacation, a real one), and allow the other IPs to shine.

Have you ever considered that maybe they can't give him a vacation right now, because Mario is the most widely recognised Nintendo character by far, and compared to him all their other franchises are niche products? They need to radically increase their other IPs' brand awareness and they can't do that simply by releasing new 'main series' installments. They require a gateway product or two or three and they need them to be really successful sales-wise.

Is it really a crime to want to see new installments of different IPs instead of Mario? Dissedent probably could've chosen his words better, but still...

You honestly act like Mario games being released mean other games can't be. There's like ONE Nintendo development team that makes Mario games.

Mario's pretty much the main reason Nintendo consoles sell. There's the pokeymans but those don't do much on the console space, Mario works in both. Of course they're gonna whip their best teams and blank checks on the plumber franchises. Similarly, if Microsoft stopped milking dem Halos they'd last less than my attention span during their conferences. That's how it is.

But, look at it this way: part of the profits generated from the n-th Mario platformer can be funneled into continuing lesser (but superior) franchises such as Metroid or Ouendan.

I agree that some diversification on their other IPs would be nice, if only so we could get a Paper Ridley RPG.

Yeah, it reminds me of some other character that is focused on heavily at the expense of other franchises.....hmm, what was it...oh yeah.

Sonic.png

And never mind the fact that in the case of Sonic it's even worse.

Well to be fair SEGA doesn't really have any other franchises that are extremely popular and well known world-wide besides Sonic. Nintendo on the other hand does(Zelda, Donkey Kong, Kirby, F-Zero, Metroid, etc.)

Is it really a crime to want to see new installments of different IPs instead of Mario? Dissedent probably could've chosen his words better, but still...

It's not a crime at all, but I guess Nintendo wants to expand their audiences first, and that won't happen unless there is a gateway to get new people into them.

Plus, we've never had it so good, Mario-wise. In the GCN "glory days" we had one main series Mario game and a couple of Papers and that was it, but now we're being fed an embarrassment of Marios of different styles on different platforms and people are whining? Christ. I want other IPs as much as you, but there are certain realities you have to face up to, like there being no other big Nintendian IPs ready for the WiiU's launch period (which was their sole home console focus this year), and previously relatively niche 'other' franchises being in dire need of audience expansion via the fantastic game collection that is NintendoLand.

I'm still waiting for In Soviet Russia, Pokemon Snap U, Nintendo.

That, Metroid, Aliens and Fatal Frame and the four most obvious games for the system. Only one is confirmed, and it isn't even either of the camera-based ones.

• Thumbs Up 1