Awoo.

Unpopular Sonic opinions!

Alice Twilight

In fact, I would go as far to say I never once heard the word "physics" mentioned within the Sonic fanbase before that original 5 second teaser for Ep 1 popped up.
Then you weren't paying attention.
  • Thumbs Up 2

See, by this point saying I liked Sonic 4 ep 1 and still do doesn't have any shock value anymore. So instead I'll say that I like Silver better than Shadow. No, really. Even before Silver got recycled into a really cool boss in Sonic Generations.

Shadow was great in Sonic Adventure 2, but having fully explored his backstory and completed his character arc in the first game, it got annoying how much story focus he got in future games. Amnesia in Heroes was just retracing character development we'd already finished and doing a stupid "is he the real Shadow?" mystery bit that wasn't any more interesting when Spiderman did it. Then in Shadow's own game all we got was repeat of his character development in SA2, again, and a ridiculous reveal that absolutely no one thinks wasn't pulled out of the ass (he's really an alien spawn? Oh god). Shadow's character and story was actually pretty good in Sonic 06, but by then it was too late.

At least Silver brought something new to the table. I'll still be happy if we never ever see Silver again, but I'd rather have Silver than Shadow, thanks.

• Thumbs Up 4

Sonic Shuffle is godlike. It's an immensely fun and surprisingly deep party game that I still play off and to to this day. No kidding.

Pokecapn's let's play of that really put me off Sonic Shuffle. I'm sure that certain elements they were frustrated at could be amended if you knew more of what you were doing, but some moments were so blatantly unfair.

I think the level design in Shadow the hedgehog is pretty good. It's just hiding under all the glitches, horrible physics and other crap, making it hard to notice.

I mean there are levels like Sky Troops and Cosmic Fall which are just fun stages to run through and have gimmicks which allow for some pretty neat platforming. Then there are levels like Lost Impact (the stage where you help Maria) and Mad Matrix which are really expansive and allow for great amounts of exploration. I especially like the latter ones since exploration is something the series has been missing since Sonic Adventure. It's also the reason why I don't exactly like the Unleashed-type gameplay. Colours was fine, but that's mainly because of the Wisps. They made each playthrough feel fresh since you weren't constantly running through the same corridors or drilling through the same bits of ground. Each playthrough of a stage felt always at least a bit different than the previous one.

Don't get me wrong though. Shadow the hedgehog is in no way a good game. The pointless use of guns and horrible physics and glitches made the experience unpleasant to say the least. If the game wasn't a mess of weird glitches and awkward controls, it could be one of my favourite Sonic games... if they fixed the story and removed the guns as well that is.

• Thumbs Up 2

I really liked the Special Stages from Sonic Advance 3. That's all I liked about that game, though. Actually I liked most things about it at first but man I got tired of that game fast.

I suppose I could also mention that Adventure 2's story is terrible in just about every way, from concept to execution to the world concepts it introduced. Not one important plot point is clear and it's all told by some of the worst cut scenes I've ever seen.

Oh, here's one:

The werehog was an okay idea.

I'm not going to go so far as to say it was a good one. The heavy emphasis on combat and the very un-Sonic platforming prevent it. But from a story perspective, having Sonic turn into a werewolf? Not bad. And the gameplay could've worked if it were designed like a Sonic game rather than Hog of War. Roll around, swing from stuff, smash some obstacles/enemies, I could totally see something very fun and very Sonicy coming from it.

Also: Werehog>Generations Classic. No contest. A mediocre beat-'em-up/platformer vs gameplay that doesn't even work properly. As much as the werehog gameplay doesn't belong, it's actually fun and reasonably well designed, whereas Generations Classic basically has no redeeming values besides not being '06-bad.

Maybe it has something to do with how I played it or something, but I found the Werehog levels to be just plain unpleasant whereas I could just mash spindash and win in the Generations act 1 levels. Guess I got tired of playing through sections again after having fallen to my death again because something or other didn't function in the exact way I expected it to. Chun Nan and Empire City were particularly bad and then I spent like an hour tiptoeing around on pipes in Eggmanland.

I 100% remember this.

It was not pleasant.

Hilariously, that may have been the point where SSMB started becoming more tightly knit as opposed to the throat-stabbing during 2005.

Knuckles is the best fucking character and the Master Emerald shouldn't be used as an excuse to have him be continuously shafted and reduced to a spin-off only character.

Little bit late for that, don't 'cha think?

I got what I wanted since Shadow got shafted. tongue.png

While I'm at it:

-Human characters are awesome. Only exception is Elise, but aside from that Prof. Pickle? Awesome. Gun Commander? Awesome. GUN military? Awesome (I like their mechs). Unleashed NPCs? So much character that I really find them great too!

-With all he's done (good and bad) Shadow deserves a spot as a main character. Like Tails, Amy, and Knuckles before him, he's earned it.

-ShTH honestly had no business existing the way it did, and I'm completely up for scrapping it and replacing it with a better plot.

-Sonic Chronicles had one awesome thing: Imperator Ix...well two if you wanna count Shade, but while I like her, her character was nothing more than Ms. Exposition.

-Sonic 06 sucks, but their robots were AWESOME. We need some of them back.

-Shadow's still cool, but they FUCKED his whole background. Definitely not the best character in the cast, but not the worst either.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic
  • Thumbs Up 2

Oh boy.

-Sonic Colors is still a great and immensely fun game, now before you tell me that this isn't a unpopular opinion I have to say, Colors has fallen out of love with a lot of people with a lot of talking about how it's a bland, boring game with a kiddy script, which I don't believe at all, I still replay it consistently to this day, and I still find the script incredibly fun and charming.

-Sonic Heroes is a decent game with a decently executed gimmick, many fans, I know this game is the bile with many fans, but again like Colors, I an still have great fun with it. It still has plenty of problems, but I still enjoy it more than, say, Adventure 2.....speaking of which..

-Sonic Adventure 2 is not a very good game, this game is very mediocre, it's basically decent Sonic gameplay tacked on with several pounds of terrible gameplay that doesn't belong, which is 70% of the game, fuck that. seriously.

-The Archie Comics are pretty good and not some festering pit of furry drama, Ian has done a great job trying to bring both ideals of Satam and the game into one big melting plot, the stories are interesting and fun, and a good number of the characters here fare much better than they currently do in the games.

-Sonic Advance, kinda underrated. not muh to say here, it has a lot of charm.

Sonic 2 is the best game in the classic series. Other than Sonic CD, this seems to be the most consistently hated classic games, but I fucking love it. It has this unqiue and wonderful style and atmosphere in its level tropes and music.

Sonic 4 Episode II is also a decent game. It's practically the new whipping boy of the fan base, which is saddening, because it really does seem like a reasonably fun game.

Ill probably think of more later.

Edited by The Groosenator
  • Thumbs Up 6

- The games shouldn't take on any of SatAM's aspects. The games as they are today are not conciliable with the aspects of SatAM that made it endearing and interesting in it's own unique and extremely distinctive way like Mobius, Robotisization of sapient anthropes and the entire concept of the Freedom Fighters and their tactics.

- Bioware were not in any way, shape or form competent when it came to Sonic Chronicles. They had a throroughly underwhelming knowledgebase to facilitate the ambitious plot, they simply had no grasp of Sonic's character at all, they clearly didn't care about presentation if the music and visuals (Including dither on item graphics and a lack of anti-aliasing on character portraits) are anything to go by and the game reeked of laziness and poor design not to mention a total lack of balance. Bioware expressed their love of the Sonic series in Chronicles? laugh.png I find that extremely difficult to believe.

- The Storybook games were tightly and cleverly programmed when it came to their skill systems and mission requirements. They're fair, they just require finely honed skill and knowledge of the missions and how to apply skills to said missions. SatSR had serious conceptual problems with the controls, resulting in a lack of true control and unnecersary finickyness especially early-on. Having to play for decent controls is not good game design. Both games were teeming with imagination and intrigue. They also contain the platinum standard of Sonic characterization, Black Knight in particular.

- Sonic Generations is gorgeous-looking visuals-wise. But it certain as hell isn't as luscious as Unleashed and it's lighting is lacking compared to Unleashed.

- The Archie Sonic series writing as it is today is an improvement from the Bollers and Penders days. But it's nowhere near as good as we're led to believe it is.

- Shahra and Merlina are deeply interesting characters with very intriguing motivations.

Edited by Verte
  • Thumbs Up 6

The Babylon Rogues are an interesting trio in their own right, and the oft-toted notion that they're perfectly equatable with Sonic and co. simply because they were shoehorned into generic classes speaks volumes about how little people understand much less give credibility to their personalities and group dynamics. Jet is much more blatantly fallible and morally-depraved than Sonic is alone, and in turn Wave is often a voice of ethics and reason whereas such a role is largely unnecessary for Tails. Storm is significantly dumber than most anyone in the series and completely loyal to Jet, much more than Knuckles is to Sonic, which in turn leads to sibling-esque arguments with Wave, especially since she can be bitchy about Storm's mediocrity as a rider. I tend to compare them to the Eds more than anything- The Napoleonic, greedy leader looking for validation in his talents, the taller, smarter, and more reasonable second-hand character who keeps the leader in check, and the dumb-as-rocks but incredibly-strong big guy who is bound to the leader due to their own stupidity. Because of that, I attribute to them a ton of potential for comedy above the other trios in the series, even the Chaotix.

• Thumbs Up 7

Ah, speaking of Princess Elise...

I actually like Sonic x Elise... but not as a romantic relationship, however! Being just a one-sided deal on the part of Elise is good enough for me.

I RESPECT Sonic 06, it had a point and I found little wrong with it, to me its the second worst of the main console games with a score of 85/100.

Apart from the QTEs, I feel Eggmanland was the best level in Unleashed. It had the best platforming for both Sonic and the Werehog (even though the pipe sections lean towards the "fucking cheap as all shit" side of the scale) and a nice variety of level gimmicks for both hog types too (thereby not falling into the same trend as most of the other levels which lacked level specific gimmicks aside from a few instances).

Speaking of Unleashed, I don't like Adabat Day. The framerate is horrendous to the point that the parts that look really good no longer look that good (and the framerate in general is why I say Generations is a better looking game), the music is bland, and it's just bottomless pit central in a really cheap way. At least Eggmanland has the final level excuse for being dickery (and it's kind of amusing as well because it's so OMGWTFBBQ), but Adabat Day just has really annoying parts with the water running and whatnot with none of the epic. Compared to later levels designed around bottomless pits, it's far too cheap. I think I prefer the Night stage over it because at least it's fair and the music is fantastic.

Edited by Semi-colon e
  • Thumbs Up 1

Let's see here...

- I would prefer 06 to Secret Rings. Now, while I think SatSR has an okay story compared to 06s and I like the music in SatSR (WHO'S GUNNA ROCK THE PLACE!), it's the gameplay that ultimately drags SatSR down. The whole motion control thing is too finicky for me, the automation is really terrible, the breaking just plain SUCKS, and even when I have all the right upgrades, it still doesn't control right. It's like I'm fighting the game for control over Sonic. In 06 however, I have crappy control over Sonic, but still, I have some control. Both game still suck though, I just think 06 isn't as bad as SatSR.

- I think the hype is what put 06 below SatSR in most peoples minds. SEGA was marketing 06 as the "next generation of Sonic", while Secret Rings was just some little side project. When 06 finally came out, I think (I wasn't really into the franchise when this fallout happened) everyone was MASSIVLY disapointed that 06 wasn't this great and epic game. The story sucked, controls sucked, and the music, while pretty good in my opinion, wasn't the usual Sonic fare. Thus, when SatSR came out, it was a breath of fresh air for the fans.

- I play Generations C. Sonic with the Homing Attack skill. come at me, bro.

You hate Special Stages but you got all the Chaos Emeralds in Heroes of all things? I genuinely don't understand that at all.

I seem to remember having a considerably easier time collecting the Emeralds in Heroes compared to most of the other games that required you to get the Emeralds to finish the game.

I haven't touched Heroes in like, six years, so my memory of the Special Stages is kinda foggy.

I like Sonic Robo Blast 2 a good deal more than any official Sonic game.

*runs away*

Speaking of which, I hated SRB 2 even more than 06.

*stands and waits for impending doom*

W-wait, how can two completely contrasting opinions both be unpopular?!

• Thumbs Up 2

I find SA2 to be pretty overrated, IMO it does the same thing Unleashed did by forcing you to play as a different character(s) so why does this game get a pass but Unleashed doesnt?? I also find the Werehog stages to be a lot more fun than treasure hunting and the Mech stages. SA2 is still a good game but i actually find Unleashed, Colors and especially Generations to be more fun.

P.S Unleashed is my fav Sonic game next to S3&K, CD, Generations, Adventure 1

• Thumbs Up 1

When the rest of the community at large takes the third option: "I've personally never played SRB2 so I don't care too much."

I like Sonic Robo Blast 2 a good deal more than any official Sonic game.

*runs away*

Ah, speaking of Sonic Robo Blast 2, I'd rather listen to each and every... "music" track from Sonic Chronicles for a week straight nonstop than to play that game again.

Edited by Komodin

I actually find the 3ds version of generations to be more diverse in terms of stages compared to the console version. It actually feels like it's covered more ground in terms of representing Sonic's history.(Although the game still sucks.)

I dunno, but as for me, I was always under the impression that everyone loved SRB2 and that game is "how Sonic Team should make a Sonic game" if some forums posts from different places were any indication...

I dunno, but as for me, I was always under the impression that everyone loved SRB2 and that game is "how Sonic Team should make a Sonic game" if some forums posts from different places were any indication...

I actually have played it, and it was just..."meh". It was good for modding ease if you really wanted the thrill of playing as certain characters, but it was buggy and floaty and the levels were generally boring unless you downloaded some really good maps.

Speaking of which, I hated SRB 2 even more than 06.

SRB2 is a really easy game to dislike, and I don't blame anyone at all for hating it.

(On the other hand, every single day in the past ten years you can find people playing online, so that says something at least.)

The problem you have with it are the controls/camera, right? Well, as bad as they first seem, when you get used to them (which admittedly takes a long time) they actually work really really well. I know speed run videos are bad proof, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkQCCmgr1GE.