Awoo.

How can Sonic sell better?

Chaos Warp

Advertising is one of the big reasons the Dreamcast eventually flopped. Sega really needs to reform the way they attract gamers.

I haven't seen a Sonic commercial on television since the Shadow the Hedgehog commecrials on G4. I hear that they advertise on kids stations. But that, in my opinion, is a terrible marketing strategy. Sega needs to advertise on other television stations, too.

To Sega's credit, I saw a Sonic 4: Episode 2 ad on both Xbox Live and Playstation network recently. Getting that NASCAR racer and designing an actual racecar for the racer to use in NASCAR races was a good move as well. These things are signs of improvement in Sega's marketing strategy.

Sega may be learning from past mistakes. I certainly hope so.

• Thumbs Up 1

One of the main things that keeps a franchise going is a universe to talk about and dicuss.

Halo is as popular as it it not just because of it multiplier...it has a great... arguably amazing story and Universe that gives fans plenty of stuff to talk about. Halo even has books...which I believe sold well as well.

Back then when the Sonic Adventure's were out...Sonic had a Universe. It may not be...exactly the best stories ever told...but we had plenty to talk about and dig are mind through. I had a lot of fun in those days speculating about shadow and Sonic being brothers like the idiot I was...and talking about Chaos Control and all that stupid shit. Even Mario.... despite the fact that his main series of game lack the story telling of the thousand year door...still tell a story.

Nowadays we live in a world where games tell just as great as a story as a a blockbuster movie...A lot of people sit here and say that narration is not important in a game...and its a big fat lie. Even COD has SOMETHING of a story to tell that surprisingly a lot of people follow and like.

Sonic needs to be more than what it is now...or people are going to do worse than hate on him. We all will just forget.

Edited by Voyant
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 9 months later...

Bump.

Instead of an April-May announcement like usual, how do you think an E3 announcement, then a more constant stream of news (to make up for the less time) would work for the next Sonic Game? Could keep more people interested for longer because of the more constant stream, thus more sales, instead of the more staggered trailers we're used to. 

It reminds me a bit of that episode of ReBoot where the character was in a water balloon filling contest with an enemy. The enemy was winning by shooting a steady stream of water; the character won by building up pressure in her gun until when she let it all go loose it rapidly filled up the meter.

I assume the effect will be the same here: since we've been deprived of something new for so long, with so few crumbs dropped, the excitement is sure to be massive. Sega can't sell on nostalgia anymore, so I think pretty much everyone's eager to see what new direction Iizuka promised.

So this might have a positive effect indeed.

I'll just throw in something I don't think is touched upon enough: the fanbase needs to put some work in as well. While Sega definitely needs to start putting its games in ads during Saturday morning cartoons, the fans also need to try and convince their friends to buy the titles. Imagine if every single fan got one friend to try and buy it... that's doubling the profit margins there. It's a grassroots approach that would pay massive dividends. And all that extra money would ultimately let Sega develop more or higher quality games.

For example, as soon as the next Sonic game comes out I'm going to share it with all several hundred of my watchers and all several dozen of my family members. I'm going to share the Sonic Boom ticket sale with all those I know as soon as I got mine. I'm going to do my part to take advantage of an ever-connected world to help market the game for Sega at zero cost to them.

I'll just throw in something I don't think is touched upon enough: the fanbase needs to put some work in as well. While Sega definitely needs to start putting its games in ads during Saturday morning cartoons, the fans also need to try and convince their friends to buy the titles. Imagine if every single fan got one friend to try and buy it... that's doubling the profit margins there. It's a grassroots approach that would pay massive dividends. And all that extra money would ultimately let Sega develop more or higher quality games.

No.

If SEGA can't learn to market their products I'm not going to do it for them.

• Thumbs Up 2

How hard is it to give a quick review on a game when someone asks for your opinion? How hard is it to invite a friend over so they can play it with you? When a friend has some money to burn and asks you for ideas of what to buy, how hard is it to suggest the newest Sonic title?

I'm not talking a political campaign here. I'm talking simply mentioning it more in casual discourse. It isn't that hard.

A lot of people are convinced Sonic is done for and will not listen to otherwise. They must be SHOWN that they are wrong.

Edited by Ogilvie Maurice
  • Thumbs Up 1

You know reading the first couple of pages, what makes people think this has to do with the quality of the games?

Sonic is still the best selling plattformer of a 3rd party company, and sells better than for example Rayman Origins (which is what most think a higher quality game...). The plattformer is a dying genre, this only makes sense.

SEGA had done an excellent job at promoting Sonic in all kinds of media, in Movies, with Mario, progressive commercials, Danica Pattrick tie-in...

I don't how Sega could do better.

SEGA had done an excellent job at promoting Sonic in all kinds of media, in Movies, with Mario, progressive commercials, Danica Pattrick tie-in...

I don't how Sega could do better.

The movies and commercials only really promote the brand as a whole rather than any title. It's more a "Oh cool, Sonic!" moment than a "I should go get the new game" moment. People need something more concrete usually, such as trailers showing off gameplay that will show them it's worth their time.

The Mario crossover was a genius idea for sales, as was the Danica Patrick thing. Now those promoted specific sales.

Sega needs to do the same with a newer title; they need to buy more TV slots, plaster the name of the newest game on food or drink, etc. Most of all they should consider the subtle promotion power of merchandise... if they put Sonic on mac n cheese, the kid who's eating it might show the slightest it of curiosity as to who he is.

I hope that someday Sonic wins Plattformer of the Year.

2008 could have been possible, if it weren't for the Werehog.

2010, 2011 had too much Nintendo competetion, and Rayman made a high quality comeback.

This year could have potential, if Nintendo doesn't release a major plattformer, but I think most people will end up thinking that Rayman Legends is a better game.

Edited by ChikaBoing

I hope that someday Sonic wins Plattformer of the Year.

2008 could have been possible, if it weren't for the Werehog.

2010, 2011 had too much Nintendo competetion, and Rayman made a high quality comeback.

This year could have potential, if Nintendo doesn't release a major plattformer, but I think most people will end up thinking that Rayman Legends is a better game.

Nintendo has been slowly falling from grace as well. It was once a massive company but is increasingly squeezed just as much as Sega was, and as I recall the Wii U's doing horribly. Whereas it used to have the clear brand dominance I think it's more of an even competition now. So who knows, maybe Sonic will have a shot at it.

Though with how biased awards ceremonies can be, I doubt it. Nintendo's had its mascot for nearly thirty years, so it's safe to say platform awards likely have a preference for Mario and co.

Who knows though; presuming no major Nintendo title competes...

==

On marketing in general, I think that's Sega's biggest weakness. Mario came first so he was able to win over more people. People are biased towards what they're used to... and this is a legacy that will last for quite some time. With the right marketing, perhaps Sega could gain a better share of this generation's preference... but only time will tell.

Edited by Ogilvie Maurice

Better advertising, and quite frankly better games. Quality is improving, but there's nothing which really stands out.

Sonic can no longer ride on the "high" that carried over from the 1990's to the 2000's. Sonic generally needs a Rayman Origins/Mario Galaxy type of game. One which stands out from the others, and pushes boundaries.

Sonic can no longer ride on the "high" that carried over from the 1990's to the 2000's. Sonic generally needs a Rayman Origins/Mario Galaxy type of game. One which stands out from the others, and pushes boundaries.

This really is true. When Sonic first came out, he suckerpunched Nintendo in the face. Not only did he sell for cheaper, but he also made clever use of his system's capabilities through curves and a higher quality usage of colors. The first title really gave Nintendo a run for their money.

This is the challenge Sonic's up to today. He has to somehow convince people his title is worth the 50 dollars more than Mario, Zelda or the various FPSes. He has a lot of work ahead of him.

For example, as soon as the next Sonic game comes out I'm going to share it with all several hundred of my watchers and all several dozen of my family members. I'm going to share the Sonic Boom ticket sale with all those I know as soon as I got mine. I'm going to do my part to take advantage of an ever-connected world to help market the game for Sega at zero cost to them.

In my opinion as a fan you can only do so much. I'll elaborate why below.

No.

If SEGA can't learn to market their products I'm not going to do it for them.

This.

One can only mention Sonic so much before the game/franchise becomes redundant. I mean I'll gladly play the games and what not with my friends, but I'm not going to be all like buy this game so SEGA's profit margin improves. That's just completely unrealistic.

And while on the topic of redundancy, SEGA and their ad department need to expand their media on which they advertise. You can't have just one commercial to air on TV. Have two or more. Look to expand to less conventional types of media to advertise video games, like billboards and urban (bus, subway, airport, plaza) ads.

Well, I think Generations did amazing. Certainly one of the best Sonic Games in years.

I know that GameInformer is probably the hardest batch of critics on the internet when it comes to talking about/reviewing Sonic. 

(I'll tell you this, they had a field day with '06 ^^")

But, believe it or not, they actually liked Sonic Gen, which in my view, is really saying something. Personally, I use IGN when looking for honest reviews for games, but I'll look at GI every once in a while to see what they thought of the "new" Sonic. 

The only negative remark I can recall off the top of my head is on the Video Review saying something about "If you've ever wished for 100% more Tails the Fox in a Sonic Game, the Sonic Gen is for you." I actually found that pretty funny, though. I have no problem with Tails.

But to answer your questions, I'd say made a Sonic Adventure 3, people who don't even know about Sonic would know that this game would be a big deal. Have a Midnight release along with it, sure it's no Halo 4 or Skyrim, but hell, it's Sonic Adventure 3.

Also, more merchandise? I read somewhere that SEGA wanted Sonic to eventually be as big as Hello Kitty, and that's going to take an ass load of merchandising. 

Oh, and a Movie. One thing I've seen from many years, is that Movies are something that can set a Character off. Sonic is already well known, so maybe having a Sonic Movie would boost his reputation even more, especially if it was well made.

Like having a bigger part in the sequel to Wreck-It Ralph, isn't that a rumor? Along with having Mario in the Movie. Maybe an epic fight?

Anyways, I think these would be some cool ideas to boost Sonic's sells. Not just gaming, but overall needs. 

Oh, and maybe another system? Come on SEGA.

Edited by OmegaXCL

One can only mention Sonic so much before the game/franchise becomes redundant. I mean I'll gladly play the games and what not with my friends, but I'm not going to be all like buy this game so SEGA's profit margin improves. That's just completely unrealistic.

I'm not advocating nonstop marketing, merely passively suggesting the titles to people who ask for advice and the like. It's a grassroots approach that will go a long way.

And while on the topic of redundancy, SEGA and their ad department need to expand their media on which they advertise. You can't have just one commercial to air on TV. Have two or more. Look to expand to less conventional types of media to advertise video games, like billboards and urban (bus, subway, airport, plaza) ads.

This definitely. If nothing else they need to find some way to infiltrate all the schools and Saturday morning cartoons. Sonic is ultimately a franchise for younger audiences so this is what it must target.

They should really try to partner up with McDonald's again, for instance.

I'm not advocating nonstop marketing, merely passively suggesting the titles to people who ask for advice and the like. It's a grassroots approach that will go a long way.

I assumed most did that already. Maybe some don't out of fear of embarassment, but I couldn't give a fuck. Anything to help out the little blue dude, lol.

This definitely. If nothing else they need to find some way to infiltrate all the schools and Saturday morning cartoons. Sonic is ultimately a franchise for younger audiences so this is what it must target.

They should really try to partner up with McDonald's again, for instance.

I'm sure somehow they could get around the advertising restrictions on school campuses. I remember from my elementary school days there'd be some promotional material for some video games or something similar.

I'm sure somehow they could get around the advertising restrictions on school campuses. I remember from my elementary school days there'd be some promotional material for some video games or something similar.

Ah, there are restrictions on being able to get into the schools? Well that's a shame.

They could always make a new cartoon and possibly bribe the education system to make sure it's played in their schools on the off days... kids love cartoons! And there are days where there's just nothing to do in the primary system. May as well corrupt it for corporate purposes. :P

Getting into the lunch scene might be a good idea; it should be examined what sorts of food kids bring to their school. A lot of them are mass produced stuff, so there'd be some opportunity there.

Though simply targeting Happy Meals and the like as well could help. Kind of ironic that San Francisco banned toys in Happy Meals, actually...

Maybe kind of like...a Educational Sonic Computer game for little kids...maybe?

Maybe kind of like...a Educational Sonic Computer game for little kids...maybe?

We've done this before, but... hey, it could actually work.

We're not expecting incredible quality for games designed to be for kids 6 and under either, so it would be a low budget approach to the issue. The point is that you root Sonic in the minds of the younger audiences so that they'll tug on their parents' shirts and ask for a new Sonic game.

Now, some would say it was selling out, but honestly who cares what the critics think?

I seem to remember that back in 2006 it was being said that the Sonic franchise has sold 44 million units, nowadays according to Wikipedia its around 84/85 million units sold. Now that sounds quite a big bloody jump in just 7 years! Mind you I guess that makes sense if you consider how much interest the Mario name brought to the franchise and the fact that there are so many Sonic games available and on just about every console.

Edited by Madhatter

I seem to remember that back in 2006 it was being said that the Sonic franchise has sold 44 million units, nowadays according to Wikipedia its around 84/85 million units sold. Now that sounds quite a big bloody jump in just 7 years! Mind you I guess that makes sense if you consider how much interest the Mario name brought to the franchise and the fact that there are so many Sonic games available and on just about every console.

Possibly with minor effects from the increased incomes prior to the recession and the simple fact there's more people around to buy such things.

I think between its partnerships with Nintendo and Sonic just steadily regaining his glory, we can explain the near doubling of the total units sold best. Nintendo's also been declining over the last few years, so the competition in platforming probably isn't as strong as it used to be. Though on paper the rivalry's been over, let us be honest: at the end of the day platforming games will compete with eachother for consumers' dollars. Nintendo's declining strength means they can't just steamroll competitors like they used to be able to, so rival platformers will find it easier to turn a profit.

Really it's a combination of factors. What we can really hope for is for the platforming genre to stay strong in the face of FPS pressure, whether it's Sonic or any of the others.

• 1 year later...

Reviving this to re-engage some discussion, whatnot with the Boom's reveal and impeding release/closure of the three-game Nintendo-exclusive partnership reveal in the wake of the underperformance of past Ninty-exclusive titles Lost World and Mario and Sonic '14.

Not releasing console-exclusive Sonic games (or at least not releasing them for struggling platforms) for a while/anytime soon would be a nice start.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well that's easy. A better story,more use of characters,good marketing skills,and something that grabs people's attention. 

Well that's easy. A better story,more use of characters,good marketing skills,and something that grabs people's attention.

That doesn't sound easy at all.
  • Thumbs Up 1

That doesn't sound easy at all.

It actually is pretty easy in theory.

The setbacks? A budget and an incapable or out-of-touch staff in charge of it.