Awoo.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed...!

S0L

What about the iOS versions? Will they soon make the iOS port of the game? If they are it will probably be based off the 3DS version of the game which will be great. ^^

Let's take a guess here.

How many disc locked DLC racers and stages will we see in this game? I'm guessing 4 of each.

Let's take a guess here.

How many disc locked DLC racers and stages will we see in this game? I'm guessing 4 of each.

Probably... none? Not even the original game had disc locked DLC, where'd that come from? Lol.

• Thumbs Up 3

Probably... none? Not even the original game had disc locked DLC, where'd that come from? Lol.

It had Forklift Ryo actually.

And let's not forget the bullshit "Pay 5€ to unlock everything" cheat.

Edited by MarcelloF

This game is being made by Sumo Digital.

Not Capcom.

It's not a dig at Sumo, it's M$ that order DLC, so if they order 4 Disc locked content characters, it's not Sumos decision.

Disc locked content wasn't such a huge thing when the first was released, I'm sure we'll see some.

The fact that the game has 27 characters and 20 stages rings alarm bells for disc locked DLC.

Whats wrong with that? Some people are lazy and/or don't have the time to unlock all the goods in every game. I didn't use the cheat, but I kinda liked the idea of being able to throw a little bit of change at the problem to make it go away.

Nintendo would have made a killing if they included a code like that in Brawl. It took forever to unlock S hog.

• Thumbs Up 2

Whats wrong with that? Some people are lazy and/or don't have the time to unlock all the goods in every game. I didn't use the cheat, but I kinda liked the idea of being able to throw a little bit of change at the problem to make it go away.

Nintendo would have made a killing if they included a code like that in Brawl. It took forever to unlock S hog.

The fact that you had to pay for it. SST had a normal cheat for doing that.

• Thumbs Up 1

The fact that you had to pay for it. SST had a normal cheat for doing that.

If people are willing to pay to not play a game they bought, let SEGA have the money. It's only there because the consumer allows it to exist. So it's stupid, but apparently people are stupid too. It's fair do's really.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 2

It had Forklift Ryo actually.

Forklift Ryo was a pre-order bonus though, that's completely justified.

I'm also okay with the pay-to-unlock-everything cheat in games myself, as long as the product description always make it completely clear that you can unlock everything just by playing the game.

I don't see why they would use on-disc DLC though. It was frowned upon at the start of this generation and it's only become more frowned upon since.

I mean damn, I thought Death Egg and Metal Sonic DLC was overpriced for off-disc DLC. I'm glad I held out and they're putting it in ASR2.

Edited by JezMM

If people are willing to pay to not play a game they bought, let SEGA have the money. It's only there because the consumer allows it to exist. So it's stupid, but apparently people are stupid too. It's fair do's really.

People are stupid to do anything, though. If it didn't exist, people wouldn't be stupid enough to do it. It's just unfair to have to pay for it, even though they could simply add it to the game for free.

So like if someone just buys the game so he can play with friends, but doesn't have the time to unlock everything, he has to pay an extra 5 bucks for that. SEGA/Sumo obviously thought about this scenario and decided to go the asshole way by making you pay for it.

Forklift Ryo was a pre-order bonus though, that's completely justified.

At first, yeah. But he was later normal DLC for like 320 points, I believe.

Edited by MarcelloF

At first, yeah. But he was later normal DLC for like 320 points, I believe.

I know, I'm just saying that's justified on-disc DLC though, since it was an exclusive bonus at launch to begin with.

Though I agree they didn't need to charge for it. Left 4 Dead originally had the baseball bat as an exclusive pre-order weapon but a few years down the line they just updated the game so anyone can find them.

So like if someone just buys the game so he can play with friends, but doesn't have the time to unlock everything, he has to pay an extra 5 bucks for that. SEGA/Sumo obviously thought about this scenario and decided to go the asshole way by making you pay for it.

What?

How is Sega the bad guy in this scenario? How is a company an asshole for not letting people unlock all content in the game for free?

Nobody makes you buy the code. Its just there if you want a shortcut. otherwise, you'll have to unlock things the old fashioned way, like God and the industry intended.

• Thumbs Up 1

Normally I'd say something like "these ARE modern times, I think it's reasonable that players should have all content avaliable to them for a multiplayer-heavy game" but...

There's no real skill barriers in ASR. Every single mode gives you points towards unlocking stuff. You can't not unlock stuff, regardless of what modes or skill level you play as.

So I am with the camp that charging to unlock stuff is perfectly reasonable in this case. If it was something like say, Mario Kart 7, where unlockable characters is something only those who venture into, and succeed at, 100cc and 150cc, may enjoy, then a free unlock everything cheat built into the game might be nice to give them.

Though I do think paid or not, there should be some little icon that appears next to users online that says they used an unlock key/cheat to get their otherwise "final reward unlockable" character or vehicle etc.

Normally I'd say something like "these ARE modern times, I think it's reasonable that players should have all content avaliable to them for a multiplayer-heavy game" but...

There's no real skill barriers in ASR. Every single mode gives you points towards unlocking stuff. You can't not unlock stuff, regardless of what modes or skill level you play as.

So I am with the camp that charging to unlock stuff is perfectly reasonable in this case. If it was something like say, Mario Kart 7, where unlockable characters is something only those who venture into, and succeed at, 100cc and 150cc, may enjoy, then a free unlock everything cheat built into the game might be nice to give them.

Though I do think paid or not, there should be some little icon that appears next to users online that says they used an unlock key/cheat to get their otherwise "final reward unlockable" character or vehicle etc.

like a shit icon, or a Mario hat icon

the only thing about ASR's unlock system is its Very time consuming, given the amount of things to unlock, music, characters, tracks etc. that was the only problem with ASR

Time

it suffered the same thing Split/Second did, hence there being an unlock everything code for that too.

its both justifiable and completely stupid

Code for - Lazy/impatient fucks but they miss out on the achievement/trophies they probably will have gained along with it i.e. buy everything.

people who don't use the code - longer playtime, more skill/ know the tracks better, more experience, achievements/trophies obtained, you'll probably have a GOLD License if not close to one, and a bunch of SEGA miles.

so yeah code is faster and lets you see the goods first hand, but you'll lack the experience and stats from a person who played it from scratch. :P

What?

How is Sega the bad guy in this scenario? How is a company an asshole for not letting people unlock all content in the game for free?

Nobody makes you buy the code. Its just there if you want a shortcut. otherwise, you'll have to unlock things the old fashioned way, like God and the industry intended.

Because this is a thing that should be free- Something that was free in the prequel to ASR. Instead they want you to pay for a cheat code. They give you the possibility to easily unlock everything, but do it in the shittiest way possible. You should never have to pay extra for something like this.

Some people just want to buy the game and be able to use everything with their friends, because they don't have the time to unlock everything. This doesn't apply to me, because I like unlocking things, but there are plenty of people who are.

I'm sorry, but I will always see this as a huge assholish move on SEGA's end.

• Thumbs Up 3

What about the iOS versions? Will they soon make the iOS port of the game? If they are it will probably be based off the 3DS version of the game which will be great. ^^

Steve Lycett said that we should write SEGA some lines about this. That means, if there's any interest, an iOS version should be more than possible.

I think it would be cool. Recently ASR for iOS was updated with two new drivers and a new track. So SEGA cares about iOS. Would love to see Transformed, but I'd prefer a Vita port.smile.png But, to be honest, ASR for iOS didn't play like a port, but more than an adjusted version specially for iOS. I hope it turns out like this with Transformed, too.

The way I see it unlockables should be SECRET, as in, you don't know what you're going to get... it sucks when in a fighting game you know who's in it already and you have to unlock like half the cast just because casual players want "something to do" while playing the game (which is stupid).

Unlockable characters for example should account for less than 1/4 of the entire game's cast, especially if it's pointless to have them unlockable... developers need to use their logic here. For example I already know Knuckles is in the game, he appears all the time in previews, trailers and promotional artwork, why in the unholy red hell do I have to unlock him? If it's painfully obvious that the character is in the game and has actually been used to PROMOTE the game then I shouldn't have to unlock them, it's stupid. Inconveniencing the majority of players just for those special dorks who do a personal media blackout of everything relating to the game out of fear of "spoilers" is dumb. One could argue that kids enjoy it but I don't think they do, it's just another chore preventing them from enjoying the full game right away.

Furthermore the way characters are unlocked in games like these is also stupid. Just keep playing the game to collect enough points to simply buy a character. That's not "earning" a character, which is indeed the whole point of having unlockables to begin with, that's just playing a waiting game. Earning a character would be like unlocking T.T. in Diddy Kong Racing who was the best character in the game. You really had to work HARD to get him. FIRST you had to beat a "qualifying time" on every track in the game and then you were able to race his ghost which had an even more difficult time that you had to beat. Once you beat every single T.T. ghost in the game then you unlock him.

The gist of what I'm saying is that there should be only a FEW unlockable characters (like 6 at most if the game has 27 of them) and unlocking them should be difficult to make you feel like you truly worked hard and earned the right to play as these diamonds in the rough.

Picked up the new issue of Official PlayStation Magazine UK. Here's their preview of Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed:

TvbXn.jpg

If anyone wants to archive the scan, it's Official PlayStation Magazine UK Issue 071 June 2012.

• Thumbs Up 6

Man, this game is gonna be frickin' AWESOME! I've heard only good things about this game so far.

Oh, and thanks for sharing :)

Edited by KrazyBean14
  • Thumbs Up 1

Oh my god I must have this game right now. I must know more.

I'm in agony every day there's no news on it. D:

The fact that the game has 27 characters and 20 stages rings alarm bells for disc locked DLC.

So, have they already metioned what characters will be playable in the game?

And by characters, I mean Sonic characters. I don't care about any of the other SEGA characters.

Edited by Wolfy13