Awoo.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed...!

S0L

advert would have been decent if they had more in-game footage! tongue.png

Never mind the game footage, that advert would have been decent if it wasn't do blatantly tacky.

It feels like an advert that you might have expected in the early 90's. It's a racing game, exciting, so where's the excitement? Nothing from that advert makes me want to buy this game.

Edited by Silent Nightwing
  • Thumbs Up 1

SEGA of America's biggest mistake has been making Danica Patrick the only thing they advertise ever. I totally get that they'd want to include her in the commercials, since they did make the retarded decision of including her in the game, but an uninformed viewer could be forgiven for thinking that the game is about her if this is all they see.

Maybe this is what they want. Maybe they seriously think they can reach her fans and don't actually have to advertise the game to children or people who enjoyed SEGA games, because SURELY they'll buy it anyway. I know Danica's really mysteriously popular, but SEGA's overestimating the number of her/NASCAR fans that would even take interest in this, and it's probably hurting them. This is the kind of commercial that an outsider is going to look at, maybe get a laugh out of, and completely forget. 

I remember when I was a kid, late in the Dreamcast's lifespan, and I was talking to my dad about all the games and systems we had. He told me that he thought SEGA made some cool stuff, but they were horrible at advertising and promoting it- and being a child, I didn't really understand what he meant. But I think I do, today. I know this is hardly news, but SoA needs some kind of reality check. 

You would think Ralph would be a bigger appeal due to the incredibly popular movie. I'm sure kids would flock to the stores with their mothers to get the game.

Also, I think SEGA should have partnered with Nintendo for some sort of Sonic Racing bundle. Sonic sells on Nintendo platforms and it could have been beneficial for both companies due to the launch of Wii U taking place.

• Thumbs Up 1

As Captain Pickard says 'Data, Report.'

DanA-Vert is the original advert to feature Danica. 50's government is the new advert released today.

Some stats.

DanA-vert length: 33 Seconds.

50's Government: 1:26

Game play footage shown In DanA-vert: Less than 5 seconds.

50's Government: Barely 7 seconds.

Number of characters shown in DanA-vert: 3 (4 if you include AiAi's costume).

50's Government: 2 (3 if you include AiAi's costume.)

Number of Tracks shown in DanA-Vert: 2.

50's Government: 1

Most number of players shown on screen at once in DanA-Vert: 2

Most number of players shown on screen at once in 50's Government: 2.

So despite being longer than the original advert by 53 seconds. This advert shows less characters, less tracks and less gameplay footage... but wait you cry, it showed 7 seconds over 5...

Thats right... however...

5 seconds out of 33 is 15.1%

7 Seconds out of 86 is 8.1%

So in terms of content over time. The original advert has nearly double the gameplay content.

Sega... just have serious words with whoever is handling promotions on this game already.

• Thumbs Up 2

It is pretty funny too because all the game teasers were pretty epic. Just look at this.

Dubstep

Sonic + tons of other characters

Tons of gameplay footage

Good video editing

Varied Tracks

Gameplay Gimmicks Shown

Thrilling Sense of Speed

Edited by Autosaver
  • Thumbs Up 1

We should have an advert making contest, outdo SEGA!

Either that or a "who can make the most in-your-face Danica Patrick advert?" contest... beat SEGA at their own game! :P

• Thumbs Up 1

They really should be using Wreck-it-Ralph to advertise the game; it's hugely popular with kids. I don't know what the hell they think they're achieving by making cheesy commercials that tell us nothing about the game. I'd never even heard of Danica Patrick before ASRT, but I had heard of Wreck-it-Ralph. Anecdotal evidence, I know; but I wouldn't be surprised if this was true of many others.

EDIT: Also the teaser trailers for the game were great. I watched them multiple times because I liked them a lot. Why couldn't they use those or something like them?

Edited by Frogging101
  • Thumbs Up 2

I think you may be in luck there, since you're in Europe. Generations and ASR got both retail and digital releases here, and only digital elsewhere.

Really? I may be able to buy a game in a DVD box? If that is true, it'll be awesome! Day one purchase (the day I see it in stores, I mean)

I wonder if the Steam version is going to say I'm located in Europe, like every other SEGA game on steam seems to. :V

They're too busy cramming it full of exclusives.

I don't know what your beef is with the PC getting a few exclusive characters. It didn't take any development time out of your version of the game (Ours is getting released later, see?). I'm surprised that they're even bothering to do anything special for the PC version (usually with the types of games, the PC either gets a quick port or nothing at all). So stop being bitter about it.

The PC version of the first game was more than a bit crap, so I don't see why it's so bad that they're going the extra mile this time.

• Thumbs Up 2

It's merely annoying that one version is going to have a bunch of extra SEGA characters. It's short-handing some fans where it's really not necessary. 

• Thumbs Up 2

It's merely annoying that one version is going to have a bunch of extra SEGA characters. It's short-handing some fans where it's really not necessary. 
yeah but I don't even really think most people know about *spoilers

Football manager, TF2, and whoever else it was.

Here's how I'd make a trailer for the game:

Kick off with some fanfare, with text upping SEGA's racing history. Show clips of Daytona USA, Outrun Online Arcade, etc. Then, showing what appears to be a clip of Outrun Online Arcade, all of a sudden a slew of All-Stars Racing characters zip past the camera!

Text appears proclaiming "Now SEGA Racing Has TRANSFORMED!"

From here, highlight the many characters showing them racing in a variety of tracks, and on-screen bring up little stat screens like "Ulala, Space Channel 5 reporter" etc. 

Right there they've shown SEGA has a racing past, killing the Mario Kart comparisons. Viewers would see a variety of characters AND tracks AND modes (flight, racing, boat).

Then they could mention "Featuring Special Guests: SEGA Sponsored Nascar Champ Danica Patrick & Video Game Villain Wreck-It Ralph!" 

End it with: "And featuring a few new surprises!" super quick clips of Alex Kidd and the Hornet (toss in a "Doot doo doo doot doo dooo doooooo!") then show the platforms and release dates. 

• Thumbs Up 5

I did five Grand Prix, and five mirrored Grand Prix.  My license says I've done 10/12.  Searching this board and the internet hasn't turned up anything other than the ones I've done.  So, where are the other two?

The advertising for this game is really poor.  Even with movies they're doing ads aimed at multiple target groups nowadays.  I agree there should be more Ralph, especially since the sort of people that would be more interested in Danica may not necessarily be interested in cartoony-type racing games. Ralph would grab kids and folks who don't care about realistic racers, even if they're not SEGA fans to pounce on Sonic et al.  Besides, Ralph seems to be the best racer, in my game at least.  He beats me all the time, while I can usually beat Danica.

All I know that all this focus on DANICA PATRICK and WRECK IT RALPH has made it very hard for me to convey how great this game is to friends that haven't come over to try the game for themselves. One said I gotta be embarrassed. Yeah, kinda am. We've got a fantastic racing game here and marketing is just focusing on all the wrong things. If I were a curious consumer who knew nothing about this game and didn't want to watch people just straight-up recording gameplay footage to spoil myself, well...I don't really have much solid to go on. 

I like Barry's idea. 

Edited by Mykonos
  • Thumbs Up 1

Wreck it Ralph barely gets any focus. Alot of it's advertising is on Danica Patrick. From what I've heard from other people whenever she gets media attention or being interviewed about this game they only show gameplay footage of her character and nobody else.

Edited by sonfan1984

I wonder if the reason why Ralph hasn't been advertised is because Disney won't let them?

We know what Disney is like when it comes to other companies using their characters, and Ralph's movie isn't out here in Europe yet so they've still got their own marketing campaign to think of.

So far other than the Sonic Boom announcement. Ralph has only had one trailer dedicated to him and that came just after the movie didn't it?

But yeah, the focus on Danica has to be one of Sega's worst ideas in years. It's just doing nothing for this game.

• Thumbs Up 3

I did five Grand Prix, and five mirrored Grand Prix.  My license says I've done 10/12.  Searching this board and the internet hasn't turned up anything other than the ones I've done.  So, where are the other two?

I think you have to finish 1st on all of them.

We know what Disney is like when it comes to other companies using their characters, and Ralph's movie isn't out here in Europe yet so they've still got their own marketing campaign to think of.

Well that's not totally true, since the movie is here in the theaters.

Even so that's not a good excuse.  

• Thumbs Up 1

I wouldn't really call 2 "a bunch" but okay.

Sorry, that sounded like nitpicking. I definitely get where you're coming from, and I agree that it's an unfortunate situation, but I think it's been getting blown out of proportion. Plus, it's not like it's happening for no reason. The PC version has to have something to its credit if it's coming out so late.

On the subject of Ralph: I don't see why Disney would have anything against promotion for their movie. I mean they let the character be in the game, and SEGA released a trailer for him and everything. If it's a regional thing, they could've at least included him in the stupid U.S Danica commercials.

Edited by Solly

..Why would Disney not let SEGA use Ralph? Especially when they partnered together and it would be beneficial for both parties. Hell, SONIC was advertised on the movie poster for WiR.

In order to win all crono challenges... What characters is the most appropriate?

Thank you very much and best regards.

Un saludo

BY DERHYUS.cool.png

I wouldn't really call 2 "a bunch" but okay.

Sorry, that sounded like nitpicking. I definitely get where you're coming from, and I agree that it's an unfortunate situation, but I think it's been getting blown out of proportion. Plus, it's not like it's happening for no reason. The PC version has to have something to its credit if it's coming out so late.

That is totally nitpicking.

It's not happening to justify the later PC release, it's happening to promote PC sales where SEGA can sell more and make more money. I was fine with the TF2 characters, but the other two on top of that means that the other versions are down extra characters that are still SEGA-owned. It's utterly lame. Not a deal breaker in the slightest and only a small handful of people are blowing it out of proportion, but that's not the point.