Awoo.

Possibly throwing a party with underage drinking, any tips/advice?

Solid SOAP

It's annoying when people who don't drink or smoke always use the, "cause I don't need that stuff to have fun." As if all of us that do do it because we can't have fun without. Most of us have the majority of our fun times without it, but occasionally it's even more fun with it :L

That's because in the case of doing it underage or flat out illegally, there's a great risk to it. I can understand why people use that line, and it's always for a good reason despite how annoying it may be to hear it.

If you are of legal age and drinking, there wouldn't be much of a problem (this coming from someone who drinks underage himself). Weed tho? There's always a problem, and you really don't need the stuff, much less get caught with it.

It's much better to have fun doing stuff legally than to have fun doing illegal stuff.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

As someone who has lost family members because of drunk driving, just please, please, please PLEASE do NOT let ANYONE drink and drive.

Please.

Make sure that anyone who doesn't want to drink can be a designated driver. Save some lives, okay?

Now, onto the party.

DO NOT FUCKING PUT ANYTHING YOU CARE ABOUT IN THE OPEN. If your friends are anything like mine, they will get drunk and break shit. And I mean move things upstairs and lock doors, don't let ANYONE in your parents' rooms, don't let anyone in your or your siblings' rooms. If you have a pool, be prepared to drain and clean it. Keep everyone out of the front yard.

Personal experience.

• Thumbs Up 3

That's not getting at the point he's making.

When somebody says 'I don't need x to have fun', they're not saying it because they're talking about possible repercussions and dangers of x.

What they're trying to say is 'people who do x don't know how to have fun without it', thus implying their superiority over those who do x because clearly they're so much more limited.

Of course this is silly and fallacious. You might as well say 'I don't need videogames to have fun'. Well duh. That doesn't mean you wouldn't enjoy playing games as a source of fun.

• Thumbs Up 3

Yeah, that is rather silly then.

I drink because I want to just like how I game because I want to, and I like the feeling of relaxation drinking alcohol can give me. I occasionally like to get drunk, but that I try to avoid because getting a hangover FUCKING HURTS! But that's basically the fun in drinking alcohol.

Same goes for weed apparently, but you won't catch that in my hands.

Might as well say people don't need to have sex for fun...but good fucking luck with that statement. :lol:

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

When somebody says 'I don't need x to have fun', they're not saying it because they're talking about possible repercussions and dangers of x.

What they're trying to say is 'people who do x don't know how to have fun without it', thus implying their superiority over those who do x because clearly they're so much more limited.

Nobody is intentionally trying to make themselves sound superior, it just comes across as such.

Of course this is silly and fallacious. You might as well say 'I don't need videogames to have fun'. Well duh. That doesn't mean you wouldn't enjoy playing games as a source of fun.

I wouldn't say drinking and smoking is a source of fun in the same way gaming is a source of fun. Frankly, I don't find the act of drinking itself to be fun, the fun comes from the partying, talking and general fun of being with a group of friends. Drinking serves as nothing more than an ice-breaker, if that.

Edited by Scar
  • Thumbs Up 1

Nobody is intentionally trying to make themselves sound superior, it just comes across as such.

I wouldn't say drinking and smoking is a source of fun in the same way gaming is a source of fun. Frankly, I don't find the act of drinking itself to be fun, the fun comes from the partying, talking and general fun of being with a group of friends. Drinking serves as nothing more than an ice-breaker, if that.

I think it's quite naive of you to say that nobody is trying to sound superior when they say this. Honestly, if you actually believe that when someone comes in and rails against drinking/drugs and the people who do it, then proudly proclaims 'well, /I/ don't need drinking to have fun' that they aren't trying to sound superior and condescending.....well honestly I don't have anything to say because I don't see how you wouldn't see that.

Also some people do find the act of drinking/smoking in itself fun, and people do both without the context of partying/socializing. It's still a rather silly thing to say regardless.

• Thumbs Up 3

I am sorry that If I came across as condersending but I do have my reasons why I don't like drinking or drugs, having relatives who have succumbed to addicition, when one of them got sober only to be brutally murdered by drunken yobs, I feel really bitter and ill-eased about the subject.

I don't want to put a gun to ones head and say you can't do this you can do that, because I do know everyone who has had the odd drink or smokes the odd slpiff isn't doomed but I guess what comes down to is responsiblity.smile.png

As for the OP I am going what others have said in saying that less is more even it makes you look like a douche for turning some people away, I recommend seeing if you can handle 15-20 people and go from there.

Even though I usually am joking, I am dead serious about the rape thing. I've been with a few girls who just couldn't trust men because they were raped at parties. Funny enough, 2 incidents happened at parties such as yours. So just keep an eye out for that kind of thing.

• Thumbs Up 4

If you are of legal age and drinking, there wouldn't be much of a problem (this coming from someone who drinks underage himself). Weed tho? There's always a problem, and you really don't need the stuff, much less get caught with it.

It's much better to have fun doing stuff legally than to have fun doing illegal stuff.

I don't need weed. But I enjoy doing it and I've researched it's affects on health and found that it's largely much less harmful than alcohol. I am careful and don't get caught doing it, even though i'm strongly against it being illegal.

Why is there always a problem with bud? In terms of this party, it'd probably be better, people are way easier to control when high, as they are often chilled out.

The Droners however. Haha, well...

Edited by Wordy
  • Thumbs Up 1

I think it's quite naive of you to say that nobody is trying to sound superior when they say this. Honestly, if you actually believe that when someone comes in and rails against drinking/drugs and the people who do it, then proudly proclaims 'well, /I/ don't need drinking to have fun' that they aren't trying to sound superior and condescending.....well honestly I don't have anything to say because I don't see how you wouldn't see that.

OK, you've made your point.

Also some people do find the act of drinking/smoking in itself fun, and people do both without the context of partying/socializing. It's still a rather silly thing to say regardless.

That's fine. I'm not particularly bothered as I drink myself, though never more than a single bottle/pint. I personally think of alcoholic drinks to be slightly more potent soft-drinks. Don't really drink them for any reason other than they taste nice.

I don't need weed. But I enjoy doing it and I've researched it's affects on health and found that it's largely much less harmful than alcohol.

Depends on how much you drink. A glass of red wine a day is actually beneficial to you, where as a joint of weed a day....not so much.

Of course, drinking to the point where you're plastered every week will have lasting effects on your liver, but I'm sure if you smoked weed on a similar scale, I'm pretty sure you'd be no better off.

Hmm, sorta reminds me of a QI fact I heard years ago. Heheh...

Although the above fact is only a part of Britain and it was years ago, I wonder if they fixed that loophole yet?

...I guess I didn't really have anything helpful to add to this topic...I'm not really the partying type, so it would be pointless to give my input. I'm not even sure what I think about it. We all get enjoyment out of different things. Who are we to judge one another?

I don't know if I came off as condescending with my previous post but, I was saying that due to the legal implications. People can do whatever they want, whether it's something I agree with or not but, you should seriously think about the legality of what you're doing. Even if others you know have gotten away it, that doesn't mean you will. It's fun to have a few beers with the bros but, if you're having a huge party with everyone getting drunk off their ass, the possibility of someone doing something stupid or hurting themselves or others goes up exponentially. When that happens, not only would you feel like an ass for that but, the cops could come knocking at your door and throwing on the cuffs, then fining you OR your parents. If you don't care about yourself, care about the implications it could have for your folks.

Speaking of my experience, I myself am not a heavy drinker, nor do I smoke weed, so yeah. I feel like I'm stupid enough without it, which makes me wonder if I'd become stoic if I were ever hammered.

Edited by Crow T. Robot

I did not think of that. o.o When I thought underage, I automatically assumed only 14-17, as legal age for below 20% strength alcohol drinks is 18 in Norway as well. x3

The horrors of different laws throughout the worlds.

Yeah, my mental image for "underage drinking" is 14-17 year olds as well. And drunk 14-17s is a lot different to drunk 18-20s IMO. Stuff like this always weirds me out when I read the actual ages.

note: SSMB does not support breaking the law, obey local drinking laws. drink responsibly.

I'd just like to throw in that the legal drinking age for beer and wine is 16 here in German =P

• 4 weeks later...

541186_10150790579828110_558338109_9689273_737764056_n.jpg

Party was a success. My sister and I all had a bunch of friends over and it was a hella good time. I got to hang out with ex-girlfriend's friends for the first time in a while, which was really nice because I missed them and they happen to not be on good terms with my ex either because she's become kind of a bitch lately. Overall it was a great time, most people (Among 30 or so, not counting my sister's friends which would make it like 40+) left around 1-2, but me and some friends chilled until 5, to which we based out of exhaustion.

Cleaned up all night long and in the morning picked up some extra scraps just to make sure. Every turned out fine and dandy, except for the fact that the screen on my mom's laptop broke because someone sat on it. It sucks and I'd rather not have to deal with paying for it, but it is what it is and I found a screen for around $55 that I have the money to pay for so I'll fix that up real quick.

Overall, very worth it and a lot of fun. Naysayers be damned, I had a great time and reconnected with a few people I haven't really hung out with in a while.

• Thumbs Up 1