Awoo.

The Big Bang Theory (Television)

LunarEdge

The-Big-Bang-Theory-TV-series-image.jpg

A show about 4 super nerds who are friends whom work at the same University, 2 of them which are roommates. Leonard and Sheldon, the two who are roommates, usually kept to themselves until an attractive blonde moved in next door, where a cross-dressing man use to live. Sheldon, a OCD-like physicists wants nothing to do with her but his roommate Leonard finds her highly attractive and ultimately wants to get with her. All of them are socially awkward and mixing in an attractive girl into the mix changes everything up.

I personally find this show hilarious and the nerdy humor, comic/games/anime/sci-fi references, and all around awkwardness of the situations they get into I find hilarious and I hope you guys/gals here feel the same. I'm currently watching the show on television and on a website I found where you can stream it, I would link it, but I suggest supporting the official releases. I just recently got really into it actually. Beforehand, I saw bits and pieces of it here and there but I recently got down and watched full episodes and I'm fairly impressed.

with that said... discuss...

Edited by LunarEdge
  • Thumbs Up 2

It's a great, fun show. Good characters (who actually managed to become more interesting and funny as they became flanderised). There was a kind of dark period where I fell out of the show where they seemed to just be desperate to turn the characters into catchphrase shouting robots ("Bazinga" and "Whack-a-doodle" were never funny)*, and I will admit the audience laughs far more than they should (especially when the guys are doing perfectly normal nerdy things like just chatting about how they need to <game jargon> to beat this level while playing a game).

*It also didn't help that at first Mollfie and I were the only ones aware of the show, and around the time all these lame jokes started popping up our friends all discovered it and suddenly got really into it and started quoting the BAD episodes and so it wasn't our thing anymore and argh).

But, yeah generally it's a nice show. It gets a lot of flak from people who give me the impression that they tried and gave up on it when it started out and was still finding it's feet, but for all it's cheap laughs and trying-too-hard to be funny moments, there's a whole plethora of really clever moments, and rather heartwarming character developments.

They could have easily have kept Penny as a total outsider the entire way through, and kept the nerds as being 100% socially inept the whole way through, but they didn't. They actually have the characters learn from each other and grow a bit if you pay attention. Sheldon and Penny's friendship in particular has far too many adorable moments.

Also the games they play (when mentioned by name) actually make the correct noises instead of just random bleepy bloops, and when it shows the screen they actually have Miis that resemble the actors. Even my favourite comedy, Scrubs, didn't even manage to so much as have a split screen on the TV when there were two people playing a video game - as a central point of the episode's B plot no less.

Edited by JezMM

Yea, I never found "bazinga" funny besides the one ball pit scene where Sheldon swam around the ball pit, popping up numerous times slightly saying "bazinga" and went back in XD.

It's nice seeing the characters become closer as the series goes on. Also, I agree, hearing what games they are playing with actual SFX attached is nice, like when Sheldon was playing SM64 on the stairway in the apartment building. Also, the laugh tracks can be a bit much at times.

• Thumbs Up 4

A lot of my friends kept telling me to watch it as it's apparently "a show made just for me". I checked out a few clips some friends posted on Facebook and didn't even crack a smile. I found the humor to be so... I dunno. Forced, I guess. Judging from what I've seen, I don't think I'd really like it.

For what it's worth, it's one of those shows where the best gags are the ones that are built up to with the story. The gags that work without context are usually the laaaaame ones that the audience laugh far too much at.

• Thumbs Up 3

Sorry sad.png

You will be. >8C

...But no seriously I can actually see why some people would find him annoying lol. He is a pretty weird character, and in some episodes he's just as lame and catchphrasey as the rest. There are moments though where I can't help but sympathise with his rather unbearably logical way of seeing the world, and his heartbreaking confusion when something thwarts that logic.

Edited by JezMM

I actually don't find Sheldon annoying at all.

I watched a TV show during it's entire original run, called Monk. It revolved around an ex-police officer who had OCD. (Obsessive–compulsive disorder) And because of that show, I was quickly able to pick up on Sheldon also being OCD. So I can't fault him on his eccentric ways.

Like him having a fear of germs, (freaking out after learning a chair he was sitting on had been thrown out.) having his routine disturbed, (Penny and his "spot") and having to do something a set number of times. (Knock Knock Knock Penny, Knock Knock Knock Penny, Knock Knock Knock Penny)

While watching an interview with the creator of the TV show, Monk. He was saying how he was noticing slight OCD tendencies in himself, as well as the actors on the show. Then I start to think about myself and the people around me and notice that actually, yeah, so do we. This lead me to believe that maybe everyone has slightly obsessive-compulsive ways, if you look for them. Making it easier for me to relate to Sheldon.

Plus it's also nice to watch a sitcom where there's a character that's not obsessed over copulating. The only other way to get that would be to watch the hour long live action shows, most likely because the characters spend the whole hour trying not to die. lol

So, yeah...Sheldon is my favourite character. tongue.png

• Thumbs Up 1

This show is hilarious, my entire family watches it. Reminds me of That 70s Show in a way.

Edited by Zany Mallet Maniac

I love Sheldon.

Most people consider him to most likely have Asperger's Syndrome but the creators have said that they didn't have any sort of "issue" in mind when coming up with the character or as they write him. He is just Sheldon, at the most he probably does have something wrong with him but it's undiagnosed, therefore they don't want to give him a label. Jim Parson's who plays Sheldon has also said that Sheldon "couldn't display more traits" of Asperger's and "the way [sheldon's] brain works, it's so focused on the intellectual topics at hand that thinking he's autistic is an easy leap for people watching the show to make", so no one confirms or denies it really.

I really like a lot of The Big Bang Theory but I hate the laugh track and the forced jokes.

Edited by Mollfie

It's a great show. I tend to really like this one and How I Met Your Mother, but I really don't like the laugh-tracks. But then again, that's in just about every sitcom ever, so that's almost an illegitimate complaint. =p

Still, being more of an overall nerd in real life (whilst revolving around Sonic and Gorillaz on the internet), this show really hits the spot in a lot of places for me, because me and my friends tend to act very similar to these guys.. if not slightly worse, and without some of the forced jokes.

Edited by Azukara
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sheldon really annoyed me the first few episodes I tried to watch, which were all from the first seaosn. I became a regular watcher in Series 2, when the show seemed more sure of itself. Sheldon became less of a random weirdo and some character development to give him reasons for his unusual ways.

Gotta agree with the forced jokes and horrible laugh track. Nothing makes a bad joke worse than fake laughter. I also think Bernadette's voice has been getting higher and higer that soon only dogs will hear it (I watched her first episode again not long ago...she was so softly spoken it was striking).

My favourite charatcer has to be Raj. He seems to have the most freedom in what he can say - the most open to any situation. Leonard is the straight man, Sheldon the neurotic (or whatever you want to call it) and Howard the empty sex fiend. Raj just makes any scene a winner.

Finally, random thought....for a social outcast nerd, Leonard sure has got lucky with a lot of women in the show's run.

Finally, random thought....for a social outcast nerd, Leonard sure has got lucky with a lot of women in the show's run.

Spoilers just in case people haven't watched newer episodes.

I dunno if I'd say 'lucky' lol seeing as one was a Korean spy, Leslie just needed a fix but she didn't want a relationship, him and Penny are kinda on-again-off-again because of various screw ups so it's far from perfect, Priya is possibly the most stable relationship so far

until she went back to India

and then he didn't do anything with the comicbook girl because he didn't want to cheat on Priya

who had already cheated on him but he didn't know that until afterwards.

I don't think I missed anyone, did I?

I really like that not all of the guys are useless with women and most of them have had a girlfriend or some romantic/sexual encounter at some point in the series. Just because you're a nerd doesn't mean you'll never have a romantic connection with someone else. I also like that they don't just get paired up with fellow scientists/nerds, though I wouldn't be adverse to it either. Bernadette is not a nerd but she and Howard make a good couple. It makes it more realistic to have the guys dating and such. I've known some really nerdy guys who have had no issues with attracting women and vice versa, and I've also known some guys who are hopeless cases, but got it together in the end.

Plus all the guys are pretty cute and decent people...except for maybe Howard. hE still kinda creeps me out sometimes.

I love Raj too. Bernadette is adorable in her small squeakiness, and I really like Amy most of the time but sometimes it's a bit much. Penny is great most of the time but can be a little bit too stupid in not knowing things that I would have though most people with a high-school education would know. But she has improved as the series has gone on. I also love everyone's parents, especially Sheldon's mum.

I don't like laugh tracks very much in general. I'm trying to think of sitcoms without laughter tracks and can only think of Scrubs which leans more of a situation-comedy-drama...anyone?

Edited by Mollfie

You seem to have missed Dr. Stephanie, who he kinda-sorta stole from Howard and was with for a good couple of episodes (can't remember how that one ended actually...), and he had a one-night stand with that one woman who was friends with Sheldon and went to stay with them for a few days (the one who seemed to end up being kinky, wanting to have a foursome with the guys).

Anyway, I quite enjoy the show myself, with Sheldon being my favourite character. It's funny actually though, originally when I first glimpsed the show I wasn't interested because it all seemed like it was over-pretenious and stuff (thinking it was one of those "by X for X deals"...I dunno why), but then I actually saw my brother watching some scenes, and ended up liking it.

Edit: Also the only comedy thing I can think of without a laugh track was the Only Fools and Horses special "To Hull and Back". There'd also be stuff like the Simpsons, South Park, etc, but they don't really apply for that in a sense do they?

Laugh Tracks just seem as if they're a mandatory thing for most live-action comedy shows (probably used under the belief that there being another source of laughter will encourage viewers), even though chances are it'll end up screwing up a more touching moment instead (since it normally gets added to any small "mood lightener" joke in those situations...)

Edited by Kamicciolo

You seem to have missed Dr. Stephanie, who he kinda-sorta stole from Howard and was with for a good couple of episodes (can't remember how that one ended actually...), and he had a one-night stand with that one woman who was friends with Sheldon and went to stay with them for a few days (the one who seemed to end up being kinky, wanting to have a foursome with the guys).

Oh yeah! I knew I was forgetting someone. Dr Stephanie was kinda cool, they never really said why they broke up but she was uncomfortable about Penny and Leonard being so close because they had dated and he had felt that their relationship was moving too fast because she practically moved into his apartment without him realising.

Edited by Mollfie

This is a great topic. Although I have not been reading many topics lately, Dissident is making an example on how a little effort in topic-making goes a long way. Thanks!

I loved this show from the very first episode. Not only did it have a story I found fun and interesting (one of the highly intelligent yet socially awkward liking Penny and wanting to be more than just friends), but the jokes also really appealed to me. On top of everything, there's a character even more socially awkward yet super intelligent, he almost expresses himself like a robot would and while he simply does not care about human contact and society, he finds himself forced to face such aspects through Leonard. The outcomes are hilarious!

I feel the show did a really good job from the first episode, and while I have only seen a few episodes from the other seasons, it seems they are still having a decent story while giving me some great laughter. Whenever I randomly encounter an episode on TV, I sit down and watch it over anything else. The show simply has that little extra for me. Those smart buggers are always up to some experiment thing or activity that for the most part noone else seem interested in ... xD

Sorry sad.png

Aww, that's alright. Try not to post one-worded posts though, one or two sentences are usually the minimum around here. A tip would be to elaborate on what you are about to post. For instance, if you do not like Sheldon and feel his presence ruins the show, try to describe what about him you do not like and why he should not be there. For me, I find Sheldon funny because he always has his own ways of doing things, and he never knows how to function socially, so I always find the outcome hilarious. =)

*Knock* *knock* *knock* *knock* Penny!

*knock* *knock* *knock* *knock* Penny!

*knock* *knock* *knock* *knock* Pe--

What?!

• Thumbs Up 1

I was going to come in here and talk about how the humor in this show feels horribly forced and xD SO RANDOM to me even though people constantly tell me how I'd totally love it but I see Alex beat me to that and then Jez already adressed that apparently the show is terrible without context so there goes that.

I suppose that makes sense and I imagine that if that's the case I'd probably enjoy the more clever jokes, but I really just can't sit through this show because of the laugh track. It's beyond obnoxious and ruins any semblance of humor for me. Oh well.

• Thumbs Up 1

To be safe:

Leonard also had a one-nighter with the university donor, played be Jessica Walter.

• Thumbs Up 1

I just find the show very interesting and funny. It doesn't make me laugh all that much at times but I find it very addicting for some reason. I've been having mini-marathons myself for the past few days, attaching my PC to the television and watching it on my big screen on my down time.

Sheldon, despite what other people say, is one of my favorite characters. He would be one of those friends of mine I want to kill but for some reason I keep him around XD

If it wasnt for Sheldon I might of never got into this show.

I checked it out based on the approval that some people on another forum gave it and thanks to Sheldon I enjoyed it.

You know the sad thing is that as a physics major and huge nerd, it seems like this show was just made for me.

Then I tried to watch it for about 2 seasons....

boy was I wrong D:

Laugh tracks? I always though all traditional sitcoms where filmed in front of a live studio audience. I remember it being mentioned on Cheers and just assumed they all did...

But based on the information I've gathered they imply that The Big Bang Theory is one of those with a live audience, so I can't understand all this talk...I mean, they might have to change something if an actor made a mistake and the joke didn't have the same effect it originally would have. Plus my brother got the DVDs and I've seen the outakes/bloopers that clearly have the audience reacting to the mistakes and the actors interacting with them...

It's not the audience, it's the cast/crew they're interacting with. Hardly any TV shows are filmed in front of live audiences anymore, it's just so much easier to insert a laugh track in.