Awoo.

Xbox 720 / NeXtBox / Durango / Infinity

Red Cap

Internet-connected. The next Xbox must be internet-connected to use. This is source of the “always on”/“always online” rumors and isn’t as Draconian as many seem to believe.

Eh, yes it is Paul. Yes it is. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah, it's doomed

Let's check the most important thing: 

Internet-connected. The next Xbox must be internet-connected to use. This is source of the “always on”/“always online” rumors and isn’t as Draconian as many seem to believe.

Yep, most definitely doomed to suck.

Edited by Generations (Chaos Warp)

The constant internet usage drastically cuts into their market share among budget gamers. Unless you have some pretty high quality internet, they can say goodbye to a lot of purchases. The casual gamer fanbase (who normally don't have that much to spend) are going to be turned off massively by that I think.

The different pricing model is genius as it acknowledges the difficulties of coming up with a lump sum. ...but this still spits in the face of the aforementioned point.

Windows 8? They better have a touchpad of some sort. Because that OS is absolute garbage.

Their choice of a cheaper 360 is probably the best thing I'm seeing so far, since it allows them to still capture market share lost by all the drawbacks of the newer model.

Y'know, I know I like to make hits on Nintendo sometimes, but at least they're not becoming increasingly more ridiculous with all these crazy anti-piracy controls. Stuff like perpetual internet connections or used game blocks are going to ruin the PS4 and 720, I think.

Edited by Ogilvie Maurice
  • Thumbs Up 1

I wonder if the new Xbox is capable of dumping soil for the grave Microsoft are digging themselves...

They shall be buried with fifty pizzas to ferry them into company after-life/buyouts.

I'm still gonna wait to see what happens. i.e. is this source really legit? Why would this guy just tell everyone what the console does if he's working on it and supposed to be keeping it secret? It's bizarre :?

• Thumbs Up 2

And the price point. It's five-hundred and ninety-nine us dollars all over again.

To be fair the "mortgage" style console takes care of this problem.

Doesn't change the fact the required internet part is going to enormously cut into their profits. If I'm playing Sonic why the hell would I need to be online? It's stupid, and punishes those without the money to pay for a good connection.

*reads the newest info*

nwld.gif

Byyyyyeeeee! Yes! Bye bye!

==============

Always Online means... when Microsoft decide to end support for that Xbox... your machines and all your games are useless... and won't that make you happy?

• Thumbs Up 6

To be fair the "mortgage" style console takes care of this problem.

Doesn't change the fact the required internet part is going to enormously cut into their profits. If I'm playing Sonic why the hell would I need to be online? It's stupid, and punishes those without the money to pay for a good connection.

Well, Generations on Steam requires an internet connection but Steam is just a service on a machine that most people always have connected, not a console.

I'm still gonna wait to see what happens. i.e. is this source really legit? Why would this guy just tell everyone what the console does if he's working on it and supposed to be keeping it secret? It's bizarre :?

Well personally I'm going to believe him. Paul has been reviewing beta and final Microsoft products for years. The new Xbox is definitely a Microsoft product. He wouldn't lie to us, would he? 

However I cannot answer on why he is allowed to say this.

Edited by Ming Ming Suzy

What worries me about the May 12th reveal is that the new Xbox will indeed require and always online connection, and Microsoft says NOTHING about it at the official reveal, in light of all the negative feedback surrounding it. It'd be like Sony revealing that the PS3 will require mandatory hard drive installs on some of its games as a feature at its unveiling, which it didn't.

Hmm... At $10 per month, the Xbox Live service would be worth $240 total, which, added on the (essentially) $300 down payment for the system itself, would total the minimum price of $540.

... Suddenly, that price models doesn't look all that attractive...

Because you end up paying $50 more over 2 years? Well better to NOT have the new Xbox for 1 and a half years than spending a small fraction extra of its price, right?

Edited by Yong

Well, Generations on Steam requires an internet connection but Steam is just a service on a machine that most people always have connected, not a console.

Actualy, you can go offline on steam at anytime, so it doesnt require you to always be online, unless of course the game is online multiplayer only

Ugh. While I am usually always online when I use my 360, Wii, ect., this online required nonsense is complete bs. Like Hogfather says, what will happen when 720 online is no longer supported? What if your internet is down for some reason? Xbox Live isn't even free, you will have to pay for everytime you turn on your console. Ugh

Xbox Live isn't even free, you will have to pay for everytime you turn on your console. Ugh

Not really. I assume you don't need Gold to play your games, you just need to be online. That's all. If you want Youtube, multiplayer, party chat and other great bonuses that's when you need Gold.

Windows 8? They better have a touchpad of some sort. Because that OS is absolute garbage.

Ok, I know this thread isn't about windows 8 but I've been using it for several months now, and this OS is not garbage. It works fine, I've had very little trouble navigating it without a touchpad, and the thought that you need it to work with it is completely stupid.

Again always online pops up... this is really happening it seems, dear god...

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't care if its always online or not to be perfectly honest. I just wanna see the console already.

• Thumbs Up 1

I wonder if they have any new IPs planned for this generation. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Not really. I assume you don't need Gold to play your games, you just need to be online. That's all. If you want Youtube, multiplayer, party chat and other great bonuses that's when you need Gold.

things that should be available to everyone at this point. The fact that Microsoft didn't catch on previous generation with this complaint surprises me...it's ridiculous. Edited by Hedgehogs Boost