Awoo.

Xbox 720 / NeXtBox / Durango / Infinity

Red Cap

tumblr_meqmuq4Rzh1rrpsd7.gif

OOPS, I DID IT AGAIN

How the hell is it so easy to get you two confused?! Boggles the mind, man.

But, anyhow, backwards compatibility only through an extension? What the fuq?

Edited by Shirou Emiya

hey look its the 32X 360x attachment..... anybody else drawing some parallels here

So...were basically getting this?

7168_5482_5200_xbox-360-hd-dvd.jpg

I wouldn't mind that TBH. if the console itself absolutely wont support 360 games but an attachment will then I'll get the attachment so long it comes with the console at launch and were not going to get shoddy emulation this time around like we got with the Xbox Classic games.

And will Xbox Classic games be supported with this attachment too? because that would make me pleased as punch if they broght over the shoddy Xbox emulator to the new generation Xbox, Pointless as it may be.

Edited by goku262002
  • Thumbs Up 1

I wouldn't mind that TBH. if the console itself absolutely wont support 360 games but an attachment will then I'll get the attachment so long it comes with the console at launch and were not going to get shoddy emulation this time around like we got with the Xbox Classic games.

Same here. An accessory that allows backwards compatibility would win me over. But if the rumours are true that said accessory is the always-online component, then they've lost me again. Imagine playing Skyrim on your Durango-NextBox combo and then getting booted out of the game every time your internet hiccups.

Which does happen. To me. Me, personally. Because the quality of the broadband connections use old technology that isn't going to be replaced any time soon. And I have no plans of moving out of my nice apartment any time soon. Does that head off all the obvious "I don't see the big deal" comments?

If the new rumor is true, MS can win me over. "Always online" itself is a pretty cool feature, as long as it's not "Online required". Curious to see some new games. They're supposedly working on four new IPs.

• Thumbs Up 3

Why would you get shoddy emulation? It's not emulation, nor is it an attachment. It's another 360 that requires a Durango for optical media.

Might as well get a current 360 / keep your existing one and simply switch channels on the TV. Because that's exactly what this hardware does, lol.

Forza and Ryse to be next Xbox launch titles

Plus, a new zombie game and "strong" third-party support with FPS.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-04-11-forza-and-ryse-to-be-next-xbox-launch-titles

I personally think that they should've made Halo 4 a NextBox launch title...that would make the system sell like hot cakes. Probably.

Edited by KrazyBean

Ubisoft devs confirm next-gen Xbox, Watch Dogs & Assassin's Creed 4 coming to 'X720'
Ubi's top open-world titles heading to next Xbox, employees confirm.
http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/watch_dogs/news/ubisoft_devs_confirm_next-gen_xbox_watch_dogs_and_assassins_creed_4_coming_to_x720.html

Microsoft might have realized the always-on Xbox 720 is more trouble than it’s worth

The backlash around the always-on DRM rumors for the Xbox 720 has snowballed. Adam Orth, now famous for his poor Twitter judgement, is no longer with Microsoft. While this is the consequence of poorly thought-out social media usage, could this be an opportunity for Microsoft to pull the emergency brake on its own poorly thought-out idea?

Game Informer is reporting that Adam Orth has split from Microsoft, and it seems likely that it was a voluntary resignation. Even if it wasn’t his choice, it’s not a direct indictment on any criticism of always-on from Microsoft. An employee made some bad decisions about his use of Twitter, and it ended up being something of a PR nightmare. It makes sense that Microsoft would want to distance itself from a source of drama. That said, this uproar might just have some silver lining.

Deal-With-It.png

In the gaming industry, there has been substantial anti-Microsoft coverage for the past few months — not just recently. It seems Redmond’s business decisions have angered numerous smaller developers, and pushed them into the arms of Sony and Valve. While Xbox 360 was known for having outstanding indie games, developers like Jonathan Blow (Braid, The Witness) and Phil Fish (Fez) have spoken quite publicly about how their relationships with Microsoft have soured. Dissatisfaction has been building to a head, and now Microsoft is having to deal with it.

Right after the Twitter fiasco hit big on Reddit, Microsoft issued an apology. While it side-stepped the core issue of the always-on rumors, it is the first public acknowledgement of the rumors. Now that the Xbox 720 announcement has been pushed back by a month, this might be evidence that Microsoft is realizing that always-on DRM might be more trouble than it’s worth.

Games like Fallout 3 and Mass Effect 3 both received ending-altering DLC after the fan bases voiced how unhappy they were with the original endings. Companies like EA and Ubisoft once had oppressive PC-only DRM that limited the number of game installations, but they backed off after public outrage. Back when Sony unveiled the PS3, it showed an embarrassing boomerang-shaped controller that was dropped soon after for the familiar DualShock design. Companies, especially ones with public shareholders, will capitulate to high levels of pushback. If it’s going to hurt the bottom line, even deeply-rooted company beliefs can change. Microsoft is clearly aware of how unpopular always-on DRM is, and now all we can do is sit back and wait to see if Redmond is willing to bet against the rage of the internet.

Smart move to get rid of the always-online feature.

I actually really like that rumor of an XBOX 360 Mini and an XBOX 720 co-existing. Gives consumers a lot of options, and addresses backwards compatibility for the 720.

That way, people can have the 360 Mini which operates as a Roku box or an Apple TV providing video apps and a huge library of games (something that Apple TV and Roku provide, but they pale in comparison to XBOX when it comes to games).

Or they can pick up an existing 360 for everything the Mini does as well as disc games.

Or they can pick up a 720, and ignore 360 titles.

Or they can pick up a 720 and a Mini, which allows them to play just about everything (assuming the 720 reading 360 discs rumor is true). Only thing in question are original XBOX games, but if the 720 could possibly play all the original XBOX titles the 360 supports, it would be pretty great.

---

I'm still not sold on the 720, but seeing as how I was very much a fan of the original XBOX and chose to go with the 360 this gen, a 720 + Mini would be very tempting for me. Hope the rumor is true! I could see bundles of the two being sold, or stores offering discounts on the Mini if they bought a 720.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wait, do you have to buy this peripheral or does it come free with it.

Ya gotta buy it, it'll probably be like £100.

Well hey, if the XBOX 360 mini is cheap, I'll buy it. Wait, is Sonic 06 and Unleashed on the Marketplace still?

Well hey, if the XBOX 360 mini is cheap, I'll buy it. Wait, is Sonic 06 and Unleashed on the Marketplace still?

Unleashed is. 06 isn't.

Unleashed is. 06 isn't.

well, nevermind then. Wouldn't see the point considering I own 06 on a disc and the 360 Mini only plays digital games.

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-live-status

Right now people can't sign in their profiles. Which means that if you're playing a game that checks with a server before letting you load your game, you can't play that game (See: Damn near every EA game lately).

Doesn't that bode well for an always-online scheme?

• Thumbs Up 7

Was just thinkin about that myself actually. This as well as EA's issues and Sony's hack-gate last year must surely be getting Microsoft to change their minds. The "unhackable" PS3 was hacked and Xbox Live currently goes down semi-regularly, what makes Microsoft think their new system will hold up absolutely?

Was just thinkin about that myself actually. This as well as EA's issues and Sony's hack-gate last year must surely be getting Microsoft to change their minds. The "unhackable" PS3 was hacked and Xbox Live currently goes down semi-regularly, what makes Microsoft think their new system will hold up absolutely?

I dunno about that I have been an xbox live member for like 5 - 6 years and outages have not happened that much to me. In fact hardly at all.

Edited by Urban Flow
  • Thumbs Up 2

I experienced a few when I used it regularly and my friends also tell me it's a kinda regular occurrence, so maybe it's more of a UK thing?

Either way, if the Durango does indeed use an always online system it's going to need to be consistently stable, globally.

(luckily I don't think it's true)

Edited by SuperLink
  • Thumbs Up 2

I experienced a few when I used it regularly and my friends also tell me it's a kinda regular occurrence, so maybe it's more of a UK thing?

Either way, if the Durango does indeed use an always online system it's going to need to be consistently stable, globally.

(luckily I don't think it's true)

Yeah it seems so.

I dunno about that I have been an xbox live member for like 5 - 6 years and outages have not happened that much to me. In fact hardly at all.

It's pretty great living in the US, isn't it?

I'll honestly say that XBox Live usually works fine for me, but I'm afraid I couldn't echo your statement without being a liar whose pants might very well catch fire.

It's pretty great living in the US, isn't it?

I'll honestly say that XBox Live usually works fine for me, but I'm afraid I couldn't echo your statement without being a liar whose pants might very well catch fire.

Fuck yeah dude.

Jokes Aside, I understand what you are saying. I guess it just works out differently out there. I know it must suck =/

Edited by Urban Flow