Awoo.

Xbox 720 / NeXtBox / Durango / Infinity

Red Cap

Microsoft's IllumiRoom could be intergrated into the NextBox

IGN article: http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/04/29/microsofts-illumiroom-to-be-integrated-into-next-xbox?abthid=517ea071731aab3e0100000b

Tech demo of the IllumiRoom:

I think this is a pretty neat concept. FOV is always a problem when it comes to consoles, especially if you play FPS's. I still prefer the Occulus Rift though.

Edited by KrazyBean

While nothing is hackproof, I'm pretty sure Microsoft will always monitor strange activity happening towards their premium servers. After all, why do you guys pay LIVE for?

The servers will go down for at least an hour or so? I'm not implying they will never go down because they will. Maintenance and all that.

Even if it's only an hour, if I buy a console and want to play it every time time I want. If it's a multiplayer game then I wont have a problem but if it's a single player I shouldn't have to wait to play it.  

Piss enough people off with consumer-fucking DRM bullshit, and you just might generate the rage necessary to pool together the hacking might to take down XBLA. 

Many people are pissed off at Facebook too, yet it hasn't been hacked. As long there are teams monitoring bad activity and as long they keep upgrading their servers (that's why there's maintenance from time to time), they won't successfully hack LIVE.

Many people are pissed off at Facebook too, yet it hasn't been hacked.

The two situations are not comparable. Facebook is a FREE social networking service. What they do, is often annoying, but rarely is it so blatantly anti-consumer.

As long there are teams monitoring bad activity and as long they keep upgrading their servers (that's why there's maintenance from time to time), they won't successfully hack LIVE.

You're both underestimating angry nerds and overestimating Microsoft's security. Big firms and even fucking governments have been hacked. It is not impossible. If Microsoft go through with something as blatantly ridiculous as blocking used games, forcing or at the very least facilitating the use of always online DRM to block used games, then if the consumers don't respond by not buying into Microsoft's product, then hackers can get together and do some damage.

Ming, I'm just curious. Are you going to get the NextBox, or are you just defending the system and Microsofts choices? I'm actually curious.

The two situations are not comparable. Facebook is a FREE social networking service. What they do, is often annoying, but rarely is it so blatantly anti-consumer.

You're both underestimating angry nerds and overestimating Microsoft's security. Big firms and even fucking governments have been hacked. It is not impossible. If Microsoft go through with something as blatantly ridiculous as blocking used games, forcing or at the very least facilitating the use of always online DRM to block used games, then if the consumers don't respond by not buying into Microsoft's product, then hackers can get together and do some damage.

Alright, how come EA hasn't been hacked yet? They are small (and worse) compared to Microsoft, yet EA hasn't been hacked. And these guys have been pulling DRM on Origin games including SimCity.

Ming, I'm just curious. Are you going to get the NextBox, or are you just defending the system and Microsofts choices? I'm actually curious.

I'm getting the PS4, duh. I'm not defending Microsoft's decision on always-online (as shown previously), but I'm saying that their LIVE servers are not a simple pushover for hackers. And I do not like hackers anyway, they ruin things.

Edited by Ming Ming Suzy

I'm getting the PS4, duh. I'm not defending Microsoft's decision on always-online (as shown previously), but I'm saying that their LIVE servers are not a simple pushover for hackers. And I do not like hackers anyway, they ruin things.

A lot of them probably wouldn't be hacking if big companies would stop trying to screw them over when they try to do things normally. Granted there are genuinely malicious hackers, but I doubt they're anything more than a minority.

I'm sure the people who bought PSN games that required you to be connected to PSN to play them were thrilled when Sony shut down PSN in 2011 for... what was it? 4 months?

But it's okay, because before it happened Sony thought it would never happen to them.

• Thumbs Up 7

I'm sure the people who bought PSN games that required you to be connected to PSN to play them were thrilled when Sony shut down PSN in 2011 for... what was it? 4 months?

But it's okay, because before it happened Sony thought it would never happen to them.

That was Sony's fault. And as a fangirl of Sony, I have to say they deserve what they got.

There was a time that all PS3s were unhackable. When PSN launched, only the people at Sony and owners of a PS3 can access the PSN. Since PS3 was unhackable, PSN cannot be hacked in anyway unless you physically show your presence at Sony HQ.

Sony thought because PS3s were unhackable, PSN is safe from bad activity and they can save money on upgrading the security measures on the PSN. So you're right, at one time Sony thought it would never happen to them.

Until GeoHot cracked the PS3 wide open, leaving PSN now vulnerable to attacks. What annoyed me is that no one at Sony said, "OMG OMG PS3 IS HACKED! WE NEED TO UPGRADE OUR SERVERS PRONTO!".

What they did instead was waste their time suing GeoHot and put a force firmware upgrade on everyone if you want to connect to PSN again. While the firmware fixed the problems and stopped people from jailbreaking, there will be users who will not upgrade to the latest firmware because they want to keep their jailbreak.

Sony still didn't upgrade their outdated servers. Later a hacker (or was it two?) probably got mad at Sony for trying to sue GeoHot and removing Other OS, got his hands on a jailbroken PS3 and hacked his way through to the vulnerable PSN.

That's what happened. Sony not keeping an eye on their servers and having outdated security protection is what got them in to that mess. I don't think Microsoft would ever let that happen to them.

After all, why do you guys pay LIVE for?

I don't pay LIVE anything because the other two consoles have free internet access. tongue.png

Anywho.

Why should my ability to enjoy games be beholden to a bunch of technicians doing maintenance? If it's a single player game, it's a single player game. Requiring online connections when there is no online play is just stupid, there's no way around that. It's like requiring I go to Baskin Robbins with other people to eat ice cream, rather than being able to enjoy it all alone in the comfort of my home. It's ridiculous, and we should not excuse such behavior no matter how convenient it is for us. Even if it's only a minute of downtime, that doesn't explain the fundamental question: why do I need someone else to play Zelda (I'm arguing against required online play in general, not just Microsoft, so I can use non-Xbox titles), Sonic, or any other single player title?

SimCity 5, in its defense, had a good reason to have internet connections, because the game was built on the idea of a global economy (granted if you remove that aspect there's no reason to require online connectivity). This is a console, however, and there's no reason for it to be required.

Never mind this is a stupid business move. More than a handful of people who weren't sure whether they wanted a 720 or PS4 for their HD needs have said they will gladly go over to Sony if Microsoft implements such a practice. Microsoft has a shovel, and I hope they stop and think before digging their grave.

There is just no excuse for requiring an internet connection unless the activity itself (updates, cloud storage, online play) requires internet access.

Actually that's got me thinking. Has there been any word on if the 720 will have online access be free or not? To me this was always a large edge the other two had over Xbox for me, so I'm curious if they've remedied this handicap.

Edited by Ogilvie Maurice
  • Thumbs Up 1

Respawn's new game is next-gen Xbox-exclusive, claims report
EA strikes exclusivity deal with MS for former Call of Duty makers' debut title, say sources
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/403683/respawns-new-game-is-next-gen-xbox-exclusive-claims-report/

Microsoft 'behind' in next-gen Xbox software development - report
'Sony is in better shape' for next-gen releases, according to sources
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/403694/microsoft-behind-in-next-gen-xbox-software-development-report/

Hope they really aren't behind in software development and can dish out a good launch line up.

You know, my main 'concern' with the 720 so far is whether I'll have to wait for a timed exclusivity to run before I can play a game I like on PS4.

So I'm perfectly okay with Microsoft getting some new western dudebro shooting games while Sony goes for Square, SEGA and other japanese studios. To each audience its own.

Microsoft 'behind' in next-gen Xbox software development - report

The software development part happens every single time with every single system launch. Most recent case? WiiU. Kind of a captain obvious rumor there.

There were rumors floating around that early devkits made it seem the console specs were better than they actually are. That would explain the troubles, but -were that the case- as no before/after footage exists nobody would ever notice in the end.

It's not as worrisome as the pageview-grabbing headlines would make you believe.

• Thumbs Up 4

Yeah...why exactly is this a thing? It's not like PS4 is going to have a huge launch either. This is what happens every time they're transitioning from generation to generation. Do people just forget that it happens? 6 years isn't that long, is it?

• Thumbs Up 2

It's just like how people get mad every time a new game isn't released for their system anymore, but I guess not everyone is used to console transitions because every gen you get dropouts and new gamers and stuff.

There are certainly gonna be people saying "Will I be able to play Halo 5 on my 360? Why not?" It happens with every single Pokémon game ever made.

I honestly can't remember a good console launch.. ever. I also can't remember a console that wasn't pretty brilliant in its own aspects by the end of its life.

if anyone says Virtual Boy I will stuff wet soapy kitchen roll in your ear

Edited by SuperLink
  • Thumbs Up 1

So, if I'm reading this right, the Next Xbox will techinally be able to read the 360 discs, but it just needs the Mini prepertual for it to run the game. I'm fine with this, says it gonna work locally instead of SONY's Onlive cloud gaming gimmic, but how is this gonna work for games that you downloaded off the CD itself?

You see in order to not wear down Halo 4 like how I wore down Reach, I installed it onto the HDD. but if I reinstall Halo 4 onto this thing, where does it go? the Mini prepertual or the Next Xbox's HDD? or can we even install 360 games onto the Next Xbox at all?

Edited by goku262002

Backwards compatibility is a definite plus. Not having all your games invalidated and then being told "lol go buy the re-release!" will definitely be a huge advantage over the PS4. It will if nothing else assist with gamer retention, which is really important to erase the competition's edges.

The software lag is of concern, as I'd really prefer Microsoft never be beaten out completely; if Sony has no competition for the HD market their quality will decline enormously. Fortunately as was mentioned this happens a lot so no need for doom and gloom just yet.

Thus far though it looks like both the HD consoles are going to have a "pick your poison" approach. Hopefully as news comes out the picture will look brighter.

Unless the Mini is really cheap, I wouldn't be happy buying an extra console just for BC. From the sounds of things they want a lot of money as it is :c

• Thumbs Up 2

You might as well keep your 360 if you have to pay an additional $$$ for BW/C.

• Thumbs Up 3

What if you want to move your Profile to the NextBox? ...If you can do that, that is.

Edited by KrazyBean

What if you want to move your Profile to the NextBox? ...If you can do that, that is.

There's no moving involved, your account should work on either system at any given time.

• Thumbs Up 1

Unless the Mini is really cheap, I wouldn't be happy buying an extra console just for BC. From the sounds of things they want a lot of money as it is :c

I'm not referring to buying it solely for the BC however; the BC is merely a plus over the PS4. The PS3's been horrible with BC, but as I recall the 360 had the edge on this field. It's not a deal breaker, but BC is a benefit to have as it makes the transition smoother; a person can sell their old console to pay for the newer one, in addition. Hand-me-downs are a wonderful thing for a reason.

From what we've heard of both there are drawbacks to both consoles, as was the case with the current generation. What will inform the purchasing decision is which one has less drawbacks; having BC when your rival does not helps greatly.

Which leads to great fun if your old console ever happens to malfunction, something the 360 isn't exactly known for avoiding. Building a better console with BC definitely has its upsides. Never mind it lets you sell your old console to help pay for the new one. 

Building a better console with BC definitely has its upsides

Too bad this isn't what they're doing, according to that rumor.

I happily would have bought a Slim PS3 (though not that shitty current one) if Sony made the BC box they patented a few years ago. Seems like a fair compromise to me, so long as they do it right.

There's no moving involved, your account should work on either system at any given time.

I believe you, but have you got an article which says this? I just want to read into more detail about it.