Awoo.

RUMOR: Microsoft's new XBox Console to not play "Used Games" to open venue further for digital distribution.

-Robin-

I still think its bullshit, I only buy games brand new if they are something I am really looking forward too, I can't always afford to buy them new (who can, lets be honest there).

I don't know its still the same as buying a second hand TV, I don't hear samsung and parasonic bitching.

Its this pissing recession thats making them do this. dry.png

Anyway if always bought things new a world would end up like Wall-E.

That's still no justification. And remember, it's not you they're after in this case, they're after the ones who are profiting from this. You're just the unfortunate victim who will be cut off from the goodies, since the ones giving you the goods are technically doing something wrong.

As I said, this method is not the way of doing it since it's DRM, and I can tell you from the times dealing with DRM, it can be absolutely horrible.

That analogy was unexpected to say the least.

I still think its bullshit, I only buy games brand new if they are something I am really looking forward too, I can't always afford to buy them new (who can, lets be honest there).

I only have four games brand new. Three of them are Pokemans, and the fourth is Gran Turismo 5.

So yeah, if they implement this, suffice to say I won't be buying an Xbox anytime soon.

Edited by Axl

If you want my opinion on the matter (doesn't matter if you don't) I'd agree with everyone that MS is going about this the wrong way.

If I was in charge, I'd institute a system where you download the games from your system to memory cards, DRM free. Also, that Microsoft set up it's own online store, just for the sake of purchasing physical copies and having them directly sent to people instead of having to waste money filling up stock. That way, people can have the downloadable title to fill up their time, then they'll get their physical copy in the mail.

BTW everyone who is crying "greed" needs to get their heads out of their bums for a second and think, the game retailers barely spend any money and make a killing profit off this. If anything, they're the greedy ones, and from the prices I've seen in many gamestops, yeah they're the ones ripping you off.

They've been "bitching" about it longer than you think. They've tried multiple times to combat the market and everything pretty much failed for them. Your analogy also is a little flawed. They wouldn't mind if some individual makes money off of one game that they owned. The thing with gamestop and used game retailers is that they continue to make money off intellectual property through used games being sold at a discount price vs. the new games. None of the money goes to the publisher/developer and if there was a new title readily available then that counts as wasted stock.

It's like piracy, only that the game retailers are openly making money off these products when they barely pay a dime to just hold them, the fact that it is legal is all the more frustrating.

By my policy I'd say your tryna troll on me. Im just trying to prove to a point not start a stupid nonsensical argument.

Edited by Hogfather

For christs sake The Greatest Hits need to be released cuz if its popular and at a cheap price more people will buy it and be exposed to it. As for PC games, most peoples PC's suck at running todays games and not to mention that Steam easily distributes the games thy dont have to pay for shipping, physical dics, physical cases. Video games should be 20 to 30 bucks but due to all of those ON TOP of stores trying to make a profit is why there so expensive.

I may be misinformed, but my gf works for a gaming store and from what she told me, games are bought from distributors for about the same price the store sells them for. The profit on games is merely pennies for the stores selling them, they make a majority of their money with other products, such as accessories, used game sales, etc. etc.

So, saying the store is "over-charging" for their new games to make a profit is a bit of an ignorant statement.

Edited by LunarEdge
  • Thumbs Up 4

For christs sake The Greatest Hits need to be released cuz if its popular and at a cheap price more people will buy it and be exposed to it.

So how is that not unfair to the people who paid full price, which your entire argument hinged upon?

You clearly have no idea how distribution works, either.

I may be misinformed, but my gf works for a gaming store and from what she told me, games are bought from distributors for about the same price the store sells them for. The profit on games is merely pennies for the stores selling them, they make a majority of their money with other products, such as accessories, used game sales, etc. etc.

So, saying the store is "over-charging" for their new games to make a profit is a bit of an ignorant statement.

Well idk what store your gf works at but stores not making a profit off of their products seems like a bit of a stupid statement to defend. I mean its not like people buy controllers everyday or wires or anything extra for their system. If stores really sold all there products at the same price they got them there wouldnt be as many chain stores as they are today. I would say that Gamestop would go out of business for selling new games without making a profit but we all know how they get all there money. And @Hogfather, yes I know we all love bargains and we try andf get them but buying a used game is a bargain for us and a nail in the coffin for video game companies. Did you realize how many video game companies went out of business last year? Or many game developers were laid off? Thats a problem for US cuz that means less content and shorter stories for our games.

EDIT: @Celestia im not trying to argue about people who payed full price for a great game cuz chances are that game was worth the money but games should lessen in value over time but as long as the company gets the money in some way, shape, or form its alright cuz my arguement isnt about ppl getting deals its about companies not getting the money they deserve.

Edited by Tyranno128

Celesita can I have your babies! tongue.png

And Tyranno, please could you stop using "cuz" this is not MSN!dry.png

I am all for supporting developers, you forget the publishers they make the most bank, do you really think the developers get what they deserve? Not really, especially if their punlisher is EA!sleep.png

• Thumbs Up 1

And you still haven't explained why companies deserve the money from secondhand sales.

And no, developers and publishers going under this generation has nothing to do with the used market. It has to do with developers and publishers making incredibly bad decisions, and making the market borderline unsustainable for smaller companies because of development costs.

Celesita can I have your babies! tongue.png

And Tyranno, please could you stop using "cuz" this is not MSN!dry.png

I am all for supporting developers, you forget the publishers they make the most bank, do you really think the developers get what they deserve? Not really, especially if their punlisher is EA!sleep.png

I know thats what my friend who pirates argues with me and if you read some of the leaked stuff about EA you'd know that they dont deserve a penny for the way they treat gamers and developers. But still pirating and making Gamestop richer isnt gonna help those developers make any more money for what they deserve.

And you still haven't explained why companies deserve the money from secondhand sales.

And no, developers and publishers going under this generation has nothing to do with the used market. It has to do with developers and publishers making incredibly bad decisions, and making the market borderline unsustainable for smaller companies because of development costs.

Not to mention people have less money to spend on games and consoles because of the recession which doesn't seem to end!sad.png

Well idk what store your gf works at but stores not making a profit off of their products seems like a bit of a stupid statement to defend.

What LunarEdge said would be correct. Also the price set by the store usually has NOTHING to do with how much money the developers get.

yes I know we all love bargains and we try andf get them but buying a used game is a bargain for us and a nail in the coffin for video game companies. Did you realize how many video game companies went out of business last year? Or many game developers were laid off? Thats a problem for US cuz that means less content and shorter stories for our games.

Yeah and the second hand game sales were totally the reason for that... had nothing to do with crap games that just didn't sell, dodgy decisions, or overhyped crap that people didn't fall for... Also that huge global recession might have had a hand in why a lot of people got laid off.

Also, there is another thing you shoud be aware of if you insist on continuing this line of argument as it's totally undermining it.

A store buys the game from a distributor at a price set by the distributor. The money in this transaction is sent directly back to the studio... after the distributor takes it's cut if it's not a third party distributor/tax etc etc.

Now... the games from that sale are in the hands of the store... The price set by the store and the money made from the sale in the store normally has NOTHING to do with what the studio gets back.

If that initial stock of games flies of the shlefs, the buying team at the store will place another order... hence why you hear of incidents like Demons Souls which needed another print made and do we not forget the weeks some places had to wait before Pokemon red & Blue managed to appear back in the shops.

If however the game isn't selling well, the store will lower the price, and sometimes it'll be lower than the cost they originally made, reason being is that it needs the clear shelf space to put up games that are selling instead of keeping them away in storage as its not cost effective to put non selling games into storage.

Not to mention people have less money to spend on games and consoles because of the recession which doesn't seem to end!sad.png

That also didn't help, no. This generation was envisioned with expenses be damned because that was somewhat sustainable in 2005 (at least for the big companies).

That is why I think the NextBox and PS4 will be designed with developer friendliness first and foremost; because they almost have to be.

Edited by Celestia

Ah whatever I aint arguing with you people anymore. If you wanna contribute to the downfall of the industry thats been going on so be it. But once digital distribution becomes big your gonna never wanna go back, unless your a collector.

If you wanna contribute to the downfall of the industry thats been going on so be it.

laugh.png

Sure do wish you actually bothered to explain this, but oh well.

But once digital distribution becomes big your gonna never wanna go back, unless your a collector.

Once digital distribution replaces physical copies entirely, I'm washing my hands of it.

Edited by Celestia

Well idk what store your gf works at but stores not making a profit off of their products seems like a bit of a stupid statement to defend. I mean its not like people buy controllers everyday or wires or anything extra for their system. If stores really sold all there products at the same price they got them there wouldnt be as many chain stores as they are today. I would say that Gamestop would go out of business for selling new games without making a profit but we all know how they get all there money.

I never said they DIDN'T make a profit, just said not as much. People buy games, the store offers accessories and add-ons for consoles/games, such as replacement plans, extra controller, a case for that 3DS, so on and so forth. That's how a lot of stores do business today (well game stores).

Plus, if I sell a game to you for $60 and I make a dollar profit off of that game, chances are that game will return to the store at one time and I can take it back for less than half the price, let's say $15, and sell it for anywhere between $40 - $50, if not $55, that's a simple 100%+ profit right here. It's all about accessories, used products and etc. It's really not a stupid statement at all when you think about it, so please don't label it as so.

From personal experience, I use to work at Radio Shack. What the store paid for a T.V would be slightly less then what we sold it for (little profit, dollars at most). We then proceed to sell the customers accessories such as HDMI's, which the store paid anywhere from a dollar to $10 for and were being sold for about $30 for a 6ft cable. That's usually the business model most stores go with these days and it makes perfect sense if you ask me.

Edited by LunarEdge

I never said they DIDN'T make a profit, just said not as much. People buy games, the store offers accessories and add-ons for consoles/games, such as replacement plans, extra controller, a case for that 3DS, so on and so forth. That's how a lot of stores do business today (well game stores).

Plus, if I sell a game to you for $60 and I make a dollar profit off of that game, chances are that game will return to the store at one time and I can take it back for less than half the price, let's say $15, and sell it for anywhere between $40 - $50, if not $55, that's a simple 100%+ profit right here. It's all about accessories, used products and etc. It's really not a stupid statement at all when you think about it, so please don't label it as so.

From personal experience, I use to work at Radio Shack. What the store paid for a T.V would be slightly less then what we sold it for (little profit, dollars at most). We then proceed to sell the customers accessories such as HDMI's, which the store paid anywhere from a dollar to $10 for and were being sold for about $30 for a 6ft cable. That's usually the business model most stores go with these days and it makes perfect sense if you ask me.

Edited by Celestia