Awoo.

If Sonic did have a love interest, what would she have to be like?

Chaos Warp

Currently, the reason why I'm bothered that Sonic is interested with Sally is because it's dragging the comic narrative down with it. It's one thing to have a relationship as one of many points in a plot, it's another to dominate over the plot.

That's another part of the reason I don't particularly want Sonic paired up with anyone, I'm worried what might happen to the game narrative.

You wouldn't have to worry much, there isn't enough narrative to ruin.

You'd be surprised. Even a narrative of "Eggman's doing evil shit in some place, Sonic runs to the rescue" could potentially be severely compromised

I agree with VEDJ. When you're dealing with a simplistic story such as the games series, the threat of a romance can easily start to dominate things. If your not careful, the attention to a coupling could start to dictate who interacts with who, and how predictable said interactions can be. With such a limited storytelling space, a romance could find itself in the spotlight by only hogging a few scenes. If your going to build up a romance effectively, that's going to take up screen time. with only a few cutscenes to work with in the first place, screen time is already at a premium.

Personally, that's why one of the intangibles for a potential love interest for Sonic would have to be a written in stone parameter that keeps the relationship from infecting the rest of the story telling experience. It can't be someone helpless as every story from that moment forward would turn more into "Give me back my girlfriend" instead of the tried and true "I gotta save the world". Its also has to be someone that serves a complimentary role and doesn't necessarily have to steal spotlight to get their points across (like how Chris did in Sonic X). Like many of the people in this topic before me, I think Blaze is the closest thing we have to a match for all this. I also like to factor in how she lives in another dimension. That way, she doesn't even need to be involved with every plot. She's safely out of reach unless she comes to visit or Nega's up to no good in her world. It helps curb the temptation of having a relationship dominate the plot.

• Thumbs Up 2

Currently, the reason why I'm bothered that Sonic is interested with Sally is because it's dragging the comic narrative down with it. It's one thing to have a relationship as one of many points in a plot, it's another to dominate over the plot.

That's another part of the reason I don't particularly want Sonic paired up with anyone, I'm worried what might happen to the game narrative.

Well, I don't keep up with the comics, but I found the Sonic and Sally dynamic just fine in SatAM. It was there, but that didn't stop Sonic from kicking butt and taking names. I do remember the comics going really over the top about it, though. Like... love triangles, drama, etc. The way I see it, if Sonic is gonna be with someone in a story, it shouldn't be so dramatized.

And in the games, that's why I feel that concrete romance for any characters is unneeded other than implications. IF he got a canon girlfriend, I'd be okay with the occasional kiss maybe, but I still don't think that's game Sonic's style. I also don't see him as the sort to gush all over a love interest verbally, either. Actions > words and all that. You don't see him smother Tails with sappy sentimentality all that much, but he'd still send the kid on an elevator back to earth while he fights Dr. Eggman and saves the day.

It might sound like a double standard as a fan of SatAM's ship, but different Sonics and different canons have different standards. Plus, a video game is different from a cartoon show from the 90's.

I actually would've brought up Rainbow Dash, but... yeah. Already mentioned. That kinda personality type does seem like it'd work best, though, provided it was executed properly.

They're birds of a feather, you'd have to really suck to screw that up, but then again Sega kind of suck when it comes to their characters.

They're birds of a feather, you'd have to really suck to screw that up, but then again Sega kind of suck when it comes to their characters.

Rainbow Dash hates losing though...And Sonic is pretty much unbeatable.

• Chuckle 1

Rainbow Dash hates losing though...And Sonic is pretty much unbeatable.

Belligerent Sexual Tension.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

Or another Rainbow Dash mental breakdown.

And then Sonic can console her and then get all lovey dovey, this shit writes itself.

• Chuckle 1

"Marriage? No way!"

-Heroes Sonic

I honestly read this as Eroge Sonic due to the new theme's background.

• Thumbs Up 1

If both Sonic and Rainbow Dash weren't so gay, I could see them working as a couple.

Seriously, you guys all saw the way Sonic was eyeing Caliburn in that one cutscene of SatBK. Of course, Sonic has to play with him some other time.

Just-a-Little-Reminder-my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic-27374216-900-742.jpg

Must....not.....ship......ARRGHHH!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Grooseinator032
  • Thumbs Up 1

Well, at least the fangirls would be happy.

I honestly wouldn't care either way as long as the games are fun. >_>

Edited by ElementofChaos7

Speaking of Sonic and romance, it is interesting to note that out of all the girls to appear in the video game series, the only one who Sonic himself has clearly hinted an attraction towards is Lumina from Sonic Shuffle. In case anyone hasn't played the game, Sonic actually wolf-whistles the first time he sees her and enthusiastically says "Who are you?".

• Thumbs Up 4

The only love interest that would happen is Sonic and Amy, based on principle alone. And even then, we'll never see them together unless there's a sort of "what-if" scenario or if Sonic travels through time to see his future. Until then, it's just going to be Sonic rescuing Amy and consequently stealing her affection.

But if you ask me...

Dexter x Amy, OTP SUCKERS.

DexAmy.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

Why "based on principle alone"? I thought the whole idea of Sonic and Amy was that Amy wants him to be by her at all times and go get married and settle down while obsessing over him and etcetera etcetera.. and Sonic can't stand that so he keeps running away, too afraid to straight up put it down thanks to being too nice to someone he considers as a good friend.

Unless you're coming from the whole "repressed love" thing Sonic X tried to pull off (which was, honestly, silly and kinda OOC like the rest of the show), it doesn't really make any sense as to why Amy would be anything more than a one-sided interest of the fangirl kind.

Edited by Azukara
  • Thumbs Up 4

But really. We don't need love triangles in the games.

if they were protrayed in a way that was comical but not story breaking. I like love triangles, especially when it involves one person who doesn't know the others have a crush on him, but with some animosity between the pursuers. I do this alot lol

Why "based on principle alone"? I thought the whole idea of Sonic and Amy was that Amy wants him to be by her at all times and go get married and settle down while obsessing over him and etcetera etcetera.. and Sonic can't stand that so he keeps running away, too afraid to straight up put it down thanks to being too nice to someone he considers as a good friend.

Unless you're coming from the whole "repressed love" thing Sonic X tried to pull off (which was, honestly, silly and kinda OOC like the rest of the show), it doesn't really make any sense as to why Amy would be anything more than a one-sided interest of the fangirl kind.

Recent games and media that's why, Sonic X isn't the only media to tease those two, just saying. While its mainly played for humor and not meant to really be taken seriously, the two have had intimate moments, they're just very few of them in the series. I don't think Sonic has secret or repressed feelings, but at the same time I don't think he'd be completely against the idea of a relationship if he was able to grow and mature, that's obviously not going to happen in the series unless, like Indigo said, we got a peak into Sonic's future.

• Thumbs Up 1