Awoo.

Have The Adventure Games Lost Credit Due To Other Gameplay Styles?

Cortez

They're both flawed to be honest and I would largely prefer something different. And this is coming from a guy who loves Generations.

I can live with that as long as the speed is there.

Why wouldn't it be?

A certain Sonic game that shall not be named from around the 2006/2007 area comes to mind. >_> dry.png

As for the Adventure games "losing credit"...no, I don't think so. They may not have aged well, but they were pretty good games in their time, and I still enjoy playing them. I personally don't enjoy them as much as the modern era games, but I still like them.

I do think some ideas from the Adventure series would be good to implement into the current formula, particularly how Sonic controls, as well as the physics (i.e. going downhill makes Sonic accelerate much faster, particularly when rolling, etc.).

You know, something I've though of recently due to Sonic Generations...perhaps the next modern era will have gameplay combining ideas from all three eras? The good ideas only, I hope...but then again, whether or not certain ideas are 'good' is subjective!

Edited by ElementofChaos7

Looking purely at the Sonic stages, what adventure 1 has over all the 3D games that followed it is more variety in level design and greater depth to the game play. For this reason I still hold the view that it remains the best 3D Sonic game despite its flaws.

Adventure 1's level design wasn't that good honestly. Most of the time you were just running around, doing nothing. At least SA2 had some action going on.

Looking purely at the Sonic stages, what adventure 1 has over all the 3D games that followed it is more variety in level design and greater depth to the game play. For this reason I still hold the view that it remains the best 3D Sonic game despite its flaws.

I agree with this, but I still like the Modern formula more because of mixing platforming and multi-pathed level design with crazy speed, but I feel they can do the things you said easily with the Modern formula.

Yeah honestly I can't really imagine any levels from Sonic Adventure that wouldn't play just fine with the Generations engine. Obviously the boost wouldn't be as necessary but frankly that's what I think it should be - unnecessary but there to help you get back up to speed or for speedrunners to learn where to use it to it's best potential.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah honestly I can't really imagine any levels from Sonic Adventure that wouldn't play just fine with the Generations engine. Obviously the boost wouldn't be as necessary but frankly that's what I think it should be - unnecessary but there to help you get back up to speed or for speedrunners to learn where to use it to it's best potential.

If we removed boost, improved controls and added a spindash, it would basically be a faster version of the Adventure engine.

I do think some ideas from the Adventure series would be good to implement into the current formula, particularly how Sonic controls, as well as the physics (i.e. going downhill makes Sonic accelerate much faster, particularly when rolling, etc.).

You know, something I've though of recently due to Sonic Generations...perhaps the next modern era will have gameplay combining ideas from all three eras? The good ideas only, I hope...but then again, whether or not certain ideas are 'good' is subjective!

...but I'm hoping things can work out with this approach, which is what Sonic Team seems to be doing. They just need to balance out the elements different groups of fans want and then we'll have a solid gameplay style that pretty much everyone can enjoy. And I think gradually evolving the Modern gameplay into a more balanced style would be a good way to bring back fans without driving away the ones we have already. Of course all this is easier said than done of course, but I believe it can be done.

Adventure 1's level design wasn't that good honestly. Most of the time you were just running around, doing nothing. At least SA2 had some action going on.

SA2 wasn't much better. The only good levels from that game IMO were City Escape and Green Forest. Those are the ones that seem the least boring and repetitive.

Edited by Bolt The Cat

...Green Harbor?

Crazy Gadget is the best level IMO.

Yeah, it had the most platforming, and some very creative gimmicks.

But that's off topic.

...Green Harbor?

LOL fixed.

Crazy Gadget is the best level IMO.

It doesn't really seem that interesting aside from the Gravity switch puzzle (which Space Gadget does a lot better IMO). But then again, I haven't played SA2 yet, I've only seen videos. I refuse to play it until they port it to Xbox Live. Because if I'm going to suffer through the crap mech shooting and treasure hunting levels, I wanna get achievements out of it.

It doesn't really seem that interesting aside from the Gravity switch puzzle (which Space Gadget does a lot better IMO). But then again, I haven't played SA2 yet, I've only seen videos. I refuse to play it until they port it to Xbox Live. Because if I'm going to suffer through the crap mech shooting and treasure hunting levels, I wanna get achievements out of it.

.....Achievements are largely pointless anyway?

That's basically what I want for the Modern gameplay......Take it, improve controls to be more like Adventure at low speed, add Advance-style boost mode and rolling, make levels less path-based and more open and volia! The ideal Sonic game! Multiple playable characters making a return would be nice to.

That's basically what I want for the Modern gameplay......Take it, improve controls to be more like Adventure at low speed, add Advance-style boost mode and rolling, make levels less path-based and more open and volia! The ideal Sonic game! Multiple playable characters making a return would be nice to.

"Classic" fan: "You got Modern in my Classic!"

"Modern" fan: "You got Classic in my Modern!"

Both: "...Heeeeey..."

Fan of both: *probably fangasming at this point*

Seriously though, agreed. Assuming the next game is a start of a new 'era', I'm excited to see what we'll get, and in my little fantasy world it involves them finding a way to successfully create a new formula using their best ideas from previous formulas. The more realistic side of me doesn't expect it to happen, and for the next game to have the same gameplay style with maybe a few tweaks--basically, what they've been doing post-Unleashed. And hey, I'd be okay with that, too. I just know there's potential to do so much more.

As for multiple characters...I miss them. I don't think they were handled well in Adventure 1, let alone SA2/'06, but as long as they do what they did in S3&K, I'd be happy. Different abilities, but still the same basic gameplay--no racing or treasure-hunting. Well, maybe something like that as optional missions, but not mandatory to complete the game.

Oh, and something I just realized Sonic Adventure did that no other 3D Sonic game has done?...Tails following Sonic during stages. :P Even if he's kinda useless, it was a nice feature, if only for nostalgia points. I know he'd have a hard time catching up with the BOOOOOOOOOOOOSH, but hey--he could barely keep up with you in the classic games, too! I can't remember how many times I've left him behind in S2 and S3&K, not to mention Sonic Adventure...

.....Achievements are largely pointless anyway?

They're at least something. And besides, I need to earn a few more so I can make "over 9000" jokes (I'm just barely under).

"Classic" fan: "You got Modern in my Classic!"

"Modern" fan: "You got Classic in my Modern!"

Both: "...Heeeeey..."

Fan of both: *probably fangasming at this point*

Seriously though, agreed. Assuming the next game is a start of a new 'era', I'm excited to see what we'll get, and in my little fantasy world it involves them finding a way to successfully create a new formula using their best ideas from previous formulas. The more realistic side of me doesn't expect it to happen, and for the next game to have the same gameplay style with maybe a few tweaks--basically, what they've been doing post-Unleashed. And hey, I'd be okay with that, too. I just know there's potential to do so much more.

These are the two most likely scenarios for future 3D gameplay. I can see either of them working relatively well, it's just a matter of how they want to balance different elements from the different gameplay styles.

As for multiple characters...I miss them. I don't think they were handled well in Adventure 1, let alone SA2/'06, but as long as they do what they did in S3&K, I'd be happy. Different abilities, but still the same basic gameplay--no racing or treasure-hunting. Well, maybe something like that as optional missions, but not mandatory to complete the game.

Agreed, Sola Sonica needs to end soon. And yeah, I don't mind having alternate gameplay in missions if it's handled well. I mean, I actually enjoyed the treasure hunting in Generations.

Oh, and something I just realized Sonic Adventure did that no other 3D Sonic game has done?...Tails following Sonic during stages. tongue.png Even if he's kinda useless, it was a nice feature, if only for nostalgia points. I know he'd have a hard time catching up with the BOOOOOOOOOOOOSH, but hey--he could barely keep up with you in the classic games, too! I can't remember how many times I've left him behind in S2 and S3&K, not to mention Sonic Adventure...

Funny thing, if you play Ultimate Flash Sonic (a flash game that's basically a watered down version of Advance 2), you can unlock the option to have Tails follow your character around (any character except himself, of course). Maybe they could add that feature into official games?

Agreed, Sola Sonica needs to end soon. And yeah, I don't mind having alternate gameplay in missions if it's handled well. I mean, I actually enjoyed the treasure hunting in Generations.