Awoo.

Official Anime/Manga Thread

Random Rhyme

The only anime I've ever loved.

eureka-281.jpg

Thank God someone knows about this anime! I absolutely loved it I watched it a couple of months ago and was blown away with it. Although I did not enjoy how emo the Captain of the Gecko State was... My God he was a grouch. One of the first mecha anime I watched and enjoyed.

Why do people keep letting this die?

I had to watch the Gravitation OVA last night cos I'm reviewing it and...well...XD rofl

Yeah, I don't see it happening soon, but at least they are doing that HARUHI-CHAN series on YouTube and that's working for me now, since that series is so damn hilarious.

You mean that was actually by whatever company makes TMoHS? I thought it was just some dorky fan-made video series. I might watch it soon, I'm not sure.

e053b1fd5830da9707ffe3f93865a4b2123.jpg

Stuff coming up

So I see they're airing a second season of Chi's Sweet Home. I thought that was a cute series, so I'm looking forward to the second season. I'm certainly going to check out the remastered Dragon Ball Z as well. I can't wait for the FMA remake as well!

Edit: Konnichiwa Anne's animation style reminds me of Miyazaki's style. It looks very similar.

Edited by Kevin

I love Chii's Sweet Home n__n there's quite a few good looking animes out this season. Though I'm not bothered about FMA cos I found it boring >.>

I wonder if they'll air Chi's Sweet Home on TV Tokyo weekdays 6:40-6:45 AM like they did with season 1? Mollfie, I agree there's some really good looking anime this season.

I watched an episode of Cowboy Bebop for the first time this morning - episode 20. It was actually really impressive, from what I've seen. I'd love to be able to catch more of this series later; hopefully Adult Swim has this on continuous re-runs or something.

Mollfie, I just got finished reading the first chapter of Yotsuba. It looks really cute, and gave me a few chuckles along the way. Her design looks a lot like Chiyo from Azumanga Daioh. No surprise seeing as it's from the people who did Azumanga though. Thanks for the recommendation!

Edited by Kevin

I'm not as into anime or even call it anime (I call everything that's animated cartoons now, partially because I don't think it's right to even put anime as a separate medium) as much as I used to. I still watch some new ones just to see if any of them click. Not a lot of them do. I still follow One Piece, and now Soul Eater, since I found them entertaining. Gurren Lagann is done and favorited. Code Geass grew stale. I still watch the Dragon Ball series out of nostalgia value and shall watch Dragon Ball Kai when it comes out. Some of my favorites of Japanese animation:

- Dragon Ball series (It shall never escape me. And I can't escape from it)

- Gurren Lagann

- Full Metal Alchemist

- Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo

- One Piece

- Soul Eater

- Gundam X

- Baccano

- Cowboy Bebop

- Black Jack

- Rurouni Kenshin

- Black Lagoon

- Lupin III

- Now & Then, Here & There

- Shaman King

- Princess Mononoke and most other Miyazaki films

- Trigun

- BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad

- The Girl Who Leapt Through Time

....and I think that's it. I wonder how many people know Black Jack here.

partially because I don't think it's right to even put anime as a separate medium

I don't see why not. Anime as a whole tackles stories, themes, and demographics that Western animation refuses to touch (and never will). There's really a lot to be found in anime that you can't find anywhere else, or even anymore. So I think it's appropriate to categorize it into its own medium, just as others do for French animation, etc. It's not just the country of origin that's different - it's nearly everything.

That's not to say there isn't bad anime - oh man, there really are a lot of shitty ones.

Despite this, I'd rather call myself a general animation fan than specifically an anime fan, however. I'm obsessed with animation overall, not just anime.

....and I think that's it. I wonder how many people know Black Jack here.

I've seen one of the OVAs. It's interesting, but I'm more of a fan of Astro Boy.

^ no it's not lol, what are you looking for? I'm happy to give reccomendations.

Twilight might become an anime rofl

I don't even know what I am looking for. Preferably modern day, good story, not too insane, and funny. Though if it isn't funny but still good I would be happy.

I don't even know what I am looking for. Preferably modern day, good story, not too insane, and funny. Though if it isn't funny but still good I would be happy.

Kamichu! seems pretty solid so far. It's about a middle schooler who realizes that she has become a god overnight. She and her friends spend time trying to find out what kind of god she is - all while she also struggles with getting the attention of the boy she likes.

Even though it's a comedy, it's not the screwball type. It's very slice-of-life and gentle in nature, almost like a Studio Ghibli film.

Elfen Lied if you don't mind gore/horror/nudity?

Myself Yourself, highschool romance, great story, realistic (no fantasty etc), makes me cry.

True Tears, highschool romance, good story, nice characters.

Edited by Mollfie

Elfen Lied is an excellent anime if you're able to stomach the gore and nudity. The story and how everything unfolds is fantastic!

While we're recommending animes and mangas here, another one I can recommend is Serial Experiments Lain. A friend of mine recommended it to me, and I thought it was pretty good. The story was interesting, and I loved the opening theme.

Edited by Kevin

I don't see why not. Anime as a whole tackles stories, themes, and demographics that Western animation refuses to touch (and never will). There's really a lot to be found in anime that you can't find anywhere else, or even anymore. So I think it's appropriate to categorize it into its own medium, just as others do for French animation, etc. It's not just the country of origin that's different - it's nearly everything.

That's not to say there isn't bad anime - oh man, there really are a lot of shitty ones.

Despite this, I'd rather call myself a general animation fan than specifically an anime fan, however. I'm obsessed with animation overall, not just anime.

>_> You haven't seen Gargoyles, Batman: TAS (even if it's episodic), Avatar, or any other story driven cartoons in Western animation that did what you just said, have you? Especially the former two.

As for why not...Style is style. Just because one does something different from the other doesn't mean it's a different medium all together. They still all share that one major piece that makes it an animation. I don't care whether or not if the cartoons in Japan did something different from America, French, or who ever dominates the market or whatever's better than the other. That doesn't matter to me. They're still cartoons to me. That's all I'm going to say about.

I've seen one of the OVAs. It's interesting, but I'm more of a fan of Astro Boy.

Hmm...haven't seen much of Astro Boy as much as I like to.

>_> You haven't seen Gargoyles, Batman: TAS (even if it's episodic), Avatar, or any other story driven cartoons in Western animation that did what you just said, have you? Especially the former two.

I've seen Gargoyles on the very rare occasion and don't have much recollection on it. I'm a huge fan of Batman The Animated Series. Never watched Avatar.

With the exception of Avatar, the former two aren't contemporary. Even then, Avatar is the only contemporary animation I have heard of that has an enduring story and characterization that appeals to all audiences. I would love to hear about any other examples that have been made within the last five or so years.

That's all I'm going to say about.

Wasn't trying to start a debate or an argument, 'twas just a casual and friendly comment on my part.

Edited by Jake

Wasn't trying to start a debate or an argument, 'twas just a casual and friendly comment on my part.

Overreaction on my part. Sorry.

With the exception of Avatar, the former two aren't contemporary. Even then, Avatar is the only contemporary animation I have heard of that has an enduring story and characterization that appeals to all audiences. I would love to hear about any other examples that have been made within the last five or so years.

I guess one recent example would be The Spectacular Spider-Man (by the Gargoyles team), which takes elements from previous Spider-Man mediums and makes it its own thing. So far, it's gotten pretty good reception for its solid script, and consistency, possibly more so than it's 90s counterpart, which is pretty impressive. They've made characters like Flash Thompson much more relatable. And, the plot for each episode are loosely related to the entire season, sometimes stringing to the next season. ...and the action is pretty sweet.

That's just one I could name off the top of my head, though. I would like more cartoons to take a gander at that sort of thing. But, comedy is always welcomed. *shrug*

Edited by Ryusuke