Awoo.

Pokemon Anime General Discussion

King Frosty

I just feel like things would have went a lot more smoothly if they were just upfront about it from the beginning. It's really fucked up to mess with fan expectations like this.

• Thumbs Up 1

I wish they were upfront then I could've at least not have cared from the start instead of wasting my time being excited about the idea of something new 

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Soniman said:

I wish they were upfront then I could've at least not have cared from the start instead of wasting my time being excited about the idea of something new 

The Kalos league wasn't enough.

5 minutes ago, Soniman said:

Something old, more like

Spoiler

I'm sorry.

• Thumbs Up 1

Shit, wait, the producer of the XY anime is in charge of this movie, isn't he?

That Piplup Ash mentioned in the aquarium episode is the new girl's, and XY and this film are in its separate continuity.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, -Robin- said:

That Piplup Ash mentioned in the aquarium episode is the new girl's, and XY and this film are in its separate continuity.

That'd explain a hell of a lot about XY's total disassociation from the previous series', actually.

13 minutes ago, -Robin- said:

There is no way in hell that they were able to plan this that far in advanced. It was pretty obvious that it was a reference to Dawn. C'mon man let's not get too crazy with this. 

3 hours ago, Josh said:

If they want to focus on a new generation of kids, that's fine. I've long since aged out of this series and it's backlog shouldn't be required watching for a kid to enjoy it. I get that. It's the entire reason for that new generation stuff. They want to make it as assecable as when I first started watching and I'll respect that. 

But.. kids don't really know about Gen 1 shit, so this movie is clearly aiming a bit higher. That's why I'm confused now. Who's this for?

The eShop ports of R/B/Y are how kids know about gen 1. 

If you guys actually read the plot summary, you'd realize that the movie isn't retelling the entire Kanto adventure in one go.

To all Pokémon fans: This is the story of the duo's "meeting" and "promise". This is the creation of the 20th anniversary movie! Pocket Monsters, or "Pokémon" for short: Mysterious lifeforms that hide many secrets. There are still many things we don't know about their ecology. Even today, Pokémon Trainers continue their adventures with the aim of encountering Pokémon never before seen...

Ash, a boy living in Pallet Town, greeted the morning of his 10th birthday, the day he could become qualified to become a Pokémon Trainer. Ash's heart was filled with a desire for Pokémon he has never seen before and a world he has never seen before, but while he was meant to be given a Pokémon that would become his partner at the Oak Laboratories, he ended up severely oversleeping, and all that was left for him was a single Pikachu, a Pokémon that did not get attached to humans. "Do you hate me? I like you!" Even though the two were at odds with one another, their friendship deepened little by little, and as they looked up at the legendary Pokémon Ho-Oh that flew through the sky on the day they set off, Ash and Pikachu swore an oath as they held one of its Rainbow Wings: "Let's go meet it together one day!" And thus, Pikachu and Ash, who set off on his journey to become the world's greatest Pokémon Master, end up meeting the Trainers Makoto and Soji on their way before getting told a legend concerning Ho-Oh.

"Those who, guided by the Rainbow Wing, meet with Ho-Oh, shall become the Heroes of the Rainbow." Ash and the others end up getting guided by Marshadow, a mysterious Pokémon that had been lurking in Ash's shadow without anyone realizing, and make their way to Mount Tensei, where Ho-Oh lives, but a strong opponent appears before them. Will the duo manage to reach Ho-Oh?! In order for them to fulfill the promise they swore on the day the departed, the two of them now begin an adventure that will last until they become "true partners"!

It's actually more of a revamp of the first few episodes, switching locations around and events, and its main goal is to reach Ho-Oh in a nearby Mountain. The new people are also ONLY on the ride for Ho-Oh. It's not replacing the original series as the movies barring Genesect are non-canon and even if it DID, what's stopping Misty and Brock from still joining Ash in this new universe of sorts once he reached the Gyms? Misty and Brock are more known these days as Gym Leaders, not Ash's companions because, well, thats who they ARE. I never understood why people wanted this movie to be some giant, better looking version of an anime that we KNOW isn't even that good at all. Because Nostalgia? I'm getting really tired of this Gen 1 is pure bullshit that I keep seeing. It's an ANNIVERSARY movie celebrating the anime as well. The movie having any Pokemon across any gen makes sense as its to celebrate the entire franchise and all the Pokemon, not just Gen One. 

• Thumbs Up 1

The bit about Ash "greeting the morning of his 10th birthday" tells me the current staff are either unaware or just straight up don't care about Takeshi Shudō's original ideas for Ash's backstory. Specifically, in this case, the fact that Ash's tenth birthday was actually months prior.

46 minutes ago, PSI Wind said:

If you guys actually read the plot summary, you'd realize that the movie isn't retelling the entire Kanto adventure in one go.

It's actually more of a revamp of the first few episodes, switching locations around and events, and its main goal is to reach Ho-Oh in a nearby Mountain. The new people are also ONLY on the ride for Ho-Oh. It's not replacing the original series as the movies barring Genesect are non-canon and even if it DID, what's stopping Misty and Brock from still joining Ash in this new universe of sorts once he reached the Gyms? Misty and Brock are more known these days as Gym Leaders, not Ash's companions because, well, thats who they ARE. I never understood why people wanted this movie to be some giant, better looking version of an anime that we KNOW isn't even that good at all. Because Nostalgia? I'm getting really tired of this Gen 1 is pure bullshit that I keep seeing. It's an ANNIVERSARY movie celebrating the anime as well. The movie having any Pokemon across any gen makes sense as its to celebrate the entire franchise and all the Pokemon, not just Gen One. 

You know what I'm tired of?

People who misunderstand fundamentally what the disappointed people are disappointed about and then go off on assumptions and bullshit. Yall Pokeani fans are somehow even better at turning people off the show than the show itself. 

• Thumbs Up 7

40 minutes ago, PSI Wind said:

t's actually more of a revamp of the first few episodes, switching locations around and events, and its main goal is to reach Ho-Oh in a nearby Mountain. The new people are also ONLY on the ride for Ho-Oh. It's not replacing the original series as the movies barring Genesect are non-canon and even if it DID, what's stopping Misty and Brock from still joining Ash in this new universe of sorts once he reached the Gyms? Misty and Brock are more known these days as Gym Leaders, not Ash's companions because, well, thats who they ARE. I never understood why people wanted this movie to be some giant, better looking version of an anime that we KNOW isn't even that good at all. Because Nostalgia? I'm getting really tired of this Gen 1 is pure bullshit that I keep seeing. It's an ANNIVERSARY movie celebrating the anime as well. The movie having any Pokemon across any gen makes sense as its to celebrate the entire franchise and all the Pokemon, not just Gen One. 

Let's make a movie where we go to Unova, but every Pokemon you see is from Hoenn and Johto, with three new gen 7 legendaries introduced, except Tepig over there.

Sorry, were you expecting the majority of the Pokemon to be from Unova? I just don't understand why people keep pandering to gen 5.

Also, when you go out of your way to go back to the first few episodes of the Pokemon anime, the least people expect is for the cast that was in the first few episodes of the Pokemon anime to make an appearance and have some relevance. Not only to mention that it doesn't matter if it's an anniversary of the rest of the series too, the point is that this is where it began and is where a lot of people still see the series as at it's prime.

No amount of history with other seasons where Ash was perpetually ten is going to make people forget Pokemon's original cast and the legacy it withheld. The Pokemon anime (actually Pokemon in general)'s beginnings are as etched into 90s-early 2000s pop culture as Star Wars in the 1980s or the Beatles in the 1960s, lmao.

• Thumbs Up 5

So basically, do you guys want an essentially reanimated version of the first few episodes or whole season? But, like in movie form? Or more like a reboot kinda thing where some stuff is changed, just not dramatically?

14 minutes ago, Josh said:

You know what I'm tired of?

People who misunderstand fundamentally what the disappointed people are disappointed about and then go off on assumptions and bullshit. Yall Pokeani fans are somehow even better at turning people off the show than the show itself. 

It works both ways. In a way it kinda seem like you guys are making everybody who is excited or interested feeling bad about it. It's the same thing that goes on in the Mania & Forces thread. I'm not saying that's not your intention but it's the vibe I get. 

Just now, Dejimon11 said:

It works both ways. In a way it kinda seem like you guys are making everybody who is excited or interested feeling bad about it. It's the same thing that goes on in the Mania & Forces thread. I'm not saying that's not your intention but it's the vibe I get. 

I never once came at anyone for being excited

Meanwhile from the "fans" I get this shit

1 hour ago, PSI Wind said:

never understood why people wanted this movie to be some giant, better looking version of an anime that we KNOW isn't even that good at all. Because Nostalgia? I'm getting really tired of this Gen 1 is pure bullshit that I keep seeing.

"WAAA! WHY IS IT DIFFERENT!? WAAA!"

Babies.

I wouldn't even still be talking about this movie if I didn't keep seeing shit like this everywhere

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't understand this insistence that we should except change for change's sake. Pro movie people see it as something fresh and new, I and many others see at fixing something that wasn't broken in the fucking first place, that's just how it is. Not everything is "blinded by nostalgia" it's straight up just preference 

• Thumbs Up 8

I'll laugh and cry pretty hard if Misty is still in the movie but only in the scene where Ash takes her bike

2 minutes ago, Sean said:

I'll laugh and cry pretty hard if Misty is still in the movie but only in the scene where Ash takes her bike

actually Ash goes into that scene bikeless, so Misty doesnt even get that lmao

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Soniman said:

I don't understand this insistence that we should except change for change's sake. Pro movie people see it as something fresh and new, I and many others see at fixing something that wasn't broken in the fucking first place, that's just how it is. Not everything is "blinded by nostalgia" it's straight up just preference 

You could just see it for what it is, but I guess what it is changes depending on who you are. If you're mostly a fan of the first episodes, it's basically a giant middle finger if you were expecting to relive those glory days when you still cared about the Anime, while newer fans or at least ones who don't mind the newer stuff just see it as something fresh and new to explore. 

Sooooooooo, fan gonna fans I guess.

It's been a long time since I've been interested in the Pokemon anime - I take a general interest on a surface level and like to hear what's going on in it, but I'm not interested in watching it any more - but this turn of events is fascinatingly weird.

I do think the question of "who is this for?" is a relevant one.  Is it for the nostalgic adults who watched the original series - and if so, why aren't they committing to it with more of the characters and events people are nostalgic for rather than just limiting it to the very start?  Or is this for the new fans who are maybe just starting with Generations VI and VII - and if so, why is all this nostalgic Gen I stuff in there?  The result is a compromise that doesn't fully satisfy anyone; both new and old fans seem to be left adrift by this.

Honestly, the impression I get is that this almost certainly started out as exactly what they first presented it as - a nostalgic remake with new polish of some of the oldest material in the anime, with modern quality and polish and a plotline the oldest fans still cared about.  But then the marketing crept in, and more and more later-gen material was introduced so as not to leave out more recent fans.  New characters with new Pokemon, new friends, new enemies, Marshadow - all harmless enough in itself, but the accumulation diluted the original vision until they completely lost sight of what the project was meant to be.

If I'm honest, it's actually a little bit funny to think about them trying the same approach again somewhere down the line.  GS Ball?  Why, it stands for Gen Sixteen, and all along it contained Pokemon #2000!

• Thumbs Up 2

35gPqI.jpg

Either this is another case of the manga deviating from the source material to an incredible degree again, or this is implying Sun/Moon era Ash will show up in the movie. Maybe the whole movie is a flashback or something?

3 hours ago, Ernest-Panda said:

35gPqI.jpg

Either this is another case of the manga deviating from the source material to an incredible degree again, or this is implying Sun/Moon era Ash will show up in the movie. Maybe the whole movie is a flashback or something?

If it were a flashback, wouldn't that mean Misty and Brock are now retconned?

...Uh oh.

• Thumbs Up 3