Awoo.

Pokemon Anime General Discussion

King Frosty

2 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda said:

Hmmm...

...you know, it was actually because of a viewer poll that they brought Wobbuffet back after BW. You think this could be hinting at something?

Wait really? Anything else that viewer polls have affected in this show? I feel as if these are the kind of things that shouldn't be exclusive to Japan and just get the international fans involved with as well. But that's just me.

That's the only one I know of. It was a poll they ran at the end of the last episode of the Meloetta arc that viewers had to call in to answer. It was a choice between Wobbuffet, Mime Jr. or Dustox.

4 hours ago, Dejimon11 said:

Wait really? Anything else that viewer polls have affected in this show? I feel as if these are the kind of things that shouldn't be exclusive to Japan and just get the international fans involved with as well. But that's just me.

I'm glad these things are restricted to Japan only. If the international fanbase had any sort of word into what goes into the anime, we'd have nothing but Brock and Misty for every single season and Ash would be restricted to his old Kanto team. The international fanbase is so fucked when it comes to Pokemon. I wouldn't trust them with anything and I'm glad we have very little input when it comes to the series.

• Thumbs Up 2

Haven't been following the SuMo dub, has the voices and dialogue become less cringeworthy yet?

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Ernest-Panda said:

For those who missed it, this was today's opening:

Did they seriously just used clips from the actual show in the intro...That japanese intro?

I mean the dub i understand but for the Japanese version to use clips from the show for 90% of the intro is just plain laziness on their part.

On 5/13/2017 at 8:19 PM, CD Sanic said:

Haven't been following the SuMo dub, has the voices and dialogue become less cringeworthy yet?

From what I can tell, the dialogue is basically the same as the Japanese version. Even Team Rocket's usual awful dub dialogue seems to have been scaled back.

As far as voices go, I personally think all the new characters' voices have been pretty spot-on, though it's taking me some time to warm up to Lilli. And Team Skull could stand to sound a little more thug-ish, for lack of a better term. But yeah, all in all, pretty great casting, I think.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

If you think the melody of that new theme sounds familiar:

Also the singer is the woman who sang the Jirachi movie's ending.

Here's a summary of the movie 

http://www.pokebeach.com/2017/07/pokemon-i-choose-you-movie-20-summary

Like at first it sounds like stand stuff but near the end this is so WTF. I-I need to see this movie guys you don't understand(id love to see in Japanese with English subs tho) this is so ridiculous it's good.

sounds like a shhitty fanfic, its amazing how far this movie has fallent

I like how they've at least sprinkled little nods to episodes of the show throughout (the pink Butterfree, Charmander being abandoned).

Hey Ash and the new girl are in wedding clothes and....oh....ooooh....Uh-Oh 

DEM63_5V0AE7BIE.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

7 hours ago, SweeCrue said:

Yo, 5 seconds in!

Isn't that this girl from the first movie!?

{{{size}}}

*squints*

...I think it is!

Which means the Blastoise is Shellshocker.

EDIT: and 16 seconds in, her opponent looks like...

2gZbRq.png

He even eventually switches out Gengar for Venusaur, according to the summary.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

I can share some of the sentiments of the few reviews posted up there.

While it was entertaining, it didn't quite hit the mark as far as satisfaction is concerned. The pacing was really quick and kinda all over the place at times, since they wanted to show/demonstrate as many of the old key scenes as possible. It's okay for a long series to do that, but not so much for movies. The villain behavior and handling were also pretty strange. A few things are left unexplained, which would trigger some of the viewers and incite theorycrafting, but I think it's best to leave them as is, lol.

The two things that surprised me the most is the inclusion of the theme of death. I think it's a very rare thing in Pokemon. Similarly, I liked how the trainers are targeted for many of the attacks. Even with wild pokemon, battles typically just involves the pokemon instead of the frail human standing behind.

I went to see this with no prior knowledge (no trailers, etc. Just a title and a date as I happened to pass by movie theaters), so I was at least met with a few surprises. The pokemon main cast seems very (VERY) tailored to my taste (Lucario, Pochama, Gaogaen, Lizardon, Lugarugan~). Pretty blatant fan-catering, lol.

I think the only people generally surprised by Misty/Brock's absence in the movie are people who haven't followed the anime in 15 years. For those of us who continued to watch AG, DP, etc. in their original run or beyond, we know these characters haven't been relevant to the anime in years. Misty especially literally hasn't been part of the anime for 15 years since 2002, which means she's now been gone for 75% of the anime's run. I think a lot of people just don't actually realize how short lived Misty's character in the anime really was. Brock on the other hand really did last in the anime a long time (13 years sans Orange Islands) but of course that was a bad thing too as his character just got progressively worse the longer he stayed.

It's pretty obvious the writers gave up on Misty/Brock's characters both during and after the Johto arc. Once they saw how quickly May became popular and the initial success of the Contest episodes early into Hoenn, it made them realize they never had to bother with the original cast again. And of course this paved the way for all the new travel companions who came after. 

I suppose it was the writers mistake of keeping Misty/Brock around for multiple gens in the first place that tricked some people into thinking they were important. Now that all the new main characters come and leave in the same generation, no matter how popular some of them might be, it's obvious it doesn't matter.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1

If you're going to make a movie and sell it off as a 20th anniversary extravaganza complete with design choices and pandering to the original series, you should be committed to doing so and cover all the bases that make up the Original Series.

There's really no ifs, ands, or buts about it. Any attempt otherwise is just objectively incorrect.

Well then they shouldn't have bothered to begin with, and just made the first Sun/Moon movie featuring the current Alola cast instead.

In a way it screws over the SM cast too, because now they're going to get one less movie for their generation than others.

Speaking of the Alola cast, they didn't even show up in the end credits with everyone else.

Even Tracey was featured and not them!

I'm going to hold out and hope 2018 is gonna be an Ultra Beast movie.

Just once I'd love to see a theatrical release that follows the games more closely. Something like Origins and Generations but turned into a full movie! I think it'd be pretty awesome to see and the next stop to go with these "game canon" anime series.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think I would've been more interested in an anniversary movie if it was like, a whole series recap instead of just season 1. Pokémon BW had a reanimated version of some scenes from season 1 already (focusing on Charizard) so I'd actually like to see what this original stuff in the movie is.