Awoo.

Rayman 3 HD

Mark1

Hasn't 2 been re-released enough time already? They may just be simple ports, but eesh. At least this is a different port.

I've not played R3 before, but have been wanting to for ages. Shame it's just a simple HD ports that's coming through XBLA/PSN though.

Not on PSN or XBLA as far as my knowledge goes on this matter.

Edited by LunarEdge

Nice to know that Rayman 3's coming back in a HD port...but if they really wanted to make some dough, how come they should make a HD trilogy collection. I also wonder if Rayman 1 and 2 will get similar treatment.

This is the best thing that has ever happened to XBLA. This is one of my favourite games ever and I've been dying to play it again!!! This is the one game I've been hoping for since all these HD collections were announced. When it is due??

Rayman 2's voice acting was, I think, because it was only in Raymonian until the PS2 version was released.

The PS1 version had full English voice-acting as well.

*Not even sure if she's got the point of the conversation this replies to*

I'm pretty sure Rayman 2 on PS1 had the gibberish that the N64 and Dreamcast version did... The voice acting was done for the PS2 'Revoluton' re-release (and then swiftly forgotten about for every port after that, for some reason...)

Did you guys realise that Globox in Rayman 3 is voiced by Jon Leguizamo? I never knew he could be so funny until this game.

16.jpg

Hey, Rayman, what's the matter, can't you fly? ...Like everyone else?

As for this being a simple HD up-port: I used to have this on PC and run it at 1024x768 resolution and trust me, it does not need to look any better than it currently does... The graphics and design are masterful and bar an ever-so-slight blur on a texture here and there, it's as timeless as Zelda: The Wind Waker would be if that got an HD re-release. It looks absolutely gorgeous in high resolution, I can't wait to play it in 1080p widescreen.

Edited by DistantJ

The PS1 version had full English voice-acting as well.

*Not even sure if she's got the point of the conversation this replies to*

No, you got it. I didn't know that, because I've only played the N64, DC and PS2 versions.

Edited by MarcelloF

I like Rayman 1, but found it too hard. I love Rayman 2, best non-SEGA game on the Dreamcast. Rayman 3, I remember liking, but I really missed the jibber jabber voices of Rayman 2. It was really weird hearing Rayman and Globox talk, especially with the voices of Sid the Sloth and Phillip J Fry being so obvious. Also, I missed throwing the energy ball thingys.

Still, 3 was fun and can't wait for a rerelease. Especially with the original XBOX release not being BC with the 360.

I like Rayman 1, but found it too hard. I love Rayman 2, best non-SEGA game on the Dreamcast. Rayman 3, I remember liking, but I really missed the jibber jabber voices of Rayman 2. It was really weird hearing Rayman and Globox talk, especially with the voices of Sid the Sloth and Phillip J Fry being so obvious. Also, I missed throwing the energy ball thingys.

Still, 3 was fun and can't wait for a rerelease. Especially with the original XBOX release not being BC with the 360.

I never did like the energy balls he threw in Rayman 2. He didn't have his original method of attack at all, which made his design seem kinda pointless.

..But all of that is completely besides the point.

Rawrdom was just mentioning they knew some form of Rayman 2 was on PSN, but not XBLA.

..But all of that is completely besides the point.

Rawrdom was just mentioning they knew some form of Rayman 2 was on PSN, but not XBLA.

And I was designating that as a moot point, as that particular charade that calls itself "Rayman 2" is woefully inadequate for anyone who actually wants to play the game properly.

Thus, Ubisoft should re-release a decent version of Rayman 2 on both XBLA and PSN as a result of it not being at all present on the former and intelligence-insultingly terrible on the latter.

Even if the PS1 version of it is inferior, I think most people are just about tired of seeing re-releases of Rayman 2. You can play it on almost anything already. It's not really that big of a deal.

Can another Rayman game get some attention for a change? One that I happen to think is actually a lot more fun?

Edited by Chooch
  • Thumbs Up 5

It'll never ever happen, but I'd love to see Rayman 1 in Origin's style. Sure, some people don't like it, but I think it would look amazing.

Plus that game needs more love, I still prefer it to 2.

Even if the PS1 version of it is inferior, I think most people are just about tired of seeing re-releases of Rayman 2. You can play it on almost anything already. It's not really that big of a deal.

I couldn't help but laugh when you described Rayman 2 as an "unadulterated work of genius". I love Rayman 2, I really do, but the pedestal that you're putting it on above all other Rayman games while continuously bashing the other two main games in the series is just.. amusing, for lack of a better word.

Yes, I was talking about Rayman 3. I loved the combat system, the power ups, the wacky and zany style of humor, the level design.. Everything. The way the plot was presented as well as the characters was far less serious than that of Rayman 2 but I loved it for that exact reason. That same style seems to have carried over into Origins as well which is why I'm greatly looking forward to playing that as well. Just need the cash for it.

As I said before, Rayman 2 is the only Rayman game that gets any real attention from people. There are other Rayman games and while you'll insist that they aren't, I think they're a lot of fun if not more fun that "masterpiece" that 2 was.

Edited by Chooch
  • Thumbs Up 9

I have no idea how anyone can possibly defend Rayman 2's combat. Rayman 3 has infinitely superior combat in that it actually feels like you're attacking stuff. The original Rayman 2 beta had the same hand-throwing trademark that the original Rayman had, but it looked like shit back then and was replaced with the orbs in the final, which had some of the most barren and thoughtless combat that ever happened on-screen. Enemies were nothing more but obstructive additions in design, very rarely even appeared in levels and served to completely distract you from the fact that most battles are won just by spamming the attack button. Unlike in Rayman 3 where the combat follows it's own framework throughout the game and there's an actual reason for it, Rayman 2's combat is nothing more but an excuse to justify the addition of a mechanic that's only useful for button pushing and puzzles. The final level in particular only has one enemy encounter. That's just laughable.

Everything Rayman 2 has ever managed to influence in the platforming genre has since then been done better by far superior games. It may be a classic, but it's still an old game, and when it's quality is somehow always placed on a higher pedestal over Rayman 3, overshadowing it's successor's awesome progression, feel of adventure and pacing, just because of it being more influential, it becomes just mind numbing. Rayman 2 had the advantage of being groundbreaking for it's time. Rayman 3 didn't bring anything new, but it surely made the entire concept of the series fresh, clean and focused, and I'd argue that it holds up better than its predecessor due to the advantage of not utilizing it's influential status as a means to be milked on every new console that is completely fine with shovelware.

• Thumbs Up 4

That's why I love Rayman 3 too, Chooch. Apparently, Ancel wants Rayman to be a less serious character anyway. Which is fine with me!

I have no idea how anyone can possibly defend Rayman 2's combat. Rayman 3 has infinitely superior combat in that it actually feels like you're attacking stuff. The original Rayman 2 beta had the same hand-throwing trademark that the original Rayman had, but it looked like shit back then and was replaced with the orbs in the final, which had some of the most barren and thoughtless combat that ever happened on-screen. Enemies were nothing more but obstructive additions in design, very rarely even appeared in levels and served to completely distract you from the fact that most battles are won just by spamming the attack button. Unlike in Rayman 3 where the combat follows it's own framework throughout the game and there's an actual reason for it, Rayman 2's combat is nothing more but an excuse to justify the addition of a mechanic that's only useful for button pushing and puzzles. The final level in particular only has one enemy encounter. That's just laughable.

I can say this is true myself. I played Rayman 2 on 3DS (it's supposedly the exact same thing in terms of gameplay), and combat was one of my main problems with it. It was completely dull and lackluster attack spamming with little substance. I had a few other problems with Rayman 3D as well. If they're in the console versions, then I can say that while it was a GOOD game, by today's standards I can't consider it "great". You may be wearing nostalgia goggles thar, Eggsy.

That said, it had some great level designs, so I'm interested in the XBLA version of Rayman 3 as well as Rayman Origins. I'll probably get both, but Rayman 3 interests me a bit more, what with it being 3-D and all.

Edited by T-Man

It'll never ever happen, but I'd love to see Rayman 1 in Origin's style. Sure, some people don't like it, but I think it would look amazing.

Plus that game needs more love, I still prefer it to 2.

Same. Just so long as they don't use the God-awful character style.
  • Thumbs Up 1