Awoo.

Stop Online Piracy Act & Protect IP Act

Mega

Then why can't Sega say something that they are against this bill? Why are they keeping quiet? They are members of the ESA, people will be assuming they are in this thing.

Sony and Nintendo both confirmed that they're not full on supporters

Edited by New Year's Cero

Sony and Nintendo both confirmed that they're not

I can say to you, "I don't support the SOPA" to avoid backlash, but on paper, you are IN a group that supports SOPA. What are you still doing in that group if you don't support it? The only way I can believe them is they ACTUALLY remove themselves or threaten to leave ESA.

Edited by Spiced Christmas

I can say to you, "I don't support the SOPA" to avoid backlash, but on paper, you are IN a group that supports SOPA. What are you still doing in that group if you don't support it? The only way I can believe them is they ACTUALLY remove themselves or threaten to leave ESA.

Should the U.S. threaten to leave the U.N. every time they abstain from a U.N. decision?

• Thumbs Up 4

Should the U.S. threaten to leave the U.N. every time they abstain from a U.N. decision?

Well if it's a very serious one, yes. If it's a minor thing, no of course not. What if the U.N decides to block American citizens from the rest of the U.N countries? Would America just sit there and leave that decision alone?

SOPA is very serious bill and could (sorry, will) change the way we use the internet forever worldwide. You think SSMB will be around next year if this goes through? The way of us using the internet will be so limited, it's like what's the point of having it.

Sega may be against this thing, but I saw NO action from them so far. You cannot rule them out saying they do not support it because they are keeping quiet, especially when they are members of ESA.

Sony and Nintendo, would have to put up a bigger fight then just saying "I'm out." especially when they are in a group that is supporting it. It just feels like they are saying that to avoid the backlash and the hate from gamers. Sony and Nintendo KNOW they can get more monies if SOPA goes through. They don't care on how we use the internet, they just want our money.

The companies that support SOPA are so dumb it's unreal, they think this will eliminate piracy but piracy will always be with us forever you can't get rid of it. SOPA only hurts us the innocent people.

If Sega ever openly expressed approval of this bill Sonic Retro would have been shut down three years ago.

Thing is, they don't have to express anything at this point. If they are against it, they would have said something by now at least.

I can see what Spiced Christmas is talking about. Sega don't have to do or say anything, but yet support the SOPA. The more I read about it, it makes sense.

Let's say I'm SEGA and I know about the SOPA. Would I support it? If it gives me more money, why should I go against it? But then if I open my mouth to the public about me supporting SOPA, it's suidice as many gamers will stop buying our games. There has to be another way---oh look! The ESA, the group I'm in is supporting the SOPA! I'm going to sit back and watch them do the dirty work for me. No need to open my mouth and add myself to that supporters list.

I've seen some past replies here, saying Sony doesn't support SOPA. Sony is a massive company, which has a lot of subsidiaries. Not every subsidiary of Sony agrees with each other. Sony Music Entertainment, Sony/ATV Music Publishing and Sony Nashville supports SOPA, while Sony Electronics doesn't.

Speaking of Sony Electronics, that is not the subsidiary we are looking for. Sony Electronics are the ones who makes the TVs, sound systems, DVD players and Blurays. The Sony we are looking for is Sony Computer Entertainment. This subsidiary have yet to comment on SOPA, acting like SEGA keeping quiet on this. Why should they say anything? When they have the ESA to do the dirty work?

Nintendo and EA did speak out and said, "I'm against it" but that's not enough. If they are against it, why are they making no effort what so ever about ESA and their actions towards SOPA? The reason why Nintendo and EA spoke out because they don't want gamers to think they are in it, and technically they aren't because "they said so" but that doesn't change the fact that they are members of the ESA and the group itself as a whole supports it fully.

These game companies know that if they support the SOPA and said so, gamers will stop buying their games and they don't want that because they will lose money. Do you really think they care about the freedom internet? They hardly get any money from 3rd party websites such as this!

If Sony Computer, SEGA, Nintendo, EA and even Microsoft don't support SOPA and are really against it, they would have spoken with the ESA and made it very clear to them that they don't support it, leave their names out of it or they are going to leave the group. Simple. Act like you care.

Like what Wikipedia did. Wikipedia's domains was with GoDaddy as Wikipedia trusted them and respected them. Then GoDaddy goes on and supports SOPA. Wikipedia was against it, and transferred their domains off GoDaddy. Their respect for them vanished.

GoDaddy later removed themselves off the supporters list only because many businesses and owners transferred their domains off GoDaddy, after seeing them support SOPA. GoDaddy still supports SOPA to this day.

GoDaddy made a very bad move adding themselves on that list and giving out the support. Imagine if Sony Computer Entertainment did the same thing. Yeah, prepare for the Vita sales to go low.

So that's what bothers me. Sorry for the long post SSMB'ers. smile.png

Edited by Edward
  • Thumbs Up 4

Sent emails to the companies involved in the ESA to express my disapproval of this utterly stupid piece of legislation that has been put forth. They need to know how badly it will hurt their reputation and profits due to their support of said legislation.

• Thumbs Up 1

Excellent post Edward. That's what I've been trying to say.

I would want to add though. Nintendo and EA stood up and said they are against it, but why should we believe them? Obviously one of the reasons is because they are part of the ESA but that's not it.

For EA, if you look at their history, all they care about is money. They hate piracy and used game sales and would do anything to combat them. That's why they added the online pass (which was first created by Ubisoft, who are in the ESA too no surprise) to try and eliminate piracy and used game sales. It affects the innocent ones by not allowing to use our second accounts to play online. Then recently they said that they won't release patches to their games outside their crappy app, Origin. Why? For piracy reasons. It affects the innocent ones who bought the standalone copies and the others by having to download Origin, which cannot even resume downloads.

I don't support piracy at all, but EA crosses the line with their rubbish, hurting these innocent players who spent $60 to go through this crap. And that's why I don't believe them that when they said they are against it. Not until they actually "do" some action.

Lastly Nintendo, wow. Just like EA they hate piracy and would do anything to eliminate it. I mean for goodness sake, they STILL region lock their OWN stuff! Absolutely no need to region lock their devices, unless they really care about money so much. It will be no surprise if Wii U has region protection on it too, no surprise. Nintendo hasn't done much yet because the Wii has poor piracy protection, but with Wii U, you'll see a lot and in future with the 3DS. You don't think they won't take any ideas from what Sony is doing to the Vita to combat piracy? If the 3DS is capable enough, they would do it.

All major game companies think the same, they want to eliminate piracy. With SOPA in action, it won't eliminate piracy for good but it will certainly DAMAGE the high number of piracy downloads. That's what they want.

Why the heck would they go against the SOPA? There is absolutely no reason too when they can be staring at $$$. ONLY the online companies (Google, Facebook, Wikipedia etc) are against it and it makes perfect sense because SOPA will DAMAGE these companies. You think Facebook would care about SOPA if it doesn't effect them?!

That's why I also believe Sega is secretly supporting the SOPA, but keeping their mouths shut. Edward explained why.

I don't know what to think right now. SEGA's making it worse by keeping quiet.

Trion Worlds and recently Epic Games have commented, when people were questioning them about where they stand on SOPA. They both said they don't support it.

Trion Worlds are actually going to contact The ESA about SOPA when they return from their holidays. So unlike Nintendo, EA and Epic Games, Trion will have a discussion with the ESA and find a way to get their names off this situation.

For Epic Games, they don't have a bad history like EA with hurting innocent players so it's easier to accept that they don't support it. The question is, do they care though? You can say you don't support it and you don't, but you are not contacting the ESA about this issue unlike Trion Worlds.

Imagine the ESA group members had a meeting. I'm Epic Games. I can disagree with Mike Gallagher (president of ESA) and make no contribution to the bill, but afterwards do nothing to help the public (or themselves for that matter) who hate this bill. Not really going to take a stand. You can see this as either not caring or just being lazy.

Game companies in the ESA know they have a shield. They can hide. They don't have to say or do anything and yet support SOPA. As I said before, if they are really against it (and I mean really), they will take a stand like what Trion Worlds is going to do.

Because if SOPA passes, the ESA are one of the groups to blame. It doesn't matter if you didn't support it in the first place, your company's name is there black and white showing in the end, you in some way supported it. Thousands of gamers who don't do their full research will think all those companies are behind it. It's going to damage your company. So if it's going to damage your company, why leave your name in the ESA?

What's hurting me the most is SEGA keeping quiet over this thing so far. I'm pretty sure the media and the members of their community asked them where they stand on this many times already since they are a big company. Do they really support this bill? Same thing with Sony Computer.

I want to say Microsoft as well but they are also part of the Business Software Alliance (BSA) who are against this bill. Basically they are in one group that is strongly supporting this bill, while they are in another group that is against this bill. So it's a win-win for them.

Edited by Edward

I think people are far too rapid in jumping onto the "Hatewagon".

Can you explain why? The reason why I'm not happy is because I want my freedom internet. I don't want to live the rest of my life browsing the internet censored. Maybe you do, but I don't. The companies that supports this rubbish want to take our freedom internet away because of "piracy" and looking for more ways to get money. We will become like China if this goes through.

Does anyone know when the final decision of SOPA will take place? I want this to end.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think people are far too rapid in jumping onto the "Hatewagon".

In a case like this it's obvious why people are though.. Unless you mean the "hate" people are giving developers and companies who support the Act.

All-in-all something of this "magnitude" should NOT go through and if anything this bill, act, or w/e needs all the hate we can muster

Dunno if this has been mentioned here, but tons of sites are talking about this

Google, Facebook, Twitter, Paypal, Yahoo, & Wikipedia have been considering a blackout over SOPA.

http://www.deathandt...e-a-good-thing/

Might be on the 23rd.

Edited by Nintendoga
  • Thumbs Up 4

If that's what it takes, then please do. Missing out on Facebook and google for a day isn't going to kill anyone.

• Thumbs Up 3

The way human psychology is, it's kind of a necessary thing too. We have a hard time processing future threats, especially ones we can't see coming (which is one reason Global Warming is denied by so many), so a proper demonstration is what is really needed to get some people to see why there's a lot of worry over this bill.

Edited by Hero Of Fate
  • Thumbs Up 3

If that's what it takes, then please do. Missing out on Facebook and google for a day isn't going to kill anyone.

I remember life before these services existed. We did fine.

• Thumbs Up 2

Hahaha! Look at Capcom's response:

"At Capcom, we're game makers, not legislators. We do not have an internal stance on this particular issue and are not planning to. We'll get back to making games. Thanks."

http://www.capcom-un...um=86#514635787

Blatant dodging. They are *definitely* supporting this bill. Sega's working on their response I heard (finally) so we'll hear from them soon.

• Thumbs Up 3

Capcom are impossibly benefitting from this bill when they've actively endorsed, financed and supported the fighting game scene with tournaments, gatherings and streams, particularly EVO, which is a scene that will collapse under the SOPA bill. They have no stake in this. At all.

I wonder, if TSS should contribute to this blackout day thing as well. Then maybe more of us will take this seriously. Because I'm serious, TSS will not be here next year (at least for Americans) if this goes through. It doesn't have to be Sega that will shoot the gun on this site. Viacom (who listed themselves as supporters) can visit this site, and if they see anything that is theirs they'll shoot. Viacom are very nasty guys. They're soooo nasty.

TSS isn't hosted on an American server. I'm not sure you're aware how this bill actually works.

TSS isn't hosted on an American server. I'm not sure you're aware how this bill actually works.

I didn't know TSS wasn't hosted on the American servers. But either way, at least the Americans will be blocked off.

No, they won't, because that's not how SOPA works.

Everyone's friendly neighborhood tech admin Bmn already explained it in the locked Skype/email thread a while back.

SOPA, if it takes effect, will only have a meaningful effect on services hosted in the US. TSS is hosted in France, and by a host that ignored pressure from the French government to cancel Wikileaks hosting at the start of the cables controversy.

While SOPA is certainly serious bidnis, it's unlikely to have much effect on TSS.

No, they won't, because that's not how SOPA works.

Everyone's friendly neighborhood tech admin Bmn already explained it in the locked Skype/email thread a while back.