Awoo.

Best/Worst Character Design

Soniman

Not too keen on Sonic's model on Wreck-it Ralph, it looks like his Sonic 06 model, I presume Walt Disney Animation Studios made it rather than Sega making it for them

sonic-cameo-wreck-it-ralph.png

spoiler tagged for large image

Sonic's right side is most facing the camera, but his mouth is on his left. tongue.png

Most probably this one has it's mouth in the center, but is skewing off due to 'dreamworks-face' but even that's supposed skew towards the 'camera side' - since Ralph's right side is facing, his expression is lopsided to the right.

(Also, Eggman's pose and expression are quite uncharacteristic. Not like I expect Disney to know.)

WIR_Poster_3.jpg

Edited by Mysterics

Most of the cast and extras from Sonic Underground. As much as I like the show, I gotta admit, they look like dA fan characters. Sleet and Dingo ftw.

Not too keen on Sonic's model on Wreck-it Ralph, it looks like his Sonic 06 model, I presume Walt Disney Animation Studios made it rather than Sega making it for them

spoiler tagged for large image

Sonic's right side is most facing the camera, but his mouth is on his left. tongue.png

Most probably this one has it's mouth in the center, but is skewing off due to 'dreamworks-face' but even that's supposed skew towards the 'camera side' - since Ralph's right side is facing, his expression is lopsided to the right.

(Also, Eggman's pose and expression are quite uncharacteristic. Not like I expect Disney to know.)

WIR_Poster_3.jpg

So guys, considering that Sonic is a licensed character that SEGA render in top quality CGI work all the time, I'm pretty certain it's the exact same model you see in all the games. Animation does a lot to make models look different.

• Thumbs Up 6

The irises/pupils lack highlights, the mouth looks odd and his thorax is too pushed-out in front of him. It looks...off to say the least.

His legs and torso are longer than usual.

That Sonic Underground topic reminded me of how much DiC fails when it comes to character design. Would you believe that the light blue guy in the middle is supposed to be a Hedgehog?

f5cent.png

Yep. A Hedgehog. Not even the main character being a Hedgehog was enough to make the animators design another Hedgehog character to look anything like him.

Edited by Vertekins

I love how Metal Sonic is SUPPOSED to be a blatant recolour but looks less like a blatant recolour than the other blatant recolours...

Out of curiosity, what does Dr. Eggman look like without those glorious pince-nez's? Has it EVER been revealed? Sonic 2 NA cover and '06 don't count...

I love how Metal Sonic is SUPPOSED to be a blatant recolour but looks less like a blatant recolour than the other blatant recolours...

I think that's the point. He isn't supposed to look like a typical robotic version doppelgänger ala Silver Sonic and Mecha Knuckles. He resembles Sonic, but none of their features really match up. It's a very clever design. Definitely one of the best in the series. Shadow is much more the recolour that's supposed to look like a recolour.

• Thumbs Up 1

Best design, Sonic Adventure artwork.

Worst... I don't really have a worst in my mind, they all look great to me. I'm mostly talking about the 2D artwork BTW. OOH my favs are the sonic battle style. Now THAT was some happening artwork. :D

If only they'd say the same of the 2006 game. sad.png

They should also decanonize Rivals, Rivals 2, Generations... Heck, they should declare every game with Silver non-canon.

They should also decanonize Rivals, Rivals 2, Generations... Heck, they should declare every game with Silver non-canon.

But, then Sonic Generations wouldn't be canon. D:

Rivals and Rivals 2 aren't canon though...

Metal Sonic has by far the coolest design of any Sonic robot. Mecha Sonic is great, but still he hasn't got a thing on Metal. And Silver Sonic?...No. Silver Sonic is incredibly uninteresting and banal design-wise.

Like Blue said, Metal Sonic's greatness design-wise comes from how distinctive he looks despite being based off of Sonic. He looks like he's pared-down for speed, the three "quills" giving a visage of streamlining in a way. The Jet-Turbine-Engine thing in his thorax is a clever aspect of his design because not only does it make Metal Sonic's ability more believable (Being able to go toe-to-toe with Sonic's speed), it's integrated into his design so well.

The combination of his black and red eyes, sharply pointed nose, blade-like fingers and lack of expression make him look evil and intimidating in a robotic manner and again, make him look very distinct from Sonic.

It's simply an awesome design through and through and a bonafide classic.

• Thumbs Up 6

Rivals and Rivals 2 aren't canon though...

Rivals is, Rivals 2...may or may not be. Although Silver not knowing a chameleon's main skill of changing colour in Mario and Sonic Wii may suggest that Sonic Team themselves aren't taking it to be.

Getting back to Metal Sonic, i really like how the character even in this day and age actually looks more like classic Sonic than like modern Sonic.

... which actually makes perfect sense from a "in-universe"-point of view if we accept the idea suggested by Generations as canon; namely that classic Sonic is the younger apperance of modern Sonic. So it can be interpreted that Eggman built Metal Sonic back when Sonic still had his young classic look, but then Sonic grew older and started to look different while Metal Sonic of course remained modeled after the younger Sonic.

Worst deigns:

1) Silver. Can anyone tell me why THIS sucker replaced Rouge in the Olympics, Smash Bros, etc? He looks like a freaking potleaf!

2) Eggman Nega. They were really scraping the bottom of the barrel for Blaze's nemesis. This dude's a recolor. He's actually worse than many fanmade ones. Why not bring back Fang? He's from another dimension.

Worst deigns:

1) Silver. Can anyone tell me why THIS sucker replaced Rouge in the Olympics, Smash Bros, etc? He looks like a freaking potleaf!

2) Eggman Nega. They were really scraping the bottom of the barrel for Blaze's nemesis. This dude's a recolor. He's actually worse than many fanmade ones. Why not bring back Fang? He's from another dimension.

You have to shoehorn Blaze & Rouge into everything, don't you?

• 2 weeks later...

One of the most unique is Storm. Too bad it had to go to waste on a guy who had the personality of a rock...

(he would be great as a full villain, though)