Awoo.

How to implement Genesis style gameplay in 3d?

Chaos Warp

It most definitely does not control best.

Well, I honestly think it controls better than SA2, with its spastic turning controls. Seriously, I find SA2's controls so goddamn twitchy, why can Sonic turn 90 degrees on a dime, without losing any speed at all? Generations smoother turning, made it feel a whole lot better to me.

Adventure two used somwhere between little to no momentum pinball mechanics.

Then put in ramps and curved surfaces.

Easier said than done. When you tweak with the level design you are really changing the game. They couldn't just be added in. Entire sections of levels probably would have to be re-done to make it work. Impossible? No. Worth it? I would say so.

@JayHawker

If you do all that, you end up with SA1, so why even bother with starting with SA2?

The best thing to do though, is to start with Generations' engine. Level design is really the biggest issue. So far, the Generations engine has the cleanest implementation of physics. It requires the least technical work, and only really needs slight modifications to it, in order to get it to work in a similar way to the Mega Drive games. Boost replaced with rolling/spindash, less rolling friction, lower acceleration, tightened low-speed control (if necessary) etc.

Other than that, it is mechanically sound.

In terms of level design, start with SA1 and go from there. SA1 had the most classic-ish level design of any 3D Sonic game (Heroes looked the most classic, but it had the worst level design)

• 9 years later...
On 9/4/2011 at 12:01 PM, Kuzu said:

Don't even know why bother with SA2, its levels are far too linear for a 3D Genesis game.

People greatly overstate hpe supposedly non linear the classics were. In fact, they only got more linear as the series went on.