Awoo.

What Video Game can you not stand?

TheNicollette30

Minecraft is another example. I don't really care to try it, it doesn't look like something that appeals to me, and I am really not fond of the mentality of "it too is the greatest thing since sliced bread and if you don't agree then you suck". I can respect the game for what it is, but its not for me. Unfortunately I have absolutely zero intention of trying it now.

Thank you sir or ma'am, you've expended me the effort to write out thoughts exactly identical to yours for this specific game.

Other then that, I guess CrossXEdge. It could have been a great if not fantastic game, but Compile Heart made it so hard even a masochist would have a hard time enjoying. The game had everything I wanted in a turn based rpg but in the end the way system worked made for a hair pulling experience I just couldn't work up the nerve to beat the final boss.

Now, I've never played a proper GTA game, so I don't know how credible my argument is here (although I do have Simpsons Hit & Run, which to my knowledge is a poor-man's clone of GTA anyway), but yeah, I can't say I'm big on the series.

Moral decency objections aside, if Simpsons Hit & Run is anything to go by in the slightest, I just found it massively dull and frustrating to the point where I didn't even finish it.

Also, whilst I love on-rails shooters, I generally don't get on well with any 'proper' FPS games. Not that I particularly have anything against them, I just find controlling a game in first-person to be weirdly detached and disorienting.

• 1 month later...

At this point, I absolutely despise those shovelware pet sims. Nintendogs does not count, as it actually has thought and effort put into it. No, I mean the ones that are constantly churned out by one single company. That means you, Ubisoft!

I also hate overdone, overhyped sequels. Every year we get a new Call of Duty. It's really just more of the same. I want some originality, innovation!

Metroid Other M, because I was anticipating it so much, but when I got it I was subject to bland gameplay, a practically nonexistent soundtrack, and possibly the most unlikeable storytelling in any video game ever. And it's not even the kind of over the top voice acting that's so bad it's fun, it's the kind that has no emotion and no reason for you to care. On top of that, it destroyed my opinion of the Metroid series as one of the few series with no bad games.

I also hate Kingdom Hearts. I rented it multiple times and found no reason for it to be fun or enjoyable in any way. It absolutely baffles me how many people love this game. The characters are awful (the Square characters I mean. I like Disney), the gameplay is boring and monotonous, and the mixture of franchises is just weird. Granted I never got past the first world because I had to take it back, but I could tell it wasn't going to grow on me because I hated the core gameplay mechanics. Good music though!

The Mario series.

Not because I'm a fan of the Sonic series its just because, well I really can't enjoy a single Mario game.

I don't like the style neither the music not to talk about the characters themselves.

I don't know why since I enjoy most of every platforming games from Sonic to Crash and LBP to Rayman.

I have played Super Mario 3, Super Mario World, Super Mario 64 and New Super Mario Bros and didn't enjoy any of those stoped playing them after a while.

Flame me how much you want, but this is true: I can't enjoy playing the king of Platformers.

• Thumbs Up 1

The Mario series.

Not because I'm a fan of the Sonic series its just because, well I really can't enjoy a single Mario game.

I don't like the style neither the music not to talk about the characters themselves.

I don't know why since I enjoy most of every platforming games from Sonic to Crash and LBP to Rayman.

I have played Super Mario 3, Super Mario World, Super Mario 64 and New Super Mario Bros and didn't enjoy any of those stoped playing them after a while.

Flame me how much you want, but this is true: I can't enjoy playing the king of Platformers.

I feel kinda similarly. For me, I just can't enjoy the old 2D ones. I love the first Super Mario Bros., I like Mario Bros. (the original), but outside of that I just can't get into it. Now, I do really like the 3D games (I'll go on the record to say I think Galaxy 2 is near-perfection, every time I play it I have a huge grin on my face), but most of the 2D ones just don't click with me. I try to enjoy them, but...I just can't.

Now, I'm not bashing FPSs, but I legitimately don't understand where this comes from:

I like how nobody's complaints about Call of Duty go beyond "Its the same shit every year" but we're perfectely fine with games like Skyward Sword and Super Mario 3DS land.

Sure, I'd understand if the forum consisted of people who don't usually play platformers or adventure games, but this is a Sonic forum, so you'd think people would know that most platformer sequels are far more different to each other than most FPS sequels are.

In my opinion, for example, I think Mario Galaxy 2 is to Mario Galaxy 1 as Sonic Generations is to Sonic Unleashed.

Edited by Unknownlight

Comparing Modern Warfare 3 to the Zelda series and Mario series. Heh, that's funny. Anyway, I'd have to parrot others and say that's what I can't stand. The Call of Duty series has gotten so damn old.

Well...

For one, I downright hate cheap movie-based cash-ins. There's nothing to them. And it's usually the same companies that churn these out. I won't deny that SOME movie-based video games are good, but the vast majority heavily enforce that stereotype. They're broken, they're pointless, too easy, very little positive reception from everyone, and basically duping the younger gaming audience. If they'd actually put more effort into making them, I wouldn't have such a huge problem with it.

That, and I agree with a lot of people on FPS games. When they don't come out AS often. Not that I'm saying that they're shit or anything, but when you keep seeing a new CoD every year or some other eerily similar game, the creativity lacks.

Edited by VizardJeffhog

At the risk of sounding like a bandwagoner, Call of Duty, though I did enjoy World at War for the Wii and CoD4 on PS3. I guess I got turned off by the series after I played the free weekend of MW2 on Steam. The multiplayer was a mess and I'm still not too keen on the idea of killstreak rewards(Who's bright idea was it to include a game ending nuke aka the "I win button"?) and some of the perks seem downright broken(One Man Army + Noob tube + Danger Close = equals a world of pain. And then there's commando...). That's not to say I hate FPSes as a whole because I enjoy MAG, TF2, and Bad Company 1&2.

I'm also indifferent towards open world sandbox games except for Spider-Man and inFamous. I guess it's because I find the idea of saving innocent people more appealing than randomly killing them.

I have nothing against any video game series, though I will simply say any people who paint all modern shooters with the 'boring /brown/realistic' brush have no idea what they're talking about. And I do not appreciate the sniping aimed at people who actually like games set in the real world, or a world that similar to ours.

Now I won't pretend the CoD series currently has some major problems. It's not my favorite series. But complaining that CoD is realistic...seriously? A game where WW3 happens with a snap of your fingers, among many other things, is considered realistic? 'Oh the series take place on Earth so it's definitely realistic!' There're just action movies in video game form. Why don't people complain about realism in his movies then? If these people saw videos of Operation Flashpoint or ArmA, their heads would explode.

And ironically MW2 wasn't even actually that brown. The Brazil levels were quite colorful.

I will agree with the complaints of stagnation and lack of originality of the series, and for some other forgettable FPSes too. But I question Sonic Team has any more of the latter.

At the risk of causing controversy I dare say many platformer fans seem to be incredibly defensive when it comes to comparing their favorite games to shooters. But that's because this is the internet, I suppose.

Edited by Exploder
  • Thumbs Up 1

I admit that when CoD4 first came out, I loved it. I thought it was a fantastic shooter, and part of me says it still is.

I don't hate the CoD series. I only the hate the INFLUENCE on the gaming industry that it has made over the last few years. Now a majority of action games are trying to be brutally realistic. But I play games to do things that would never happen in real life. I'm not saying CoD is a very likely story in the real world, but most of it is possible, while the games I enjoy more have things like monsters and time travel, which would never happen in our world.

I still like shooters. Doom is one of my favorite games ever (not because of nostalgia, either - I played it first like 3 or 4 years ago) because it is a very fun gameplay style in a very cool setting: Mars, and then Hell. CoD is fun, but it's a big reason many games lack originality now.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 9 months later...

While this is a game that I like, Majora's Mask has one thing that keeps me from playing it. The horrid save system.

Unlike other Zelda games where you can pause the game and save it, here you have two ways to save. The first is by going to an owl statue, hit it, and it'll ask to save where you're at. However, you can't turn the game off and go back to that spot. NO! Instead, you have to leave the game on. Turning it off will return you to Clock Town, from the last time you played the Song of Time. Playing the Song of Time, while saves any progress you've made like getting a new weapon, or clearing a dungeon, makes you lose all the money, ammo, etc you've collected. It's inconvient, and I hate the idea about it. I've only beaten one dungeon, and I need to get back to it

Basically what Verte said. Except I don't think every FPS falls into that trap (Hello TF2), and the ones that do I don't hate, just hate the "OMG BEST GAME EVER/ONLY GAME THAT EXITS/HOW CAN YOU NOT LIKE THIS NOOB" bandwagon that stupid fans jump on.

• Thumbs Up 1

Basically what Verte said. Except I don't think every FPS falls into that trap (Hello TF2), and the ones that do I don't hate, just hate the "OMG BEST GAME EVER/ONLY GAME THAT EXITS/HOW CAN YOU NOT LIKE THIS NOOB" bandwagon that stupid fans jump on.

Pretty much this. I can't stand the people that play online in these games. I won't lie, it's fun, but having to hear all the yelling, screaming 10 year olds who shouldn't even be playing the game, or fanboys who keep saying how it's the best game ever, just irritates me. The single player is shallow, and the multiplayer is the one thing that keeps the games popular. COD isn't a series I hate, but I can't stand it.

Sonic 06. Can't stand it. Barring the soundtrack there isn't a single redeeming thing about that game. I find it truly mind blowing how people could possibly think it's a good game by any stretch of the imagination. It just isn't. Nothing about it is well designed. Nothing about it is well thought through. Nothing about it is well presented. It lacks any real soul, any real passion. You put it side by side to a game like Unleashed and you can see the love that was poured into Unleashed by the people that worked on it. 06 has nothing. And as a result this game makes me unhappy and angry to play it.

Those are the games that I really can't stand at all. Ones that I have no fun playing. A game can be bad but I can still have fun with it. I can have fun playing any FPS with a group of friends, or most of the so called "bad" Sonic games like Secret Rings and Black Knight, because there are things in these games that I can at least enjoy (in the case of those Storybook titles for example, I can at least appreciate stuff like the wonderful art style, the character relationships, the soundtracks and the unique level tropes). 06 is one of the few games that I have no fun playing. At all.

Psst, to the people before in this thread who can't stand FPS's because of the (rare) screaming kids, here's something that might work. It's a very unorthodox method, and I'm not too keen on how many seconds it takes to reach it, but I find this complex method very successful.

Pause>Options>Audio> "Mute Voices"

Games I can't stand huh?

Well I don't hate them, but I can't get into them, and that's the 2D Zelda series.

Tried LoZ, and while I do love games that throw you into an open-world with no instructions or linearity, this game took it too far. I hated the controls and the random difficulty so I just quit. Link to the Past was much better in terms of controls and well everything that the first game failed to do. But I could not get myself into it. I bought it off the VC 2 years ago and only got as far as Hyrule Castle (The second time where it's an actual dungeon, not the first 5 minutes laugh.png) before I got bored with the game and just left it there. Minish Cap was the same way, got bored after the first dunegon, and same happened with Link's Awakening. I never played the Oracle Games, though I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like those either.

There's only one 2D Zelda I actually love and that's Zelda 2. The main reason why I love it is because it's the only different 2D game. And while the difficulty gets unfair at times, I still love trudging through the overworld or going into Temples and getting my ass kicked. A Challenging but satisfying game.

I can't stand the Wario Land Series, or more so can't get into them. I hear everyone say Wario Land is a great platformer/action game but I just don't see it. I tried Wario Land 4 and Wario Land 1 and just don't like them. Besides running through a stage and punching stuff, the design and levels of the game just put me off. I wanna get into the series, but I guess it won't ever be.

Oh yeah speaking of Zelda, a game I cannot stand Skyward Sword. I already wrote this long-ass post on why I hate it, but that was before I went back to it last month. I tried to get into it again, and I just couldn't. The gameplay felt repetitive and monotonous, the controls sometimes worked, other times it felt finicky, and the story was just so god dang boring. Also with the ugly graphics ( yeah I know, a Wii game having bad graphics? The art style I didn't mind, but the textures and models of the game just looked so horrible.) I can't stand this game. I do appreciate how they tried to mix things up, and how the enemies actually try fight back now, but all in all I still hate the game.

And Other M, I can't forget you now can I? You were my most anticipated game (next to Halo Reach) of 2010, and I thought this was going to be another one of those revolutionary jumps into 3D that Mario and Zelda had accomplished (Yes the Prime games did them already, but Other M looked to be more of the classic Metroid formula). How ignorant I was when I ignored the mixed reviews and all the hate from fans. "They don't know what they're talking about" I said as I put the game in my Wii system, ready to escape into an epic adventure. How wrong I was.

The Story, Sakamoto, you are not Kojima, don't you ever try to attempt a deep, emotional, story in a Metroid game ever again. And don't you dare get insulted when fans state that the Prime games were clearly a thousand times better then this, and then announce that the Prime games aren't cannon. It was a horrible story that not only succeeded in making Samus seem like a lost child that needed men to tell her what to do, but the plot holes and unnecessary plot devices, make me cringe whenever I think of them. Gameplay is just mediocre, with consisting of "Shoot, dodge, shoot, dodge" and if you have never played Other M, here's what buttons you pressed during that "Hold 2, Press left on control pad". the controls were shit to, the Wii Remote for a 3D game? Not being able to move when in FPS mode? UGH! What a disappointing and horrible game that has too many things wrong with it. I can only hope that the next Metroid is better.

Samus- "I looked at the message stationed in the middle of my computer screen.

Thoughts began wondering through my head, why did this Nitnendoga put it upon himself to belittle me and my game? Why were others not able to see how un-energetic my voice is? Why am I reading this like I'm reading a 10% off Ham sales sign in a Grocery Store?

Feeling welled up inside of me. If I were truly to have emotions why couldn't I cry? The only time I felt like this was when Adam authorized me towards my first mission. Bold, Diligent, Determined, he enforced that finger in my direction while telling me about my mission status. These feelings were coming back to me, as I realized he was gone. There was no-one to act cruel towards me, no one to statically order me around, something that only a strong independent woman would be happy about.

But not me. I put my hand to my chest, hearing my beats. BEAT.....BEAT.....BEAT.........BEAT. Water formed within my eyes as I suddenly saw what I truly was. He was like another mother to me. An Other M of some sorts. And as an Other M he felt the need to write me up as not only the child in his life, but as

The Baby."

• Thumbs Up 1

For me, two series, which are sorta related...

Final Fantasy series:

Over-hyped RPG There's literally no fun in it personally, I find the characters terrible and I can't keep up with the constant change in location/period/characters.

Kingdom Hearts series:

A dirty stain on the fabric of magic, literally pairing awfully designed characters next to my childhood, If it was just a Disney action/RPG game, I'd be up for that but this just doesn't interest me and I really don't know whats more over-hyped, this or Final Fantasy, personally I've played better bargain bin games.

• Thumbs Up 4

I like KH, but I agree, the games would be way better if they had Mickey as the protagonist. Also if they didn't have any of the DARKNESS HEARTS FRIENDSHIP NOBODIES shit that makes me not care about the plot past the first game at all.

Edited by Ekaje
  • Thumbs Up 2

Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World.

Fuck this game. What a piece of half-assed cash-in horseshit.

1. *Spoilers*

Everything you worked for in the first game means nothing in this game. You fought against Yggdrasil saying that the world won't go to war again because people can change. What happens in the sequal? THEY GO TO FUCKING WAR. You fought against him to restore mana to the world as well. What happens at the end of DotNW? RATATOSK FUCKING SAYS HE'S GOING TO RID THE WORLD OF THE NEED OF MANA.

Edited by Solkia-kun

Call of Duty, Modern Warfare 2.

Now I know what your thinking, no, I do not hate the Call of Duty series. I actually think it can be pretty fun sometimes, and I do get enjoyment from the series as a whole, and Ironically enough, I had a great time playing MW3, which is the exact same game engine as MW2. I just hate how MW2 was handled. I despise the Campaign, with the only mission I like being the Gulag, I hate the Spec Ops, and I don't care for the MP. To much bullshit happens in this game for me to enjoy any of the good aspects.

And the Takedown mission...

I hate that level so fucking much. All of my hate Takedown. ALL OF IT.