Awoo.

...Do you think Sonic's an 'Aussie'?

midori

Marine is probably the closest we'll get to an australian Sonic character (Blaze in free riders did have a bit of an aussie accent in one of her lines though)

Just imagine the Chaos Dimension as America, and the Sol Dimension as Australia

I'm not so sure about this. I had the impression that originally Sonic was meant to appeal to both Japan and US (let's ignore the rest of the world for now) and switched to target USA later on when it turned out he didn't sell well in Japan anyway. If he was meant to appeal to Japanese more, he'd be much cuter, have much less attitude (unless he was a tsundere or a generic anti-hero) and everything would be more crazy-colorful with tons of cute high school girls with short skirts (he could be turned into one himself).

I think Sonic's being a hedgehog greatly decreases his appeal. If the whole cast was turned into a bunch of lolis with generic anime personalities, I'm sure he'd be more popular in Japan.

I really have to make a webcomic like this.

I didn't say he was aimed at the Japanese demographic compleatly. I was just saying that everything that I knew of him before it went compleatly USA (See: Amy in American Flag Dress) was Japanese like: Eatting Ramen noodles, partaking in Japanese ceremonies,depicted in Japanese settings, I just assumed that this was his nationality.

Maybe he just transcends everything earthly and like was said before he's of his own world: a mobian. As people we are just mentally limited to putting labels on things because our human minds need to link them to something familiar, grounding something that is pretty much unlimited.

I mean where else are you going to see checker board dirt, giant theme parks that stretch for miles, flying islands, and talking technicolor wild life?

Edited by BlueSonikku

That's not a hedgehog mate. Now this is a hedgehog. :P

I highly doubt Sonic is an "Aussie" since he wouldn't be so afraid of water if he was. After all Australia is surrounded by water and filled with lots of "friendly" wildlife so its not really a possibility. :P

I'm not so sure about this. I had the impression that originally Sonic was meant to appeal to both Japan and US (let's ignore the rest of the world for now) and switched to target USA later on when it turned out he didn't sell well in Japan anyway. If he was meant to appeal to Japanese more, he'd be much cuter, have much less attitude (unless he was a tsundere or a generic anti-hero) and everything would be more crazy-colorful with tons of cute high school girls with short skirts (he could be turned into one himself).

I think Sonic's being a hedgehog greatly decreases his appeal. If the whole cast was turned into a bunch of lolis with generic anime personalities, I'm sure he'd be more popular in Japan.

This is why I hate most anime.

Oh ha ha ha, this topic.

Firstly as an Aussie there's a few things I need to clear up.

One, we do not eat hedgehogs. We don't even have hedgehogs! Hedgehog slice is actually a snack made of a crumbly, cakey chocolate stuff, filled with walnuts and then coated on the top with chocolate. Don't ask me why it's called "hedgehog slice", no one knows. It is however, delicious.

Secondly, it is interesting that Christmas Island is Australian and that the nearby country New Zealand has a major island called South Island. However Christmas Island and South Island are not as close as you would think. Australia has another country closer to it (Papua New Guinea) than Christmas Island is. Christmas Island falls under Australian rule but it is actually closest to Indonesia. Secondly Christmas Island and South Island are on completely opposite directions of the Australian landmass. Christmas Island is in the Indian Ocean, North West of Australia, New Zealand is in the South Pacific Ocean, South East of Australia, So they're actually quite a way away from each other.

Ofcourse Australia has sometimes been called the Southern Island so maybe that's where they got the name from? I dunno seems all very coincidental to me. Then again Australia and New Guinea are the only ones with echidnas.

Bi lingu al. Learn to spell.

Also, since you gave no arguments to support your opinion, your opinion is invalid. tongue.gif But if I had to choose, I'd rather like him as a bilingual Japanese. Junichi Kanemaru can speak English very well for a Japanese. He could voice Sonic in English versions of the games. And sing the theme songs. And I wouldn't dare to complain about anything in a game that featured so much of his voice. laugh.gif

I would his engrish is anoying he's just as bad as Jaleel White

Mario and Kirby are totally not liked in Japan, right ?

Sonic isn't an anime series. Your argument is invalid.

:D Sonic's a cross between an American and an Australian: A CANADIAN!

HIS SHOES, MAN. HIS SHOES.

</totally helping>

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic's voiced by an Aussie in the OVA. Martin Burke is Irish, never mind.

And Green Hill Zone is based off of New Zealand.

There's also a lodge in New Zealand called the Greenhill Lodge.

South Island is also close to New Zealand.

Guess where those are located?

Australia.

map.jpg

When I typed in "Australian Hedgehog" in Google search to see if they had any hedgehogs native there, well...

9sv0rd.jpg

...I really don't blame Sonic for disassociating himself from "Down Unda."

Edited by Azure P

Marine is the one and only true Aussie around game-wise, if that isn't already obvious from the getgo, heck her island home is also home to many Koala Bear folk.

Archie-comic wise, their are plenty more aussies, all mainly hailing from the Austrailian theme continent of Downunda And also mostly animals found in Austrailia (Barby Koala, Wombat Stew, Thrash the Tasmanian Devil, etc)

I view Sonic as like SNK's Terry Bogard and Capcom's Ken Masters,all characters made in Japan, but are kinda based around your straight up cool, fun loving, easy going American dude.

Oh ha ha ha, this topic.

Firstly as an Aussie there's a few things I need to clear up.

One, we do not eat hedgehogs. We don't even have hedgehogs! Hedgehog slice is actually a snack made of a crumbly, cakey chocolate stuff, filled with walnuts and then coated on the top with chocolate. Don't ask me why it's called "hedgehog slice", no one knows. It is however, delicious.

Edited by Rally the Cheetah

Do you think Sonic's an 'Aussie'?

Yes.

SonicOperaHouseMug.png

4auspins.jpg

That mug's not mine, by the way. John Kahler sent me the picture. I love Sega World...

Actually, since Sonic as a character was a collaboration between SOA and SOJ, I like to think of him as a Japanese-American.

Edited by SonikkuForever

By the way culinary hedgehogs, there's a rather popular recipe for a hedgehog in Poland too laugh.gif And it's delicious!

img_1605_f8lmj.jpg

Wait, Sonic was born on Christmas Island? He probably left because of all the refugee's invading his areas *ba-dum-tish!*

But yeah, somehow I doubt Sonic is Australian. It's not like he's ever spoken with an accent (CROIKEY DINGO), or acknowledged the country in the game or comic continuity. It would be a good plot twist though, as you've said.

Edited by SHAX Hedgefox

• 1 year later...

As someone who was born an aussie and lived in the Northern territories for some time i actually just thought everyone came to that conclusion.  i mean think about it.

-Sonic was born on Christmas Island  (A small island closest to Perth I have visited a few times and where ironicly where one of my closest friends first son was born)

-There are a few other christmas islands but since Sonic's creators are Japanese and reside near the south Pacific it can be reasoned that this is the Christmas Island they are referring to.

-Hedgehogs do reside on New Zealand and they might exist on Christmas island as well.

-The name of the island in the first and second games is south island. (South island New Zealand)

-The tropical plant life, waterfalls and steep terrain closely rembles New Zealand.

-Tails is a red fox which although not native to the south pacific were introduced by the britts in the early years.

-Echidnas like Knuckles are aussies and live nowhere else.

Edited by jordanthewarden

Red, white and blue is a cliche color. It's not American at all.

It is the color of:

-Britain

-France

-Russia

-Netherlands

-And many more, including the aforementioned USA.

It's a popular color due to what they represent. The Blue color was chosen due to its representing peace. I personally like blue more as the color of the ocean, calm and gentle, yet easily capable of being ferocious if provoked.

===

His nationality, I think, is overwhelmingly either British or American depending on which continuity you're in. Doesn't he even copy some American mannerisms and such in the Japanese versions of stuff?

Though really, I think overall, he's clearly Anglo-cultured. That being a catch all for British, American, Canadian, Australian, and other areas that are the result from extensive English settlement.

==

Sonic being Australian has its perks though. Means he can be friends Crash and Ty, and my dream crossover could be realised. :P

Edited by Ogilvie Maurice

Haha man, so many misconceptions about Aussies in this topic! I was born in New Zealand but have lived in Australia for the past 15 years. 

Also, off topic, if anyone has seen the movie Django Unchained yet, there's a pretty bad impersonation of an Aussie near the end. It was painful to watch lol.