Awoo.

Sally Acorn a official Sega character?

Unknown User

The US manuals actually gave the Small Animals the names of their spin-off counterparts? Pics or it didn't happen.

You said this:

the squirrel is Sally Acorn, as it says on the manuals, books authored by SEGA, everywhere.
Edited by Nepenthe

You know, if SatAM Sally was Ricky pre-1999, explain why the developers of Sonic Mars tried to integrate her and the other FFs into the game canon? If they were one and the same, surely that distinction wouldn't have existed even back then.

OK, now that I re-read them, they don't name the animals on the manuals. You must remember I never had these manuals, and often mistake them with the SEGA documents.

Replace the manuals with SEGA's merchandise, then, like the Stay Sonic book.

VEDJ-F - Because SatAM Sally wasn't Ricky. Sally Acorn was Ricky. Sally Acorn, as shown on that crappily-done chart I did, evolved to SatAM Sally which was different enough to require reintegration. But notice how they were integrating her- simply adding her. "she was always here". They didn't consider her, or the SAtAM elements, that distinguished form the games'- they just wanted to make something more obviously connected to it.

So have we finally come to the conclusion that Sally doesn't have anything to do with the games and that she and Ricky are two completely different characters? Only I've not seen anything so far that says that she does.

OK, now that I re-read them, they don't name the animals on the manuals. You must remember I never had these manuals, and often mistake them with the SEGA documents.

Replace the manuals with SEGA's merchandise, then, like the Stay Sonic book.

• Thumbs Up 1

So have we finally come to the conclusion that Sally doesn't have anything to do with the games? Only I've not seen anything so far that says that she does.

True. She is, however, canon, copyrighted, and completely a SEGA concept, and up until Sonic Adventure yes, she was a part of the game world, no matter how tacked on it was.

@Hogfather- I don't see how it can be misleading. I forgot to add an image I found later of Sally in the SatAM storyboards, but other than that you'll find no lie in there, and the only assumption is on some of the dates. Ricky WAS Sally Acorn in the West, and there's no arguing that.

@Julian- ... Did you get the image from a couple of pages back, or is that thing circulating the internet? because if it is, I wannt make something better looking tongue.gif

Lol, oops, did not know it was already posted, just was in a little bit of a rush. Sorry lol. And I agree with everything you said too Hogfather. I just dont get why people dont want Sally to be part of the Sonic Series even if she already is. There's something up with those type of fans, maybe its the love for the Japanese canon, and going by how some people up at SEGA of Japan hates the Western canon. hmmm

Edited by Blue Blood

I frankly don't understand why some American canon fans have this strange habit of describing disdain either the games' canon, the people involved, or Japanese culture in general while simultaneously wishing in the same rant that characters and other elements of the American canon were a part of the story they don't seem to care for in the first place.

• Thumbs Up 1

Maybe because we simply don't like her character or the old Western storyline (on which Archie is based) in general?

I could just as easily say I don't get why anyone does want her to be part of the series.

I dont get why you people even like the Japanese canon at all!

EDIT: That's weird, I didn't type that...

Edited by Ishtar

And I don't get why you like the Western story so much, especially considering it's poorly defined and most people's conception of it is polluted by other media.

But who likes what and why doesn't matter. Sally, that is, Princess Sally Acorn, leader of the Freedom Fighters, simply does not exist in the game universe.

Um yes she is part of the so called "game universe" (fyi there is not such thing as a term called game universe, its just the Sonic series as a whole), she was in the classic games as her classic form, in Sonic Spinball, and was going to be in all those American Sonic games STI was going to make.

Um yes she is part of the so called "game universe" (fyi there is not such thing as a term called game universe, its just the Sonic series as a whole), she was in the classic games as her classic form, in Sonic Spinball, and was going to be in all those American Sonic games STI was going to make.

There's the game universe and there's the Archie universe, It goes without saying Sally is apart of the series, but in a completely different continuity, which is a spin off continuity from the main one(The games). Sally doesn't have a classic form, Ricky is NOT Sally, Sally is BASED off of Ricky, being based off of something is completely different from being the same.

Mega Man X is based off the original Mega Man, but still a completely different character, the same applies to Sally and Ricky.

I dont get why you people even like the Japanese canon at all!

Yeah we get it... you don't like Japan, we kinda figured that out since you've said it in just about all your posts so far.

Sally is not part of the game universe regardless as to what fandom you're apart of.

she was in the classic games as her classic form,

Ricky is not Sally... Why is this so hard to understand?

Look I gots a picture one!

tiny_animals.gif

And if we zoom in and translate those names...

tiny_animals_translated.jpg

Not Sally.

Look. This is Ricky Martin.

His name is Ricky. But he's singing about Maria, that doesn't mean in Spain he's called Maria, or that he's apart of the Sonic games.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm just going to pop back in here to ask politely that this doesn't turn in to a Western canon/media vs Japanese canon/media thread. This thread is about Sally's relationship to the game universe and has nothing to do with any argument beyond that.

Um yes she is part of the so called "game universe" (fyi there is not such thing as a term called game universe, its just the Sonic series as a whole),
If you think the world of the comics (or of SatAM) is the same as the world of the games, you really aren't paying attention. They're so different that, if you swapped the shared characters/objects for new designs/names, and showed them to someone who had never seen either, they'd never believe they came from the same source.

she was in the classic games as her classic form,
Even if I were to buy that a character called "Sally Acorn" existed, the little squirrel that you save from robots is so different from the character in SatAM and Archie that there's no rational way they can be considered the same character. Sally of the comics/show branched off from that original design and became her own thing, with no relation to her original form besides name and species.

in Sonic Spinball,
Not canon.

and was going to be in all those American Sonic games STI was going to make.
Games that never happened don't count. If those games had been made, maybe Sally would have existed and continued to exist in the games. But they weren't, she didn't, and she doesn't.
  • Thumbs Up 4

Oh come on, the moment you need to specify Spinball doesn't count the discussion can't go on.
Edited by Tornado

Am I the only one who gets the impression that the absolutely unbelievable and misguided insistence that Sally Acorn is a character that exists in the games is a means of assuring themselves that Sally is more important than she actually is? All Sally Acorn is is an Archie and SatAM character. She has never existed in the games in any way, shape or form. She has never been acknowledged by the real creators of Sonic. SHE IS NOT RICKY. RICKY IS NOT HER. Spinball doesn't count as it is not canon, so Sally has never existed in the games continuity and in all likelihood, never will.

Good thing too. The games give precedence to multiple characters who contrast with Sonic nicely. Unlike SatAM and Archie. Where "Perfect Princess" Sally Acorn is the only character Sonic needs to be complete because "His character can be written in a napkin"

• Thumbs Up 7

Yeah we get it... you don't like Japan, we kinda figured that out since you've said it in just about all your posts so far.

Sally is not part of the game universe regardless as to what fandom you're apart of.

Ricky is not Sally... Why is this so hard to understand?

Look I gots a picture one!

tiny_animals.gif

And if we zoom in and translate those names...

tiny_animals_translated.jpg

Not Sally.

Look. This is Ricky Martin.

His name is Ricky. But he's singing about Maria, that doesn't mean in Spain he's called Maria, or that he's apart of the Sonic games.

Even though that's not valid I just liked the comment because I thought it was rather funny.

• Thumbs Up 1

Am I the only one who gets the impression that the absolutely unbelievable and misguided insistence that Sally Acorn is a character that exists in the games is a means of assuring themselves that Sally is more important than she actually is? All Sally Acorn is is an Archie and SatAM character. She has never existed in the games in any way, shape or form. She has never been acknowledged by the real creators of Sonic. SHE IS NOT RICKY. RICKY IS NOT HER. Spinball doesn't count as it is not canon, so Sally has never existed in the games continuity and in all likelihood, never will.

Good thing too. The games give precedence to multiple characters who contrast with Sonic nicely. Unlike SatAM and Archie. Where "Perfect Princess" Sally Acorn is the only character Sonic needs to be complete because "His character can be written in a napkin"

I've been saying this for months.

Thank ya, kindly.

Am I the only one who gets the impression that the absolutely unbelievable and misguided insistence that Sally Acorn is a character that exists in the games is a means of assuring themselves that Sally is more important than she actually is?

I, for one, don't see why it's necessary for you to be so completely and utterly dickish about this character. "More important than she actually is"? Who gave you the call to just completely slag on a character for no real reason and add nothing to the topic by doing so? character "importance", if it even exists, is completely and totally irrelevant to the subject at hand, which is a simple canon status.

• Thumbs Up 2

I, for one, don't see why it's necessary for you to be so completely and utterly dickish about this character. "More important than she actually is"? Who gave you the call to just completely slag on a character for no real reason and add nothing to the topic by doing so? character "importance", if it even exists, is completely and totally irrelevant to the subject at hand, which is a simple canon status.

I think what Verte was trying to say is that people want Sally to be a more important character to the entire franchise than she actually is. In reality, she's one of the key and most important characters in the Archie comics. Elsewhere, she's nothing.

• Thumbs Up 3