Awoo.

PS3 slim $299/

Random Rhyme

Features will be the same as existing models. It'll include a 120GB hard drive. and will be 32 percent smaller and 36 percent lighter. And it will use 34 percent less power!

PS3 Slim

slim_ps3.jpg

d8e33901-d8ac-4f92-9849-f5c76af4fec1_400.jpg

9443cc6d-3e6e-4ae3-bdb4-6e44714cfcd1_400.jpg

PS3 Firmware 3.0

NewFirmware.jpg

Video

* What’s New” – The “Information Board” will be replaced with a “What’s New” section, which allows you to enjoy interactive PlayStation news every time you start the PS3 system. Located under the PlayStation Network icon, “What’s New” displays the latest and greatest game, video, PlayStation Network and PlayStation news and releases, as well as your recently played games, in a sleek, new animated format.

* Status Indicator – In the top right corner we’ve added an indicator bar, which displays your user icon, friend icon, the number of friends you have online and a small message icon to let you know if you have any new messages. The indicator also includes a scrolling ticker that features the latest news from PlayStation Network. In addition, when you press the PS button, the battery life indicator will no longer cover up the clock.

* Friends List – Now your PlayStation Network friends will appear in a slightly redesigned format on your Friends List. Also, messages will now be viewable from each of your friends’ respective profiles.

* PlayStation Store Shortcuts – We’ve added a handy shortcut icon to the PlayStation Store under both the Game and Video categories so you can access the latest content quickly and easily.

* Personalization – Personalize your PS3 with new dynamic custom themes and avatars. Dynamic themes as well as free and premium avatars will be available through PlayStation Store. A dynamic theme takes your screen to a whole new level as it incorporates animated objects into the background.

* Trophies – Showcasing your hard earned trophies just got better. Update 3.00 gives game developers the ability to modify how they display trophies for add-on content. Base and add-on game trophies will continue to be combined into a single list so you can see where you stand in a game as a whole. Within that list, trophies will be broken out into subcategories—base trophies and add-on trophies—that way, you can easily view the percentage of your base game trophy collection, and separately track your trophy progress in add-on packs. Look for this enhancement to be included in upcoming games.

Edited by Shade737

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ShadiWulf

• Tornado

• Dazz

• SuperLink

Ugh. That is one ugly PS3. *hugs older PS3*

The price drop though will hopefully move some consoles for people on the fence! $300 smackers for both the newer and older versions is excellent. The firmware is a nice addition. Though it isn't the same as cross game chat or some of the other features on Live, so it isn't really anything new if you're used to the 360.

So with the Elite/PS3 dropping to $300 and the Wii is at $250, I foresee quite a Christmas battle about to ensue.

It looks like cheap scratchy plastic, same as the original PS2. Going back in time, just like Sony are with the UK layout of their boxart. :P

Edited by Major Ziggy

I'm sorry but the unit looks fake, Link to Sony announcement please.

Edit: found, dear lord their design team has gone downhill.

It looks like cheap scratchy plastic, same as the original PS2. Going back in time, just like Sony are with the UK layout of their boxart. :P

Well, considering that Sony ruled the last console generation with the PS2 and are currently at the back of the pack in the current generation, is it really all that surprising that they're (apparently) taking some steps backwards?

I mean they've clearly slipped up somewhere seeing as they went from market leader to having the poorest sales. In which case retracing their steps seems like a fairly logical move, if you ask me.

I'm sorry but the unit looks fake, Link to Sony announcement please.

Edit: found, dear lord their design team has gone downhill.

Lol yeah I got to I agree there but at the same time it does look somewhat pretty in it's own way if I put it that way. And since you will either way glare at you're TV(24 7) and not on the console so it will not be a problem, but I do still agree that it definitely could have done something alot more better than that.

Edit: Plus it's looks allot more convenient compared to the original ps3(obviously enough) and the 360(ugh the 360 would definitely need a serious redesign just like the ps3 XP)

Edited by Tailer

Well, considering that Sony ruled the last console generation with the PS2 and are currently at the back of the pack in the current generation, is it really all that surprising that they're (apparently) taking some steps backwards?

I mean they've clearly slipped up somewhere seeing as they went from market leader to having the poorest sales. In which case retracing their steps seems like a fairly logical move, if you ask me.

Haha yeah. Sony ruled the last generation by having scratchy plastic on the originals case. :lol:

I have no problem at all with this new models design. It looks a little like the PS2 which with all those PS2 owners should attract them to the PS3. Hopefully this price cut will stop all the bitching and gain the PS3 some respect and help sales catch up with the Xbox 360 and Wii. All the new features are awesome too and FINALLY the controller battery icon isn't in front of the clock when you press the PS button. YAYZ!! :D

Hmmm... Maybe I will buy a PS3 now. Its like a 100 dollars cheaper and it consumes alot less room and energy. Hell if I dont find any good games, the Ps3 will still make one hell of a blue-ray player :P

I still think it's too expensive >.> but that's just me, we've got a Wii and 360 already so the only thing I would want on PS3 is Little Big Planet. I'll just wait a bit longer I guess.

Edited by Mollfie

Haha yeah. Sony ruled the last generation by having scratchy plastic on the originals case. :lol:

Didn't you know? That's why everyone bought PS2's. =D

Well... I didn't. But still!

Everyone who wants one no longer has an excuse, $299 is a fair price and just $50 more than a wii. I hate that I spent $399 for it 3 weeks before the drop but when I look at my sweet ps3 game collection I don't really mind.

Edited by silencer226

What's with having three threads on this, though? :P

Well theres various differences you see,

My thread isn't a copy and paste and took me ages to write.

My thread has been reported (by me) so one or the other probably will get merged locked soon.

My thread will give you a free cookie with your first post. <--- Most important difference.

My thread has pictures of me in home. <----- Close second.

And my thread has a mini anti wii joke.

My Thread is like the 'phat version,' this one is the slim... or I guess that it's not been locked/merged because this one is mainly the firmware stuff and the unit... Mine is kinda a big chunk of everything that was at the conference... . .Theres a 3rd thread?

Anyway...

Price time.

US Price: $299

UK:

Well theres various differences you see,

My thread isn't a copy and paste and took me ages to write.

My thread has been reported (by me) so one or the other probably will get merged locked soon.

My thread will give you a free cookie with your first post. <--- Most important difference.

My thread has pictures of me in home. <----- Close second.

And my thread has a mini anti wii joke.

I smiled all the way down to the last bit :(

*shuffles further into Shade's thread*

Unboxing of the console in real life.

It actually doesn't look as bad when real people are standing there holding it in your face. I still prefer how my PS3 looks though. I definitely prefer the look of the old PS3 they were comparing the new slim too. It's awesome looking.

I hate that I spent $399 for it 3 weeks before the drop but when I look at my sweet ps3 game collection I don't really mind.

Don't some stores have a 30 days price drop policy thingy? As in, they'd refund you $100 or offer the equivalent in purchases in those cases.

Try and give 'em a call, there's nothing you can lose.

I missed the chance fffffffffffff

Edited by Dobkeratops

Basically, this seems to me to be a bit of a PS3 relaunch.

The hardware has been revised to be about 2/3 the size and weight of the original.

The hardware is about 60% of the price it was when it launched.

The new PS3 firmware presents a fundamental upgrade to how you can move through the system.

The HDD is now going to be at least the same size as the 360's largest.

A film and movie store is now available for Europe where you can rent and download. If that doesn't float your boat the PS3 still plays what is now the only HD movie disc format and still does so very well.

Europe finally gets network cards with which to buy things.

Most importantly, the entire PS3 catalogue can more or less stand on its own this Christmas. Sony might not have the greatest games in one specific genre, but it has almost every genre now covered by a stream of high quality first/second party titles. Everything else is more or less covered by third parties.

If only they'd have bought back BC... I think if that had happened people would have had a lot less to moan about.

I get the feeling that this will get an enormous marketing push and that Sony will do exceptionally well this Christmas. The PSPGo on the other hand...

I've always wanted a PS3, but the price steered me away. Now, its at a resonable price, so I'm getting one either this year or my 16th birthday(just about 2 months over a year from now)

This is pretty awesome. This will make it loads easier for me to buy it now, but it's still gonna take a while before I can get one since I'm very short on money.

Wasn't so excited about the design at first, but I'm starting to get used to it, I actually like it now.

But I know my mom's going to have a field day with it's lower energy consumption, been wanting to reduce the energy bill for a while.

Edited by VirgoTheCougar