Awoo.

PS3 slim $299/

Random Rhyme

If only they'd have bought back BC... I think if that had happened people would have had a lot less to moan about.

I agree the most with this. If they brought this out they would of gotten some of the PS2 audience to finally move onto the PS3.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ShadiWulf

• Tornado

• Dazz

• PaddyFancy

Basically, this seems to me to be a bit of a PS3 relaunch.

The hardware has been revised to be about 2/3 the size and weight of the original.

The hardware is about 60% of the price it was when it launched.

The new PS3 firmware presents a fundamental upgrade to how you can move through the system.

The HDD is now going to be at least the same size as the 360's largest.

A film and movie store is now available for Europe where you can rent and download. If that doesn't float your boat the PS3 still plays what is now the only HD movie disc format and still does so very well.

Europe finally gets network cards with which to buy things.

Most importantly, the entire PS3 catalogue can more or less stand on its own this Christmas. Sony might not have the greatest games in one specific genre, but it has almost every genre now covered by a stream of high quality first/second party titles. Everything else is more or less covered by third parties.

If only they'd have bought back BC... I think if that had happened people would have had a lot less to moan about.

I get the feeling that this will get an enormous marketing push and that Sony will do exceptionally well this Christmas. The PSPGo on the other hand...

Yup, its a brand Re-launch. In a interview John Koller said they are getting rid of the Spiderman font on anything related to PlayStation including the software, he says they will be unifying all the software boxes so they are the same worldwide.

want proof? here is a japan bundle that has been announced

gundamps3.jpg

Thought this might be the case after seeing the Eye Pet box change. At least the Japanese boxes say PS3 in that black banner at the top compared to the UK boxes.

51i8kfG%20mgL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Oh and it looks like Eye Pet is now getting a seperate bundle with PS Eye and something called a Magic Card -

Link

The size isn't actually what appeals to me, to be quite honest- it's probably just the price cut. I'm getting into work soon, and this seems to be a good price.

Hopefully I can save up some pennies and get on on release - I will however travel to Norwich to do it, because fuck queuing up in London for it.

Many awesome.

I just bought a PS3 about 2-3 months ago, but I'm fine with mine (aside from the lack of PS2 compatibility, but that's a rant for a different time, XD). I think the Slim looks rather nifty, although, I'd like it to be a glossy black instead of the rough look to be honest.

Way more interested in the update though, <3. Is there any word when the firmware will come out by any chance? Or did I miss that part?

-Blur

Many awesome.

I just bought a PS3 about 2-3 months ago, but I'm fine with mine (aside from the lack of PS2 compatibility, but that's a rant for a different time, XD). I think the Slim looks rather nifty, although, I'd like it to be a glossy black instead of the rough look to be honest.

Way more interested in the update though, <3. Is there any word when the firmware will come out by any chance? Or did I miss that part?

-Blur

September 1st my good man

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=221517

Guess I'll be buying me a PS3 Slim then, unless the current 80GB model goes even cheaper than the

I don't really like its design, but I'll get used to it. And this BETTER have PS2 compatibility, yes I still have my PS2, but I want PS2 compatibility for this PS3.

I can't believe all the people on the internet that are expecting the PS3 Slim to have BC, the whole point of it was to lower costs so Sony could sell it at a low price point without losing money, which is impossible to do with the Phat PS3.

PS3's haven't even had BC for a while now anyways, it's not really that big of a deal. There is patents floating around for Emotion Engine and Graphics Synthesizer emulation on the PS3, so all the models will get Software BC eventually, just not right now.

Don't some stores have a 30 days price drop policy thingy? As in, they'd refund you $100 or offer the equivalent in purchases in those cases.

Try and give 'em a call, there's nothing you can lose.

Game Stop are evil bastards, they tell me to bring in my receipt and then say "oh it had to be within 1 week for us to do it"... assholes. I did see Disgaea 3 in there though, will probably buy it in a few weeks.

The BC thing doesn't bother me. The only people that are going to use it are people with a PS2 already, and in such a case - they have a PS2 already...?

They use the same cable input, so you can just swap the cable round the back if you want to play a PS2 game...

The BC thing doesn't bother me. The only people that are going to use it are people with a PS2 already, and in such a case - they have a PS2 already...?

They use the same cable input, so you can just swap the cable round the back if you want to play a PS2 game...

However, some people are just plum lazy. They should really get a Wii and Wii Fit, or better yet go outside and go walking (# That's what to do #). :D

Yeah, I'd rather have the backwards compatibility. Its a matter of space, a lack of sockets and quite simply ease of use. Hell, I could have traded in the PS2 for discount, and lost nothing. But no, now I have to figure out where the hell everything is going to go.

Sadly, we're just gonna accept the fact that Sony won't be having BC on the new slim. Our pleas won't change their minds.

It'll come, it'll come because Sony knows very well that eventually stores will stop selling new PS2's. But they won't stop producing new PS2 games when so many devs make a WiiStation 2 game.

Not to mention any future psp ports.

Edited by Casanova

I agree the most with this. If they brought this out they would of gotten some of the PS2 audience to finally move onto the PS3.

Um, not really. The PS2 audience will move to it regardless because they already have a PS2 and BC is not needed for them. Yes, it is more convenient to have it all in one box, but if BC is stopping you from moving on then I'd say you have some issues. Unless you don't have a PS2 anymore, but that would be an extreme example.

At this price the PS3 is the best value for your dollar even when the Elite drops to the same price. You get a BluRay player, built in Wifi, the ability to upgrade your HDD with non-proprietary HDDs, etc. Sony is in a good position price-wise and now it's just up to gamers to decide whether they want the games on it or not. Price is no longer a barrier for most.

Can't wait for Uncharted 2, Ratchet & Clank Future 3, and Demons Souls!! I just don't see what the heck is wrong with the spiderman font or why anyone would complain in the first place. People seem to be on the retarded side it seems.

Edited by Unknown?

The best news of all of this is the prize cut. Slim looks ok, even though I like the older version look a lot more. The best thing about Slim is that it doesn't leave any fingerprints ^^.

Why buy retro games? Just buy a retro system used and swap the cables behind the TV?

Um, not really. The PS2 audience will move to it regardless because they already have a PS2 and BC is not needed for them.

I was under the assumption that a good portion of the PS2 audience had already moved on to the 360.

Unless you don't have a PS2 anymore, but that would be an extreme example.

Yes, because the PS2 is the pinnacle of reliability. Even ignoring all of those promotions that were ran of the "Trade in you PS2 for a PS3" variety.

What is all of this complaint of fingerprints with the Phat? Why would you be constantly handling your PS3 anyways?

Edited by Tornado

The PS3 my friend bought had finger prints gallore because he would take it to other people's houses. He dished out the most cash and we all dished in a bit each to get MGS4, and we made a router of who would have it next to complete, maximum one week ownership, and at the end he can keep it.

So obviously constantly picking it up, moving, etc. has got it covered in prints.

Also, your question on why to purchase games for an old console and swapping the cable etc. - SNES games do not run in composite mode, nor does any other retro console. I play Virtual Console games on a Wii because they display on my HDTV correctly, and requires no retuning.

However, a PS2 runs in Composite mode, so I already have that set up.

So really, your argument doesn't really stand up...

Edited by Dazz

Seeing that unboxing video. It really doesn't seem that much smaller. I mean, its smaller but only slightly. Do you remember when the PS2 Slim came out, it was TINY in relation it's older brother.

So does this mean that the new PS3 slim is only 50 pounds more than the Wii (soon to be