• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ShadiWulf

• Tornado

• Dazz

• PaddyFancy

The new model is roughly 30-33% smaller - I'd say that's a fair amount.

ps3-size-compare-2.jpg

As you can see it's slightly wider from this angle, and only a little shorter, but...

ps3-ps3-slim-size-comparison-685x542.jpg

It is almost half as fat...

I'd say it's roughly the size of a PS2 Phat but a little skinnier.

Edited by Dazz

SNES games do not run in composite mode, nor does any other retro console.

I don't know about Europe with your crazy SCART cables, but I know for a fact that the NTSC SNES can transmit in at least S-Video and all it requires is a cable swap. Did you mean component?

So really, your argument doesn't really stand up...

Neither does yours: PS2 games can be upscaled to more properly fit HDTV resolutions on BC PS3s. Otherwise games get horizontal stretching unless the game itself supports 16:9. Exactly like they are on Virtual Console.

The new model is roughly 30-33% smaller - I'd say that's a fair amount.

The problem is it is smaller in a completely useless way. Its thinner, yes, but the actual footprint will be barely any different in practice.

Edited by Tornado

Additional reasons for the Slim working better is it uses a shit load less electricity...

Scart and the like upscale badly unless using YpbPr - which aren't supported by old consoles, however, is supported by the Wii...

And hell, if you want BC and don't care about the size difference as it sounds - buy an old model that has BC...

Edited by Dazz

And hell, if you want BC and don't care about the size difference as it sounds - buy an old model that has BC...

I already did. That has nothing to do with this discussion.

My point is that the Slim, strictly speaking, isn't actually smaller in any really useful way objectively. I don't care about the size difference because it practically doesn't exist.

The only real advantage the Slim has over the current model is less electricity usage and a bigger hard drive. Otherwise its a wash, and Sony hasn't actually been too clear on what the Slim cannot do that the Phat can.

Edited by Tornado

If you took the time research, you'd learn that they've stated the following:

Bravia TV Sync

If you have a Bravia Sync Capable HDTV, you'll be able to sync your PS3 Slim to your TV remove, allowing you to control the console through the remote, and even power off the PS3 when you turn off the TV.

Hard Drive Upgrades

You can upgrade the hard drive yourself with laptop based hard drives. You can install them yourself, though they do plan to release consoles with pre-installed larger drives.

New 45nm cell chip

The smaller 45nm Cell chip allows the console to consume less power, and may even be a little faster. (Though that's to be tested of course, because that's probably the same boost as installing 360 games which increased speed by about 2 seconds...)

What the Phat CAN do that the Slim can't;

Run Linux

2 extra USB ports

Card Reader (some)

Power switch on the back

Also, the size does make a difference if for example you travel a lot - the fatness does account to a lot of weight as well - not sure what the two weights are exactly but reviewers are saying it's a lot lighter. I also stack my consoles upright next to each other - fact is, I have a phat PS2, a Wii and a 360. They all share a 3-way-split cable connection, which has to be disconnect from one and put into another. PS3 will join that, and the cable only just reaches the furthest away console - I will most likely turn my xbox on the side and stack the others on top.

It's a reduction in size to the same degree as the PS2 lite.

Edited by Dazz

Bravia TV Sync

If you have a Bravia Sync Capable HDTV, you'll be able to sync your PS3 Slim to your TV remove, allowing you to control the console through the remote, and even power off the PS3 when you turn off the TV.

Which is great for the dozens of people it applies to. I'm guessing more people are effected by the inability to actually have it sit vertically out of the box or the lack of Linux functionality than they are by not wanting to use the PS3 controller to control the PS3.

Hard Drive Upgrades

You can upgrade the hard drive yourself with laptop based hard drives. You can install them yourself, though they do plan to release consoles with pre-installed larger drives.

If you took the time to research, you'd learn that the PS3 could already do that. That isn't an improvement, that is a "thank god Sony didn't take it out."

New 45nm cell chip

The smaller 45nm Cell chip allows the console to consume less power, and may even be a little faster.

That would go under "reduced power usage," which I already mentioned.

(because that's probably the same boost as installing 360 games which increased speed by about 2 seconds...)

Barely even qualifies as an apples to oranges comparison. Newer 360 load times weren't decreased because of the more efficient Jasper motherboard, either.

Also, the size does make a difference if for example you travel a lot

Its smaller in two dimensions and larger in another. The difference won't be that great.

I also stack my consoles upright next to each other

I assume by "upright" you mean vertically, meaning that for you a Slim will take up pretty much exactly as much space as a Phat already would have.

It's a reduction in size to the same degree as the PS2 lite.

Not really. The PSTwo was smaller in every dimension, and was about a 1/3 as thick. And all of those dimension changes, particularly the thickness, made a difference in its practicality.

The Slim is a little shorter, a little wider and 1/2-2/3 as thick. However, in order to actually take advantage of the thinner profile the way most would you have to completely negate it; so in practice the Slim is pretty much the same size as the Phat.

Edited by Tornado

Why is everyone arguing? If you want a phat get a phat before they are gone. A $300 PS3 is a good thing and they are only 300 dollars now because the PS3 Slim is the way it is, it was made to be able to get manufacturing costs way down.

If there wasn't a slim the PS3 would still be 400 dollars.

I'm just trying to get the facts out there that there's no reason to complain unless it effects you in anyway - I find the slim to be a good addition, and nothing to get angry about if you want a phat. I want a slim because I do travel a lot and the reduction in size is helpful for me. That's about it...

Hopefully I'll get a free review console in the post on release... I'll make some enquires!

Was talking about the people hating on the slim, theres so many people hating on the slim at other places too... and it's usually the fat owners.. it makes no sense. XD

I want a Slim too, will be getting one real soon, can finally get a PS3!

Heres a feature that instantly makes the PS3 Slim a lot more attractive.

The HD Drive can be removed... and it's so much easier to do than the older models.

Theres a video of it in action here.

Now for the not so good news...

The PS3 Slim will not be getting PS2 backwards compatability... ever. The reason being, 'It's not as big a selling incentive as other aspects of the console.' Meaning, people want a PS3 for PS3 games and the blu-ray player.

I personally have to disagree, I own a 60GB model because it has PS2 compatability. However... I've only ever used it for Sonic Riders 2.... nothing else. Whilst it was an incentive for me to buy, it did not give me what I wanted.

If anything I've plugged in my PS2 because the PS2 games do seem to look and play a bit better on it than the PS3. But that said, I think they'll come to regret that decision if it is final.... well who knows... when the PS2 eventually ceases production, we may get some type of emulation download.

That's just PR talk, and honestly I still dont see why people are surpised by no BC on the slim, the latest Phat PS3's haven't had it for over a year now.

PS2 BC will come when PS2's stop selling, along with PS2 games on PSN.

The reason being, 'It's not as big a selling incentive as other aspects of the console.' Meaning, people want a PS3 for PS3 games and the blu-ray player.

If that was true why is it that people have never shut up about it since the day it was removed? Quite frankly, Sony needs all the help they can get. All slashing the price on the PS3 has done is make it so people may actually look at it now, but because of how similar the two consoles actually are when it comes to games, Sony would be crazy to out and out say no to BC ever. It simply doesn't make sense.

I'm also interested in Koller's explanation for why they removed Linux, which was essentially "just because."

Edited by Tornado

They really shouldn't have put the new PS3 logo on the box. I think it looked much better when it just had the PS Family logo on it.

I also fail to see how the Spiderman font (which, as far as I can tell, will still be on the boxes) was such an ultimate sin.

I am SO HAPPY!!!

i got 170 dollars trade in credit for my 360 and all my 360 games + mario galaxy

and they put 155 dollars of that torwards the PSTriple!

This is GREAT!

So you get to pay $145 for the privilege of playing (and paying for) roughly the same games you already had?

Well, my 360 was on it's last legs, so i wouldn't of been able to play those soon anyways, i was so worried when the guy started testing out the 360 and playing a game XD but it passed the test. and besides

all i need is Valkyria Chronicles.

Well, my 360 was on it's last legs, so i wouldn't of been able to play those soon anyways, i was so worried when the guy started testing out the 360 and playing a game XD but it passed the test. and besides

all i need is Valkyria Chronicles.

And this is the reason to never buy an used 360 console, lol.

Yup, I feel bad for whoever buys it, but at the same time I pity them. Anyone with brains would never buy a used XBOX 360.

Yup, I feel bad for whoever buys it, but at the same time I pity them. Anyone with brains would never buy a used XBOX 360.

Well one of my friends bought an 360 and sum games for a really cheap price, and now he has witnessed the RRoD lol, fortunately he got the receipt so he have send in his xbox but still, I would never do that :blink: . Ok maybe I would with the receipt but otherwise no.

Lol, I have a friend who bought his 360 from a pawn shop, but he got lucky, it was still under the 3 year warranty period when it got a RROD and Microsoft just sent him a box to send it in.