Awoo.

Windows 10 (PCs, Windows Phone, Tablets, Xbox One / OUT NOW)

Junko

Hopefully by the time it comes out it's a lil more stable.

If you're thinking about going up to 10, I'd hold off. Had a lot of weird shit break on my computer as I was going up the builds until recently where I got frustrated and installed Ubuntu again.

I probably wouldn't upgrade to Windows 10 at this stage until final release- I have no doubt the end product would be great but the preview builds are only really a good idea if you're like a super enthusiast.

• 1 month later...

Bumping this topic to remind people that Windows 10 get's released tomorrow. Still wondering if I should backup everything on my computer.

Also while I'm at it, here are some early reviews. Sounds good so far:

http://www.wired.com/2015/07/windows-10-review/

http://www.theverge.com/2015/7/28/9045331/microsoft-windows-10-review

Edited by kboyrulez12345

Hey. Who wants to pay $1.50/month to remove ads from fucking Windows Solitaire?

Also:

By default, Windows 10 has a feature that shares the credentials of any network you connect to to all of your Outlook.com, Skype and Facebook contacts - unless the network goes out of their way to end its name in "_optout".

All it takes to create a vulnerability in any network whose name doesn't end in "_optout" is one person on a Windows 10 to connect to your network with this "Wi-Fi Sense" feature enabled. What the hell, Microsoft?

Yeah :\

Edited by goku262002

Why this matters: Honestly, if you want to pay for more energy in Farmville or an upgraded weapon in some online shooter, it’s your business. But it does seem a bit odd that Microsoft can make Windows 10—an entire operating system, mind you—a free upgrade, while asking you to pay to remove ads. If this is the future of Windows as a service, count me out.
Being able to download something extremely useful- an operating system for free is no biggie but man, don't you dare put ads in solitaire, that would be the worst! count me out? is this guy for real? 

Edited by Remy
  • Thumbs Up 2

I can kind of get what hes getting at, I don't want ads in my operating system thats supposed to be mine that would not only bug me but what about the security concerns?

I'm getting 10 pro anyways but I'd rather pay and have an ad-free experience then get a full free version that microsoft can dictate over.

Also:

Yeah :\

The Wi-Fi thing only works if you're physically near the router. That, and you can turn it off.

Edited by PSI Wind

Okay so Windows 10 is available for upgrade. If you haven't got any notification about it being ready for upgrade right now, that's because you received a download error or you didn't update Windows.

First, let's check if you are up to date with Windows. Go to Windows Update from your Control Panel, and check for updates. If it found important or optional Windows KB updates, install them all. You maybe asked to restart your computer.

Once those updates are done, yay! Windows 10 should start downloading...however, there will be some unlucky people (happened to me) who got a 80240020 error. This means at some point, the Windows 10 update got corrupted or just failed to download.

Don't worry, it's an easy fix. Go into "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download" from My PC/My Computer and delete everything in that folder.

Open Command Prompt (as admin).

Type in "wuauclt.exe /updatenow". You'll get nothing after that, which is normal. Head back to Windows Update from your Control Panel and you'll see it downloading!

If it failed again though, it's because the servers are getting hammered probably and you'll have to do the whole fix process again.

• Thumbs Up 3

Oh.. well thanks for that heads up. I thought I was ready to go but there's one important update I haven't done and.. 8 optional ones after checking. :V 5 are KB from the optional, and the important one is a NET Framework update. I'll install them and check to see if I can get Windows 10 after that. 

I don't seem to be getting anything to download regarding Windows 10. I've reserved mine before the release day and nothing is happening now.

I've tried the fixes provided above and my PC is up to date, but all I keep seeing on the control panel is "Windows 10 upgrade reserved".

Any ideas? Thanks. I'd like to try this new OS out.

I don't seem to be getting anything to download regarding Windows 10. I've reserved mine before the release day and nothing is happening now.

I've tried the fixes provided above and my PC is up to date, but all I keep seeing on the control panel is "Windows 10 upgrade reserved".

Any ideas? Thanks. I'd like to try this new OS out.

Restart the computer? Sometimes something like that helps.

Also if you're in Windows 7, some editions are not eligible. Enterprise edition is definitely not unfortunately.

Restart the computer? Sometimes something like that helps.

Also if you're in Windows 7, some editions are not eligible. Enterprise edition is definitely not unfortunately.

I've definitely tried restarting, multiple times in fact.

I use Windows 7 Professional, which should be an eligible edition IIRC.

EDIT: I see a $WINDOWS.~BT and $Windows.~WS folder now. Think it's safe to assume it's working now. Thanks anyway! :)

Edited by Xenn

Hey, just a question, if I upgrade Windows 10 on say my laptop, will it affect my other Windows devices? It's sort of synced up with my Windows 10 one (As in they have similar themes and wallpapers)

I updated my computer but I guess either the update hasn't hit my computer yet this wave or I'll have to wait for the next one, which would suck. I got the files on my computer already.

So I have Windows 10. Started by trying to test out Microsoft Edge. When I clicked on it, it wouldn't load. It's still not loading in fact, and my whole bottom toolbar is frozen. As for speed, it's working fine.

So updated to Windows 10. Looks good, but is it me, or are there less options for personalisation than before. I've been on the settings menu, and the control panel, but there doesn't seem to be anything to change the colour of both task bar and active window?

Sooo can someone help me here? I installed any missing updates I have, restarted, and still no notification for Windows 10. The icon when clicked again, just has a box I can click that says "Notify me when the download is available". Also I had a few updates prior to this that were failed and said "Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro". Is there any way I can manually initiate the download? 

• Thumbs Up 1

Sooo can someone help me here? I installed any missing updates I have, restarted, and still no notification for Windows 10. The icon when clicked again, just has a box I can click that says "Notify me when the download is available". Also I had a few updates prior to this that were failed and said "Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro". Is there any way I can manually initiate the download? 

That sounds like a 80240020 error. Especially if you looked at the update history and got "Upgrade to Windows 10" - Failed. Do the fix again. As I said, it may take several times for it to work.

Hm ok... I think it's working now.. Windows Update is stuck at checking for updates but there's an icon in my taskbar saying Windows is downloading updates. It's at 32% now. I'll assume it's the Windows 10 thing.

I keep getting stuck here:

Capture.thumb.jpg.86d269deb31081eaaf5928

it won't budge, and this is like the third time it's done this

Does it actually stick, or are you just not leaving it long enough?

It took about ten-fifteen minutes for mine to even get off that point.

Microsoft has renewed it's Privacy Policy and Service Agreement and it's not so private.

https://edri.org/microsofts-new-small-print-how-your-personal-data-abused/

I've seen a few people complain about this but.. it's been happening for some time now. Didn't Google or Facebook or something also record the stuff you type to get advertising geared towards you? It's a very common practice nowadays and although it may feel a bit intrusive, I don't think people should worry too much about it.

Edit: Just read about the Wi-Fi stuff and websites.. erm.. well at least they have settings to turn it off... 

Edited by ElectricAngel
  • Thumbs Up 1