Awoo.

Windows 10 (PCs, Windows Phone, Tablets, Xbox One / OUT NOW)

Junko

I finally got mine to update. I like it so far. But the biggest thing is the touchpad on laptops. I can't scroll down like I use too anymore. Now it's all weird and annoying.

I upgraded today and so far I am impressed. I actually thought Windows 8.1 was pretty good, albeit somewhat clunky, but this is a definite improvement. I had no issues whatsoever during the install process, nor did I have any issues after installing it. The UI is similar to 8.1 but the start menu is an actual start menu now, and everything is much more coherent and organised. 

The first game I tried was Minecraft Win10 edition. Now I did have an issue there in the form of absent sound, however switching audio drivers fixed that issue. Win10 Edition runs a hell of a lot better than the original PC version, though it's still a bit rough around the edges. I'm hoping it will get mod support too. 

The Xbox Live intergration is great, everything from my account was there from chievos to my avatar. I could not try the XB1 game streaming as I do not own an Xbox One, however I've been hearing that it's great. 

Overall, I'm very happy with it, it's definitely worth upgrading to.

If you are one of those who still waiting for that notification, here's the faster way:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

You are required a blank USB or DVD to do this. Make sure you run the installation through Windows so you can perform the upgrade process. Remember, don't do a clean install otherwise you may be screwed! Do a clean install if you want after the upgrade.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've installed Windows 10 and so far it seems pretty good. I am liking it more than Windows 8.1 already as it seems like it has way more features that are actually useful such as having multiple desktops. Overall it seems pretty solid but I need to try out more of the features before I come up with a solid opinion.

If you are one of those who still waiting for that notification, here's the faster way:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

You are required a blank USB or DVD to do this. Make sure you run the installation through Windows so you can perform the upgrade process. Remember, don't do a clean install otherwise you may be screwed! Do a clean install if you want after the upgrade.

Actually, you can do it entirely on your PC as long as you have enough free space on your internal storage to accommodate it. I did it that way and everything went as smoothly as it could have.

Haha, once you go Windows 10, you can't go back to 8.1 or even 7. The OS is just far too good looking and quick to go back. It looks amazing and crisp in my new HP Spectre x360.

The only problem that people may have against 10, is that some graphic cards are currently incompatible with 10 (which will be fixed by Nvidia as soon as possible). And even then, when it's fixed these people will be very tempted to jump in.

Over 14 million PCs were upgraded in the first 24 hours for Windows 10, compared to Windows 8's 2 million. People are still upgrading to Windows 10 in large numbers even today. My dad and my sister got W10 yesterday.

EDIT: 67 million PCs upgraded so far up to last Friday!

• Thumbs Up 1

Despite there being an icon for the upgrade on my laptop, I'm still not going bother..yet.

I just get this uncomfortable feeling that if jump head first into updating, I just know that I'll end up regretting my decision - either because some enormous bug gets
found and I'll just be sitting on my laptop thinking to myself "*bleep*" as I see the effects of it unleash on my files, or all my programs start to act up due to some sort
of incompatibility with the upgrade.

Hell, I kinda feel bad having the icon over there just..Rot, but even despite the all the positive things I hear about it - or the pretty neat features, I'm still not quite sure..
I'm bound to probably update anyway and instantly exclaim something random in shock, I'll bet.

So has anyone tried the streaming from Xbox to W10 feature? For some reason it won't let me.

So has anyone tried the streaming from Xbox to W10 feature? For some reason it won't let me.

Yeah, I've tried it. I'm amazed on how great it is on my end. Even a game like Rayman Legends, which requires precise control input and no delay didn't lag for me. It doesn't look perfect, but it plays perfectly. Did you check the box to allow streaming in the Preferences on the X1?

Yeah, I've tried it. I'm amazed on how great it is on my end. Even a game like Rayman Legends, which requires precise control input and no delay didn't lag for me. It doesn't look perfect, but it plays perfectly. Did you check the box to allow streaming in the Preferences on the X1?

It works fine for me. But I do get a good amount of lag. Maybe it's based on if your PC and X1 are both wired? I know IGN had an article about it. But the fact that now a Xbox One player no longer needs a capture card to do this is great. I know the Twitch app allowed you to do it as well, but most streamers have a CC anyways. Because it's easier for them to keep up with the followers and stuff.

It works fine for me. But I do get a good amount of lag. Maybe it's based on if your PC and X1 are both wired? I know IGN had an article about it. But the fact that now a Xbox One player no longer needs a capture card to do this is great. I know the Twitch app allowed you to do it as well, but most streamers have a CC anyways. Because it's easier for them to keep up with the followers and stuff.

Well, you didn't to begin with because Game DVR was a thing.

Actually, my PC and Xbox One are both wireless.

Actually, my PC and Xbox One are both wireless.

Well then I'm not sure anymore lol.

Well then I'm not sure anymore lol.

If it's lagging it's almost definitely your wireless. It's possible for  you to stream smoothly on wireless if you have like, perfect network conditions (newish fast router, little interference, everything is close together, not much else going on in your home network, etc) but extremely unlikely. Much easier to just hard wire your xbox on pc if you're planning to do any serious streaming. 

So after having Windows 10 for a few days, I have to say, I really like it. The Facebook and Twitter desktop notifications are great. I've wanted to have those for quite some time, to the point where I'd try and find some desktop apps for Windows 7 a while back. Glad to see it's a natural part of the system now.

The only problems I've had so far is getting iTunes to work properly. It appears you need to install the version for old graphics cards for whatever reason. And games are a bit wonky. I tried Sonic Adventure and the framerate is all over the place. Other times it's really sloww and other times it works fine. And this is within the same game session, mind you. I also tried Sonic Generations, which seems to run smoother. I used to be able to play it only in 1280x720 resolution at 50fps, but now it goes at 1600x900 at almost a consistent 60fps. The game is easy to crash though so.. eh. Valve games work fine though. The ones that run the Half-Life 2 engine (can't recall the actual name now) work perfectly well. I tested out Garry's Mod, but I assume Team Fortress 2 can work just as fine. 

I'm quite pleased with this upgrade. Lots of things got fixed for me too after I factory reset my laptop. My computer runs like it's brand new, and my USB ports seem to work again too. I previously had problems where they'd be finicky with how they recognize external storage devices. 

One small complaint I have is how almost everything was renamed in the Greek version, so I had a bit of trouble finding things. But thanks to online guides I now know where mostly everything is. 

I have 2 questions about Windows 10 that I want answered before I upgrade:

1. How's the optimization? I wouldn't want the performance of any of my games to drop at all. 

2. Is there any way to check all my programs, games, etc etc for compatibility before upgrading? I don't want anything to stop working. 

If you've used 8.1, not much has changed regarding video games. Steam games may want you to verify the game cache so things work.

Windows 10 will check for drivers for whatever or not they work, but you'll have to find out what games work. Again, if a game works on 8.1, it should be fine on 10.

Only trouble I had was Norton. There's a specific update for Norton on Windows 10 that wasn't showing for me at first. It took a bit, but eventually did.

Other than that, everything was fine. Though of course anything from 8.1 doesn't carry over, and you'll have to rearrange your start screen back to how you like it. Thankfully it is now just attached to the Start menu instead of opening as a full screen page.

• 2 weeks later...

Urgh, another issue has popped up. And, well, it popped up 2 days ago actually. I can't connect to WiFi... For some reason it asks for a user name and password??

The thing that's odd is, when I was in Greece, the WiFi worked fine. And my router there had a WEP key. Here in Jordan, my router also has a WEP key.. but I can't connect? What am I supposed to do? I mean, I can access the Internet fine with cable, but I'd prefer to go wireless if I could.. 

i have w7. Should i upgrade to w10?

Generally what I tell most people with Windows 7 is that unless they really, really want to upgrade, they should wait until Windows 10 is more stable enough. You have a year to decide, don't upgrade now. 7 is more stable then 10 but 10 in some cases has better stability than 8.1.

So not exactly Windows 10 related... but...

http://s29.postimg.org/vyeqks646/IMG_20150821_00074.jpg

Windows 8 Pro is being utterly slashed in price all over the place 

Last week a copy of Windows 8 was being sold for as much as £100 in some PC world stores, now Tesco's have slashed the price to just under £10.

So why would you want to get this? Well a few reasons.

1: You've got a Vista machine which can potentially run Windows 10 and want a 'free' upgrade.

2: You just wanna experiment with some old machines you own. <--- probably the main reason I might grab one.

3: You've got windows 8 standard, you don't want 10 for whatever reason.

4: Just for legacy reasons/experimentation.

5: Just in case Windows 10 kills some old PC games/software/hardware stuff and you want a copy for a future gaming/legacy machine.

• Thumbs Up 1

3: You've got windows 8 standard, you don't want 10 for whatever reason.

Not sure if this point was intended to cover what I have to say, but allow me to further elaborate either way:

I am also sure one good reason for the license would be that Pro unlocks additional features and functions, and these will carry over to Windows 10, which means it is the only way to get Windows 10 Pro with the free upgrade provided by Microsoft (at least in countries like mine where the Any-Time edition upgrade is unavailable, though this would be far much cheaper than that either way!). One of these features is the ability to host a Remote Desktop session (in my opinion, none of the other remote connection program can even hope to match it).

By using Windows 8.1 Pro, you can also install and utilize more than 16 GB RAM on your computer, and 8.1 Pro has more management options, including user account management, encrypting file system and the ability to enter domains as opposed to mere workgroup networks. These are just some of the unlocked features reserved for business standard, hence Pro, but if one likes to tinker, then why not. I do not use many of those, but I am a frequent user of the smooth Remote Desktop.

Keep in mind that you cannot directly upgrade from Windows 8.1 to 8.1 Pro. If Any-Time upgrade is available in your country, you could use that to upgrade your computer directly, but that probably costs a bunch more. In order to move from Windows 8.1 to 8.1 Pro using a new product key, the only other available option will be to completely wipe and reinstall the system.

1: You've got a Vista machine which can potentially run Windows 10 and want a 'free' upgrade.

While I am at it, another reason you might consider a practically free Windows 8.1 license would be in fact this, but not necessarily just to get to Windows 10. Keep in mind that while Windows 10 has been in beta for quite some time, it has been seemingly poorly tested on computers shipped with its predecessors, including Windows 7. If you want to prolong the lifetime of an old computer which can potentially run a newer Windows, Windows 8.1 might in fact be your safest bet, at least until further notice.

I have seen way too much zero compatibility with certain devices or software, lagging or even complete crashes on Windows 10 through one week than I have ever on Windows 8.1, and this naturally includes upgrades from an earlier Windows. I have had to downgrade some of my own computers and a bunch of my customers' computers since there have been no work-arounds for any of the occuring issues, however Windows 8.1 would work perfectly fine. I am not saying upgrading from an older system to Windows 10 is necessarily a bad idea (I am posting this using Edge, from a laptop shipped with Windows 7, upgraded to 10), but one might really want to consider the fact that Windows 10 currently is having a lot of incompatibility issues, and the only way to resolve them is either to wait or to downgrade.

I probably forgot to mention that I find this Windows 8.1 Pro offer pretty neat! If you are building your own computer, you will need to buy Windows, as there will not be anything to upgrade from, get it? So instead of buying a fully priced Windows 10 (which most likely will be the home edition, unless you plan on utilizing more than 16 GB RAM), you can instead buy a really cheap Windows 8.1 Pro, and then upgrade that to Windows 10 Pro. This will be great news for PC builders, I imagine, even if you do not care about the Pro edition! Too bad there are no such offers in my country. Everything is fully priced here, and more to it. x_X;

• 2 months later...