Jump to content
Awoo.
  • Sonic Frontiers Spoilers: Datamining Discovers Update 3 Character Animations and Assets in Update 2

    First spoiler: Tails is there. And Amy. And Knuckles.

    Spoilers ahead to those sensitive to them.

    There are only three constants in life: death, taxes, and game patch data containing hints at upcoming content. It wasn't long before the community (specifically Bluwolfblitz on Twitter in this case) began dissecting the game's new files and discovered new animations, textures, and weapon models for Sonic's soon-to-be-playable buddies.

    The full thread is available here with screenshots, videos, and textures, but there are a few worth highlighting:

    Each of the three have some form of weapon associated with them, Amy fighting with both Tarot cards and her iconic hammer, Tails getting a "Cyblaster" gun or turret, and Knuckles either punching or taking the form of a drill.

    The series, thoroughly doubling-down on Amy as a fortune teller, has incorporated her deck into an attack. The cards have the same texture as those in the IDW comics, Sonic Origins, and the upcoming reproduction set releasing this November.

    Far from the days of Sonic Adventure 2's wall crawling, Knuckles' climb animation here is much more aggressive. He'll also squat down in idle like a stereotypical anime delinquent. (And really, is Knuckles anything but?)

    And finally, Tails does what Tails does best, fly in ways that defy physics and poke at invisible machines. Without context, we don't know the constraints to his flight yet, but one must imagine it would be quite useful on the more vertical islands.

    Finally, it appears that each character may get their own skill tree. Sonic's tree in the game totals to 15 moves (many of which are combat finishers), and Tails, Knuckles, and Amy appear to have the same quantity as Sonic himself if the 1-15 labels are any indication. It's probably safe to assume the numbers are placeholders.

    As a caution, Bluwolfblitz notes that the update also contains much of the third update's script text. They've opted not to share them, but for those wary of story spoilers, the info will likely be out there elsewhere.

    Sonic News Tips Credit:
    Ryannumber1gamer

    • Way Past Cool 1

    Sonic Wiki Database: Related Entries


    User Feedback

    Recommended Comments



    CrownSlayer’s Shadow

    Posted

    Hmm…makes me wonder if they’re gonna stop the updates after this one or continue and add more to the game?

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    I'd be really shocked if they kept going after Update 3. The first two updates alone are already quite a significant amount of content.

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon

    Posted

    14 minutes ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

    Hmm…makes me wonder if they’re gonna stop the updates after this one or continue and add more to the game?

    Depends on how much they want to use Frontiers to keep 3D players tied over until the next game.

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    There's more..

    Also, looks like Tails, Knux, and Amy will each have their own skill tree..

    Also, Apparently there are some story stuff for Update 3 going around, so be wary on Sonic Twitter

    • Thumbs Up 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Amy attacks with Tarot cards? Seems more like attacking with Talismans, she's out here sealing away ghostly spirits that haunt the Starfall Islands.

    These idle animations are really expressive, Sonic Team's animation has come a long away from where we used to be.

    • Thumbs Up 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Where do you want me to gush? The value for money in this title continues to impress me.

    Which is just as well considering I presently feel the opposite with my value spent on Origins - so at least I can end the day on a high note. 

    • Thumbs Up 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    43 minutes ago, 8ther said:

    Also, Apparently there are some story stuff for Update 3 going around, so be wary on Sonic Twitter

    So by story stuff, are we talking during the end game/final island? Or are talking about post-game? Not wanting to know anything else beyond that, at the the risk of being spoiled.

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    I don't know, i just heard that some story related stuff were being leak by some other dataminers, I honestly don't want to look into it out of risk of being spoiled myself

    Edit: Last batch of leaks from Bluwolf, showing Knuckles' idle, climbing, glide, and attack animations

    Spoiler

     

     

     

     

     

    • Thumbs Up 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Amy's running animation is very lively.

    Squash and Stretch (mostly just stretch) for in-game animation and looks much better than Sonic's base game animation.

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    50 minutes ago, Blueknight V2.0 said:

    So by story stuff, are we talking during the end game/final island? Or are talking about post-game? Not wanting to know anything else beyond that, at the the risk of being spoiled.

    I can't see any reason they would put in so much work to include extra playable characters if there wasn't a substantive story to play through with them, except for the heads of SEGA rushing it out early.  Granted, that's a big reason.

    • Thumbs Up 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    That we're getting this for free is so wild and not game company like, I have to wonder what the catch is.

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Since characters are seemingly going to have Skill Trees as full as Sonic's, I think the initial worries/presumptions that they'd only be playable in limited zones can probably be put to rest.

    • Thumbs Up 4
    • Nice Smile 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    1 hour ago, Chili Dawg said:

    That we're getting this for free is so wild and not game company like, I have to wonder what the catch is.

    I think the catch was that they delayed implementing things that, by some allegations, were supposed to be in the core game at release but did not get finished in time.  Of course, the particular allegations about Tails, Knuckles and Amy being playable have many skeptics, but when you consider what a bizarre and un-Sonic-like final boss we got, it does seem like at least some stuff in Frontiers just plain wasn't finished.

    As to why they aren't charging extra for this, well, maybe they meant what they said about wanting this game to take them to the top of the industry.  Frontiers as released definitely comes off as the foundation of something potentially great but missing a lot of the "stuff" you'd expect for most open-world games, so maybe the free DLC is an attempt to gain on the competition.

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    53 minutes ago, Scritch the Cat said:

    I think the catch was that they delayed implementing things that, by some allegations, were supposed to be in the core game at release but did not get finished in time.  Of course, the particular allegations about Tails, Knuckles and Amy being playable have many skeptics, but when you consider what a bizarre and un-Sonic-like final boss we got, it does seem like at least some stuff in Frontiers just plain wasn't finished.

    As to why they aren't charging extra for this, well, maybe they meant what they said about wanting this game to take them to the top of the industry.  Frontiers as released definitely comes off as the foundation of something potentially great but missing a lot of the "stuff" you'd expect for most open-world games, so maybe the free DLC is an attempt to gain on the competition.

    That's also what I had heard. Probably threw a bunch of thingd out early in development. Iizuka has gone on the record saying that they had to redo the maps several times. Not to mention the unused Supreme Titan animations and that leaked snippet of game footage that was in higher quality compared to the final build.

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    When will Sonic Team learn to clean their files before giving the okay to release, haha.

    Regardless, this is all really cool to see. Puts my biggest fear at ease (that these characters would be just small minigames and nothing more), if they have what seems to be full movement animations. Maybe each character has their own skill tree as "extensive" as Sonic's? That'd be neat, but I don't really know how you can extend Tails' combat to be that in-depth if he uses the cyblaster. But then again, I'm not against a Shadow The Hedgehog (game) but with Tails instead, could use different weapons/variants of the cyblaster maybe.

    I see Amy's tarot card attack an immediately think Reimu Hakurei and her constant depictions of using cards as an attack as well. Can't wait for the mad rush to replace Amy's model with some Reimu model for that one attack alone.

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    4 minutes ago, SolidSurgeTT said:

    If they have textures I'd like to see the models textured.

    It's likely these are the same character models already in-game.

    • Chuckle 2
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Just now, GX -The Spindash- said:

    It's likely these are the same character models already in-game.

    Yeah but don't those have that Cyberspace filter over them? I figured these would be of the characters outside of Cyberspace (I hope--the DLC roadmap showed them as still being in Cyberspace).

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    18 hours ago, Treacher said:

    That's also what I had heard. Probably threw a bunch of thingd out early in development. Iizuka has gone on the record saying that they had to redo the maps several times. Not to mention the unused Supreme Titan animations and that leaked snippet of game footage that was in higher quality compared to the final build.

    To the dataminers: According to the author of that "leak", Amy also does a bit of boxing in the game.  If you can find animations for that I'd call it as good as confirmed.

    17 hours ago, LegoFedora said:

    When will Sonic Team learn to clean their files before giving the okay to release, haha.

    Part of me thinks they're doing this intentionally.  It's no secret that the majority of the buzz about Sonic the Hedgehog for most of a decade has been online.  On years where a major Sonic product isn't around to keep that interest up they can still count on people online to remind everyone else that Sonic exists, even if often that's in less than flattering terms.  Playing into the passions of Sonic fans and media archivists helps with that.

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    22 minutes ago, Scritch the Cat said:

    Part of me thinks they're doing this intentionally.  It's no secret that the majority of the buzz about Sonic the Hedgehog for most of a decade has been online.  On years where a major Sonic product isn't around to keep that interest up they can still count on people online to remind everyone else that Sonic exists, even if often that's in less than flattering terms.  Playing into the passions of Sonic fans and media archivists helps with that.

     

    The truth is probably somewhere in the middle. These data-mine hungry masses do provide free publicity and buzz. And on the other hand, you don't have to spend extra time and effort creating a new build that doesn't contain all this juicy data.

     

    Its an argument that comes up all the time when demo's come out. In order to launch a demo that has nothing valuable to data mine, you'd have to devote a team to collecting the relevant assets from scratch from the ground up - so that the end result is "clean". And even then, a ton of stuff is interconnected, so you'd have to devote even more effort to quality control checking your maths. God help you if a texture shader file name hints at an unannounced ability. or a stray sound effect file confirms something you were trying to be sneaky about.  lol

     

    I'm happy with a middle ground that leaves stuff for people to dig through and satiate that rabid itch - while not giving away the entire farm. And in this case, Frontiers is already out so the spoiler stakes are much lower. Not zero, thanks to the new story content, but it certainly does not need the protections a yet-to-be-released game needs.

     

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    On 6/24/2023 at 9:05 AM, LegoFedora said:

    When will Sonic Team learn to clean their files before giving the okay to release, haha.

    Honestly, many gamedevs I know are really bad at handling source revision and branches correctly, so I think that every "done" branch are dumped into the main branch, and that everything is built in one go xD

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    The leaked dialogue

    Spoiler

    sorta implies they all should've been playable when Sonic gets fully corrupted. So I guess they're really gonna change the third act of the game.  Wacky.

     

    • Thumbs Up 2
    • Way Past Cool 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Really wonder how this will be implemented into the game with all these substantial changes. 

    • Thumbs Up 2
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites




    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

You must read and accept our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy to continue using this website. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.