Awoo.

Saddest Death/Ending

King Frosty

Does it make me a desensitized person for not finding any death tear worthy? I'm not saying that I don't feel any sadness because I do feel a sense of loss... but I accept death as part of life so I don't cry when it comes to deaths in life, shows, or video games. When it comes to life I see it as the shell has passed but the soul remains. When it comes to the shows and/or video games it's more of does it fit appropriately with the story and I see why that said character had to die... Or maybe I just think too much.

Kamina's death in Gurren Lagann to me, was the most crushing death personally in terms of anime. The guy was awesome, and you just knew that He and Simon were gonna pull together, and win in the end. :D Sadly however... ;A;.. yeah.

Also in terms of One Piece,

Bellemere's death in Nami's backstory was also pretty crushing.

Another big one in that series, while maybe not the biggest, was this:

After many adventures, their ship just couldn't take anymore, and gave up the ghost, literally.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCuPYwm_otA

It was then given a viking funeral, apologizing to the crew saying that it just wanted to take them a little further on their adventure.

Only Oda could make people cry over a ship.

Edited by Inferno
  • Thumbs Up 4

Does it make me a desensitized person for not finding any death tear worthy? I'm not saying that I don't feel any sadness because I do feel a sense of loss... but I accept death as part of life so I don't cry when it comes to deaths in life, shows, or video games. When it comes to life I see it as the shell has passed but the soul remains. When it comes to the shows and/or video games it's more of does it fit appropriately with the story and I see why that said character had to die... Or maybe I just think too much.

I think everybody views death differently, and I think your perspective is perfectly valid (and a nicely hopeful one). :)

Full Metal Alchemist:

Nina's death after her tragic transformation into a chimera. It was definitely a tear-jerker, and I wanted to slaughter her father with my own hands for causing that. The odd thing? I never even liked Nina in the first place. ;~;

Even worse was the death of Maise Hughes. I really liked Hughes, and the funeral scene with his daughter crying and asking how he was going to finish his important job if they were burying him absolutely tore me apart.

Hell, FMA in general was really sad. :/

Edited by Dissident
  • Thumbs Up 3

I didn't want you to go either, Tennant

i didn't want you to go either

;-;

That would've probably been even sadder if it weren't for RTD's stupid dialogue.

Speaking of the Doctor, Tom Bakers regeneration into Peter Davison was kind of sad...... :(

Full Metal Alchemist:

Nina's death after her tragic transformation into a chimera. It was definitely a tear-jerker, and I wanted to slaughter her father with my own hands for causing that. The odd thing? I never even liked Nina in the first place. ;~;

Even worse was the death of Maise Hughes. I really liked Hughes, and the funeral scene with his daughter crying and asking how he was going to finish his important job if they were burying him absolutely tore me apart.

Hell, FMA in general was really sad. :/

Oh yes. It's horrible what Scar did to her in the first anime series, ripping her inside-out and splaying her entrails all over a wall in an alley. High Octane Nightmare Fuel Alert! The goriness and depressingness of FMA is what turned me off it :/

What's just as sad is Shou Tucker's efforts to ressurrect her. All he's left with are lifeless dolls which have no hope of ever regaining a soul, as souls are priceless and something that no offer in equivalent exchange can 'buy'.

• Thumbs Up 1

Full Metal Alchemist:

It's very strange that nobody has yet mentioned Blackadder Goes Forth's finale. Captain Blackadder (Rowan Atkinson), Lieutenant George (Hugh Laurie), Private Baldrick (Tony Robinson) and Captain Darling (Tim McInnerny) all gather for what is to be their final few minutes on earth. After a good number of episodes spent not charging out of the trenches into No Man's Land, getting to know the small group, they have to do what they ultimately probably don't really want to.

It's probably the most touching, poignant, and generally most superbly handled ending to any show I can remember.

Nothing beats that.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think everybody views death differently, and I think your perspective is perfectly valid (and a nicely hopeful one). :)

One I remember that made me cry was in the movie Highlander. When Mcloud's wife dies it plays the beautiful song "Who Wants to Live Forever" by Queen in the background. Sheer beauty.

As everyone has said, Toy Story 3 and also Jurassic Bark. That really tore me up....

Lastly I'll give a mention to Professor Layton and Pandora's box.

Anton had waited for many years for his wife to return, believing he had not aged with the years. Yet eventually he gets the news that his wife died leaving him as a grandfather. He ages infront of his own eyes to become ancient. anton and his grandaughter then have an emotional moment with this beautiful music playing.

Edited by Dr Spudhead

Ray's death from The Princess and the Frog. :mellow:

Okay, it may not be as sad as Bambi's mom or Mufasa getting killed but it did manage to get me to teary-eyed (and this coming from someone who has never cried at the two former Disney deaths.)

But it was nice to see him (or at least him in star form) finally with the star he loves.

:)

Edited by DragonSoul
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 4 months later...

In a game? Uh The end of E-102 gamma's story. Such an epic robot. Manly tears were dropped.

• Thumbs Up 1

One sad death/ending that I saw as a child was definitely the original ending to the Little Mermaid. Spirit of the air thing aside, she essentially died because the guy she was in love with couldn't put two and two together to love her back. Sadder still that she was still so much in love with him after he wed someone else that she wasn't willing to sacrifice his life to return to her former one.

Mufasa's death in the Lion King was also a pretty sad one, and I remember bawwing like a friggin' baby with my brothers when we borrowed the VHS from one of our neighbors. I so wanted him to wake up, and I also wanted to reach into the screen and strangle the shit out of Scar for being such a shit brother/uncle, etc.

As of late, I have to say that the saddest one so far is essentially a whole movie called Kanashimi no Belladonna (Sadness of Belladonna). It's an art house type anime film set in 14th century France that tells the story of Jeanne, a peasant woman who gets raped by the local lord on her wedding day. :C She gets burned at the stake for witchcraft at the end, right after her estranged husband is murdered for finally standing up for her (after largely ignoring her after the rape).

I'd show the trailer here since that's not flagged 18, but I don't know if that's appropriate here as it does have nudity, and does have at least part of the rape scene in, so I'll just post an image (as it's told like a scrolling storybook):

ec8aaced94944.jpg

and the theme:

http://youtu.be/2ZRenQnaHzA

....am I the only one who didn't shed any manly tears during Toy Story 3 or Lion King?

I was however extremely disturbed by the funeral scene from An American Tail. It was so creepy/frightening that I don't think I seen the entire film again since. It doesn't help considering the fact that I was little when I saw it.

Edited by Zinos

Most recently, Shadow of the Colossus sprung up emotions within me towards the end. The ending is a strange twist of sadness, awe, and hope, but the two deaths that happen in it were both very well executed. After playing as this character for so long as he slays the colossus and goes through loneliness and suffering only to have been duped and his body used to reincarnate a great demon lord, then sealed away to the underworld never to see her again. But through his sacrifice she is awoken, but to a world with no one else in it and to never see her lover again, unaware of what happened to him. That game was like a very good but somewhat depressing fairy tale, but it did end with hope as the horse limps and finds the baby of the man reborn.

Silent Hill 1-3 all struck very close in specific scenes in the game. In Silent Hill 1, you have run multiple times in this twisted and dark world with a girl named Lisa. She is lonely, confused, and somewhat innocent seeming. She was a nurse, and questions what happened and why she is alive. She seeks comfort in Harry, who is looking for his daughter, and is one of the only human companions he meets through the course of the game. However, she starts seeming off and distant towards the end of the game and soon you're going through one of the most beautifully haunted areas to ever exist in video games, simply known as "Nowhere". Here you meet Lisa, and Harry proves he isn't some hero or Lisa's knight in shining armor, he is just a man pushed to severe physical and mental limits in this hellish nightmare, and as Lisa begs for him to save her, he leaves her for his own benefit. A powerful and touching scene, one of the first games to ever really surge emotion into me like that. Playing in the dark, alone, and with such weird shit going on before this, it was a really powerful scene.

Air TV and Kanon are both just tear jerkers, I tell you!

If there was one thing that made me bawl excessively in terms of sadness in a work of fiction...

[One Piece spoilers ahoy if you haven't gotten to the Whitebeard and Marines bit]

The deaths of Portgas D. Ace and Bon Clay.

The overall tone of One Piece is usually merry, and even after the storm, things usually worked out since the Straw Hats always stood up on top. This was a manga/anime series that was usually optimistic in a typically dystopian/unlawful setting involving pirates, nobles and what not.

From the moment the Straw Hat Pirates were separated on Sabaody, things started to get tense, as any work of fiction involving action and adventure would do.

But the entire ride... Luffy on Kuja Island was hilarious. Then we got to Impel Down, where Luffy literally fought for his life. He broke into the most heavily fortified prison in the world that lied in the middle of a Calm Line [which isn't all that calm], each floor in there being a greater hell the lower it got (also a nice play on Dante's Inferno). He was ready to give his own life to defeat Magellan, Impel Down's Warden who was literally a mass of poison from head to toe, with zero antidotes against them because they're insanely powerful. When Luffy said that he would give up his arms in fighting him in order to rescue his brother, and struck him with a Gomu Gomu no Jet Bazooka, it was practically the end of sunshine in the series for a good while.

When Luffy was healed and got to the bottom Hell, Ace was already being taken to Marineford to be executed. The countdown throughout the entire Impel Down arc was nerve wracking.

What brought me to tears here... was Bon Clay.

BonClay_Mr_2_Wallpaper_by_SirCrocodile.jpg

As a character, he was goofy, idiotic, wild, crazy, almost a crossdresser, an Okama. But I honestly liked the guy, how he valued friendship over anything. His own being as well. He helped Luffy through Impel Down and nearly got himself killed in the bitter cold while being bitten on by wolves, looking for the poison-drenched Straw Hat Captain.

Using his own transformation abilities to imitate Magellan, he allowed Luffy and the massive number of escapees while he stayed behind and faced the Warden himself, his last line "I have no regrets".

Needless to say, I was crying "BON-CHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!" along with the rest of the characters. At least through tears.

Then finally, we reach Marineford. The battle was practically all over the place and lasted quite a few chapters. Plenty of highs, plenty of lows, but what we were all looking forward to was Ace being freed.

It happened, everyone was celebrating the fact, and the battle started to turn in their favour before they decide to get the hell out, their objective complete.

Then Admiral Akainu was about to strike Luffy while he was down.

Only for it to result to this.

719px-AceTakeABlowforLuffy.jpg

Luffy, who literally went through Hell to save his own brother, actually lost. To him, he had failed his goal.

To him, he failed to save his brother.

719px-The_Loss_of_Ace.jpg

With that, his mind snapped, and all he could do was yell and cry. And that was just too much for me to handle.

The nail in the coffin was Whitebeard's death.

• Thumbs Up 1

I can think of so many from From Software's more recent games. What makes theirs interesting is that it's often you who does the deed. It's not like you had a choice, usually.

....am I the only one who didn't shed any manly tears during Toy Story 3 or Lion King?

No you're not. although for TS3 it could have been the fact that I knew of some of the things that happened in it prior to watching, but still...

Edited by Wearied Flames

One that always got me was Stitch's "death" in Lilo & Stitch 2 : Stitch Has A Glitch. What makes the scene so powerful is knowing that Lilo and Stitch had been struggling with their friendship throughout the film and the whole taking what you love for granted until it's too late and Lilo is stuck knowing this while holding her lifeless best friend and family in her arms.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2z4LTzZ4Qw&feature=related

Of course, Stitch doesn't die, but it really doesn't lessen the impact of the "death" scene. I damn near cry every time I see it.

Ash's "death" in the first pokemon movie always made me cry

I was literally bawling when Andy gave his toys away, my childhood just died a little at that point

And thene there's Kamina's death...

MY CRIES D:

Edited by Gonza

The ending of the original Splatterhouse for Aracdes and the PC-Engine is very sad.

Jen dies and Rick stands alone with the shattered Terror Mask. Made a little softer by the fact that the Jennifer that died in Splatterhouse 1 is really a fake Jen and the real one is rescued from the bowels of Hell in Splatterhouse 2.

Dammit, all these people posting stuff and reminding me of my weaker movie-watching moments.

Might seem weird, but the ending to Lord of the Rings. I was just sad it ended, and it ended in such a beautiful way that I couldn't help but shed a tear.