Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Generations Impressions & Videos Thread

Agent York

it's more responsive with the d pad

Analog was like 2/10, dpad was maybe a 6/10, which is still bad no matter how you look at it. Trust, me I tried rolling at every instance. Uphill, Downhill, flat ground, through loops. It's just not reliable as it is. I went to at least 3 different booths to make sure I wasn't crazy. My first booth's controller was garbage, scaring me half to death. The others were better, but not too much. Sonic's movement itself was not awful, or even bad. Just heavy. I think it was a design choice given the one-shot buzzbomber shortcuts. I could live with it, but the rolling was always my fear, and it hurts that it's still not Sonic's main way of travel. Spin Dash is borderline broken though jeez. Even people who have been with the series as long as I have were shocked at it's power.

Oh another thing. There are speed shoes in classic GHZ, at a higher path towards the end. They do make him noticeably faster once in motion. Toward the final stretch toward the goal with the shoes you just rocket past the sign post. Another example is without the shoes speed, you cannot make the next upcoming jump, and fall on the lower path. Thats cool in design theory. Problem is, Sonic has the potential to reach such high speeds with the spin dash/jump combination, the increase isn't as drastic as it was in say Sonic 1. They could be tweaked, and I'm glad they're not forgotten!

Oh another a.d.d moment that sucks. Once Sonic pasts the signpost he automatically keeps going. You can't go back and jump over it for the hidden ribbons like in Sonic 1.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sami

• thatguyfrom03

• Agent York

• Ferno

Thatguyfrom03, I have a curious question? When he does the, "I'm outta here!" thing, does he speak? If so, is it the old CD voice clip or a new clip from Roger?

Edited by Dusk Golem

I've heard of those input lags, it might be just the TV. A friend of mine has a large LCD TV screen in his living room. I played Sonic Unleashed over there, at there were some input lag.

After getting so intamate with the corridors in GHZ, I wanna see thatguyfrom03's reaction to the new stuff we were all drooling over.

It will be like watching a small child freak out over his Christmas present :lol:

@ BlueBlurAustria, lag was not present in Modern, so its not the TVs. Classic doesn't lag anywhere else either, just the standard rolling command.

Edited by Voyant

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6rHJleaAvg

Going to post the other videos in the Sonic General chat if you want to see them. These are from my friend, SonicBoom7 (BoyleVoices). He's got more coming.

EDIT:

This video has the full versions of Green Hill Classic and Modern from Generations if you want to hear it.

Edited by Dusk Golem

Just saw parts of city escape for. Holy crap. Hyped for both. Truly City Escape as I imagined it, and how it should have been in the first place.

As I'm sure you noticed in the gameplay videos, the player how no problems getting Classic Sonic to go somewhere, and I want to assure you that he will go where you tell him. The faster you move the farther you jump, even without holding the dpad. The only thing noticeably off is his rolling. The stage design is accommodated to his weight and bounce height and you will adjust to those differences.

Don't even sweat Modern. That stage is huge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmGyLyZORI0

Live performances of the new City Escape remixes for Generations.

EDIT: Am I crazy, or does City Escape remix Endless Mine from Sonic 3 at about 1 minute in?

Also, first gameplay video from Sonic Boom of the actual demo:

Edited by Dusk Golem
  • Thumbs Up 1

So Classic Sonic's spinning is a bit derpy at the moment? I'm optimistic about this, they still have plenty of time to mess with Classic gameplay and fix it. The heavier jumping doesn't really bother me, especially if the stages are designed with that in mind.

Just saw parts of city escape for. Holy crap. Hyped for both. Truly City Escape as I imagined it, and how it should have been in the first place.

As I'm sure you noticed in the gameplay videos, the player how no problems getting Classic Sonic to go somewhere, and I want to assure you that he will go where you tell him. The faster you move the farther you jump, even without holding the dpad. The only thing noticeably off is his rolling. The stage design is accommodated to his weight and bounce height and you will adjust to those differences.

Don't even sweat Modern. That stage is huge.

Wait, so your saying what we saw of C. Sonic's City Escape avoids all the problems you mentioned, other than the rolling, which I'd assume should be fixed later on in development?

Badass. Hype jacked up to 120% again.

Edited by Dissident

I desperately need to see Crush 40's performance of Sonic Boom.

Third part coming soon with Sonic Boom in it very soon.

Edited by Dusk Golem

awell from talking to a friend of mine he says that its feels like classic Soni...but just altered...to be honest thesechanges are normal...all of Sonics control methods made slight changes in each game...as long as the level design is bult around the new jump then there is no issues.

In other words...i aint trippin about it too much..its been a reaccuring thing back in the past as well.

I desperately need to see Crush 40's performance of Sonic Boom.

This, a thousand times THIS!

Did Crush 40 sing the M. Sonic mix of City Escape? That's the one we couldn't here in the gameplay vids, so I really want to see that.

Edit: God, I'm getting chills listening to that City Escape performance. It just puts a huge, stupid grin on my face thinking about how I could have been in that crowd, singing right along with all of them. Guess it's singing at my computer for me tonight.

Edited by Dissident
  • Thumbs Up 2

This information doesn't leave this forum.

So much fodder for the "Sonic is dead" guys. ._.

Sega... just, fix this.

I don't know about information not leaving this forum. Sonic Retro are pretty vocal about it.

So the general consensus is just that rolling is shit and needs reworking, but everything else is fine?

I don't know about information not leaving this forum. Sonic Retro are pretty vocal about it.

So the general consensus is just that rolling is shit and needs reworking, but everything else is fine?

Guess it's singing at my computer for me tonight.

Edited by Sega DogTagz

Wait, so your saying what we saw of C. Sonic's City Escape avoids all the problems you mentioned, other than the rolling, which I'd assume should be fixed later on in development?

Badass. Hype jacked up to 120% again.

Gotta love copy pasta.

Back from event. Will write detail report later.

Game is fun. Rolling is still off for Classic. Doesn't pick up speed. Jumping is closer to classics but slightly heavier. New way to spin dash is pretty cool after you learn how to cancel.Overall a big improvement over previous efforts. Didn't try Modern too much but plays like Unleashed aside from a few changes.

P.S: Demo coming to PSN/XBLA soon.

Live performances of the new City Escape remixes for Generations.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Bad Quality Post 20

They actually managed to make the song sound even more gay than it already was..

• Thumbs Up 5