Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

Meh, I'm not too concerned unless they force me to buy "Nintendo brand" SD cards. Nintendo games don't usually take up much space, it'd be the third party titles that would be really taxing on the memory. This console better be in the $250 range for me to feel like I'm not being ripped off just a little.

Despite the flaws I'm still insanely excited for this console. It's the first Nintendo console launch where I actually want 4 games instead of just 1 or 2.

• Thumbs Up 1

Considering it's SD cards, I figure that would be hard to do. But, they haven't used propriety storage since Gamecube, so I suppose they're with the times on that.

Edited by King Of Awesome

The only solace I take in this predicament is that at least there don't seem to be mandatory installs.

The problem though is as time goes on, especially with MS and Sony announcing their stuff next year, all what they have to do is say 'Standard HD size is 100GB' (even then I think we should really be expecting 500GB-1TB for the next gen stuff) and they're won. Devs will love this because it means they've got some breathing space when it comes to reducing load times and other... things...

What was the biggest reason S0L/Sumo gave for the Wii not getting the death egg track on ASR? Well two reasons. 1 The Wiiware store wasn't as good as the PSN/XBLA. 2: The file size for that download would mean that it would have to rely on the Wii owner having paid for additional storage since it would use so much of the original memory that came with it.

Heres another issue... Patches... This is going to be a big issue for development in the future. You can expect the next Xbox and Playstation to have large HD sizes at launch especially with their digital networks already up and running, heck rumor is MS want a totally digital system (isn't gonna happen).

Back to patches.

How many times have you bought a game, only to find theres a patch on day 1? How large is that patch? Usually it's around 60MB right? Yet I own some games which are much larger, Space Marine is one which breaks the 1GB barrier. Theres definately more games out there which have patches that are in the several hundreds of MB, not sure how many break the 1GB mark but I wouldn't be surprised if theres more.

So patch size, add on top of that DLC sizes, something that FPS will have a lot of... How long before you either run out of space... or... and I've not know this to happen yet. The game has more DLC + Patches than the Wii-U has default storage for?

• Thumbs Up 2

SDHC? Not too bad, a 32 GB one is 19 dollars on Amazon (compare to 80 dollars for a Vita card of the same size). External HD? Gonna set someone back 35-40 (for 120 GB). A bit painful, though still far better than the price of Vita's memory cards.

And thank fucking god for that. One can only imagine the rage that would ensue if they went the Vita route.

... Would I be judged negatively if I said that I still wish to acquire this console?

Of course not, despite some very questionable decisions about the Hardware and Nintendo, the Wii-U is looking to be a fine console, and the launch games look pretty good too!

The patches issue IS a problem, I don't know how Nintendo is going to handle that. They're anal about games actually working on the way out the door but, the way game development is these days, it would hurt their support.

This thing better be cheap, what with all the corners they seem to be cutting.

I'm not really sure if it will be that cheap considering the controller.

It has to be expensive to make.

I'd rather buy an external HD or a relatively cheap SD card, to be perfectly honest, rather than pay more money out of the box for the console having a HD that can't be used with anything else.

And why is everyone talking about this leak like it's certainly legit? For all we know it could be wrong.

I'd rather buy an external HD or a relatively cheap SD card, to be perfectly honest, rather than pay more money out of the box for the console having a HD that can't be used with anything else.

And why is everyone talking about this leak like it's certainly legit? For all we know it could be wrong.

Whether it's real or not, we're mainly discussing the lack of a hard drive, which has been known about since the console was revealed anyway.

There's probably only 8GB, because most people won't need tons of space as they'll only be using it to save games. 8 is enough for a game or two to be on it and external hard drives and SD Cards are cheap.

There's also the multiple SKUs we saw. One of them might have an external drive bundled.

The US price will be revealed. We've known that for a while now.

I know that about the US. This is a UK article, and it says both events. It starts out talking about the UK and Europe, too. Also, RRP is a UK/EU term. MSRP is the US one.

So we're just expecting price and release date info, correct? I really don't understand why some places on the internet go bat shit insane with hype when we know it will be out before Christmas, and we know it will be around $300 (at least in the US anyway) anyway.

These Nintendo Direct things are cool, but I don't find myself getting hyped for them because I hardly ever think the announcements are anything that great.

Ok, it seems CVG must have got mixed up. It's Nintendo Japan that's today announced that they're giving details of the price and release date tomorrow, not NOA or NOE. NOJ is going to have their own separate Nintendo Direct at 8am UK time (7 hours before the NOA and NOE ones) tomorrow.

http://www.officialn...-date-tomorrow/

• Thumbs Up 1

Soooo Thursday for us is friday for them right? Why wait so late for the important information? Makes you wonder.....

The patches issue IS a problem, I don't know how Nintendo is going to handle that. They're anal about games actually working on the way out the door but, the way game development is these days, it would hurt their support.

As long as they don't handle it like Skyward Sword, I'm hoping for a normal XBL/PSN update method.

8GB of flash memory? Even the fucking PSP Go had twice that 3 years ago. I knew they were going to be ass backwards with it, but I figured they would at least give something like 32GB.

Should we place bets on how big the file size restrictions for downloadable content will be?

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 5

Should we place bets on how big the file size restrictions for downloadable content will be?

Oh fuck, I hadn't thought of that. I really hope they don't put stupid file size restrictions on downloadable content this time around.

8GB of flash memory? Even the fucking PSP Go had twice that 3 years ago. I knew they were going to be ass backwards with it, but I figured they would at least give something like 32GB.

To be fair, the PSP Go was a download-only handheld. They kind of needed 16 gb otherwise people would be out of space within a week.

The 3DS writes all of its games to the included SD card, which can be replaced with a larger storage size SD card.

This uses internal memory that can't be switched out. I don't think it's unrealistic to expect limitations.

But it accepts SD Cards. Technically speaking, the 3DS actually has only 1.5 GB available storage. You need a SD card to store even a single download version of a retail game.

Edited by King Of Awesome