Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

Then why bring up your thoughts about the 3DS supposedly peaking and "being in trouble" in this thread to begin with?

Then why bring up your thoughts about the 3DS supposedly peaking and "being in trouble" in this thread to begin with?

Because Canderson asked what those handheld numbers meant.

You also never answered my question, by the way.

• Thumbs Up 1

Actually I did, but apparently it wasn't the way you wanted it. Hang on, which question are we talking about?

Still why not just reply to his request in the 3Ds thread?

Actually I did, but apparently it wasn't the way you wanted it. Hang on, which question are we talking about?

Still why not just reply to his request in the 3Ds thread?

... I only ever asked one question. Where did you hear that PS4 supplies are not constrained in Japan?

And because he asked here, not in the 3DS thread.

Funny how this thread is getting more attention to these topics than the two that would be appropriate to this conversation. XD I'm guilty as a charged for continuing the madness.

Funny how this thread is getting more attention to these topics than the two that would be appropriate to this conversation. XD I'm guilty as a charged for continuing the madness.

To be fair they are somewhat relevant. 3DS sales talk for general Nintendo finances and PS4 for comparison to another major console.

Not that we should have full discussions about them or anything but I don't see any harm in commenting on general sales. Then again I'm not a mod so maybe I'm just wrong.

... I only ever asked one question. Where did you hear that PS4 supplies are not constrained in Japan?

And because he asked here, not in the 3DS thread.

Hasn't stopped the mods from getting on my case when I replied about the 3DS here.

Anyway, aha, now I see what question you're talking about. If you'd like something to quote, here: http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2014/02/22/launch-day-ps4-stock-readily-available-in-japan/ 

The Wii U has more attractive games at the moment, that's why it's doing better than the PS4 over there. Once more games that the Japanese will like come out on PS4, it's sales will go up. It's also just Japan, everywhere else the Wii U isn't doing so well. It got a small boost from DK last month selling somewhere around 80k consoles, but it's really nothing compared to the PS4's 200k+ a month

The Wii U has more attractive games at the moment, that's why it's doing better than the PS4 over there. Once more games that the Japanese will like come out on PS4, it's sales will go up. It's also just Japan, everywhere else the Wii U isn't doing so well. It got a small boost from DK last month selling somewhere around 80k consoles, but it's really nothing compared to the PS4's 200k+ a month

The problem is that it's not even a remotely fair comparison. They're not saying that the Wii U sold more than the PS4 this month (which because of it being a launch month would be biased towards PS4 anyway), they're saying that the Wii U sold more in it's first three weeks than the PS4 did.

Okay, that's a perfectly fine comparison under normal circumstances and all, but... one of them launched right before Christmas, and the other in the middle of February. Both Vita and Wii U had great sales before falling off a cliff in January and never picking back up. Christmas may not be as big there as it is here in the west, but it's not negligible. That IGN wrote such a sensationalist article is fucking embarrassing.

It's too early for a fair comparison in Japan. Comparing their third month on the market (Wii U's February vs. PS4's April) would be more fruitful.

Discoid, that Christmas example doesn't work. The Japanese don't celebrate Christmas consumerism like we do. The first three months of the year are closer to a consumer holiday to them.

Discoid, that Christmas example doesn't work. The Japanese don't celebrate Christmas consumerism like we do. The first three months of the year are closer to a consumer holiday to them.

Then why do sales always spike in December for just about everything?

ex-pats?

You mean everything on the western hemisphere. The Japanese Christmas season doesn't have any real spikes because of some big marketting push, it's just coincidental to whatever is released around that time. Say a Dragon Quest game was released around that period; sales would jump just because it is a high profile game that attracts the Japanese. They're the kind of people who won't buy a system unless it has something they want. When it has something they want, even if it is just one game they'll jump all over that.

You mean everything on the western hemisphere. The Japanese Christmas season doesn't have any real spikes because of some big marketting push, it's just coincidental to whatever is released around that time. Say a Dragon Quest game was released around that period; sales would jump just because it is a high profile game that attracts the Japanese. They're the kind of people who won't buy a system unless it has something they want. When it has something they want, even if it is just one game they'll jump all over that.

So like SMTXFE and X?

Alright... I'm no Japanese culture expert, so I'll take your word for it.

I'm still waiting for third month comparisons before I'll take a stance.

As far as I've seen, Christmas in Japan does result in big spikes for these kind of goods.

There always does seem to be a lot of high profile games released in Japan around Christmas time. If there isn't sales would probably be the same as any other month.

As far as I've seen, Christmas in Japan does result in big spikes for these kind of goods.

Because that's when most goods are sold, but the trends are not like ours. They don't give into the Christmas gift giving celebration like we do. It's just another release date to them and they line up for it. 

I bet you if PS4 released with KH3 or FFXIV on this release month it would've been the same as Christmas sales.

... I just realized, we have a Japanese native as one of our regular members here anyway. Why don't we just ask her?

Sending a PM.

Because that's when most goods are sold, but the trends are not like ours. They don't give into the Christmas gift giving celebration like we do. It's just another release date to them and they line up for it. 

I bet you if PS4 released with KH3 or FFXIV on this release month it would've been the same as Christmas sales.

I dont wanna ruin the thread but hes right. Christmas there is just like any other day. People still work and go to school. Its not as big as it is in America where its a national holiday and and people are on vacations. Plus people in Japan dont send cards and they dont reallt decorate except for the tree. Think of christmas in Japan as Americas "New Years" except people go to work and school as normal. Gift giving is also not like her where people can get like 20 presents. Kids there usually only get 1.

So as for gifts and the Wii U people over there get it because it realsed. If we are talking New Years in Japan which is a huge holiday then maybe sense people get more then 1 gift and we send cards etc. Sorry for derail the thread.

• Thumbs Up 5

I dont wanna ruin the thread but hes right. Christmas there is just like any other day. People still work and go to school. Its not as big as it is in America where its a national holiday and and people are on vacations. Plus people in Japan dont send cards and they dont reallt decorate except for the tree. Think of christmas in Japan as Americas "New Years" except people go to work and school as normal. Gift giving is also not like her where people can get like 20 presents. Kids there usually only get 1.

So as for gifts and the Wii U people over there get it because it realsed. If we are talking New Years in Japan which is a huge holiday then maybe sense people get more then 1 gift and we send cards etc. Sorry for derail the thread.

I stand corrected, then. Thanks.

By New Years, are you referring to January? Or the Chinese New Year?