Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

It depends on the content. Technically it can, but so can the PS3 and 360. The only retail games rendered natively at 1080p are, as far as I recall, Rayman Legends and Wind Waker HD. There might be one or two others I'm forgetting, but I don't think so. Everything else is 720p, including Donkey Kong, both Mario games, Pikmin 3, etc. Smash is also 1080p, but I don't think any other upcoming game is.

I think it's possible that MK8 might be 1080p. I mean, it makes sense for a racing game to be as clear as possible. But who knows, could be they'll just go with 720p. I'd still buy the game, it's just that 1080p would be really nice along with MK8's visuals and 60fps.

Edit: I didn't see Blacklightning's post. Awesome, native 1080p for MK8.

Btw, what happens when native 720p games are upscaled to 1080p? I'm not really an expert on this stuff yet. I've noticed that SLW and SM3DW have some kind of pixelation (or whatever that's called) when I have my Wii U set to 1080p.

I think it's possible that MK8 might be 1080p. I mean, it makes sense for a racing game to be as clear as possible. But who knows, could be they'll just go with 720p. I'd still buy the game, it's just that 1080p would be really nice along with MK8's visuals and 60fps.

Edit: I didn't see Blacklightning's post. Awesome, native 1080p for MK8.

Btw, what happens when native 720p games are upscaled to 1080p? I'm not really an expert on this stuff yet. I've noticed that SLW and SM3DW have some kind of pixelation (or whatever that's called) when I have my Wii U set to 1080p.

I wouldn't be too excited for MK8 at 1080p. It's already 60fps and judging from both the screenshots (all screenshots are only 720p) and actual fidelity of the game (looks more detailed than 3D World, which was 720p), it's unlikely.

The pixelation is called "aliasing". It's what happens when your TV receives an input lower than its native resolution and has to stretch the pixels to fill the screen. It's like taking an image in Photoshop and enlarging it - detail is lost and depending on how much bigger you have to make the image (720p x 2.5 = 1080p), it could look really bad.

• Thumbs Up 1

Nowadays, uniform scaling (aka same ratio like 720 -> 1080) will notably blur the image.

If you're seeing "pixelization" it's most likely because the method they used for antialiasing -that is, removing the jagged edges in polygonal rendering- is insufficient, which happens to be the case for SM3dW. Rescaling the picture then makes it worse.

Ah okay, thanks for that. Guess I know now why the Xbox 360 is so damn pixally.

The aliasing in SM3DW isn't as bad as some other games, bit it's still a bit frustrating. It's not a huge problem though, so I won't change my picture mode. I'm really hoping that MK8 will be a native 1080p though, I know that it's not as powerful as the other two systems but it should be able to run MK8's visuals at a steady 60fps and 1080p. Last I checked, showing off what your hardware can do is a good thing.

Bayonetta 2 runs 1080p iirc.

Does it? I don't recall seeing any native 1080p screenshots, and it doesn't look nearly simplistic enough to render at that resolution at 60fps. I'd be surprised.

Smash Bros. had new screens posted on Facebook once and they weren't 1080p.

Right, and Mario Kart 8 had 1080p screenshots never, so I'm not convinced. I'm just saying, don't be surprised when it isn't.

Hell, I'll do an avatar bet over it.

I dunno if it was posted anywhere else in the forum, but it was confirmed that One Piece: Unlimited Adventure Red will be releasing for the west. For Wii U, 3DS, Vita, and PS3.

Unfortunately North America only has physical copies for the PS3 and 3DS version. Huge disappointment (smart though), since this means I'm just not picking the Wii U version up. You Brits do get physical and digital across all platforms though.

Find it kind of odd that it's getting physical copies in the US at all. Ah well, I'll probably get the Wii U version regardless.

Find it kind of odd that it's getting physical copies in the US at all. Ah well, I'll probably get the Wii U version regardless.

Don't question it, just be thankful the gods blessed us with this.

Also Romance Dawn was given an extremely limited print (lower than Unlimited Wii, about 1500 or some crazy number) to gauge interest and that sold out day 1.

I really hope it isn't a short print like Unlimited Adventure was, as a poor man I wasn't able to purchase either that or the previously mentioned Romance Dawn 3DS (although I do hear it isn't really good regardless)

Don't question it, just be thankful the gods blessed us with this.

Also Romance Dawn was given an extremely limited print (lower than Unlimited Wii, about 1500 or some crazy number) to gauge interest and that sold out day 1.

I really hope it isn't a short print like Unlimited Adventure was, as a poor man I wasn't able to purchase either that or the previously mentioned Romance Dawn 3DS (although I do hear it isn't really good regardless)

Isn't Romance Dawn on the 3DS eshop? Couldn't you just purchase it there?

Isn't Romance Dawn on the 3DS eshop? Couldn't you just purchase it there?

Yeah it is, but I just feel like I'm not really "experiencing" the game unless I own the box and junk. I only have a few select franchises I like to have physical and One Piece is one of them.

Although the shitty distribution of the games in the US leaves me with none (Waiting to import the Pirate Warrior games, but import prices are so high on Amazon). You'd think Nambai would have learned that there is an audience for One Piece games in the US.

I mean I guess the digital only stance on the Wii U and Vita makes sense this time. Y'know since the Wii U sells like shit and the Vita even worse, with the admittedly small niche of Americans who buy anime based games.

Oh, is that a sequel to those 3DS games from a while back? Unlikely Crew DX or something...?

I actually bought both of 'em and I can't remember the names. Some One Piece fan I am! :V

Hmm. If it is like those ones, then I'll definitely pick it up!

Oh, is that a sequel to those 3DS games from a while back? Unlikely Crew DX or something...?

I actually bought both of 'em and I can't remember the names. Some One Piece fan I am! :V

Hmm. If it is like those ones, then I'll definitely pick it up!

It's more like console up-ports of a 3DS game. And Crew DX is part of the Unlimited series as well, so yeah it's like a sequel. Pretty sure the US never got it so it's hard to keep up :c

Yeah, the last one the US got was Unlimited Adventure; the very first one on the Wii.

Man I really wish I had gotten that while it was still new here, I saw it in the store maybe one time and then never saw it again (might just have to settle for a copy on amazon).

Also, YES FINALLY, I was starting to lose hope that namco would port unlimited R over here but i've been proven wrong again (just like with romance dawn) namco really does know how to cater to its fanbases well thats for sure and i'll be sure to pick up a copy of this when it comes out on 3DS.

Man I really wish I had gotten that while it was still new here, I saw it in the store maybe one time and then never saw it again (might just have to settle for a copy on amazon).

Man do you really wanna pay $100 for one game?

On another subject, wasn't it confirmed that the guys behind Wii U chat are working on upgrading the chat system? It really needs to become a background app that you can use in game....

Man do you really wanna pay $100 for one game?

Its at least 60 bucks used right now so I might just get it later on when I get the money (plus if you've ever seen the prices for megaman legends 2 and the misadventure of tron bonne, 100 dollars would seem like loose change when compared to those).

They didn't have one already? I would have thought that they had one by now.

Nintendo's Oceania department is pretty weak in comparison to the rest of the world. In fact, I'm not even sure it existed until recently considering NoE (in Germany) actually handled all the things there for the longest time.

I know that we in Europe have spent a lot of time complaining about Nintendo's treatment of us, but as far as I know it was always even worse in the Australia/NZ region.