Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

So this is happening in Italy. Why would they cancel a game that they are 3 months from release for? Are WiiU sales for Ubisoft's other games so bad they see no reason to ev

Well, Ubisoft has been rather underhanded lately, I mean they did remove Rayman Legends exclusivity, which is part of a the reason it bombed pretty bad 

Well, Ubisoft has been rather underhanded lately, I mean they did remove Rayman Legends exclusivity, which is part of a the reason it bombed pretty bad 

Let's not kid ourselves, it would have bombed ten times worse as an exclusive.

Can't say I'm surprised about Watch_Dogs. Does that now mean there's not a single game coming out in 2013 being published by someone not named Nintendo? As far as we know so far, anyway?

Apparently pre-orders for it have been cancelled in Spain as well.

Italy and Spain? Yeah this isn't gonna end well.

Oh Wii U.

Can't say I'm surprised about Watch_Dogs. Does that now mean there's not a single game coming out in 2013 being published by someone not named Nintendo? As far as we know so far, anyway?

During the early months of the U when it had no competition, even from other consoles? The Wii U version did best anyways, so most people expected it as a U game.

Dunno man, during the delay it lost tons of Nintendo purchases and in the end still sold best on Wii U, it would have sold way more on Wii U without the delay.. make of that what you will.

In any case this wouldn't be a surprising development but it would be depressing, the Wii U would literally be losing its last big third party game.

• Thumbs Up 9

During the early months of the U when it had no competition, even from other consoles? The Wii U version did best anyways, so most people expected it as a U game.

So you're saying that the Wii U's early audience alone would have earned Ubisoft more sales more than the PS3, 360, Vita, and PC combined? If not, then my statement stands. The game bombed and would have bombed worse had it been exclusive.

Anyway, just looked it up - Project Cars and LEGO The Hobbit aren't being published by Nintendo, so... I guess there's those. That's it for third party though.

If Watch_Dogs Wii U is cancelled, that's pretty fucking dumb. Not because of losing a game, but that's a lot of money down the drain

The SSMB Wii U topic: if you're enjoying the console and have any optimism for it, well then what's wrong with you.

Just a load of bad news followed by a little bit of good news followed by hopes and dreams crushed by sermons about impending doom and technical infidelity.

Looks like I've got a while until good news is on the way. :P

• Thumbs Up 9

So you're saying that the Wii U's early audience alone would have earned Ubisoft more sales more than the PS3, 360, Vita, and PC combined? If not, then my statement stands. The game bombed and would have bombed worse had it been exclusive.

Anyway, just looked it up - Project Cars and LEGO The Hobbit aren't being published by Nintendo, so... I guess there's those. That's it for third party though.

Sure, initially it would've been smaller, but the Wii U sales would've been higher than they are now, and then later down the line Ubisoft could've made the ports after the Wii U's initial hype was exploited. But it stands that it would've fared better if it initially released as exclusive.
  • Thumbs Up 1

So, Ubisoft not only decides to delay Rayman Legends and make it a Wii U-not exclusive, but now it cancels the Wii U version of Watch_Dogs?

That's not... Really smart, I guess.

I personally prefer 60fps over anything else in every case, resolution isn't that big a deal to me - I have a 1680*1050 monitor, and I really don't see any of my games looking any better at a higher res.

They're also substantially more expensive. Are you expecting fully realized virtual reality at $400 in 2014?

What, as part of a console? Hell no. But I sincerely doubt gamers won't be willing to pay extra for a VR headset if it's quality is proven. Though the only thing we've seen for consoles so far is Sony's crappy little attempt at a VR headset that's not even remotely comparable to the Rift.

There are probably better ways to formulate your point than by using logical fallacies. 

They definitely both have potential, but I'll believe a modicum of what you've said when I've used them myself and have seen them actually being used meaningfully.

In the case of the Rift, I have seen almost nothing but praise for the thing, especially with the newest revisions that iron out the kinks, the latest revision shown, Crystal Cove, is apparently amazing (and Valve's own demo prototype is apparently even better). Developers all over the PC scene are eager to get their hands on the Rift and develop for it (and there are already games being developed entirely around the Rift, such as EVE Valkyrie), and plenty of other stuff is being designed around usage with the Rift, such as omnidirectional treadmills, the Sixsense STEM motion sensing tech (which puts any other motion controller to shame), and other neat pieces of kit. It's not the holodeck yet, but it's interesting to see these people trying to create the best VR experiences at an affordable price. Once the second dev kit is available, I'll get around to ordering one when I have the money, as long as the quality is close to what we're gonna get in the consumer version.

As for the Steam Controller, while the reception is a bit more mixed, that's because Valve actually wants as much feedback as possible to refine it, and I don't see it not becoming a standard PC controller, what with the Steam Machines push that Valve are undertaking, along with its rather hardcore and daring push to try and make Lunix the next big gaming OS to surpass Windows.

He makes a VERY good point about that for who ever said that's the next true next gen. It'll fail, just like 3D tv did. Anytime you have to put on extra stuff to enjoy something it never catches on. People are lazy by default after work. If it isn't going to be as simple as tv.... it's not going to work.

Not the same thing. 3D TV/cinema's problem is the glasses, which can be problematic for any number of reasons, and people just don't like wearing them.

The Oculus Rift, on the other hand, has been getting widespread support from consumers and developers alike, absolutely nothing but positive press and excitement. The Crystal Cove revision ticks nearly all of the required boxes, and Valve is pushing VR as one of the next big things as well. Yes, you have to wear a headset, but until we get a proper holodeck, for something as high-quality as the Rift, wearing the headset is a reasonable compromise, and I sincerely doubt consumers would complain about that. 3D content has been around for decades and has failed to wow anyone, the Oculus Rift is new, unique and nothing like anything consumers have ever seen before - when the word of how awesome it is gets around, regular consumers will gladly ignore the incredibly minor inconvenience of wearing a headset to experience it.

The SSMB Wii U topic: if you're enjoying the console and have any optimism for it, well then what's wrong with you.

Just a load of bad news followed by a little bit of good news followed by hopes and dreams crushed by sermons about impending doom and technical infidelity.

Looks like I've got a while until good news is on the way. tongue.png

Sorry, lol. I'm not particularly happy to see them fail so hard either. Really hope they make it out of this gen healthy enough to keep trying.

Sure, initially it would've been smaller, but the Wii I sales would've been higher, and then later down the line Ubisoft could've made the ports after the Wii U's initial hype was exploited. But it stands that it would've fared better if it initially released as an exclusive.

Ah, okay. Sure, then.

What, as part of a console? Hell no. But I sincerely doubt gamers won't be willing to pay extra for a VR headset if it's quality is proven. Though the only thing we've seen for consoles so far is Sony's crappy little attempt at a VR headset that's not even remotely comparable to the Rift.

Wait, we've seen Sony's? 

... Uh, I just looked it up, and it's still in an early prototype phase. Writing it off a little early, no? Unless I missed some crucial information all we know about it thus far is that it had a prototype simulating a theater experience and that it's been stated by Sony to be a Rift competitor in the future. 

What's "crappy" about it, exactly? Other than being early in development?

Don't know if anyone posted this yet but there's some rumors going around.

Technical specifications for Nintendo’s next generation home console, and possibly their handheld, have apparently leaked online. We already heard a rumour on NeoGAF last week that Nintendo already started working on a brand new platform in early 2013 which is presumably a handheld device. Today’s leaked specifications are for two units called Nintendo Fusion DS and Terminal and should be taken with a grain of salt at this moment in time.

FUSION DS

• CPU: ARMv8-A Cortex-A53 GPU: Custom Adreno 420-based AMD GPU

• COM MEMORY: 3 GB LPDDR3 (2 GB Games, 1 GB OS)

• 2 130 mm DVGA (960 x 640) Capacitive Touchscreen

• Slide Out Design with Custom Swivel Tilt Hinge

• Upper Screen made of Gorilla Glass, Comes with Magnetic Cover

• Low End Vibration for Gameplay and App Alerts

• 2 Motorized Circle Pads for Haptic Feedback

• Thumbprint Security Scanner with Pulse Sensing Feedback

• 2 1mp Stereoptic Cameras

• Multi-Array Microphone

• A, B, X, Y, D-Pad, L, R, 1, 2 Buttons

• 3 Axis Tuning Fork Gyroscope, 3 Axis Accelerometer, Magnetometer

• NFC Reader

• 3G Chip with GPS Location

• Bluetooth v4.0 BLE Command Node used to Interface with Bluetooth Devices such as Cell Phones, Tablets

• 16 Gigabytes of Internal Flash Storage (Possible Future Unit With 32 Gigbytes)

• Nintendo 3DS Cart Slot

• SDHC “Holographic Enhanced” Card Slot up to 128 Gigabyte Limit

• Mini USB I/O

• 3300 mAh Li-Ion battery

FUSION TERMINAL

• GPGPU: Custom Radeon HD RX 200 GPU CODENAME LADY (2816 shaders @ 960 MHz, 4.60 TFLOP/s, Fillrates: 60.6 Gpixel/s, 170 Gtexel/s)

• CPU: IBM 64-Bit Custom POWER 8-Based IBM 8-Core Processor CODENAME JUMPMAN (2.2 GHz, Shared 6 MB L4 cache)

• Co-CPU: IBM PowerPC 750-based 1.24 GHz Tri-Core Co-Processor CODENAME HAMMER

• MEMORY: 4 Gigabytes of Unified DDR4 SDRAM CODENAME KONG, 2 GB DDR3 RAM @ 1600 MHz (12.8 GB/s) On Die CODENAMED BARREL

• 802.11 b/g/n Wireless

• Bluetooth v4.0 BLE

• 2 USB 3.0

• 1 Coaxial Cable Input

• 1 CableCARD Slot

• 4 Custom Stream-Interface Nodes up to 4 Wii U GamePads or 4 DSc

• Versions with Disk Drive play Wii U Optical Disk (4 Layers Maximum), FUSION Holographic Versatile Disc (HVD) and Nintendo 3DS Card Slot.

• 1 HDMI 2.0 1080p/4K Port

• Dolby TrueHD 5.1 or 7.1 Surround Sound

• Inductive Charging Surface for up to 4 FUSION DS or IC-Wii Remote Plus Controllers

• Two versions: Disk Slot Version with 60 Gigs of Internal Flash Storage and Diskless Version with 300 Gigs of Internal Flash Storage.

http://mynintendonews.com/2014/01/21/rumoured-next-gen-nintendo-specs-leak-online/

Yeah, nice try whoever came up with these specs and codenames. XD I mean, these ones in particular, seriously...

MEMORY: 4 Gigabytes of Unified DDR4 SDRAM CODENAME KONG, 2 GB DDR3 RAM @ 1600 MHz (12.8 GB/s) On Die CODENAMED BARREL

If there ever was an Expansion Pak for the Fusion, it should be codenamed...

db3.jpg

• Thumbs Up 4

3GB of ram on a handheld.

Automatically bullshit.

Well, the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (a phablet, granted, but still) has 3GB of RAM, so this is not completely out of the realm of possibility, I guess.

The PS Vita only has 512MB of RAM. Good luck getting Nintendo to pump out handheld hardware with any more than that for the next 6 years.

Wait, we've seen Sony's? 

... Uh, I just looked it up, and it's still in an early prototype phase. Writing it off a little early, no? Unless I missed some crucial information all we know about it thus far is that it had a prototype simulating a theater experience and that it's been stated by Sony to be a Rift competitor in the future. 

What's "crappy" about it, exactly? Other than being early in development?

It's pretty much an expensive Sony HMZ headset that's already on the market with an accelerometer strapped to it. If Sony were actually serious about it being a Rift competitor, it would have a 110 degree FOV, proper head-tracking, and a bunch of other stuff. There are rumors that Sony are working on something more serious, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Well it's the first showing ever of a product that's in early prototype stages. Believe when you see it, sure, but writing it off as "lame" is ridiculous when we haven't even gotten a good look at how it works with a game yet.

VR tech isn't something you can just make any headset for anymore - there's a reason why anything before the Oculus Rift wasn't considered remotely viable. At least 110 degrees FOV, low-latency headtracking (as of Crystal Cove, spacial headtracking as well), high quality screens, and more, that's the bar that the Rift set, and anything less isn't a remotely worthy competitor in terms of VR for games, you'll end up with a vastly inferior experience. And to get the experience right, the software side of things has to be just right, otherwise you run into a whole myriad of problems.

Sony had plenty of time to come up with something as good if not better than the Rift, and that's all they have to show? 'Underwhelming' would be putting it lightly.

Anyhow, this is getting off-topic. My original point was focused more on improving on the status quo when it comes to game input rather than VR, though VR is a nice optional bonus provided that it's actually done right. As for game input, Valve has pretty much proven that the now-standard dualshock/360 format can be built on and improved without killing backwards compatibility, it's a shame that nobody's making similar attempts.

Speaking of Steam Controllers, will that be able to be purchased separately or do you have to buy one of their shitboxes with it?