Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

And trust me, on a 1080p screen it's much better to have that then 60 FPS

I completely disagree. I'll take a lower resolution with a higher framerate over higher resolution with crappy (or mediocre) framerate. As someone who actually PC games, 60FPS can make a huge difference in popular genres such as platforming, shooters, and racers.

Oh look, one screen is more graphically detailed. I don't give a shit! I want a game that plays and runs well. The difference in detail becomes unnoticeable once you start playing. 60fps vs 30fps is noticed instantly. Slight graphical enhancements are not.

• Thumbs Up 2

So apparently Nintendo's stock went back up in value a bit, reducing a bit of the damage done.

(Inb4 "it didn't mean anything")

I completely disagree. I'll take a lower resolution with a higher framerate over higher resolution with crappy (or mediocre) framerate. As someone who actually PC games, 60FPS can make a huge difference in popular genres such as platforming, shooters, and racers.

Oh look, one screen is more graphically detailed. I don't give a shit! I want a game that plays and runs well. The difference in detail becomes unnoticeable once you start playing. 60fps vs 30fps is noticed instantly. Slight graphical enhancements are not.

You can't seriously be suggesting that a pixel count boost of 1000 is not instantly noticeable... right?

What really happened is that news reporters just reported the initial stock drop and exaggerating what happened. You have to wait until the end of the day to see what the final stock value is. It was nothing close to what it was with the initial drop scare.

You can't seriously be suggesting that a pixel count boost of 1000 is not instantly noticeable... right?

If you compare screen next to screen, you will probably notice the increase of detail. If you're playing a game without even knowing what the resolution is, you're not going to care and not notice that "OH TIS ISNT 1080P". 720p is still a nice image quality. Especially for HDTVs. There's actually a chart that shows that increased resolution from farther distances really has no beneficial impact.

200ppdengleski.png

However, you jump into a game that's been nerfed to 30fps (Tomb Raider Xbox One), you're instantly going to notice how inferior it is.

Eh, not really no, it took me awhile to really see what that tomb raider comparison was about in the last page and its probably not something I would've noticed if no one pointed it out.

• Thumbs Up 6

Eh, not really no, it took me awhile to really see what that tomb raider comparison was about in the last page and its probably not something I would've noticed if no one pointed it out.

Yeah honestly. I was like... uh.. where's the difference.

Seconding Autosaver's claims about Framrate and how it becomes noticible with PC gaming.

My Monitor support 1920x1080, but I tend to play games at much lower resolutions for higher framrates.

Staring at a game is nice, but when I'm playing it, I prefer fluidity.

• Thumbs Up 7

I literally have no idea how to respond. The difference is clear as day to me, and after playing The Last of Us (720p) just last month it couldn't be more clear to me that 1080p is a necessity nowadays.

Either way, 1080p has been around for almost a decade now and has been the standard for televisions for several years. At least next time it'll be a standard on all the consoles, I guess. If not something higher.

• Thumbs Up 2

What you said is 1080p is a lot better than 720p, right?

But have you seen 60fps vs 30fps comparisons? 60fps looks lovely. It also helps with player input and eye coordination.

What size is your monitor?

32".

What you said is 1080p is a lot better than 720p, right?

But have you seen 60fps vs 30fps comparisons? 60fps looks lovely. It also helps with player input and eye coordination.

I'm aware of the difference, lol. I've gamed on PC, and displaying the TV's native resolution is absolutely a bigger priority than FPS. Both are important, mind you, but IQ is much more glaring.

What I'd have in a perfect world.

Lower (instead of max graphics, high or med) graphical detail with 1080p and 60fps

• Thumbs Up 1

I guess its just because I've never really had very high standards for screen resolution, especially since I don't think I have looked at anything in 1080p much.

Lower (instead of max graphics, high or med) graphical detail with 1080p and 60fps

I'm honestly kind of surprised Donkey Kong and Mario aren't built like this, but I guess they don't have much wiggle room with the specs.

59674.png

get out of the stone age you casual

The problem with subnative resolution is that more often than not it blurs the scaled image and makes aliasing way more noticeable. That, along with the loss in texture definition can impact notably the IQ.

I don't mind a drop if it means 60fps tho. At least for the genres where it matters.

Also that resolution chart is bullshit.

• Thumbs Up 1

Upon thinking about it more I don't suppose we can agree that it depends on your setup? 

I've played at 60 FPS and I love it, and I've played games at native resolution and loved it. The thing about resolution though is that depending on your setup it can either be not very important or extremely important, and in my case, it's the most important fucking part, lol. I sit about five feet away from a 32" 1080p TV/monitor. Fluidity is great and I'll take it where I can get it, but I'd absolutely take solid IQ over an extra FPS count so long as the FPS stays at a steady 30 at least. Playing blown up games on this TV looks horrible, which is exactly why I haven't used my PC for games since I got it and won't until I upgrade my card. That said, games look better then ever on it when played at native res and I can't wait to finally upgrade my graphics card so I can play Bioshock on it.

To be honest I find 60fps way more important than 1080p at this point, even if I do think 1080p is dandy. Crisper is always better, yeah, but 720p isn't that much less crisp. You can tell the difference between 60 and 30 fps anytime, though, and it really does make all the difference.