Awoo.

Aliens: Court Marines - "I say we take Sega's money and Nuke the entire IP from orbit..."

Badnik Mechanic

Backwards compatability is a grosely over-hyped feature, it's just oxymoronic to buy a next gen console and then only play past gen games on it.

As opposed to a library of new games, I agree. But god damn it I want to have both.

Worth holding off on a Wii U until the all the new Nintendo franchise titles come along, though.

More developments for the Wii U in the pipeline? The new Sonic game perhaps? 

More developments for the Wii U in the pipeline? The new Sonic game perhaps? 

...Maybe ask in the Sega 2013 topic instead of Colonial Marines? I mean, like, with all due respect, I don't even know why of all places you came to this thread to ask that.

The Wii U has a rotten launch, but it has full backwards compatiblity INCLUDING digital purchases, and it doesn't require you to be always online.

It's got a great potential customer base with a potentially alienated Sony and Microsoft crowd.

I don't agree. Me and every other game system purchaser out there is waiting to see the other shoe drop and compare the next-gen systems to see which one really screws over the gamer in the long run. We will pick the lesser of two evils.

The Wii U isn't an alternative until Nintendo seriously sparks some magic like they have recently with stellar 3DS titles. The same old feel of their Wii titles (with the BIG exception of the Galaxy games) can't hit the Wii U in the same way or it will suffer greatly. 

It seems like the company "gets" handheld gaming to a tee but struggles to give today's console fans the voice chat and built in online features we want and even ability to play the next-gen games coming out without being seriously downgraded compared to its peers. 

...Maybe ask in the Sega 2013 topic instead of Colonial Marines? I mean, like, with all due respect, I don't even know why of all places you came to this thread to ask that.

...It might have to do with the fact the information came with the Aliens cancellation press release.

>Nintendo doesn't get voice chat

>Wii U Game Pad has built in Microphone and a separate headset jack. Voice chat supported in multiple games already, also has out of game video chat and voice messages.

Edited by Wreck-It Ralph
  • Thumbs Up 1

>Nintendo doesn't get voice chat

>Wii U Game Pad has built in Microphone and a separate headset jack. Voice chat supported in multiple games already, no Nintendo games with online yet, though.

That's my point, they don't seem to get it and no one has bothered figuring it out at this late point in time. They could easily patch it into the system if they wanted to stay competitive.

Your point is that they DO get it? Since, you know, Wii U has voice chat as a standard option. Shit, even Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate has voice chat through the gamepad. I don't know, man. They've figured it out. They figured it out late, but better late than never.

(I also find it funny that I did voice chat more on my Wii than PS3 thanks to City Folk with Wii Speak included.)

Edit: This should probably stop here, it really has nothing to do with Colonial Marines.

Edited by Wreck-It Ralph

Anyone fancy a 'Game Over, Man!' t-shirt for their 360 Avatar? Here, take it!

Male: 9VPTX-VWX9C-PXHK4-RD46W-PGKPZ

Female: 9VDVH-2DT9W-RJVRK-F7D4D-6RDVZ

Anyone fancy a 'Game Over, Man!' t-shirt for their 360 Avatar? Here, take it!

Male: 9VPTX-VWX9C-PXHK4-RD46W-PGKPZ

Female: 9VDVH-2DT9W-RJVRK-F7D4D-6RDVZ

Thanks! The female one is still available, though.

• 3 weeks later...

Did any of the trailers say something along the lines of 'this is a demo and subject to change.'

You know that disclaimer thing you get? If it did, then theres probably no case to answer, as shocking as that still is.

No, I don't think they had any disclaimers. SEGA only added a disclaimer in to all of their A:CM videos last month after they acknowledged the inaccuracies. 

So yeah, by they way this is going it's going to end badly for Sega. Of course it's kind of their fault, they should had canceled the game when they had the chance.

As for Gearbox I think they deserve this, they not only lied to to companies publishing the game but also lied to the consumers.  

If they cancelled it, they would've lost millions. That's something they really can't afford to do.

Besides, if GearBox showed that demo to SEGA and said that's what the game was going to be like, why cancel it? But that said, I don't know the full story, hopefully in the coming weeks we'll find out more.

Hope SEGA flip this shit on GearBox considering their giant part in this.

I would very much love for this to turn to Sega's favor. Though I honestly wonder where this leaves the rest of the DLC. I was interested in any potential campaign DLC as bad as the game is; only the Bug Hunt is out and it's now May, between now and August, they still need to release 3 add-ons.

I feel so sorry for those that bought the Season Pass, I always think back to when the woman at the counter asked if I wanted to buy the Season Pass; I clearly dodged the bullet.

lol oh yeah I forgot about the season pass... lol I wonder what DLC 2 is gonna be, theres only been 1 so far.

I don't think SEGA is to blame, because it's obviously all Gearbox's fault. They wasted ALL that money that SEGA gave them, millions of dollars that mostly went into making Borderlands 2. And the fact that the demo was completely different from the final game. I actually think SEGA should be the ones to sue Gearbox!

I don't think SEGA is to blame, because it's obviously all Gearbox's fault. They wasted ALL that money that SEGA gave them, millions of dollars that mostly went into making Borderlands 2. And the fact that the demo was completely different from the final game. I actually think SEGA should be the ones to sue Gearbox!

I don't think this is fair to say. While it was Gearbox's fault, Sega is still at fault for not keeping a good eye on their product.

That's just not good business. In fact, if we are to believe the rumors, Sega did find out at one point of how terrible the game was coming along and what Gearbox was doing, and yet they still decided to go forward,

I'm no law expert, but couldn't they have cancel the game, and then sue Gearbox for what they did and get some of the money back instead of trying to get it from consumers?

If this is what happened then at least to me Sega is as guilty as Gearbox.

• Thumbs Up 1

Better games than this have been cancelled midway through development, by all accounts.

You ever heard of the phrase "from bad to worse"...

http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/2/4293890/section-8-timegate-studios-aliens-colonial-marines-bankruptcy

"TimeGate Studios, the Sugar Land, Texas-based developer of Section 8 and co-developer of Aliens: Colonial Marines, filed a petition for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in Texas Southern Bankruptcy Court on Wednesday, according to court documents obtained by Polygon.

The petition filed by TimeGate lists less than 50 creditors owed money by the game developer and total liabilities ranging from $10 million to $50 million. TimeGate's top creditors include companies like Unreal Engine developer Epic Games, online game service Agora Games and transmedia developer DJ2 Entertainment. Creditors listed in court documents also include a local pizzeria, to whom TimeGate owes $34.80, and video game agency Birthplace Management Group, which is owed $20,539.20.

Also listed among TimeGate's chief creditors is Southpeak Interactive, publisher of the original Section 8, which is owed an "unknown" amount in a claim, but it is likely its most substantial liability. TimeGate Studios faces $7.35 million in damages and the loss of the Section 8 license as part of a fraud suit between itself and SouthPeak.

TimeGate sued Southpeak in 2009, claiming it had withheld royalties and failed to follow through with its responsibilities for localizing Section 8. SouthPeak countersued, claiming TimeGate hadn't invested enough of its own capital into the game's development, among other complaints. The two entered into arbitration with a third party, who ruled in favor of SouthPeak, awarding them $7.35 million in compensatory damages and full control of the Section 8 license — a decision which was overturned last March in a federal court.

In April, a U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit filed a decision to reverse and remand the prior federal ruling with instructions to reinstate the arbitration award for SouthPeak.

TimeGate Studios announced its current video game project, the blocky, minimalist PC shooter Minimum, in April. The developer's most recent release, the Gearbox co-developed Aliens: Colonial Marines, was recently the subject of a class action suit that alleged the game was falsely advertised.

Polygon left a message with TimeGate Studios seeking comment and will update with any information the developer offers."

Edited by -Bender-

Creditors listed in court documents also include a local pizzeria, to whom TimeGate owes $34.80,

Wait... theres a pizza place which doesn't ask for payment up front?

Where might one find this pizza place?

Wait... theres a pizza place which doesn't ask for payment up front?

Where might one find this pizza place?

People and especially businesses can have an order account where you run up a tab and pay later. Weird, but it does happen.

TimeGate probably sent them a trailer of their money, but the real thing never materialised.