Awoo.

Let's go out of the box for a minute.

Djawed

Sonic Generations means many good things for Sega. It won't be the insta-win for everyone, ala Sonic Colors' post reception, but it is yet another big step leap for Sonic in the right direction. Everything about it has a fresh aura about it, and the modern stages seem to have added some subtle tweaks to make everything flow smoother. I'm itching to see more of the game to get a better sense of its "flow", but I'm liking what I'm seeing. Thats my neutral take, anyway.

It has more of an identity now, this series. Not set in stone, but a confident one that this game ensures.

But what's the step/leap exactly? Have you ever seen how other franchises progress with each new istallment? Let's forget about the nostalgic aestethics for a minute. The m.sonic portions added a spindash animation to the boosting(wow). Level design with unleashed style gameplay is all about visual thrill so i have no doubt it won't vary gameplay wise to sonic unleashed except for different and maybe more awesome visual thrills. To get a better game from 2 years ago they could have at least improved some stuff. For me personally there were a lot of improvements in colors like how they slowed him a bit down so the trial and error factor was majorly dumbed down, so that's even a step back.

The classic sonic gameplay is all it's got to make it come off as a progression from 2 years ago. Yes that makes it a step, but imo it's a pretty small one. And there are acually things for me personally that could make them dissapointing as well but that's a whole other topic. All I know is that the classics are still great today for anyone that likes a good platformer. Sonic generations looks fun, but average fun as in not thriving to perfection. If that were the case the c.sonic portion would HAVE the physics they are "trying" to replicate.

I am a Big SEGA fan and it's not just all about sonic for me. SEGA has been doing very well quality wise with it's games lately and reading interviews of the developers makes it clear that their doing it with a lot of passion and love. PSO2 just got anounced and it looks greater then ever, but yet the developer says it still needs a lot of work.

Basically the sonic franchise is taking little steps while that shouldn't be nescesary. We get a cannon game each 2 years and all we got is like minor improvements which make sonic not enjoyable enough, to me at least.

Edited by Jaouad

But what's the step/leap exactly? Have you ever seen how other franchises progress with each new istallment? Let's forget about the nostalgic aestethics for a minute. The m.sonic portions added a spindash animation to the boosting(wow). Level design with unleashed style gameplay is all about visual thrill so i have no doubt it won't vary gameplay wise to sonic unleashed except for different and maybe more awesome visual thrills.

The classic sonic gameplay is all it's got to make it come off as a progression from 2 years ago. Yes that makes it a step, but imo it's a pretty small one. And there are acually things for me personally that could make them dissapointing as well but that's a whole other topic. All I know is that the classics are still great today for anyone that likes a good platformer. Sonic generations looks fun, but average fun as in not thriving to perfection. If that were the case the c.sonic portion would HAVE the physics they are "trying" to replicate.

I am a Big SEGA fan and it's not just all about sonic for me. SEGA has been doing very well quality wise with it's games lately and reading interviews of the developers makes it clear that their doing it with a lot of passion and love. PSO2 just got anounced and it looks greater then ever, but yet the developer says it still needs a lot of work.

Basically the sonic franchise is taking little steps while that shouldn't be nescesary. We get a cannon game each 2 years and all we got is like minor improvements which make sonic not enjoyable enough, to me at least.

Well like he said, everyone has different taste, and everyone has their own style. From a neutral standpoint, it looks no different than Unleashed, but from what I've got from the public(THe non-Sonic fans) Unleashed would've been awesome without the Werehog, and that's essentially what Generations is, so yeah I'd say it looks awesome.

Neutral? Welll... This game looks extremely promising, and will break for the third time the cursed Sonic Cycle that totally makes no sense. Thing is, SEGA had to do this.

Why?

It's not because SEGA wanted to say, "Sorriee 4 beeeng a deushbeg, u gais!" nor because it's friggin' Sonic's 20th birthday, and he deserves an awesome game with awesome effects and awesome, awesome, awesome.

Marketing.

Yep. That's the reason.

I think I'm honestly the ONLY one that thinks that SEGA's money went all over on Generations, and just wasted like fifty cents on StH4 and two bucks on Sonic Colours to troll, tease, and hint us Sonic fans that Generations was coming up soon. Reason why Sonic Colours was for the Nintendo Wii, and why Sonic 4 was below average. But that's just me and my conspiracy theories. But who knows? Maybe after this game is released, it'll be good enough to at least unite both fangroups, allowing them to release better games. Maybe Sonic Adventure 3 will appear...

Me? I'm REALLY excited for this game, I can't wait. I reserved it like a week ago, I think. And I don't even HAVE a PS3 or Xbox 360!!! I plan on getting it before Holiday '11. Hehehe...

Edited by Tatsumaki

I don't see why Nintendo can get away with releasing a game that's nothing more than a polished version of the predecessor, but if Sonic Team shows a game that looks even remotely like the last one, people complain about them not improving.

• Thumbs Up 5

I don't see why Nintendo can get away with releasing a game that's nothing more than a polished version of the predecessor, but if Sonic Team shows a game that looks even remotely like the last one, people complain about them not improving.

I personally disliked Galaxy 1. It was way too easy. I beat Luigi's story in like two, three hours or so. ALL the stars, that is.

I personally disliked Galaxy 1. It was way too easy. I beat Luigi's story in like two, three hours or so. ALL the stars, that is.

How good at games are you? I'm still stuck on Luigi's Purple Coins. And you know what I did? I gave up on that shit. I mean, the only thing beating the coin missions was gonna do was make me play the entire campaign all over again. You can screw that, Nintendo. <<;;

Anyhoo, it's very difficult for me to take a neutral stance on this game because my outright favorite genre is the platformer. It's most of what I played growing up and it's generally what I still buy whenever a company tosses me a decent bone. I will happily dabble in other genres, particularly shooters, but I'm most comfortable running and jumping on stuff, so regardless of how I look at it I'm buying this game come November.

How good at games are you? I'm still stuck on Luigi's Purple Coins. And you know what I did? I gave up on that shit. I mean, the only thing beating the coin missions was gonna do was make me play the entire campaign all over again. You can screw that, Nintendo. <<;;

Anyhoo, it's very difficult for me to take a neutral stance on this game because my outright favorite genre is the platformer. It's most of what I played growing up and it's generally what I still buy whenever a company tosses me a decent bone. I will happily dabble in other genres, particularly shooters, but I'm most comfortable running and jumping on stuff, so regardless of how I look at it I'm buying this game come November.

Really? Eh, I beat it pretty quick. I find Super Mario Sunshine way more difficult.

Yeah, there's some good games that are coming soon, as well. I can't wait to get a PS3 so I can play Portal 2 and Bioshock Infinite :D God, I wish 2012 can come already so they can say the release for that game. Looks fracking amazing.

But what's the step/leap exactly? Have you ever seen how other franchises progress with each new istallment? Let's forget about the nostalgic aestethics for a minute. The m.sonic portions added a spindash animation to the boosting(wow). Level design with unleashed style gameplay is all about visual thrill so i have no doubt it won't vary gameplay wise to sonic unleashed except for different and maybe more awesome visual thrills. To get a better game from 2 years ago they could have at least improved some stuff. For me personally there were a lot of improvements in colors like how they slowed him a bit down so the trial and error factor was majorly dumbed down, so that's even a step back.

See the thing is, you want a Sonic game that is done to your tastes. Now unless somebody in Sonic Team comes up and shares your preferences, that will never happen.

The problem with this fanbase, is that everybody has an ideal version of Sonic. Some people love the thrill and spectacle of Unleashe's daytime stages. They see that as a modernisation, that no other platformer can offer. Boost to win? No way. The first couple stages you could get away with it, but later on you'd be a mug for just spamming it and hoping for the best. It looks shalloe, but its an extremely well done gimmick in my eyes. It provides the forward momentum to keep things rapid and action packed, but the level design is designed to make your life difficult if you keep boosting like a retard. You have everything to you need to keep that forward momentum going, but its up to you and your reflexes to actually do it.

Later stages make things difficult, by throwing in hazards and forcing you to boost (the water running sections) some may say thats cheap, but I think its brilliant. You have to consolidate all of the things you've learnt through the course of the game and apply them all at once to get to the end safely.

The whole objective of a Sonic game is to get to the end as fast as possible, with as many rings as you can carry. Its fairly simple. It has been the objective of the game since the classics. The only thing that has changed is how you gain and maintain that velocity. It doesn't need to be done in a specific way to be good.

The Adventures were a step into the world of 3D, and Unleashed and Generations are a mere evolution of that gameplay. Don't beleive me? Think about it. SA1 started out as big wide open (but still linear) stages. It was the easiest Sonic game ever created in my honest opinion. Why? Well, you could simple walk around any enemy or trap that came in your way. It only started to get challenging when they added more bottomless pits, so you couldn't just waltz around the enemy because you'd die.

SA2 was much more difficult. I mean it wasn't SMB2: Lost Levels hard, but it was harder than SA1. Why? Because the stages were more linear and there were not many places you could go to avoid enemies. you had to confront them directly.

Unleashed simply picked up the pace. Its SA2 but faster and now with boost. The levels are no more or less linear, they are larger.....oh they are MUCH larger, but that's about it.

Colours was an evolution, but it also did a number of things wrong. For instance the miniscule platforms that we had to jump onto with less than stellar jumping mechanics. The 3D sections being pretty dull and uneventful.

Yes there are still flaws in its design, but you can't just throw that away and say "its wrong", because to put it simply, there is no right way to handle Sonic in 3D. So far all of the methods attempted are flawed. Now for once, Sonic Team are deciding to stick to their guns and improve it, everybody is complaining. The only way we'll ever get anywhere is if we continue to tweak this gameplay slightly. Making small steps forwards is better than restarting. Who knows we may see the boost become nerfed in the future as the developers get a hang of the mechanics and feel of the games.

Complaining about it not being the way you want it is largely useless. Yes you are allowed to dislike something, that's perfectly fair. If that is the case, then don't play it.

I play games to have fun. I found Unleashed's stages to be fun so I want to see more of it, but improved. Right now I like what I see with Generations, because it looks fun. The classic gameplay looks like it'll do me just fine for my sidescrolling platformy goodness, and the Modern gameplay looks like a blast. Whether that changes by the time I get to play it myself is yet to be determined.

I too have ideas for what I want Sonic to be. However, I realise that what I want specifically is never going to happen, unless I somehow replace Takashi Iizuka in the future.

• Thumbs Up 5

Because Nintendo unlike Sega have been good for the last ten years, and can pretty much get away with anything.

I don't know to be perfectly honest, I don't thing everyone loved SMG2, because I bash it too for being nothing more than a polished up Galaxy, but Nintendo already have Mario's style down, while Sonic is still struggling with his.

• Thumbs Up 1

See the thing is, you want a Sonic game that is done to your tastes. Now unless somebody in Sonic Team comes up and shares your preferences, that will never happen.

The problem with this fanbase, is that everybody has an ideal version of Sonic. Some people love the thrill and spectacle of Unleashe's daytime stages. They see that as a modernisation, that no other platformer can offer. Boost to win? No way. The first couple stages you could get away with it, but later on you'd be a mug for just spamming it and hoping for the best. It looks shalloe, but its an extremely well done gimmick in my eyes. It provides the forward momentum to keep things rapid and action packed, but the level design is designed to make your life difficult if you keep boosting like a retard. You have everything to you need to keep that forward momentum going, but its up to you and your reflexes to actually do it.

Later stages make things difficult, by throwing in hazards and forcing you to boost (the water running sections) some may say thats cheap, but I think its brilliant. You have to consolidate all of the things you've learnt through the course of the game and apply them all at once to get to the end safely.

The whole objective of a Sonic game is to get to the end as fast as possible, with as many rings as you can carry. Its fairly simple. It has been the objective of the game since the classics. The only thing that has changed is how you gain and maintain that velocity. It doesn't need to be done in a specific way to be good.

The Adventures were a step into the world of 3D, and Unleashed and Generations are a mere evolution of that gameplay. Don't beleive me? Think about it. SA1 started out as big wide open (but still linear) stages. It was the easiest Sonic game ever created in my honest opinion. Why? Well, you could simple walk around any enemy or trap that came in your way. It only started to get challenging when they added more bottomless pits, so you couldn't just waltz around the enemy because you'd die.

SA2 was much more difficult. I mean it wasn't SMB2: Lost Levels hard, but it was harder than SA1. Why? Because the stages were more linear and there were not many places you could go to avoid enemies. you had to confront them directly.

Unleashed simply picked up the pace. Its SA2 but faster and now with boost. The levels are no more or less linear, they are larger.....oh they are MUCH larger, but that's about it.

Colours was an evolution, but it also did a number of things wrong. For instance the miniscule platforms that we had to jump onto with less than stellar jumping mechanics. The 3D sections being pretty dull and uneventful.

Yes there are still flaws in its design, but you can't just throw that away and say "its wrong", because to put it simply, there is no right way to handle Sonic in 3D. So far all of the methods attempted are flawed. Now for once, Sonic Team are deciding to stick to their guns and improve it, everybody is complaining. The only way we'll ever get anywhere is if we continue to tweak this gameplay slightly. Making small steps forwards is better than restarting. Who knows we may see the boost become nerfed in the future as the developers get a hang of the mechanics and feel of the games.

Complaining about it not being the way you want it is largely useless. Yes you are allowed to dislike something, that's perfectly fair. If that is the case, then don't play it.

I play games to have fun. I found Unleashed's stages to be fun so I want to see more of it, but improved. Right now I like what I see with Generations, because it looks fun. The classic gameplay looks like it'll do me just fine for my sidescrolling platformy goodness, and the Modern gameplay looks like a blast. Whether that changes by the time I get to play it myself is yet to be determined.

I too have ideas for what I want Sonic to be. However, I realise that what I want specifically is never going to happen, unless I somehow replace Takashi Iizuka in the future.

Amen, bro. That's EXACTLY what I think of Modern Sonic right now: a constant evolution. :D

Because Nintendo unlike Sega have been good for the last ten years, and can pretty much get away with anything.

I don't know to be perfectly honest, I don't thing everyone loved SMG2, because I bash it too for being nothing more than a polished up Galaxy, but Nintendo already have Mario's style down, while Sonic is still struggling with his.

Yeah, when I saw SMG2 I was like, F*ck, AGAIN?! C'MON, NINTENDO! THINK UP SOMETHING NEW FOR ONCE!

Also, you have to remember: SEGA losing in the console wars just screwed up Sonic real bad.

And Sonic's first REAL 3D game was in the SEGA Dreamcast.

Mario's was in N64.

We're talking about ONE WHOLE GENERATION! Mario sure had a LOT of room and time for improvement. Five years of time, to be more precise. Sonic had three, if we're going from SA1 to SA 2. I think he did pretty damn good. :3

Yeah, when I saw SMG2 I was like, F*ck, AGAIN?! C'MON, NINTENDO! THINK UP SOMETHING NEW FOR ONCE!

Every time I see someone say this about Super Mario Galaxy 2 or New Super Mario Bros. Wii, I want to groan. And people call Generations an evolution.

Direct sequels that play near identical to the original aren't evil, guys. Mario's done it before, Sonic's done it before (Sonic 2, Rush Adventure). Mega Man is also infamous for this. I have no qualms about companies making sequels that polish up the original if the formula is solid.

Edited by Sean
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Diogenes was right though, when he said Mario's games leave little room for improvement. It's because Unleashed was less than great that this game will make people nervous. Colors improved on the idea with Wisps and tweaks to the formula but Generations does need to step it up. If you want to defend Generations how can you also attack Galaxy 2?

*clap**clap* EXACTLY, the perfect examples are the Galaxy games...Galaxy 2 was intended to be Galaxy 1.5 (basically Galaxy 1 with the addition of Yoshi and some tweaks), but Nintendo had so many new ideas that they just decided to make it a sequel. The irony is that all those 'new' ideas were SEVERELY underused (seriously you use Cloud and Rock Mario like only 4 times in the ENTIRE GAME)!!

But you know, according to the world of gaming...Mario is God and he can do anything he likes without people bitching <_< I loved Galaxy 2 at first but now it absolutely sucks (for me at least) but there's something about Sonic games which make me come back for more, even after I've finished the game long ago...what is it you ask? Well, it's the adrenaline rush and excitement the games give me, not to mention the fact that there's nothing quite like Sonic games. I've bought Sonic Unleashed since it launched and I still play it to this day. Kick-Ass music, super fast gameplay, the wacky worlds the games are set in (ala Colours)...it's very refreshing. Sonic is Awesome and I'm very proud to be a fan of Sonic! I still like Mario games but Sonic games are just better IMO :D

P.S - Did I go overboard?

Edited by KrazyBean14

It's because Unleashed was less than great that this game will make people nervous.

What you mean by people? Many found the Daytime stuff great.

"Concerns" mostly applies to the Sonic Fanbase when the game isn't full off alt. gameplay.

People think that Generations isn't improving because the Unleashed formula was flawed to begin with. In some ways, inherently so.

Edited by Sean
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I don't think we should see Generations as that "ultimate step" though as far as progression since this game is essentially just that: a recap of the best of the best. If anything its best to expect very subtle enhancements, and such as I have stated.

Now, this does beg the question as you've mentioned with a stale formula. I don't think that will be a neccesary concern, at least for now, since the main selling point here isn't what's new, but what isn't. For owners of only a PS3 and/or 360 this will be their Sonic Colors. Not everyone played that game afterall, so there is always that audience, as well as those who are won over by Classic Sonic and the retro catalog alone.

Keeping the series fresh is certainly something that will have to be addressed eventually and I'm sure Sonic Team is more than aware of it. For the time being, It will have to settle for selling its obvious retro appeal for now. That alone should be enough to buy Sega time for the next game.

Edit:

That's a good point. The interesting thing about Sega is that they are not the type to revisit retro locations/remix certain tunes as much as Nintendo, which ironically, gives them a wealth to work with when in a pinch. Of course, this also means the expectation for new things can slightly backfire when you do go the nintendo route with this. Its certainly a unique opportunity Sega is taking here. Its quite rare for Sonic to revisit on this grand of a scale, so long as they use this method of game design sparingly as they have done in the past, I don't see any harm really. :)

Edit2: wow, this post really is getting kinda long. This Pizza has me me wound up! >.<

Edited by the blu blur
  • Thumbs Up 1

What you mean by people? Many found the Daytime stuff great.

Many found it too fast and self-playing. I'm trying to be neutral here, they are valid complaints. All I'm trying to say is, I hope changes are applied from Colors in addition to whatever new gimmicks they cooked up. Faster is not better and I hope Colors wasn't an accidental improvement caused by porting Unleashed style to the Wii.

Edited by Dabnikz

Keeping the series fresh is certainly something that will have to be addressed eventually and I'm sure Sonic Team is more than aware of it. For the time being, It will have to settle for selling its obvious retro appeal for now. That alone should be enough to buy Sega time for the next game.

That's assuming they're doing that you know. Quite.gif And thinking that they'll learn from their mistakes and use those long hours in the office to better themselves rather than sit around doing nothing and watching nyan cat is such a pipe dream. They obviously think they've got this now and won't make any more attempts to make the next games better than they are now, as they don't have the mental capacity between their 100 or so craniums to eventually get the physics, controls, or mechanics right, not mention how their all coincidentally deaf for not hearing our complaints like, ever. Now get back over here and join this grumpy party.

[/obvious sarcasm]

[/butthurtfrompastarguments]

Edited by Inferno

Many found it too fast and self-playing. I'm trying to be neutral here, they are valid complaints. All I'm trying to say is, I hope changes are applied from Colors in addition to whatever new gimmicks they cooked up. Faster is not better and I hope Colors wasn't an accidental improvement caused by porting Unleashed style to the Wii.

Guess so,just found "people" to be a bit too huge of a generelazition.

I'm sure some impovments from Colors will make it into this, but you can still have it plenty fast with slower sections,just need to tweak on Controls.

That's assuming they're doing that you know. Quite.gif

lol, well considering the surprise that is Classic Sonic's gameplay, I feel more...<.< >.>..."neutrally optimistic" in Sonic Team's ability to plan ahead than before.

Of course, I'm in no means saying that I'll be throwing my hands up assuming that next Sonic game = GOTY 20XX OMG!!! or anything. These things take time, and they are showing more and more something we can trust. That's the key.

I think Sega will continue to surprise us though as they have done with Generations. I do hope they don't get too contempt as well, as there is much work left to be done in keeping the positive momentum going, as well as finding new ways to exploit Sonic's nature in gameplay. I have my share of ideas, and a few of them are being done as we speak, so that is a good sign. B)

Edited by the blu blur
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm also aware that Sonic Team has a long way to go to get to that ideal Sonic game. I think they could afford to try a little harder and brainstorm a little more in the boardroom. Though, sometimes I can't stand it when people make it out like the S.Team's not even trying to improve, and basically associate Iizuka as the word DERP in human form. :r

I dunno, these days I try to stay as neutral as I can but I just can't help leaning towards the positive side of things sometimes despite knowing I may get burned in the end. Though to be honest the only real time I truly got "burned" was with Sonic '06, and even then I wasn't totally "well done" by the experience but more like "medium rare."

lol food analogies...>w>

I agree. It's not that I dislike the way the games play today, it's just that Sega have done very little to actually expand on it and make it better. The Unleashed gameplay alone is shallow, but there's a lot that can be done with it and Sega don't look like they're willing to improve it beyond minor control tweaks.

Every time I see someone say this about Super Mario Galaxy 2 or New Super Mario Bros. Wii, I want to groan. And people call Generations an evolution.

Direct sequels that play near identical to the original aren't evil, guys. Mario's done it before, Sonic's done it before (Sonic 2, Rush Adventure). Mega Man is also infamous for this. I have no qualms about companies making sequels that polish up the original if the formula is solid.

Super mario galaxy was just perfection if not close. How they made a better sequal by making better designed levels is just beyond me. But bringing nintendo into the conversation only puts sonic to bigger shame.

People think that Generations isn't improving because the Unleashed formula was flawed to begin with. In some ways, inherently so.

This. Sonic colors showed that they could still make something decent out of it, but it's flaws and limitations are obvious. Building and improving from an allready solid foundation is certainly not a bad thing if you can make something better out of it. Sonic unleashed, knowing the formula is just going to feel the same.

Classic sonic gameplay is the biggest offender in all of this tbh. It's obvious that they actually tried to replicate the original physics this time but if they're not able to replicate them now, when will they? I know why I liked the classics over any other platformer that existed. I cannot settle for something that I probably would have liked less

Edited by Jaouad

After every 3D games sans Colors has come to be considered outright crap, retroactively or otherwise, the style's presentation should be the least surprising element of this whole campaign.They found something that finally garnered critical acclaim, so you bet their asses they're going to stick to it without deviating too much at the risk of pissing people off yet again and further marring the brand's name. "Don't fix what isn't broke," as we used to say. Well, they're doing just that, so let's drink and be merreh. tongue.gif

I think coming from an entirely neutral perspective, Sonic Generations still looks incredibly interesting for two reasons.

1) The return of classic Sonic gameplay combined with the graphical power of modern consoles.

And 2) The fact that classic and modern stages are being re-imagined twice over in one game.

You can not really be a fan of the franchise but if you're a gamer (Hell, in some cases you might not even have to) then you probably know of Sonic the Hedgehog or have played at least one classic or modern Sonic game at one time in your life. It's Sonic the Motherfucking Hedgehog.

With this game being marketed as a celebration of 20 years of Sonic, I must say, this is one of the best ways Sega could have done things. Hard not to turn your head and say 'Oh wow'.

Edited by Chooch
  • Thumbs Up 1