Awoo.

So...anyone believe this will unite the fanbase?

CrownSlayers Shadow

I think the added variety of play-styles in the Sonic series is great, and befitting of a mascot character. There are more accessible varieties for the player to decide from. I happen to like all the major interpretations of the inherent Sonic gameplay mechanic, but I'm certain some people will like one over the other.

A friend of mine I talked to absolutely hates the Unleashed style Sonic, but loves the Adventure series and the classics. There are people who can't stand the classics and prefer the Rush and Unleashed gameplay. If we stick with one mechanic, SEGA's going to lose a huge market, and will not make as much money than if they continued to supplement the variety of play-styles.

If we were to expect a major Sonic release every 2-3 years, with a spinoff and a major handheld title inbetween said 2-3 years, we would receive a consistent and timely release of Sonic games, each catering to a specific group. I'm not saying it needs to be like this, and I'm certain that there are better ways to schedule the production of these games, but I'm just trying to illustrate the point that it's possible to maintain several interpretations of Sonic without bothering or annoying fans.

The idea is to make games that will cater to as many people possible, and that mindset of accessibility is definitely key for Sonic, since he's a flagship character, and people are going to want to be able to play Sonic and find something good for a future purpose. There have been 4 successful kinds of Sonic, with 3 still being used regularly. Unleashed, Rush and Classic are still used, while we haven't seen the Adventure formula since '06. I think it'd be great to revive that formula, minus the unnecessary and unfitting gameplay diversions and focus on the Sonic-style alone, with other characters behaving similar with their own abilities and such.

I'm not sure where my post has blurred between rationality and being a pipe-dream, but I think what I said isn't unreasonable. Is it?

Edited by Indigo Rush
  • Thumbs Up 3

If its one thing I've learned in the past three and a half years, its the fact that almost nothing can please everyone at once. It happens everywhere, and in everything; in this case, in every fanbase you can think of.

I should know, 'cause as small as it may be, the Klonoa fanbase is the exact same thing. There's people who prefer Klonoa as he appeared in 1997 and nothing else, there's people like me who think Klonoa should be awesome and transform, etc.

It is simply human nature. You cannot change that. Ever. And I extremely doubt Generations will change that.

• Thumbs Up 1

The irony of it all is, he's hidden or flagged most of the replies. I wonder why?

Because he's being a moron.

• Thumbs Up 5

The irony of it all is, he's hidden or flagged most of the replies. I wonder why?

Because he deletes and blocks people who doesn't agree with his views and opinions. :\

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh well. Nicohi or EpicKnightOfJustice or whatever his name is, is a clear example of how this fanbase will never be united. There's just too much bad blood aimed at certain aspects of Sonic for SEGA to achieve such a feat without creating an disastrous clusterfuck of a game. Character designs, playstyles, story tones are just a few things that people continuously disagree on, and there are passionate fans of each respectively. Generations could recover a lot of the damage done by previous games, but it won't come close to creating a united fanbase.

EDIT: I agree with Indigo's idea, thought SEGA would have to be weary of overdoing it, they won't be able to use the Anniversary excuse every year.

Edited by Jaymeister
  • Thumbs Up 3

It probably won't cause there is actually people who is complaining that Modern Sonic is a playable character in it.

"You can't please both sides with one game just by including both types of gameplay in the same game. By doing that, you're gonna please the kind of people who like both, and only those people."

What?

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh well. Nicohi or EpicKnightOfJustice or whatever his name is, is a clear example of how this fanbase will never be united. There's just too much bad blood aimed at certain aspects of Sonic for SEGA to achieve such a feat without creating an disastrous clusterfuck of a game. Character designs, playstyles, story tones are just a few things that people continuously disagree on, and there are passionate fans of each respectively. Generations could recover a lot of the damage done by previous games, but it won't come close to creating a united fanbase.

EXACTLY. Hence why I repeat my statement again of "Haters Gonna Hate". Some people are just so miserable about the more modern games. These "elitists" are easily some of the worst people in the Sonic fanbase. There's a difference between having standards, and hating on something for an idiotic reason BEFORE THE GAME IS EVEN OUT YET (heck, all we have at the moment are a couple of videos that don't even fully show off the first level).

Sad, sad times :-\

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm of the opinion that the fanbase has far too many different sects that are completely different from each other for us to ever be united. Sonic Team is better off just appealing to both of the largest groups (classic and modern fans) by giving them both what they want. This year, they ad the right idea: release Sonic 4 and Sonic Colors around the same time, so that fans of the classics can play what they want, modern fans can play what they want, and fans of both are twice as happy. Of course, it didn't work in this particular scenario, but they still had the right idea. d:

I'm personnally just annoyed by the people who say that SA2 perfected 3d Sonic gameplay, yet trash away Unleashed's gameplay. Makes no sense to me, basic traits of Level design are identical in SA2 and Unleashed,both are very Crash Bandicoot style. Hell I felt I was more plattforming in SU than in SA2, just for a bit.

I agree that I want more 3D plattforming and better controls for that, but exploring in a 3d area, has never been fun for me in a Sonic. In SA1 it was glitchy and spazzy, in SA2 there was nothing to explore,as the Level design was very narrow.

Edited by ChikaBoing

What?
Imagine a game that's 1/2 The Sonic Game You've Always Wanted, and 1/2 Big's Fishing Adventure Which You Hate. You're not going to be entirely happy with that, right? The only people who would be entirely satisfied are the ones who like both halves.

What?

That quote actually makes a fair point, becasue if you don't like a particular playstyle in the game, you'll only enjoy half of it. Therefore, the ones who enjoy both (like me :D) will be the ones who benefit most. Though, to be frank, I totally missed this quote as it was hidden so well in "Modern Sonic bawwww" of the post.

Imagine a game that's 1/2 The Sonic Game You've Always Wanted, and 1/2 Big's Fishing Adventure Which You Hate. You're not going to be entirely happy with that, right? The only people who would be entirely satisfied are the ones who like both halves.

Reminds me of Unleashed.....

....EXACTLY of Unleashed.....

Here's the difference: None of the alternate playstyles Sonic Team brought in before had anything to do with the Sonic series. Sonic has always been known as a speedy platformer. C. Sonic has more of an emphasis on platforming, but still has speed. M. Sonic has more of an emphasis on speed, but still has platforming. C. Sonic is different, yet somehow the same as M. Sonic. M. Sonic is different, yet somehow the same as C. Sonic. Big is different, but... no, he's just different. That's why the Adventure games' reception is so mixed.

I'm personnally just annoyed by the people who say that SA2 perfected 3d Sonic gameplay, yet trash away Unleashed's gameplay. Makes no sense to me, basic traits of Level design are identical in SA2 and Unleashed,both are very Crash Bandicoot style. Hell I felt I was more plattforming in SU than in SA2, just for a bit.

I agree that I want more 3D plattforming and better controls for that, but exploring in a 3d area, has never been fun for me in a Sonic. In SA1 it was glitchy and spazzy, in SA2 there was nothing to explore,as the Level design was very narrow.

Exactly. I've said this time and time again, and it's part of the reason why I detest SA2 and it's rabid fanboys (fanboys, not normal fans; in case I need to clarify). I've ranted about this hundreds of times on the SEGA Forums before I just got tired of the place and left.

Edited by Dissident
  • Thumbs Up 4

As I saw it, the fanbase was ALREADY divided before Sonic Adventure even happened. It was inevitable when Sonic has multiple strong story-based universes (SatAM, Archie, Fleetway, etc) and tons of games that play similar to eachother or not at all.

This game unfortunately will not unite the fanbase as far as I can predict. I mean come on.... PS3 and 360 exclusive was already a step they took that hurts any goal of uniting anything. I was a Wii only (in terms of this generation consoles) owner for years so I can completely understand the "NOOOOOOOOOOOO WHY SEGA WHYYYYY" of the Wii only owners. But on the flipside, I totally understand why it had to be an HD console exclusive. From an artistic point of view, you don't want to downgrade the visual quality of any visually stunning game if you don't have to, it just really really sucks.

But um anyway yeah fanbase was divided way before Sonic Adventure times.

• Thumbs Up 3

Assuming you're forced to play as the other half that is, which Sonic Team has had a bad habit of doing in the past. Now given the surprise Generation gave us when it was announced, there's a reasonable guess they could break the trend with this game or continue to further force you to play what you hate. I'm honestly betting they may very well do the latter once again, but here's hoping they surprise me.

Of course, there are those who will even complain at the optional content.

The funny thing is that Aknotholeresident is the one who calls him out for being insanely nitpicky. If AKR the one calling you out on your nitpicking then something is REALLY wrong here.

• Thumbs Up 2

The funny thing is that Aknotholeresident is the one who calls him out for being insanely nitpicky. If AKR the one calling you out on your nitpicking then something is REALLY wrong here.

Do you mean on that journal post? That is rather amusing...oh well, none of my business. They're just an extreme minority to a fanbase-wide problem.

• Thumbs Up 1

What...seriously? Aknotholeresident of all people? His views are practically parallel to Nicochi. That's quite a head screw, and something is DEFINITELY wrong here. Where does he call him out, cuz I need to see it for myself.

But on to the point, I guess it's no surprise we all come to the same conclusion over the fandom uniting. But I kinda find this a little ironic in itself the more I look at this so far, even for just this particular question. :lol:

Don't take it seriously, I'm just being a goof.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic
  • Thumbs Up 1

What...seriously? Aknotholeresident of all people? His views are practically parallel to Nicochi. That's quite a head screw, and something is DEFINITELY wrong here. Where does he call him out, cuz I need to see it for myself.

But on to the point, I guess it's no surprise we all come to the same conclusion over the fandom uniting. But I kinda find this a little ironic in itself the more I look at this so far, even for just this particular question. :lol:

Don't take it seriously, I'm just being a goof.

The whole fanbase agree that the whole fanbase will never be united. Yeah, that is very ironic. :P

• Thumbs Up 1

Wow... we may be on to something here.

• Thumbs Up 2

I would show you the link to it but his comments got removed by Nicochi. :\ BigAl still has it in his video, though.

http://www.blip.tv/file/5046590

skip to 06:55 to hear it

Edited by sonfan1984
  • Thumbs Up 1

Here's the difference: None of the alternate playstyles Sonic Team brought in before had anything to do with the Sonic series.
That's not really the point. If half the game is Something You Like, and the other half is Something You Hate, regardless of how the two relate to each other or to the series as a whole you aren't going to be entirely happy with it.

Assuming you're forced to play as the other half that is, which Sonic Team has had a bad habit of doing in the past. Now given the surprise Generation gave us when it was announced, there's a reasonable guess they could break the trend with this game or continue to further force you to play what you hate. I'm honestly betting they may very well do the latter once again, but here's hoping they surprise me.

Of course, there are those who will even complain at the optional content.

When it means that the part you like is only half of a game, I think it's pretty reasonable to complain. Any time and energy going into Big's Fishing Adventure is taking time and energy away from Awesome Sonic Game. Paying full price for a game you only want and will play half of is not exactly the ideal situation.