Awoo.

Videointerview (with Gameplay!)

Ferr

*eye twitch*

I'm sold. I must buy this the day it comes out. No doubt about it. TWT

Oh, so Shadow is in the game? He's not really a new char anyway, 10 years is pretty old. =P

I tried my best with pausing to see whats in the TV's and it looks like we're getting 10 Rings and Extra Life TV's at least.

*ITEM BOXES*

I noticed Sonic's ring counter go up by 10 when he hit one of the ring ones.

Think there's any chance we'll see the elemental shields? Probably not...

Characters in games?! As a part of the story?! How dare they! No other gaming franchise does this! >=(

I can't honestly tell if you were trying to be funny or trying to poke fun at me...

But the point is that the interview confirms the appearence of other characters in the game and hints at them being playable.

Don't give up hope. It is a classic thing. I surely as hell expect it to show up.

So Shadow and Knuckles are confirmed? Really? <_<

I'll wait until I see video evidence before I get excited about that. Last time they said that for Unleashed, they weren't seen for miles.

Other than that, I'm loving the video showing Green Hill. Especially the part where Sonic gets chased by that robotic fish. One wonders where they got the idea to do that, eh?

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

I've been hearing that other characters have been confirmed for a while now (well, all of this is today, so obviously I mean "several hours"), but I still heard that they weren't playable. While other articles hint that they ARE playable. So my guess is the Kotaku article made a mistake in that the person they talked to was saying that other characters aren't REQUIRED to be played as. Which is much better, and what SHOULD be the case. Let people choose who they want to play as. ^^

And, of course, go Colors-style in allowing the ability for Sonic to go Super. Perhaps even Shadow. That'd be cool, too.

Still waiting for official confirmation on them being playable, but if that is the case I'm sold. I already am, but I really want additional playable characters. (Of course, you've never heard me say that, right? xD)

I don't mind if Shadow, Tails and Knuckles are in this as long as they have "Sonic" gameplay, as opposed to fetch quests or mech action or fishing or wtvr.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've noticed in the video that as Modern Sonic you have to press X>>X (A>>A for Xbox 360) to perform the Homing Attack, instead of X>>Square (A>>X for Xbox 360) like in Sonic Unleashed.

Those would be awesome, but they likely won't put them in.

I can't honestly tell if you were trying to be funny or trying to poke fun at me...

I was trying (in vain) to be funny. I was also poking fun at you, but I do that to everyone.

I don't know where Shadow will fit into this. Maybe his appearances will be restricted to the Adventure era portion of the story.

I don't know where Shadow will fit into this. Maybe his appearances will be restricted to the Adventure era portion of the story.

He'll fit into whatever the developers feel like fitting him into. So if they decide to have him in GHZ, he'll be in GHZ. Simple as that dude.

You may find it conflicting, and depending on how they do it, I won't blame you if (and only if) it comes off weird. But given how the plot (from what we've heard) involves a villian clusterfucking the time periods to allow Sonic to even meet his Classic self in the first place, there's hardly anything you can say to unjustify it or anything else that goes on.

Heck, the time screw is pretty much a green light to let Knuckles of all characters do what he wants despite being the guardian of the M.E., and that says a lot coming from someone who takes pride in reminding people of that restriction in counter to restricting Shadow.

• Thumbs Up 1

I just think people are getting 'appearing' in the game is synonomous with 'being playable.'

No, we aren't.

We’ve announced today that we’d have these two playable characters in Sonic Generations, but many other characters from the Sonic universe will show up, I’m talking about Sonic’s friends: Tails, Knuckles, Shadow, etc, that will be part of the story or even an important gameplay element.

So we don't know if that means playable or what yet.

Shadow can be in this game, because last I checked, he was basically the focus of SA2.

Well, that and the fact that this game is made for both Classic and Modern fans in mind. So no being greedy folks. This is for everyone, so suck up your pride and deal with it!

I already am.

• Thumbs Up 1

You know how he said other characters will be in it... but we're not sure if they will be playable?

I might have the answer.

Kotaku is saying. "No special powers. No playable friends. Sonic Team is doing development."

If thats true, then we'll probably see them and talk to them, but thats it.

Shadow can be in this game, because last I checked, he was basically the focus of SA2.

Thats very true, but the question isn't 'can he be in it' the question should really be 'should he be in it.'

Mind you, I could see him in the chemical plant zone sitting on one of the giant chemical vats for some reason.

Edited by Hogfather

He'll fit into whatever the developers feel like fitting him into. So if they decide to have him in GHZ, he'll be in GHZ. Simple as that dude.

You may find it conflicting, and depending on how they do it, I won't blame you if (and only if) it comes off weird. But given how the plot (from what we've heard) involves a villian clusterfucking the time periods to allow Sonic to even meet his Classic self in the first place, there's hardly anything you can say to unjustify it or anything else that goes on.

Heck, the time screw is pretty much a green light to let Knuckles of all characters do what he wants despite being the guardian of the M.E., and that says a lot coming from someone who takes pride in reminding people of that restriction in counter to restricting Shadow.

Calm down dude, I was just entertaining a thought. Shadow is the face of the Adventure era, so I only assumed.

We’ve announced today that we’d have these two playable characters in Sonic Generations, but many other characters from the Sonic universe will show up, I’m talking about Sonic’s friends: Tails, Knuckles, Shadow, etc, that will be part of the story or even an important gameplay element.

So Tails flies Sonic across ditches and Knuckles breaks walls for Sonic. Okay then.

If thats true, then we'll probably see them and talk to them, but thats it.

I'm cool with that. I'll just suck it up knowing that they're still keeping other groups of fans in mind.

Thats very true, but the question isn't 'can he be in it' the question should really be 'should he be in it.'

Should he be in it? The stage?

My answer: I honestly don't see why the hell not. As a matter of fact he was in every lighthearted level of Heroes, and Frog Forest and Seaside Hill are both pretty much a psuedo-GHZs. So it's not like it would be the first time he was in a level like it. It would be the first time he's officially in the authentic GHZ, but the theme overall? Already been done before.

As for the game, where in the blue hell did you miss the part where there was someone screwing up the time/space continuum or something similar? Exactly what part of that says he shouldn't be in this game?

EDIT:

Calm down dude, I was just entertaining a thought.

I was calm. Why are you being so defensive?

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sega keeps saying this game is for everyone. The way I see it, everyone literally means "everyone." I don't see why Shadow would feel out of place in this title at all... Especially since the plot revolves around an unknown force tearing up the time-space continuum, anyway. In that respect, pretty much any character can fit... and Silver doesn't have to be restricted to traveling back in time himself, because he can just as easily get DRAGGED back in time.

The main exception may possibly be Blaze, although there's nothing to say that it doesn't affect alternate dimensions.

I've noticed in the video that as Modern Sonic you have to press X>>X (A>>A for Xbox 360) to perform the Homing Attack, instead of X>>Square (A>>X for Xbox 360) like in Sonic Unleashed

Thank god for that, now we can perform air boost AND air dash(is that was it's called?). The A X never really made sense to me; as soon as you got the air boost ability, it didnt allow for air dash. At least now A A for homing attack, and air dash when nothing is in target, and A X for air boost.

Anyway I couldn't help but look at classic sonic and think "urgh". I understand critically it is probably a great move, but it stops alot of innovation that could be done. It just seems very forced to me. Saying that however, the modern sonic gameplay is basically unleashed, which was expected and is a great thing as it works. Glad to see some consistancy between how the games play (unleashed 360/PS3 and colours).

I'm gonna also hope for some great boss battles which i hope occur; definitely can see another rehash of the ball on eggmans thingy coming woooooo. I played that on S1, was cool, was cool to see it in SNK, was cool too see it in SA, but now i'm bored of it. I'm either bored of it or Sonic 4 killed it for me loooool; most probably the latter though.

I seriously wish I was one of the writers for this game.

At the same time, I wish I had better writing skillz prior to being a writer for the game. And even then, I'd have to go through the main guy in charge to get any ideas in.

But a man can dream...

Should he be in it? The stage?

My answer: I honestly don't see why the hell not. As a matter of fact he was in every lighthearted level of Heroes, and Frog Forest and Seaside Hill are both pretty much a psuedo-GHZs. So it's not like it would be the first time he was in a level like it. It would be the first time he's officially in the authentic GHZ, but the theme overall? Already been done before.

Thank you for that. I really want sega to add Shadow in as a playable character. And like you said since the time rift thing is being anal fucked there is a real reason why knuckles can do as he pleases in this game. I mean Gawd no more shadow or knuckles love SEGA? Don't ditch them like you did the cast from the 90's. Then you would have some uber pissed off fans.

Sega keeps saying this game is for everyone. The way I see it, everyone literally means "everyone." I don't see why Shadow would feel out of place in this title at all... Especially since the plot revolves around an unknown force tearing up the time-space continuum, anyway. In that respect, pretty much any character can fit... and Silver doesn't have to be restricted to traveling back in time himself, because he can just as easily get DRAGGED back in time.

The main exception may possibly be Blaze, although there's nothing to say that it doesn't affect alternate dimensions.

Shadow could easily fit into this game- agreed with you on every front there.

This looks great and all but I hope Amy Rose gets to appear in this game. She is after all, a classic character. When the interviewer said "etc." at the end, there is still hope that she would appear. I'm surprised Shadow is going to make an appearance, as he was never in the classic games.

(Yeah, sorry guys but I'm a pro Amy fan here).

The game is intended to appeal to classic AND modern fans, not just one or the other. And of COURSE Amy will appear. She just wasn't mentioned off the bat. We've already got more info today than we ever anticipated.

This looks great and all but I hope Amy Rose gets to appear in this game. She is after all, a classic character. When the interviewer said "etc." at the end, there is still hope that she would appear. I'm surprised Shadow is going to make an appearance, as he was never in the classic games.

Except you're forgetting that this game is for everyone, as in Classic fans AND Modern Fans. That was made obvious the moment they had Modern Sonic appear with this Classic self.

Granted, we didn't know about other characters until now, but the fact remains that since this game is for everyone, just because a character wasn't in a classic game does not give any excuse for him/her not to be around.