Awoo.

Videointerview (with Gameplay!)

Ferr

Sonic uncurls in spinball form more than once in the video. WORSE THAN SONIC 4 CONFIRMED.

Kidding aside, it does look pretty damn good. Classic looks respectively classic, modern looks delightfully Unleashed day-esque, if the two are combined in a complimentary manner I will be quite happy to play this. Thus far looks like a fantastic homage to Sonic new and old, I can't wait to see how later stages are handled.

Also, food for though. You know how side scrolling levels get the original bit-form of the stage's music while the modern rendition will get a remix, anyone think that we'll here 16-bit versions of songs like Escape from the City and Emerald Coast?

I am so pumped for this game. SO PUMPED. I love both classic and modern Sonic, but classic Sonic always has a special place in my heart. To see his fat little self wrecking shit in a beautiful green hill homage makes me feel all warm inside :). I also love what they are doing with modern Sonic, and to me this game is gonna get a lot of replay. I love both gameplay styles and the fact that now it doubles whatever level count they put in makes me happy. Game looks beautiful, sounds beautiful, and looks like its going to be something I'll heavily enjoy. I wish it was coming out in June haha, I could get it around my birthday (which is a mere 4 days before the 23rd). But thats fine :D, I can't wait to play it eventually.

Wow, we go for months without hearing a thing.

Then in a day we get awesome video one, awesome video 2, confirmation of classic Robotnik/Eggman, Tails, Knuckles, Shadow. Epic Green Hill Zone music that makes me want to pre-order the OST right now.

And what appears to be 90% of the Green Hill Zone remade in 3DHD.

Also, food for though. You know how side scrolling levels get the original bit-form of the stage's music while the modern rendition will get a remix, anyone think that we'll here 16-bit versions of songs like Escape from the City and Emerald Coast?

Hadn't considered that, but it's very likely. The music in that video pleasantly surprised me. It's like the original GHZ, only remade to todays standards. And for M.Sonic it's the offical GHZ remix I've always wanted.

Just so everyone knows... I am attempting to do a full translation of this video... Never ever ask me to do this again... unless we see footage of Fang... or Metal Sonic.

I have to say this was a very smart approach to celebrate Sonic's 20th anniversary.

Making a game to combine both modern and classic Sonic gameplay in different stages, while remastering old locales into HD. Classic music, gameplay, style, and remade sections of levels for those who wanted that, and all new stages set in old locals in Unleashed/Colors style with remixed music for those who want that.

I wonder if other playable characters will also have their own stages?

I just hope there will be some touches to the Level design for Modern Sonic, just seems like the boost straightaways are a little too long, never got that feeling with Unleashed.

I'll wait for other Levels tough.

So far, it doesn't seem as instantly promising as Colors looked.

More totally pointless things to mention!

1. Both modern and classic Sonic are using a classic Sonic head as a life marker right now.

2. As Sonic leaves the cavern after being chased by the giant fish badnik, his rings inexplicably drop from 100~ to 40~. Oh, and we're back to getting a free life per 100 rings again.

Hey guys what's going on is threa- *looks at gameplay footage*. Simply. Glorious.

Edited by Torcano

Hm, thought this might be worth pointing out. Two different Buzzers/Buzz Bombers, both of the Colours variety!

Twobuzzers.png

The one in the C.Sonic gameplay is the Colours variant with S1 colours, while the one in M.Sonic gameplay is identical to the Colours version/like the S2 version. Woo!

And I don't know how I didn't pay attention to this before.

GHZbeach.png

They really are going all out making this game feel fresh, aren't they? It may be a nostalgia trip, but it certainly doesn't look like it's trying to rely on nostalgia. And never before have I seen so much detail in a Sonic game. Not since CD and Chaotix.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just so everyone knows... I am attempting to do a full translation of this video... Never ever ask me to do this again... unless we see footage of Fang... or Metal Sonic.

I was doing it too xD...but it's okay...all yours :P

"Hoy hemos anunciado que tendriamos a estos dos personajes jugables en Sonic Generations, pero también aparecerán muchos personajes del universo Sonic. Hablo de amigos de sonic: Tails, Knuckles, Shadow, etc. que formarán parte de la historia o serán un elemento importante del juego"

My translation:

"Today we have announced that we' have these 2 playable characters in Sonic Generations, but also, many characters from the Sonic universe will make an appearance. I'm speaking of Sonic's [shitty] friends: Tails, Knuckles, Shadow, etc. who will take part in the story or will be an important element of the game"

- They're trying to compress the 20 years of Sonic history in one game.

- Some fans enjoy 2D Sonic games others 3D Sonic games, the game tries to cater both of them.(Also he keeps saying Sonic 4 was for the 2D Sonic fans, though you would like this lol)

- In the design of the game they tried to cover all the 20 years of Sonic, so the balance won't favour either 2D classic elements or 3D elements.It's not about have new or old things, it's about cover it all. (I suposse he's referring to the visual elements and art).

- Sonic friends to be an "important" part of the game.

- No co-op or MP modes.

This is a rough translation of the interview, I ran the text through bablefish, then performed an interpretation on it to try and make it make as much sense as possible.

=======

In this section it's quite simple to tell what he's on about.

In this year 2011, Sonic becomes 20. The concept of Sonic Generations in essence was to compress 20 years of history into a single Sonic game. In order to achieve that goal, which we did, we went/want to join the traditional Sonic with it's traditional platforms in 2D and their (can't translate this word, might mean, unique? juxtaposed? different?) characteristics with the typical modern Sonic.

In my opinion, there are fans who enjoy the classic Sonic in 2D, with horizontal platforming side scroll action, and others who prefer Sonic in 3D

In 2010 we made/wanted Sonic 4 episode 1, that was oriented towards the those who were fond of classic Sonic. But also we made/wanted Sonic Colours that was oriented towards the fans who enjoy 3D. What we have done with Sonic Generations is to create a game that this oriented both fan groups, we hope that everybody benefit/enjoy this game and will celebrate together the 20 anniversary of sonic.

This next section was difficult to translate/interprit. He talks about what the game is like to play and the merging of classic/modern gameplay styles. When he talks about personality, he might be refering to tone/feel of the game. Like how we would describe Sonic Unleasheds Sonic stages as being behind the camera, but Sonic 4 as side scrolling. He talks about how they want this game to contain the last 20 years of sonic and not just reference to the last few years/games.

The design of Sonic generations is an authentic summary/re-creation of 20 years of sonic, therefore, it does not have a little towards the classic elements of the personality, nor one does not pay attention either to the new features of sonic that we have seen in the past few years. But it tries to cover all of what has been seen in the 20 years of Sonic's history.

Today we had a demonstration of green hill zone, that is the first level that was seen in full/demo. One is not only things new and old things, we tried, as I say, to include it everything

Here when he talks about personalities, he's definately talking about characters and not stages.)

Today we have announced that these two different characters (gameplay type) in Sonic Generations. But also many other characters of the universe would appear in sonic. I speak of friendly/fondly of Sonic, Tails, Knuckles & Shadow, that composed the history. Or they are seen as an important element of the game. still we have many surprises to come.

The central/main approach is the one to create an action game that is fun to play, and that is due to the classic way (Unsure), with sonic classic, and also with modern Sonic. Therefore, not have cooperative nor a competitive one/game. But a pure game of action and platforms for a/one player.

Interview: alex Diaz

=====

So there you have it. Pretty much confirms other characters, No co-op or competitive multiplayer (HOORAY!) and it looks like the game will be old levels re-created/imagined.

... ... Can I have a thank you now?

Edited by Hogfather
  • Thumbs Up 5

GHZbeach.png

Woah it looks like they combined GreenHill with Adabat from SU HD with that shot!!!

OMG I'm so excited for this game. The lucky people at IGN got their grubby little hands playing it!

EDIT: Oh and thank you Hogfather.

Even though I can translate it myself.

:P

Edited by SGn3

The last 30 min of work I just did

Or you can read the one AAUK just posted by Ram The Dragon.

http://www.sonicwrecks.com/news/generations-meristation/

I was... nearly right with it all. We both more or less got the same conclusions.

* Sonic Generations is an attempt to make a game for both 2D and 3D fans.

* Sonic Generations is a summery of the last Sonic 20 years worth of Sonic. No one side of the classic/modern era gets preference.

* "It’s not about new things or old things, it’s about, as I’ve said, covering everything."

* "We’ve announced today that we’d have these two playable characters in Sonic Generations, but many other characters from the Sonic universe will show up, I’m talking about Sonic’s friends: Tails, Knuckles, Shadow, etc, that will be part of the story or even an important gameplay element. "

* there will be no cooperative nor competitive mode, it will an action/platformer game exclusively for single player.

Can I go back to playing Hyperdimension Neptunia now?

Edited by Hogfather

* "We’ve announced today that we’d have these two playable characters in Sonic Generations, but many other characters from the Sonic universe will show up, I’m talking about Sonic’s friends: Tails, Knuckles, Shadow, etc, that will be part of the story or even an important gameplay element. "

Characters in games?! As a part of the story?! How dare they! No other gaming franchise does this! >=(

• Thumbs Up 1

This is just the game I've been waiting for. Enhanced versions of the old Sonic stages, cleverly mixed with well-designed newer Sonic stages, all with terrific graphics. This is definitely some of SEGA's finest work yet.

Iizuka bashers, and Dimps just got OWNED! by Soic Team. Seriously, this is awesome!!! Please tell me that I am not the only one geeking out and wanting to scream "YEEEEESSSS!!!! SONIC TEAM ROCKS!!!!!"! :D

Everything looks flawless. I am so freaking happy!

• Thumbs Up 3

I just noticed that the boost gage twords the end increased when Sonic collected a ring.

I tried my best with pausing to see whats in the TV's and it looks like we're getting 10 Rings and Extra Life TV's at least.

72yq8z.jpg

I noticed Sonic's ring counter go up by 10 when he hit one of the ring ones.

• Thumbs Up 2

This may be how I expected the game to pan out gameplay wise but I am still blown away with how awesome this is. Wow just wow.

• Thumbs Up 1