Awoo.

Would you like Sega to bring back Silver?

Silver_hedgie

What do you want from them?

To talk about how their day was while being chased by another animal who wants to come first while having the same goal as said character?

I like Silver, but he's really one of those characters Sega has learned to handle with care when it comes to giving him a reason to be in the plot(never played the DS version of Colors, so I can't comment on his inclusion in that game.)

Even if he does appear outside spin-offs at some point, it's probably going to be the same, "I've come from the future to save my world" or some other excuse to be a rival to either Sonic or Shadow.

While Sega certainly has been restrictive on shoe-horning characters unless they have purpose to the plot, I like how Silver is being handled in Archie as well.

Edited by DragonSoul

Think about it, sega is going to re-lease another anniversary game that has to do with "time" again, which they've already done more then 3 times in past games. If Silver doesn't show up in this one, do you really think he'l ever come back? :o
Edited by Black Spy
  • Thumbs Up 8

The amount of logical fallacies in that statement are of epic proportions.

In fact, here's a visual representation of that notion.

SONIC'S 20th ANNIVERSARY GAME HAS SONIC TEAMING UP WITH CLASSIC SONIC!

silvahdahedhehog.png

GOTY

haha nice! would be awesome if he where involved in the game's story tho. Edited by Silver_hedgie

You may ask SEGA to bring him back but--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tMyzJSauOg

OK I kid, but in all honesty, I've never liked Silver. I don't know if it's because of the story he was presented in, but I just don't like him. I just think he's a tad bit too fan-fictiony. He also looks like a complete contradiction to the direction they want the Sonic franchise to take with less characters and thinner plotlines. I will admit I won't mind it if I see him in spinoff games, but if he were to appear in the main games, then I don't know. Silver wrecks of Sonic 06, which is what SEGA is trying to steer away from with Colors, maybe Sonic 4, and Sonic Generations in terms of gameplay and story. If they include Silver they should might as well include all of Sonic's friends which I don't think is a plus.

Edited by CanofEpicSauce

It all really comes down to execution when including additional playable characters.

And 06' was an example of how not to execute it like that.

Edited by DragonSoul

It all really comes down to execution when including additional playable characters.

And 06' was an example of how not to execute it like that.

I guess so, but I don't know. Silver doesn't seem like an interesting character to me. I guess it all matters by how he's handled, but he still looks like something out of a fan fiction to me.

I'm indifferent I really could care less if he came back.

And I take it the Op came from Sega Forums? I've seen MANY threads like this over there.

You may ask SEGA to bring him back but--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tMyzJSauOg

OK I kid, but in all honesty, I've never liked Silver. I don't know if it's because of the story he was presented in, but I just don't like him. I just think he's a tad bit too fan-fictiony. He also looks like a complete contradiction to the direction they want the Sonic franchise to take with less characters and thinner plotlines. I will admit I won't mind it if I see him in spinoff games, but if he were to appear in the main games, then I don't know. Silver wrecks of Sonic 06, which is what SEGA is trying to steer away from with Colors, maybe Sonic 4, and Sonic Generations in terms of gameplay and story. If they include Silver they should might as well include all of Sonic's friends which I don't think is a plus.

Another one! Listen, i get u weren't impressed with the game, but don't take it out on Silver. I mean come on do u really think that stupid game would have been worth playing even if it didn't have him. No matter how good the character is (like Sonic for example) if the main plot of the game unreasonable it's not worth playing. Sonic has had more bad games than Silver but people still loved him because the character almost stayed the same, it's the games not the character's that sucked.

Edited by Silver_hedgie
  • Bad Quality Post 3

Silver is an interesting character. He has some good potential for further development.

It's a shame that the games he was playable in were either subpar or a spinoff.

Think about it, sega is going to re-lease another anniversary game that has to do with "time" again, which they've already done more then 3 times in past games. If Silver doesn't show up in this one, do you really think he'l ever come back? :o

Um, yeah?

Honestly dude, where the hell do you get your logic from? Just because they don't use him for this game doesn't mean he'll never appear again. And furthermore we have no clue what the hell this new game is about, and even if it did involve time the point still stands that just because he's not around for this one prevents him from ever appearing again. Thinking otherwise makes absolutely no sense.

If they include Silver they should might as well include all of Sonic's friends which I don't think is a plus.

Or maybe they could write the story so that they only include certain characters, instead of all of them, who would actually be involved should they include Silver?

I hate to be an asshole for saying this, but why are we being too narrowly focused in where Silver can be used?

Okay granted, he's very restricted in that the only way he could get involved in a main plot would be to involve time travel. But did Sonic 06 really leave that bad a taste in your mouth that you've begun thinking that including Silver absolutely has to include all other characters? Because going by the Rivals series is enough to say "no the hell we don't", even if they're not canon.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

(Quoting myself from the same topic on Sega forums)

I personally think they should try again with Silver in a game that's actually cannon. Silver gets such a bum rap just because he premiered in such an awful game. I still think he can be redeemed.

The Sega forums seem to be filled with Silver haters.

I don't care too much whether Silver comes back or not, so long as he stays the fuck away from my precious Blaze actually appears for good reason.

In all seriousness though I think he's a cool character. I don't understand the hate towards him besides that he's overpowered (Which in all honesty, what Sonic character ISN'T overpowered, besides Vanilla?) and lacks backstory and character development and is cockblocking Sonic.

As for the things that are cool about him? He's telekenetic, he's actually useful, rather than being some filler character that just looks pretty, he looks like a literal pothead cool, (admittedly) and another thing -- while he does sometimes do stupid things, he manages to do stupid things without actively being a moron. Knuckles, Eggman, Vector, Big, etc. -- all just come off as dumbasses. Silver's not necessarily a complete moron, he's just naive and doesn't always think things through. One more thing, if DS Colors isn't anything to go by, while Silver is very serious when it's serious time, he also has a lighter side to him, rather than being completely in one direction or the other like Sonic and Shadow. I like him, but not really enough to be all like "omg Silver's awsum!!!!11" He can be done with or without, as far as I'm concerned. Same with Rouge -- while I don't mind too much whether she shows up or not, she's still one of the cooler (and hotterest) characters.

All that being said I've only seen him in '06 and DS Colors so my opinion may be irrelevant depending on how he's changed in other games. And being a character I don't know much about, I... don't know much about him. And I don't remember clearly what I do know, so I'm actually kinda worried this post may have inaccuracies. xP

Edited by Raxz

I personally never cared about Silver. He is nothing more than a character from the future who camed back (like trunks from DBZ) to help prevent stuff that happens in his time. I wouldn't mind him as a multiplayer thing but story wise, NO. I seriously could not see him returning again for any reason.

I have to agree with this. I've never been a fan of Silver at all really. I've never liked his personality, background, and voice. Silver just never really did it for me. As said in the quote, I wouldn't mind if they added him as maybe a multiplayer bonus character you can play as or something like that, but I'd really rather they just don't..

AAUK confirmed (while he was still working at SEGA) that the events of Sonic Colors DS do not count above the Wii version.

Sorry to be late to the party, but in the grand scheme of things AAUK's word means nothing. He was a community manager at SEGA Europe, not a writer at Sonic Team. Not to mention he stated Chaotix as being canon in that very forum post when Iizuka himself flat-out refuted it.

Sure, while specific events from Colors DS may not be referred back to, we can still take certain elements from it as being auxiliary canon material. For example - this is the second title in which Yasushi Otake has established Blaze as being from another dimension whilst Silver is from the future. If they are to pop up again, we can assume that he's going to continue to use those iterations of them. He also has Blaze refer back to Marine, depicts Sonic and Silver as being familiar with one another, and gives Blaze and Silver an Elise-esque case of deja-vu when meeting one another for the first time - thereby establishing the events of both the Sonic Rush and Sonic Rivals series as well as Sonic the Hedgehog as all being canon in his mind.

But of course, if we end up seeing Tornado "Milk" Chao pop up in future titles, we can pretty much 100% confirm Colors DS as being a canonical instalment.

Edited by HunterTSF
  • Thumbs Up 6

^ That.

I’ve fought for the cannon status (or at least cannon recognition) of Colors DS in the past. Something I’ve noticed is that it is the only time that Silver is present in a storyline where the weight of the future is not placed squarely on his shoulders (ignoring the Olympic’s of course). It really is a rare look at a Silver we don’t get to see much of. One that is not pressed for time or stressed into making quick or rash decisions.

It was nice to catch a glimpse at this laid back version of the character. We don’t get too many chances to see any of the characters during their downtime, but Colors DS was a great excuse to give us just that.

Edited by Sega DogTagz
  • Thumbs Up 3

It was also nice to see that his future is finally not a ruined hellscape; the third time's apparently the charm when it comes to time-traveling to prevent the apocalypse. If Silver's character can be expanded from this point, making him more of a casual time traveler or maybe some kind of self-regulating time cop, he'll hopefully be able to escape his origins as a Trunks clone and find a niche in the main cast. If nothing else, Colours DS being semi-canon is worth it just for that.

And oh mah gawd they even referenced Marine~

• Thumbs Up 3

It still bothers me that the Rivals games and Colors DS don't address at all how Silver is able to time-travel, as if the writers of those games never played Sonic '06 and don't know its story and just assumed that time travel was one of Silver's basic powers.

The idea of using the Chaos Emeralds to travel in time always felt sort of stupid to me anyway. I could understand using the Chaos Emeralds to power a time machine, but the idea of just waving them around and opening up a portal in space-time just seems too easy to me. It's like how in Animorphs time-travel is apparently as easy as aiming two laser weapons at each other or setting off a nuclear bomb, or how in Star Trek all you need to do is fly around a star a couple of times: if time travel is that easy, why doesn't it happen all the time? The whole series should be about time travel if it's that easy.

And if Silver's future isn't a hell hole, what's the point of him coming to the present? He may as well just there if people want him that badly.

And if Silver's future isn't a hell hole, what's the point of him coming to the present? He may as well just there if people want him that badly.

Let's say it wasn't, but somehow Eggman (or anyone else) tried to end time for some reason, he knew of what would happen and then tries to stop it from ever happening.

Now, would anyone prefer this over 06? duh!

Not me, because even though Eggman wants to end Sonic, he wouldn't threaten himself too, so if he "tried" to end time, he would cause his own existance to cease.

So I could only imagine a game where both Silver and Sonic are constantly trying to convince eggman to stop and you have to choose a sentance to say carefully.