Awoo.

Gorillaz

No more

BRRRRREAKING NEWS

Gorillaz site announced that it's not just the Fall album that is coming out April-ish. Looks like Murdoc will be talking more about some Plastic Beach-related stuff, and maybe even some news on the Evangelist or Noodle and Russel's return. I guess I was right after all whenever I said that we should be expecting more of them by April-ish, haha.

Well, I'll keep this place updated with the news on this New-Era Fab Four.

Edited by Azukara

Is there a movie being made?

It was an idea but it never came into fruition. Originally Phase 3 was going to be this and their third album was supposed to be the soundtrack.

"We lost all interest in doing it as soon as we started meeting with studios and talking to these Hollywood executive types, we just weren't on the same page. We said, fuck it, we'll sit on the idea until we can do it ourselves, and maybe even raise the money ourselves."

I think that quote actually came from an interview about making a phase 1 era film back in the early 2000s.

I am sure they could do one now, with their great connections with Passion Studios and all.

I think that quote actually came from an interview about making a phase 1 era film back in the early 2000s.

I am sure they could do one now, with their great connections with Passion Studios and all.

I think they are a bit short of money right now

November 2006 actually, over a year after Demon Days.

They had a director attached at some point but it got dropped.

Ah well I stand corrected then.

Hopefully they will get something off the ground. Even if it was pure CG I'd be fine with it, really.

It's April-ish.

'D and/or Murdoc, one of you have to smuggle some new info out sometime soon, or summfinksomething.

TRIPLE POST GEHEHEHE

Murdoc just tweeted that tommorrow there should be some news tomorrow regarding themselves. I don't believe it has to do with The Fall because he stated in the same sentence "oh yeah, be sure to preorder The Fall". Because that's not the main focus, there should be some other info then; possibly said by ol Mudsy himself. Continuation of the storyline? New features on the website? New music? Who knows, man, but I'm pumped and I'm on watch for what's to come next.

Also jeez, I'm becoming AdventChild, except with the Gorillaz thread instead of the movies thread =V

• 5 months later...

http://twitter.com/#!/MurdocGorillaz

Something special has just floated up on my island. A small toy trumpet to herald a big announcement. Think I’ll be blowing that tomorrow.

It’s true! All of history has been leading up to this one magnificent, seismic point. From the Big Bang onwards…And now it’s here!

Gorillaz are TEN. Ten years old, eh? T.E.N. What’s that stand for? The End is Nigh…!

WOW! Now THAT really is WHAT I CALL MUSIC! That might even be the greatest album of ALL time. Who’s the artist? Oh it’s Gor….

My island’s made a small musical emission. It smells like a collection of my Gorillaz work. I’m getting flashbacks to my whole career!
Oh boy, something's coming, and it's about to go down. Sounds like a "greatest hits" album is what the commotion is about.. or is that all? He's going on about how the 'end is nigh'. Hopefully this isn't any bad signs for the future of Gorillaz, and is just Murdoc living up to his usual drunken, trollish behavior.

I did skim over them a few times never taking the time to fully check them out. So far I like it and will be checking them out now that this topic reminded me.

• 4 weeks later...

After 10 years there is a singles collection being released, what do you think so far about it?

Edited by iVYRAVE

http://gorillaz.com/weare10/

61EcQ9Iz0qL.jpg

Gorillaz: The Singles Collection. This is what Murdoc was talking about : celebrating ten years of Gorillaz comes this collection of their released singles, all put onto one CD. The tracklist?

1) Tomorrow Comes Today

2) Clint Eastwood

3) 19-2000

4) Rock the House

5) Feel Good Inc.

6) DARE

7) Dirty Harry

8) Kids With Guns

9) El Mañana

10) Stylo

11) Superfast Jellyfish

12) On Melancholy Hill

13) Doncamatic

14) Clint Eastwood (Ed Case Refix)

15) 19-2000 (Soulchild Remix)

Limited Edition - 7" Vinyl Box Set:

capturarh.jpg

^8 7" vinyls, with one song on each side, with a box and a poster. Setlist for the limited edition:

Vinyl 1) Clint Eastwood, Clint Eastwood (Ed Case Refix)

Vinyl 2) 19-2000, 19-2000 (Soulchild Remix)

Vinyl 3) Tomorrow Comes Today, Rock the House

Vinyl 4) Feel Good Inc., DARE (Radio Edit)

Vinyl 5) Dirty Harry (Single Edit), Kids With Guns

Vinyl 6) El Mañana, Stylo (Radio Edit)

Vinyl 7) Superfast Jellyfish, On Melancholy Hill

Vinyl 8) Rhinestone Eyes, Doncamatic

( Honestly, I don't see why 'Rhinestone Eyes' isn't in the CD collection. And 'Empire Ants' could've been one of the singles; it was definitely going to be one and even had a single cover! Both RE and EA would have been better choices than the two Phase 1 remixes. )

After 10 years there is a singles collection being released, what do you think so far about it?

• 1 month later...

To be honest this CD seems like a bit of a cop out but I respect that Damon is probably too busy with whatever project he has lined up so at least he's acknowloging the anniversary.

• 3 years later...

So there is a topic for the Gorillaz here. Good. Very good.

Seeing as I've been running on Gorillaz hype for the last four or so months straight and show no signs of stopping, it's time for a general update!

Back around October of last year, Damon went on record to say that he wouldn't mind taking a stab at another Gorillaz record, shooting for a 2016 release date. Pretty understandable, pretty exciting. The silence was finally going to be broken! The possibilities were endless and the questions were coming back in full force. Only two questions were important here: what had the band been doing ever since the DoYaThing video, and just what kind of magic did Albarn have in store for the virtual band's reactivation? Either way, the hype train was heating up its engines.

On January 29th, 2015, Jamie Hewlett added his on fuel to the fire by posting a sketch of Murdoc on his Instagram. Not only did it show that the bass playing pickle man actually did have eyebrows, it was a sign that something new was brewing. Damon wasn't just pulling our legs. Really, Jamie could have left it at that and dropped the bombshell then and there... but I'm glad he didn't. Oh so glad that he didn't.

The very next day, Hewlett finally took the train out of the station and onto the blazing tracks. With coloured photos of the gun-slinging Murdoc from earlier and an older (and noticeably happier /goofier/ healed up) Noodle, Jamie did the world a favour and confirmed our suspicions. Three vital words: "Yes, Gorillaz returns."

From then on to the next couple of weeks, Hewlett updated Instagram with shots of a much more normal sized Russel and 2D with a fancy new get up...grinning like a madman. Personally, after seeing the azure haired man through so much torment by Murdoc, I got really giddy seeing him actually smile, let alone grin... ahem. I digress. The gang is all here.

Phase 4 has begun.

2a7.png

Now of course, there's quite a bit more news out now about the rag tag bunch of monkeys  new Phase. But I think it's time I let this post sink in. What do you guys think? Are you guys excited for Phase 4? Jamie's still posting pictures of the group, and at the time of writing this post he's about to finish another set with 2D coming up next. Or how about the Damon end of things? He went on record a couple of days ago saying he's going to begin recording the next album in September, and yet it's been leaked that he's been working with Ratboy as of late! What's all that about? And the music videos! Albarn said that they're going to have to scale back on them due to financial reasons. How do you guys feel about that?

In any case, let the hype train ride on!

- SpinningSilver

Extremely excited - "Do Ya Thing" was a fun song with a pretty cool video (the 3D stuff will never be as good as the 2D animations) but it was no way to send the band off. I do have my reservations...the media buzz that generated their initial fame as being an animated band has all but vanished. 'The fall' was a little bit disappointing and Damon has had a resurgence of popularity meaning this is likely to be seen in the mass media as "Damon Albarns latest Project" as opposed to the latest Gorillaz release, despite the name and Hewletts involvement.

Saying all that, I saw the Plastic Beach tour live in 2011, I have the Kid Robot figures on my shelf, I re-read Rise of the Orge just recently - I am ready for more. If anyone is reading this thread and not entirely familiar with Gorillaz lore - I dare you to at least read their TVtropes page and not be intrigued! 

• Thumbs Up 2

• 5 months later...

HHEY EVERYONE DID YOU SEE THIS, PREPARE YOUR EARS FOR THE MOST EPIC THING 5EVAH

*sobs*

this is actually what introduced me to the gorillaz rip

ANYWAYS

So, we have a Gorillaz topic here, eh? I love their music, it's so... different from most music, it's great.

noodle what happened why are you here ANSWERS

Edited by GamerGirl54321
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 2 months later...

http://www.nme.com/news/gorillaz/88993

"We’re doing Gorillaz next year," Hewlett said. "Damon has started making some music around all his other projects. I'm working on it at the moment and 2016 is going to be Gorillaz all year." Fans could even hear new music before the end of the year. "He's quite prolific, Damon – I don't think it will be long!"

YMS TWD edit

"It's going to change – I can't tell you how," Hewlett hinted. "But of course it's going to be different, I can't do what I've already done, that’s not interesting to me. In the same way Damon changes with his music and moves forward, I do the same. It's going to be a different look."

Actually, it seems like there's gonna be, once again, multiple styles, but this time, not just 2D and 3D, but also a cartoony style and a more anatomically correct style. Like, there's an image of Russel with tear shaped eyes and full lips and another with simplified cartoony eyes and lips. There are also fully inked illustrations, illustrations with only some features outlined, a post featuring 2D's face made out of some 3D waveform stuff, mixed media and a CGI character, so expect lots of visual experimentation that's hopefully present in the music videos as well, even more so than last phase's abstract artsiness.

• Thumbs Up 2

I keep forgetting to post in this topic and update people on this, so thank you Auto.

But yeah! Phase 4 sounds extremely exciting, and I keep watch at least two or three times a day on Instagram, music websites and Gorillaz-Unofficial for new things.

By the way, Damon has talked really hopefully about current day holograms and how much they've advanced in the past decade, so keep that in mind if they go on tour again..

(Also my posts in this are from five years ago and are extremely embarrassing uuuggghhhh) 

• Thumbs Up 2

So, I've become a new fan of Gorillaz. Didn't really know about them until GTA V's updated re-release and Feel Good Inc went on to be one of my favourite songs in the game. I need to catch up with a lot of their albums though, as I've only listened to the first one.

And on another note, Loving their album covers. Some really good 2D artwork on them.

• Thumbs Up 1