Awoo.

Sony files for restraining order against Geohot+fail0verflow

Patticus

I can't wait for all this nonsense to be sorted out. I'm tired of not being able to play online or access the PlayStation Store.

I wanted to get The Fancy Pants Adventures and possibly play Mortal Kombat 9 online but whoops! Fucking hackers ruining everything for everyone.

How it works on earlier firmwares shouldn't matter (not that much, at least), because Sony makes firmware upgrades mandatory for games that are still in development when Sony makes a new firmware revision. 3.55 was the last firmware that is currently able to be made into CFW, and that was replaced way back in January by 3.56. And 3.56 was necessary for all games released since at least MvC 3 was released.

Edited by Tornado

You're missing the point: programming code is ridiculously fragile - one semicolon out of place can shatter a program completely.

During development, these firmware updates are taking place outside your control and without being able to anticipate them, thus your code that worked yesterday might suddenly break today and for once it wasn't your fault; it was the new firmware. You then need to update your code to the new firmware so that it works again.

A direct comparison is the most efficient way to resolve the issue, and until this came up, it was practical for Sony to offer it. Now it is not.

I perfectly understood the point. But what I'm saying is that why is it that you could still connect with firmware that was several iterations out of date, specifically when said firmware is several iterations out of date because contained notable security vulnerabilities. And especially not after the stuff for the PS3 hypervisor was released during the GeoHot debacle.

If this happened two months ago when the most recent firmware was 3.56, sure, completely understandable. Bug fixing or not, I cannot think of a reason that a game would still need to be run on 3.55, nor can I think of a reason that Sony would allow said firmware to connect to the PSN developer network carte blanche rather than under Sony's discretion.

Edited by Tornado

You still need to test online components. It all comes down to being able to test efficiently.